• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

zewone

Question.

I have Pokemon X (digital) on 4GB SD card. I'm looking to start using a larger card.

How can I make sure that I'm able to copy X over with all my progress and pokemon?

I have like 300+ hours invested.

Weebos

Banned
Question.

I have Pokemon X (digital) on 4GB SD card. I'm looking to start using a larger card.

How can I make sure that I'm able to copy X over with all my progress and pokemon?

You're not supposed to lose anything if you transfer SD cards properly, there is a guide on Nintendo's website.

I also have X digitally and I transferred from a 3DS to N3DS XL and didn't lose anything.

If you want to feel more secure you can grab a year Bank pass for $5 and throw all your Pokemon on there first.

backlot

Question.

You can back up all the data on a computer if you have an SD card reader. On top of that you only need to copy the data from the 4GB card to your new one so nothing actually has to be deleted. There really shouldn't be any risk of losing data unless you accidentally format your SD instead of copying it.

Seil

So what's so special about HGSS? Playing through it again and I'm up to the last gym. I know it's based on a Gameboy title, but the region is seriously bland. So is the Pokedex so far. I'm really missing the variety found in 6th gen. It says a lot that I'm using Kadabra as my "ghost counter" and that Gyarados and Seadra are featured in a dragon gym...

It's fun cause it's Pokemon, but I could be getting the same fun plus a lot more in other games.

I don't love HGSS because of the region, I love HGSS because of all the added content. GS has bad level scaling, bad pokemon distribution, Kanto felt lifeless, etc etc.

HGSS didn't really fix the core problems I have with GS. But HGSS are the best Gen IV games in terms of UI and whatnot, and while I didn't enjoy Diamond/Pearl, I greatly enjoyed HGSS. I also liked Platinum, though, for the record. I have trouble playing any Gen IV games after getting used to V and VI, though.

HGSS are also great as far as remakes go due to the amount of new features that were added in. There's a lot of shit to do in HGSS if you want to do it. Whereas in ORAS, the bulk of new stuff is RNG/streetpass islands with some Pokemon and Legendaries, which is great for people missing those things, or who want to hunt for shiny legendaries. As someone with a living dex, however, ORAS doesn't really offer much in terms of interesting/fun content. I don't even get my Frontier, in the region where that started. Instead they make a tease about it to rub it in and drop Kalos's boring Maison in =p

Many people harp on about HGSS because of GSC nostalgia and walking with Pokemon. I like them due to the safari zone, pokeathlon, frontier and so on. The added content. Plus you can transfer up Pokemon you've captured in Apricorn Balls, and I like collecting various pokeball combinations.

Rizzi

Well, found a copy of heart gold, platinum and white 2 preowned for a reasonable price. No pokewalker though. :[

Mr-Joker

Banned
Played Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon and man Poliwrath River is rough if you're a Charmander or a fire starter luckily I managed to get some good emera but I had to burn up a of Oran berries during the Poliwrath boss fight.

Still having fun though.

Wow.. so Poocheyena is pretty bad in game. I've never decided to use a random Pokémon that I've caught and it turns out to be slower than a Machop.

I went to Serebii to check its base stats and it's pathetic. I hope in a future gen GameFreak goes back and re adjust the stats for each Pokémon. I don't need each Pokémon to be viable in PVP I just need it to not completely suck in a single player game.

Only good thing is that I'm finally getting somewhat of a challenge from Alpha Saphire.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I was thinking about Kalos and comparing it with past region, honestly Kalos ranks at the bottom of the list as the region is just so bland.

my region listing;

Sinnoh
Johto
Unova
Kanto
Hoenn
Kalos

Hopefully Sun and Moon region will be miles better, already getting excited that it could be Hawaii.

Wow.. so Poocheyena is pretty bad in game. I've never decided to use a random Pokémon that I've caught and it turns out to be slower than a Machop.

I went to Serebii to check its base stats and it's pathetic. I hope in a future gen GameFreak goes back and re adjust the stats for each Pokémon. I don't need each Pokémon to be viable in PVP I just need it to not completely suck in a single player game.

Only good thing is that I'm finally getting somewhat of a challenge from Alpha Saphire.

