• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
335.gif

Boss Doggie

you know, with Pokemon VC games being out, I'm surprised no one made a "what new games can learn from old" bullshit. Those games from the 90's, or hell any nostalgia-based title, tend to spawn shit like that.

Theorymon

This is really cool: For those of you who played in Kanto Classic, apprently Lance's Dragonite is guranteed 4 perfect IVs in HP, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defnese, with Attack and Speed being random as well as nature. I might SR for a Specially based Inner Focus Dragonite, since believe it or not that's something I want to try in Battle Spot Triples, just never bred it because I've had bigger fish to fry.

(Gamefreak plz adopt this for legendaries in Sun and Moon or better, 3 IVs is still hell to soft reset for ;_;)

This is really cool: For those of you who played in Kanto Classic, apprently Lance's Dragonite is guranteed 4 perfect IVs in HP, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defnese, with Attack and Speed being random as well as nature. I might SR for a Specially based Inner Focus Dragonite, since believe it or not that's something I want to try in Battle Spot Triples, just never bred it because I've had bigger fish to fry.

(Gamefreak plz adopt this for legendaries in Sun and Moon or better, 3 IVs is still hell to soft reset for ;_;)

That is cool! How do I get the code for Dragonite? I played in the Kanto Classic for 5 games, so I logged in last night to the PGL, but all it showed was my 3-2 record.

Wozzer

My 6 year old daughter is really getting into games recently, with us working through Zelda LTTP/WW together at the moment.

I was considering picking up two 3DS's to try Pokemon with her. Curious if anyone else has tried similar with a young one? And what would be the best title in the series for it?

I have dabbled in a few but none to the extent and love of Red/Blue. I'd love a modern version of the original, to have a streamlined Pokémon pool and less potentially confusing fluff, but feel it'd be a waste to stick with the aged classic.

JoeM86

CdlD11JUkAAecn2.jpg:orig

Wololololololo

My 6 year old daughter is really getting into games recently, with us working through Zelda LTTP/WW together at the moment.

I was considering picking up two 3DS's to try Pokemon with her. Curious if anyone else has tried similar with a young one? And what would be the best title in the series for it?

I have dabbled in a few but none to the extent and love of Red/Blue. I'd love a modern version of the original, to have a streamlined Pokémon pool and less potentially confusing fluff, but feel it'd be a waste to stick with the aged classic.

Pokémon X & Y would be a safe bet. Great starting point. Not overly difficult. Lots to explore :)

Seil

There have been a couple threads and discussions on this in the past, I remember seeing a couple regarding 7 year olds last year. There'll always be people that recommend older games, but the consensus, and what I remember seeing people ultimately go with, ends up being X/Y or OR/AS. Every generation of Pokemon games is obviously designed so that a kid can start there, and I think it's better to go with the newer games due to them well, having everything.

X and Y have a huge pool of Pokemon old and new to encounter as you go through. There's also character customization, buying new clothes and changing outfits and stuff. I honestly think it's a great entry point. The region gets flack for being linear and stuff, but honestly my primary issue with Gen VI in general is a lack of postgame content for people like myself, not so much from a kid's point of view. I think it's a fine first game experience. I feel like X/Y very much went in the direction of trying to grab new players and also bring in old players using nostalgia(you get a Kanto starter very early in the game, for example).

OR/AS are well, Ruby and Sapphire remakes, so they're what they were, with more stuff. There's some neat features like the DexNav, and being in Hoenn it has contests. OR/AS introduced some things that help more in preparing for competitive play, and there's a ton of legendaries to catch in the postgame. Unfortunately it lacks the player customization of X and Y, which doesn't actually bother me much, though I'd hate for that to ultimately be limited to Kalos... It has more Mega Evolutions, and all of the stones can be obtained in a single game, unlike X and Y where they were split between them...

I honestly want to recommend X/Y as a first game, but I couldn't fault someone for going with OR/AS instead. Either way, if they enjoy the games, they'll have Sun and Moon to look forward to. And they'd be better prepared for those games if they start with the newer games due to UI enhancements and whatnot. Plus with Bank they'll be able to easily move their Pokemon to Sun and Moon eventually!

JoeM86

It's one way to incorporate Squishy in the TCG.

I wonder what about 10%

We know from the images of the new set (Awakening Psychic Champion)'s booster box in Japan that 10% Forme does feature in this set too. Complete Forme Zygarde and Zygarde Core are in a special Zygarde Battle Deck (but will be in the English version of the Fates Collide), but 10% Forme is in the main set

img7170771511420.jpg

Boss Doggie

ash_ag

We know from the images of the new set (Awakening Psychic Champion)'s booster box in Japan that 10% Forme does feature in this set too. Complete Forme Zygarde and Zygarde Core are in a special Zygarde Battle Deck (but will be in the English version of the Fates Collide), but 10% Forme is in the main set

img7170771511420.jpg

I wonder if XY11 will be more Zygarde-focused. Zygarde is introduced by a special deck rather than a normal set in Japan, which isn't unusual, but I kind of expected the western XY10 counterpart to switch focus from Alakazam to Zygarde. 'Fates Collide' seems to incorporate the Zygarde cards, but Alakazam remains the star.

Since there are likely just two more core sets before the SM era, they don't have a lot of time for a honorary 'Z' set. I'm guessing the June/July one will be based on Volcanion, but you never know.

Boss Doggie

funny because in the last episode we literally see Z-2 (the one who kept using 50%) getting abused and experimented on

hahahah

;_;

Daemul

get well soon Zygarde

Srsly... hope that Sun/Moon games includes a huge plot with Zygarde, it's the least they can do to compensate...

