• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dark type is a pretty underwhelming type on both ends, and is usually covered by most teams with an abundance of Steel and Fighting type Pokemon around. Slightly better offensively than it is on defense, moves like Pursuit and Sucker Punch make it stand out a bit.
Of course, many Dark types have access to Nasty Plot, but not Hydreigon. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dark type is a pretty underwhelming type on both ends, and is usually covered by most teams with an abundance of Steel and Fighting type Pokemon around. Slightly better offensively than it is on defense, moves like Pursuit and Sucker Punch make it stand out a bit.
Of course, many Dark types have access to Nasty Plot, but not Hydreigon. :(

Hydreigon is OP enough. And I say that as a big fan of it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
LOL. You guys are all advanced theorycrafting up in this whoozit, and I'm all like "Derp, I got a charmander. How do I pokemons?"

After FireRed, which one should I try to scare up?

LOL. You guys are all advanced theorycrafting up in this whoozit, and I'm all like "Derp, I got a charmander. How do I pokemons?"

Honestly id take the leap and go Black/White the option is yours. Id say White due to White forest.

Im playing black for the first time and im really really enjoying it.

Or you could go with Soul Silver thats next in a chronological sense i believe

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Generally, the most recent game is usually the one to go with, but it's more or less a foregone conclusion that Black & White will eventually be made completely obsolete with an upcoming Gray version.

So I'd say, either get Black or White, or skip them and pick up HeartGold or SoulSilver as you wait for Gray or some other possible 5th gen entry.

Thores

HG/SS is a direct sequel to FireRed/LeafGreen. If you're interested in continuity and stuff then that's the natural next choice to take. SoulSilver is generally regarded as the superior version, but I love my copy of HeartGold just the same.

Every other game in the series is linked much more loosely, so if you still need your Poke-itch scratched afterward, Black/White is the way to go. Makes some great efforts to remove a lot of inconveniences from the game, and it might be the best game in the series on a technical level.

It's worth noting that it could be a lot harder to play older games in the series after you play Gen V, due to what a huge pain grinding and TMs/HMs and stuff are by comparison. So if you want to experience every generation you might wanna save B/W for last.

Cheska

I always end up having too may Fire and Dragon types :( I know this sounds weird, but I feel bad about neglecting certain Pokemon/types. Like bug Pokemon for example, sure some are cute, but I find them to be the most useless. Then I think of:

tumblr_lqnhofreJ31r0mhfro1_250.gif

and I'm sad that I ever thought so badly of them!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Speaking of bugs, I just caught the Volcarona in Relic Castle a little earlier today.

This thing is awesome. Why the hell did I waste so much time leveling up the fire monkey?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Honestly id take the leap and go Black/White the option is yours. Id say White due to White forest.

Im playing black for the first time and im really really enjoying it.

Or you could go with Soul Silver thats next in a chronological sense i believe

Black City is probably more valuable later on, given the rarity of stones and other items. Grinding for a specific stone through dust clouds sucks. :(

Hydreigon is OP enough. And I say that as a big fan of it.

He's kept in check by his speed and secondary typing. I think that Nasty Plot Reigon would be powerful, but probably not broken. Every physical Dragon has either Swords Dance, or Dragon Dance (sorry, Flygon) to boost up anyway and Hydreigon wouldn't be able to boost its speed with Nasty Plot. I imagine most people would prefer to just blast Specs Draco Meteor anyway, and not like something like Conkeldurr have a free switch in.

I think Dragon Dance Hydreigon would be more deadly overall. It can boost its decent attack and speed, and wreck any physical wall switch in with its special move pool. Similar to MixMence, but could actually run a set with two STABs. Of course, none of this setting up would work in VGC anyway. ;_;

I always end up having too may Fire and Dragon types :( I know this sounds weird, but I feel bad about neglecting certain Pokemon/types. Like bug Pokemon for example, sure some are cute, but I find them to be the most useless. Then I think of:

tumblr_lqnhofreJ31r0mhfro1_250.gif

and I'm sad that I ever thought so badly of them!

Well you're in luck because butterfree is actually quite a good pokemon!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I ran a Butterfree lead a lot in Gen 4. I'm not very competitive and usually just screw around though. Worked well every now and then.