I used a Poocheyena on my Ruby team, he was alright and was a big player during my battle against Phoebe's ghost Pokémon.

Plus I did a little story that he and my Electrike fell in love.

Rizzi

I can't decide which one I want to play first.
hmE349s.jpg
:p

I'd go in order (assuming you plan on playing all of these, and won't get burned out)! I've played Diamond, but haven't gotten around to Platinum even though I've been meaning to play it for years. That, and Giratina is rad AF.

Rizzi

I'd go in order (assuming you plan on playing all of these, and won't get burned out)! I've played Diamond, but haven't gotten around to Platinum even though I've been meaning to play it for years. That, and Giratina is rad AF.

I've played them all before, but Blue on the Virtual Console put me in a fiendish mood for more Pokemon.

Seil

I can't decide which one I want to play first.

:p

I'd go HG or Plat, then White 2 and finally Y. Just because I have a hard time playing Gen IV, especially DPPt, after being used to Gen V and VI. DPPt menus and battles etc feel incredibly slow especially to me.

This is one of the reasons I didn't really care about the RBY VC. The games were fine for their time but they aren't timeless for me. SMB, sure, I can pick that shit up whenever and have fun. Old Pokemon games, however, I just can't do it x.x

Just finished Delta Episode and so ending the plot of OR/AS. I alrdy knew about Zinnia beforehand and the multiverse shtick going on but I still enjoyed it; music was great and I did not expect a cinematic experience in a Pokemon game.

Overall, as someone who loves Gen 3 and last experience with the franchise was Gen 4, I believe OR/AS is a good remake, would be great if Battle Frontier were actually here instead of Battle Resort but I can deal. I really enjoyed the plot's execution in this game, the story has been greatly improved over original R/S (Wally became nobody into someone I liked (again, thanks battle music), and Delta Episode helped explain and give plot to Rayquaza and Deoxys in contrast to some legendaries you encounter in the game at random. Zinnia was a bit annoying but I grew to like her during Sky Pillar.

Edit: What I really like to know is which region came with mega-evolution first in-universe, Hoenn with Rayquaza or Kalos with whatever it has (haven't played X/Y).

Seil

Edit: What I really like to know is which region came with mega-evolution first in-universe, Hoenn with Rayquaza or Kalos with whatever it has (haven't played X/Y).

It's actually somewhat uncertain. In Kalos legend, Lucario is the first to have mega evolved I believe. But in ORAS we hear that Rayquaza was the first. Due to how ancient the Rayquaza legend seems to be, I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually correct.

That said, Rayquaza's "mega stone" is biological, though fueled by meteoroids. While Lucario's would've been caused by a physical Mega Stone. It's hard to know which actually happened first, since mega stones seem to have been created both from meteorites and the power of the Kalos legends. Couple this with the fact Rayquaza's legend isn't exactly well known, especially in Kalos, and it's not something we can really deduce.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought it was implied that rayray needed a stone still

honestly delta is such a mess that we might as well pretend it doesn't exist

Seil

In game dialogue says something along the lines of Rayquaza having some kind of organ that basically functions as a biological mega stone, but is fueled by eating meteoroids or something.

It is? From what was given with Zinnia, X/Y + OR/AS are in a different universe than the rest of the franchise entries (not regarding Sun/Moon obv). I prefer it this way tbh as a returning player who turned away from the franchise after completing Gen 4.

This is all of course story-wise and not taking gameplay into account.

In game dialogue says something along the lines of Rayquaza having some kind of organ that basically functions as a biological mega stone, but is fueled by eating meteoroids or something.

From what I (recently) recall Zinnia's stolen keystones didn't work and states that they weren't powerful enough, however Rayquaza eats the player's meteorite and that enabled the potential for mega-evolution.

Seil

From what I (recently) recall Zinnia's stolen keystones didn't work and states that they weren't powerful enough, however Rayquaza eats the player's meteorite and that enabled the potential for mega-evolution.

Yeah, the meteorite and keystones, which are probably from meteorites since that's the rough explanation for Hoenn's mega stones in general, act as fuel for his mega evolution powers. I think there's a scientist that explains the whole organ thing in the game.

