• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Nightbird

in the corocoro scan

and yes, Complete has snake heads for the tendrils

cd3.gif

Where is this from?

Remember: we're talking about Game Freak, the same company that disabled Miiverse screenshots in their games for no reason, disabled 3D in their 3DS games and also have huge performance issues on the sixth gen games.

Those last two are technical issues, not something that they just decided to do (and 3D is not entirely disabled). The Miiverse one is super weird, but I'm sure there was some reason for it, even if it was dumb. They were probably afraid of what kind of images people might be able to post.

Would any kind soul be willing to trade me a ditto? I just got some starters from my friend and we'd really like some spares!

The only cool thing I've got is a shiny sceptile I got from wonder trading..

My 3ds name is MrShine and fc is 4382 3416 7697

WPS

Where is this from?

Pokémon Tretta, I think. It's some sort of japanese arcade only thing, involving little collectable plastic disc things. I wish there was more footage of it, since its the closest we have to seeing stadium-style pokémon battles in HD right now.

And huh, the snake heads do improve 100% a bit, though I'm still sore that it's not the naga we though it was going to be. I'd be totally happy with the top half of the design we had now if it didn't have legs.

Those last two are technical issues, not something that they just decided to do (and 3D is not entirely disabled). The Miiverse one is super weird, but I'm sure there was some reason for it, even if it was dumb.

I believe the excuse at the time was both XY and ORAS have features using images from the 3DS's cameras, and they didn't program it to block miiverse when using these features (possibly because the games predated miiverse being a thing on 3DS?), so they just blocked the whole thing to stop people uploading pictures of themselves onto miiverse. If the next set don't include it then they're just being stubborn.

JoeM86

Remember: we're talking about Game Freak, the same company that disabled Miiverse screenshots in their games for no reason, disabled 3D in their 3DS games and also have huge performance issues on the sixth gen games.

Miiverse screenshots are disabled because of the Holo Caster which utilises the 3DS's camera.

You may have noticed that all games that have augmented reality features don't allow screenshots to be posted. This is because they'd be nigh-on impossible to police if someone posts something inappropriate.

As Pokémon X & Y pre-date Miiverse on 3DS by a couple of months (and obviously completion of the game was months beforehand), it could not be a situation where the camera modes cause the home menu to not be accessible as they didn't see it coming. As such, it's logical for them to block screenshots altogether.

Note that Red, Green, Blue & Yellow, as well as every other Pokémon game, allow for Miiverse screenshots.

Chances are that if Sun/Moon have something similar, they'll likely block the home menu

There's nothing bizarre or strange about this.

Also, the "huge performance issues" is massive hyperbole. Yes, it doesn't run flawlessly, but it doesn't run poorly either

I hope Sun and Moon have no AR features, I don't want the threat of people taking pictures of their junk stopping me from taking screenshots.
Hopefully Nintendo just disables screenshots when a camera is in use on the NX handheld.

Pokémon games would be locked from the home console in the same way that Game Boy Pokémon games couldn't be used with the Game Boy Player.
So what your saying is they'd be fully compatible.
You know, I never thought about it but that's a pretty comparable situation. Another thing of note is how N64 had an attachment to play Pokemon GB games on the Stadium games. There really is no reason to think GameFreak would disable console play on Pokemon if the NX devices share a library, history even seems to say the opposite.

Eh? I'm pretty sure I played GameBoy games on that
I think that's his point, they'd lock it in the same way, as in not at all.

I guess people will want to know that Pokémon Tekken apparently had its release date broken in Germany, I bought it today and there was plenty in stock o.o I can provide pictures and a proof of purchase if wanted.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
VC R/B/Y question, I've seen some folks with a faux GameBoy border for the game, and some without it. Where do I find those toggles? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Ein Bear

Finished Pokemon Red this morning and it's re-ignited my love for the franchise.

Have just started a new game of Alpha Sapphire. Don't suppose anyone has a Sandile egg they could send me? I love the little guy and want to use him as my starter.

Mr-Joker

Banned
in the corocoro scan

and yes, Complete has snake heads for the tendrils

cd3.gif

Ever since I have accepted that Sun and Moon is gen 7 I have found it hard to really care for Zygarde and his form, since he's isn't getting a game.

Shame really as he looks cool and I was looking forward to playing a potential "Pokémon Z".

Ah well still hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Did his excadrill do you in or was he jus tough altogether.

Altogether. I'm playing Blaze Black so it's harder than usual. I was having problems with Elesa, but this one takes the cake.

He has

Hippowdon with Stealth Rock, Bulldoze Seismitoad with Sludge Wave, Rest, Muddy Water
Excadrill with Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Earthquake, and Rock Slide, Steelix Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Krookodile (not much trouble actually).

I thought having an Ice, Flying, Grass, Two Fighting Types, and a Pokemon with Levitate would make this easy, but nope. Lost ten times in a row. Types matter less when your opponent is prepared for anything.

Altogether. I'm playing Blaze Black so it's harder than usual. I was having problems with Elesa, but this one takes the cake.