Butterfree is great at farming items from wild Pokemon with accurate Sleep Powder, Thief and Compound Eyes boosting item holding chance. Sadly, Butterfree in a competitive sense is outclassed in almost every way by another Pokemon. Even when they gave it Quiver Dance, they then gave it to every other Bug/Flying.

But whatever, I still love Butterfree.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well in truth, Mio probably wouldn't dress like any of the Pokemon girls.
Erika.
So I decided on Hilda based on how shes the taller and older of the girls, since Mio is the tallest and the more mature one of the group. And Gravijah was the one who said Ritsu should be dressed like Dawn and being the jacket fetishist that he is, asked specifically for Platinum Hikari.
Gravijah fucking shit up again.
Mugi with Bulbasaur, well... You'd have to ask Doom for that one. I'm just glad he didn't pick Charmander.

I'd probably show the full thing if the last 2 members would kindly use the avatars I made... It feels so empty without someone as Yui yet...
Just send me the full material when you have it, for, ah, science purposes.

I take it there is no overarching story or anything of that nature then?

Heart Gold and Soul Silver is the closest there's been to an over arching plot between games. The other games only really have call backs to previous games that don't mean much of anything.
Well, I was trying to stay away from actual Pokemon characters like gym leaders never mind that Sawa-chan-sensei is Juniper.

Now I think Boney is just trolling me now...

It's the only bug Pokemon I can think of that I really liked and used in the RBG/GSC days.

With good reason. Bugs got pretty screwed over back then (no real good bug moves). I still enjoyed using butterfree, pinsir, scyther, scizor and heracross.

I've always had a soft spot for bug pokemon.

Emitan

Did someone say bug types?

dGGzq.png

You competive dudes don't even try to tell me he's not good or outclassed or something. He's the best

OMG Aero

Oh is this bug chat now? Great, bug types are awesome.
Regardless of how usable it is or isn't competitively, Shedinja is my favourite Pokemon just because the concept of it is awesome.
Kp4bE.png

Ninjask is also awesome so you are getting two great Pokemon for the price of one

My three favourite Bugs:

Butterfree
Scizor
Masquerain

Regardless of how usable it is or isn't competitively, Shedinja is my favourite Pokemon just because the concept of it is awesome.
Kp4bE.png

Ninjask is also awesome so you are getting two great Pokemon for the price of one

These two are part of the reason I really like Gen 3. The whole one Pokemon evolving into two thing was just so out there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not only is Gen V the best for Grass, but also the best for Bugs. Should have had a Bug / Dragon pseudo-legendary, but Volcarona will do as our Bug overlord for now.

637Volcarona.png
200px-589Escavalier.png

250px-596Galvantula.png
180px-558Crustle.png
181px-545Scolipede.png

And super secret Pokemon Genesect

Andrefpvs

I take it there is no overarching story or anything of that nature then?

Trust me, after you're done with FireRed, play HeartGold or SoulSilver. It's the "sequel" to FireRed and there are many awesome moments for fans of the first game.

Then I'd say play Platinum or make the jump to Black & White. But definitely go for HGSS first :)

Escavalier was one of the top guys on my black version team, or Sir Regal as he was nicknamed. Damn I really want to go through the 5th gen again but I can't start a new file on Black as that would lose me years worth of pokemon dating back to Ruby, my pokemon hoarding cannot allow this to happen.

Slermy

dGGzq.png

You competive dudes don't even try to tell me he's not good or outclassed or something. He's the best

Yes! Great to see so much love for the bug pokémon!

*Sheds Tear*

I have a Crustle in my team he is so awesome :3
and i really would like to get a Escavalier one of these days

I really like Crustle too, but the one I caught kinda sucks. Out of curiosity, what moveset are you running on him?

OMG Aero

Escavalier was one of the top guys on my black version team, or Sir Regal as he was nicknamed. Damn I really want to go through the 5th gen again but I can't start a new file on Black as that would lose me years worth of pokemon dating back to Ruby, my pokemon hoarding cannot allow this to happen.

That's what the third version is for.
Think of it as paying for a new save file with some bonus features.

I really hope next gen brings a bug/dragon into the game(unless I'm for getting someone) . Also darn I now want to play through gen 5 again but gonna have to wait for grey now.

Top Bottom