Edit: Here we go.

Boss Doggie

Zinnia's spouting nonsense though and she just assumed things. Hell, I remember a twitter post from one of the devs showing how time worked.

Seil

Zinnia's spouting nonsense though and she just assumed things. Hell, I remember a twitter post from one of the devs showing how time worked.

Yeah there's the timeline picture. But the legendaries and Hoopa enforce the dimension theory, as well. Hell you even hear the legendaries' old themes, because they're presumed to have been ripped from their original dimension. The picture also came out months before ORAS were released. It's possible the dimension thing came into play during that time, or they just weren't gonna talk about that because it's complicated and/or wanted it to be a surprise.

It's also possible that is the timeline, but events change between dimensions. Meaning ORAS happens before XY, and the events of GSC/DPPt and BW/2 happen in between, but we're in a different dimension where the Mega Stones have come into play.

It's speculation no matter what, no side really has anything more concrete than the other.

In-universe, she's part of an isolated tribe so not out of character to spout nonsense, I found it a nice touch if a bit 4th wall breaking when she references to the player about a similar but different Hoenn; a direct reference to the original R/S/E games, but hey that's what I found this remake (and the other remakes) to be, nostalgia-pampering.

Boss Doggie

In-universe, she's part of an isolated tribe so not out of character to spout nonsense, I found it a nice touch if a bit 4th wall breaking when she references to the player about a similar but different Hoenn; a direct reference to the original R/S/E games, but hey that's what I found this remake (and the other remakes) to be, nostalgia-pampering.

Yeah but she theorized only on that part, and the whole existence of her tribe really scream like last minute character introduction that is baseless.

Yeah there's the timeline picture. But the legendaries and Hoopa enforce the dimension theory, as well. Hell you even hear the legendaries' old themes, because they're presumed to have been ripped from their original dimension. The picture also came out months before ORAS were released. It's possible the dimension thing came into play during that time, or they just weren't gonna talk about that because it's complicated and/or wanted it to be a surprise.

It's also possible that is the timeline, but events change between dimensions. Meaning ORAS happens before XY, and the events of GSC/DPPt and BW/2 happen in between, but we're in a different dimension where the Mega Stones have come into play.

It's speculation no matter what, no side really has anything more concrete than the other.

Cross dimensions do exist, but I dislike the idea that apparently that Zinnia's "theory" makes the "ORAS and XY exist in a different dimension" proper, even though XY and ORAS has some contradictions with each other and that it has been established early on how remakes retcon originals.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I think that the Hoenn remake did a good job in expanding the plot and actually making May a rival.

I also liked Zinnia and her sad heartbreaking story, I felt more sorry for her than AZ.

Either way gen 6 is still a disappointing mess.

I really enjoyed the plot's execution in this game, the story has been greatly improved over original R/S (Wally became nobody into someone I liked (again, thanks battle music)

Meh Wally was a loser in the original Hoenn game and is still a loser in the remake.

Huh that interesting, I was not aware that text was in the game.

I don't trust that twitter post since the dev deleted it, plus the multi universe make more sense as it explained why Mega and fairy type suddenly appeared.

Sorry Doggie but Zinnia's isn't spouting nonsense and it's cannon.

Maybe I missed any further details about it but.....did Dave and Busters ever get in the physical Pokken Tournament arcade machines? Or did nothing happen with that/it was cancelled?

Chase17

Yeah ORAS dos a good job with the rival. It was good to add another battle after the elite 4. IIRC in R/S the last rival battle is in Lilycove and they don't even have their starter fully evolved.

Seil

Yeah ORAS dos a good job with the rival. It was good to add another battle after the elite 4. IIRC in R/S the last rival battle is in Lilycove and they don't even have their starter fully evolved.

I played as May and spent the whole game creeped right the fuck out by Brendan. "I've met you like, twice, why are you so clingy?" one meeting later on "Best friends? What the fuck?" later still and your dad's trying to fucking set you up with the creepy stalker dude!

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Seeing all these fake leaks is hilarious, its just a shame I like some on the Mon's designs but know they're not real :/ I'm still salty over cactus owl and water platypus from BW2 days.

Top Bottom