He has

Hippowdon with Stealth Rock, Earthquake Seismitoad with Sludge Wave, Rest, Muddy Water
Excadrill with Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Earthquake, and Rock Slide, Steelix Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Krookodile (not much trouble actually).

I thought having an Ice, Flying, Grass, Two Fighting Types, and a Pokemon with Levitate would make this easy, but nope. Lost ten times in a row. Types matter less when your opponent is prepared for anything.
Thats a badass ground team. Whats your team.

Thats a badass ground team. Whats your team.

Liligant with a Big Root, Beartic with NeverMelt Ice, Pidgeot with a Razor Fang, Primeape with a Quick Claw, Misdreavous, and Furret with a Razor Claw.

The best strategy I've come up with is sending in Liligant first. If I'm lucky it will OHKO Hippowdon, otherwise I take an Earthquake and then I one shot Seismitoad while taking a Sludgewave barely surviving. The AI will then send out Excadrill. This is the hardest part. It'll start spamming Swords Dance and I'll try to either lower it by spamming feather dance or using sand attack to make it miss. Switch out Pidgeot for Primeape and hope Cross Chop lands twice and I go first.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Liligant with a Big Root, Beartic with NeverMelt Ice, Pidgeot with a Razor Fang, Primeape with a Quick Claw, Misdreavous, and Furret with a Razor Claw.

The best strategy I've come up with is sending in Liligant first. If I'm lucky it will OHKO Hippowdon, otherwise I take an Earthquake and then I one shot Seismitoad while taking a Sludgewave barely surviving. The AI will then send out Excadrill. This is the hardest part. It'll start spamming Swords Dance and I'll try to either lower it by spamming feather dance or using sand attack to make it miss. Switch out Pidgeot for Primeape and hope Cross Chop lands twice and I go first.

Swanna can deal with Excadrill and she learns Feather Dance at level 21 and at level 34 she learn Rain dance which can help you get rid of the sand storm that Hippowdon set up thus shutting down Excadrill's ability, all she needs to watch out for is Rock slide.

Plus if you're willing to train her up to level 40 she learns Tailwind which can help your team to outspeed Excadrill.

Swanna can deal with Excadrill and she learns Feather Dance at level 21 and at level 34 she learn Rain dance which can help you get rid of the sand storm that Hippowdon set up thus shutting down Excadrill's ability, all she needs to watch out for is Rock slide.

Plus if you're willing to train her up to level 40 she learns Tailwind which can help your team to outspeed Excadrill.

Can I get a Swanna this early? I don't remember seeing one. In Black 2 it didn't show up until the post game on that bridge that lead to Black City.

So it seems excadrill is the big problem followed by seismitoad. Sounds like you just need a few more levels on liligant and swanna. Get liligant to where she can guarantee that OHKO on hippowdon. Get some damage off as much as u can with pidgeot against semistoad as well. Liligant and swanna are your trumps here cant leave it up to primape against excadrill because you're relying on speed ties

Edit: aw damn u dont already have swanna poster above mentioned it so i thought u had one. You can catch ducklett on the bridge

So it seems excadrill is the big problem followed by seismitoad. Sounds like you just need a few more levels on liligant and swanna. Get liligant to where she can guarantee that OHKO on hippowdon. Get some damage off as much as u can with pidgeot against semistoad as well. Liligant and swanna are your trumps here cant leave it up to primape against excadrill because you're relying on speed ties

Edit: aw damn u dont already have swanna poster above mentioned it so i thought u had one. You can catch ducklett on the bridge

You would need to catch Ducklett on the Driftveil Drawbridge and train to level 35 till she evolves.

Had no idea that ugly duckling changed into that beautiful swan. I'll catch it and see if it makes a difference.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Thats how it was in the prehistoric days. You either wobbled about in a static pose to weird predators out, or got eaten. Tough times.

Managed to beat Clay. It was still hard. I fucked up and didn't teach Swanna Rain Dance so I had to get my Vulpix out of the PC and used it as bait so I could get rid of the sand storm. This time my Swords Dance and Feather Dance battle went on forever; both my Pidgeot and Swanna's PP were deleted. Damn, does the AI just have infinite PP?

Right after beating him, I hilariously lost to weak Bianca.

Cathcart

How long does it take to unlock challenge mode in Black 2? I played White and I'm planning to play White 2 soon but I also have a new copy of Black 2 available. Just wondering if there's a quick path to the key so I can trade it over.

Nightbird

How long does it take to unlock challenge mode in Black 2? I played White and I'm planning to play White 2 soon but I also have a new copy of Black 2 available. Just wondering if there's a quick path to the key so I can trade it over.

Finish the Elite 4, and you unlock the key

Mr-Joker

Banned
Blerg. I kinda just wanted my first playthrough to be in hard mode. Oh well, thanks.

Yeah, Game Freak had a great idea with Challenge mode but botched it up by making it version exclusive and locked post game and instead of refining for X and Y they just straight up dropped it in favour of making the game easy.

Such a baffling decision that they did.

Top Bottom