Don't hope for anything more than a Delta Episode like plot point, even then that's probably being overly optimistic.

I'm still hoping against hope for muh Original Dragon to show up at some point, maybe B3W3 will add him in.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not long till Pokkén is out, hype!!! :D

All this Zygarde stuff being everywhere but the games themselves is so freakin' weird.

Yeah, which is why I find it difficult to care about Zygarde as why should I care about him if Game Freak couldn't be bothered to give him a game or take the chance to expand on Kalos and its lore.

Sucks for Zygarde though. :(

v1perz53

Man, I decided to play through all of the main series for the 20th anniversary and if it has taught me one thing, it is that GF really needs to do something about this HM bullshit in Sun/Moon. I know this is something that everyone says and everyone knows, but my god I just went through 6 games where every single time my team had a Water pokemon that knew Surf and Waterfall (played the remakes of RBY). Every time. I'm not even complaining about stuff like Cut/Strength anymore, and ORAS at least somewhat addressed Fly, but Surf/Waterfall is my new biggest pet peeve. And it isn't because the moves are bad, in fact it is because of how good the moves are. They are the highest BP special and physical water moves with 100% accuracy, and you generally get them at a point where they are super strong. Using a Special Water pokemon? You'd be crazy not to have it use surf as it's main STAB. Using a physical water mon? Well, why not use Waterfall! And it will have surf anyway because it is too much of a pain getting around without it. There are so many cool water moves I never use because why bother when at around badge 5/6 in every single game I get a 90 BP 100% accuracy monster of a move.

Sorry for the rant, just got to me after realizing how limiting it was on my team structure, and how dumb it was that I had to make myself weaker to avoid having the same moveset on my water pokemon 6 games in a row.

Boss Doggie

oh so today's ep will feature a diff ED

DreaDrea but sung by Serena's VA rather than the original one with Shoko.

EDIT: Whoops, meant next week.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Thought this was nice.

Looks good, though Umbreon was a little hard to see due to it blending with the background, the fact that its signature rings aren't coloured in doesn't help.

Man, I decided to play through all of the main series for the 20th anniversary and if it has taught me one thing, it is that GF really needs to do something about this HM bullshit in Sun/Moon. I know this is something that everyone says and everyone knows, but my god I just went through 6 games where every single time my team had a Water pokemon that knew Surf and Waterfall (played the remakes of RBY). Every time. I'm not even complaining about stuff like Cut/Strength anymore, and ORAS at least somewhat addressed Fly, but Surf/Waterfall is my new biggest pet peeve. And it isn't because the moves are bad, in fact it is because of how good the moves are. They are the highest BP special and physical water moves with 100% accuracy, and you generally get them at a point where they are super strong. Using a Special Water pokemon? You'd be crazy not to have it use surf as it's main STAB. Using a physical water mon? Well, why not use Waterfall! And it will have surf anyway because it is too much of a pain getting around without it. There are so many cool water moves I never use because why bother when at around badge 5/6 in every single game I get a 90 BP 100% accuracy monster of a move.

Sorry for the rant, just got to me after realizing how limiting it was on my team structure, and how dumb it was that I had to make myself weaker to avoid having the same moveset on my water pokemon 6 games in a row.

Yeah, that's why I prefer my Water type to be special attacker as you need surf more often than Waterfall.

oh so today's ep will feature a diff ED

DreaDrea but sung by Serena's VA rather than the original one with Shoko.

So they finally replaced Bonnie's Squishy song...good I prefer DreaDrea more.

Boss Doggie

So they finally replaced Bonnie's Squishy song...good I prefer DreaDrea more.

it's not a replacement, more like for today's ep much like in XYZ15 it was Team Rocket March.

But yeah I love DreaDrea more too.

EDIT: My bad, it's for next week's episode, not today.

Boss Doggie

Well, that was a really great episode and a nice build up for the next episode which seemingly is promising, and this is someone who is indifferent with Tripokalon episodes.

First off this gem.

Millefeui: Hey Ash, are you going to cheer for me?
Ash: Of course!
Millefeui: But what if Serena and I are competing, who are you going to cheer?
Ash: Serena, of course!
*cue blushing Serena and a surprised Millefeui, with the latter teasing the former more*

And that abundance of cameos. Goodra, Korrina, Sycamore, etc. are shown watching. Grace (Serena's mom) went to watch on-stage but for some odd reason she left her laptop open so her Rhyhorn and Fletchling can watch too.

So many characters crying, and the voting is also online apparently. That adventuring with Ash paid off it seems.

Next ep preview, Serena vs Shauna vs Jessie, then the winner vs Elle

Well, that was a really great episode and a nice build up for the next episode which seemingly is promising, and this is someone who is indifferent with Tripokalon episodes.

First off this gem.

Millefeui: Hey Ash, are you going to cheer for me?
Ash: Of course!
Millefeui: But what if Serena and I are competing, who are you going to cheer?
Ash: Serena, of course!
*cue blushing Serena and a surprised Millefeui, with the latter teasing the former more*

And that abundance of cameos. Goodra, Korrina, Sycamore, etc. are shown watching. Grace (Serena's mom) went to watch on-stage but for some odd reason she left her laptop open so her Rhyhorn and Fletchling can watch too.

So many characters crying, and the voting is also online apparently. That adventuring with Ash paid off it seems.

Next ep preview, Serena vs Shauna vs Jessie, then the winner vs Elle
Lol o ash if only you knew how much that meant. Im actually surprised he didn't say both

Top Bottom