• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Kaper

I don't like using the same pokemon more than once, so I look at the pokedex for whatever region I'm in and plan out a batch of 6 pokemon to use. For example, in my current Fire Red save I'm using Venusaur, Primeape, Arcanine, Pidgeot, Jolteon, and Arbok. Once I get surf Arbok hits the bench and Tentacruel hits the stage.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So apparently, people in Black City vanish over time starting at your save file's start date, and I started my game in... May...

Hm.

Ultratech

Why was I never told if you press start in 3rd gen double battles your health bar turn to numbers if you wanted to ?!?!?!?

Seriously? You could do that? Now I feel kinda stupid, though I don't think I would've used it that much.

Strange though... I normally know about these sort of things. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I usually have an entourage around four in the main quest, usually covers most of the types and I can really focus and keep my three non-starters around the same level (I usually do like overleveling my starter though.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hopefully Keldeo's given away with the movie this July. Then it's only a 5-6 month wait for us to get it!

*sob*

Were DP this slow to give out their "secret" legends?

OMG Aero

Hopefully Keldeo's given away with the movie this July. Then it's only a 5-6 month wait for us to get it!

*sob*

Did DP ever get their secret legendaries? I thought they held them all back for Platinum.

Thores

*sob*

D/P JP release: Sep 2006
Darkrai reveal: Feb 2007
Shaymin reveal: Feb 2008
Plat JP release: Sep 2008
Arceus reveal: Feb 2009
HG/SS JP release: Sep 2009 (G/S 10th anniversary)

B/W JP release: Sep 2010
Keldeo reveal: Feb 2012?

So far, we're lagging by a year compared to Gen IV. As a side note, I think it's more likely that we get Ruby/Sapphire remakes before we get Gray, since its JP 10th anniversary is this year.

Edit: Another side note. If Nintendo follows the usual patterns of an annual event Pokemon reveal (just started a year late) and reveals the last event Pokemon before starting the next generation a year later, then Gen 6 is going to start in Japan Fall 2015. Which would make the US release some time in the first half of 2016. This is just based off previous patterns though, not claiming it's going to end up being accurate in any way.

Thores

Manaphy is (also) a Ranger exclusive, though, not a straight-up event Pokemon.

You could only get his egg in Ranger via event distributions. Unique method of obtaining him aside, he's still classified as an event Pokemon since you can't obtain him through normal play.

Plus the parallels between Manaphy and Victini are somewhat obvious. They're both intended to be the "Fairy" Legendaries of their respective generations, a la Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi.

Ah, you may be right about that. So I guess in comparison BW aren't doing so bad. :p

I think it took them like 2 or 3 years to even use the wifi event option in D/P and I think it was a Mew? Or something random like that?

Just checked serebii, the first wifi event for D/P was Pichu? In 2010. For America at lease. Not to say there wasn't events for D/P but all of them had to do with the ranger games or going to toys r us/gamestop.
Also Platinum got most of the good wifi events so us D/P people had to trade for the good stuff.

This is just me bitching about how the wifi events were handled for D/P. Pissed me off.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, I'm running into a small issue. I'm getting beset on all sides by new Pokemon, but I have no money for new balls!

Is there a money grinding option?

Sixfortyfive

FireRed. It's not hard, but I'm trying to get all the pokemon I can.
The Vs Seeker and Amulet Coin help. I forget at what point you find both of those.

If you haven't made it to Cerulean City yet, you can abuse the Nugget prize from the Rocket Grunt on Nugget Bridge. He gives you a Nugget, then you lose to him in battle, then you repeat as many times as you want. Pretty sure that still works in FRLG.

Andrefpvs

The Vs Seeker and Amulet Coin help. I forget at what point you find both of those.

If you haven't made it to Cerulean City yet, you can abuse the Nugget prize from the Rocket Grunt on Nugget Bridge. He gives you a Nugget, then you lose to him in battle, then you repeat as many times as you want. Pretty sure that still works in FRLG.

I don't think that works anymore, I believe I tried it (I'm not 100% sure though)

You know what else doesn't work? Whiting out on the SS Anne after you get Cut to prevent it from leaving. When you return to the docks it automatically leaves. So you need to have a Pokémon with Cut traded to you to see the truck :(

Sixfortyfive

Where's that goddamn yellow glove when I need it? Why is box management always one step forward one step back with these games...

*releasing 20 boxes of Pokemon one by one*

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rippo why the fuck is Mio Touko/Hilda? Mio is shy and proper and reserved. She would never wear anything like what Touko/Hilda does. The only one I can see cosplaying as her is Ritsu.

Also Mugi is totally a Squirtle girl, c'mon.

Rippo why the fuck is Mio Touko/Hilda? Mio is shy and proper and reserved. She would never wear anything like what Touko/Hilda does. The only one I can see cosplaying as her is Ritsu.

Also Mugi is totally a Squirtle girl, c'mon.

Well in truth, Mio probably wouldn't dress like any of the Pokemon girls. So I decided on Hilda based on how shes the taller and older of the girls, since Mio is the tallest and the more mature one of the group. And Gravijah was the one who said Ritsu should be dressed like Dawn and being the jacket fetishist that he is, asked specifically for Platinum Hikari.
Mugi with Bulbasaur, well... You'd have to ask Doom for that one. I'm just glad he didn't pick Charmander.

I'd probably show the full thing if the last 2 members would kindly use the avatars I made... It feels so empty without someone as Yui yet...

But the K'mon talk is sooo intriguing...

That reminds me, what animals haven't been used as the basis for a Pokemon? Have we had a Pokemon based on a tiger yet (Probably, I've just spaced it out)?

You all are jealous I didn't draw you one.
That reminds me, what animals haven't been used as the basis for a Pokemon? Have we had a Pokemon based on a tiger yet (Probably, I've just spaced it out)?

The only thing I can think of that's remotely close to a tiger would be Raikou, and he's not that similar.
But as far as animals they haven't used, they haven't based one off of a dolphin, turkey or a squid. Not to mention all the dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals they have yet to use like giraffatitan, dimetrodon, elasmosaurus, carnotaurus etc.

You all are jealous I didn't draw you one.

The only thing I can think of that's remotely close to a tiger would be Raikou, and he's not that similar.
But as far as animals they haven't used, they haven't based one off of a dolphin, turkey or a squid. Not to mention all the dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals they have yet to use like giraffatitan, dimetrodon, elasmosaurus, carnotaurus etc.

I'd say Raikou is very much based off the sabre tooth tiger at least, but standard Tigers aren't represented yet, unless you want to stretch the definition of Purugly's Tiger Cat status.
It's kind of weird that they use a few of the same basic animals over and over when they could have say used squids instead of the new Gen 5 jellyfish. That said I want a proper Armadillo, sandshrew doesn't cut the mustard for me. Oh and i'll weep if I see another monkey pokemon, far too many of them and all pale in comparison to the Pig Monkey/Ape combo.

We need a Goat, we don't have one of them yet right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Where the hell is my Pocket Monster Hunter avy Chet. What am I paying you for.
LLShC.gif

Top Bottom