• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

That's what the third version is for.
Think of it as paying for a new save file with some bonus features.

That's pretty much why I pick up the third version but this time the wait is far worse for some reason, I must really like the new pokemon or perhaps I feel that there's unfinished business after rounding up the sages and then...nothing!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That's pretty much why I pick up the third version but this time the wait is far worse for some reason, I must really like the new pokemon or perhaps I feel that there's unfinished business after rounding up the sages and then...nothing!

Bu.. bu.. Battle Subway!

Bu.. bu.. Battle Subway!

You just reminded me of how many times me and my friend got screwed over in the co-op battle subway, finally though we made it to those weirdo twin guys and ended up being weak to everything, I don't think i've been back to the subway since.
Though by nothing I meant it was like they were dangling some kind of plot development which I assume will be picked up by Grey.

Get that fucking Crustle out of here.

Shit sucks.
:(

Crustle is awesome.
AjsaI.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
DoomXploder has my favourite avatar in all of GAF.

Hey what's the anime up to? I stopped watching after the third gym battle I think.

Hey what's the anime up to? I stopped watching after the third gym battle I think.

The dub's on a season break at the moment; comes back with the fourth gym episodes at the end of February.

The original version reaches the sixth gym in a few episodes.

I really wonder what filler they're going to pull out, because they'll be at the league by the end of the year at this rate.

Wiseblade

Hey guys I need help nicknaming:

Darmanitan
Galvantula
Mienshao
Butterfree

And try to do better than last time with Staraptor, please!

LeleSocho

Banned
I really like Crustle too, but the one I caught kinda sucks. Out of curiosity, what moveset are you running on him?
heh i'm sorry but i decided to play B/W like i was a kid to enjoy it more so no EV/IV or competitive moveset the things i like the things i do so it's not a strong Crustle but whatever here it is:
Earthquake
Faint Attack
Rock Slide
X Scissor
Get that fucking Crustle out of here.

Shit sucks.
:(

Soooo jelly. It's hard the road to level 34 huh?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
heh i'm sorry but i decided to play B/W like i was a kid to enjoy it more so no EV/IV or competitive moveset the things i like the things i do so it's not a strong Crustle but whatever here it is:
Earthquake
Faint Attack
Rock Slide
X Scissor

I'm jealous. Once I know the mechanics behind everything, I have a tough time playing it like that. I can stomach playing through in-game with a team of 'whatevers', but as soon as the storyline is done it's back to training. :p

Shell Smash is pretty neat to use in-game with Crustle, especially with Sturdy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Shuckle's problem is its typing. It resist almost nothing (Normal and lol Poison), and is Taunt bait with no attack power. And those defenses only go so far when you have 20 base HP, and things like Scizor can 2HKO you with Bullet Punch. Even a lot of fighting types can just muscle through it with Close Combat now. In doubles it's going to get you destroyed (and it's weak to common Surf and Rock Slide), and in Singles its setup bait and it's a wall that's weak to SR (hi Regice).

One of my favorite Pokemon when I first played Gold though. Maybe if he has an evolution at some point, or receives some actual useful move tutors he will have a better go of it.

LeleSocho

Banned
Shuckle's problem is its typing. It resist almost nothing (Normal and lol Poison), and is Taunt bait with no attack power. And those defenses only go so far when you have 20 base HP, and things like Scizor can 2HKO you with Bullet Punch. Even a lot of fighting types can just muscle through it with Close Combat now. In doubles it's going to get you destroyed (and it's weak to common Surf and Rock Slide), and in Singles its setup bait and it's a wall that's weak to SR (hi Regice).

One of my favorite Pokemon when I first played Gold though. Maybe if he has an evolution at some point, or receives some actual useful move tutors he will have a better go of it.

I think that a Shuckle can be pretty useful... is one of these strange pokémon you don't expect in a competitive battle
imagine it with the EV split trough HP and Def/Sp.Def with this moveset:
Sludge Wave
Power Split
Earthquake
Double Team

the first thing you do is use Power Split to get (way) higher Attack/SP.Attack then some double team for the evasion and then Sludge Wave and Earthquake

Frost_Ace

I think that a Shuckle can be pretty useful... is one of these strange pokémon you don't expect in a competitive battle
Sludge Wave
Power Split
Earthquake
Double Team

the first thing you do is use Power Split to get (way) higher Attack/SP.Attack then some double team for the evasion and then Sludge Wave and Earthquake

The problem is that after power split most attack will ohko :p

LeleSocho

Banned
The problem is that after power split most attack will ohko :p

uh why? in the worst case scenario (hindering nature, 0 EV, 0 IV and weakness) you have ~200HP with the equivalent of 209 Def/Sp.Def if you add something like Wiki Berry (or Sitrus berry if you prefer) and Gluttony ability you can survive at least 2 turns

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sludge Wave
Power Split
Earthquake
Double Team

You have to think about probability in the metagame. Assuming you're talking about singles, Power Split will almost never work as intended, and most competitive environments ban Double Team because you are then just flipping coins to determine who hits.

Poison is a really bad attacking type, especially for Shuckle who doesn't even receive STAB on it and Earthquake doesn't receive STAB either, but could be good for coverage with something like Stone Edge / Rock Slide, if Shuckle wasn't incredibly weak even after most Power Split.

Power Split would be more useful on a crippling wall set using Rest and Toxic. You don't want to depend on Shuckle for sweeping, because you're not investing in attack at all, and even after a Power Split you're unlikely to be too threatening.

There is very little Shuckle could actually force out too in the hyper offensive environment (mostly walls, or Choice Band Pokemon stuck on a resisted move), so it's going to be a tough go. Not to mention Shuckle is shut down 100% by Taunt, takes 25% health loss from Stealth Rock, is crippled by Trick, and is outclassed by many other tanks with instant recovery, or at least some sort of threatening move. Not resisting useful move types is just unacceptable in a game with such powerful Pokemon and moves now. Blissey / Chansey is really the one exception because of just how insanely how her HPs are. Just look at the decline of Snorlax because of the power creep.

And Shuckle must usually compete on a Sand Stream team to really have a place, boosting his SpDef 1.5x. However, there are many really threatening Rock walls you can already run that would be superior (Regirock in Sand Stream is no joke).

And if you're using that in Doubles, you're going to lose the majority of the time. Double Team is not a great strategy for success because for every one time it causes a miss the first turn, you're going to be hit the other three times, so you won't get a streak going ever.

'Strange Pokemon' usually don't work in the metagame, because everything is carefully looked at by a thousand eyes over years. The one time out of ten it works can be charming and fun to pull off, but if you're in a tournament, you wouldn't want to run it. There are standard Pokemon because they do work better than others. Some go up and some go down, but competitive viability is usually established early on. Sadly, Shuckle is a cool Pokemon, but it will never improve in the metagame unless it receives a big boost in evolution and move pool.

Hey guys I need help nicknaming:

Darmanitan
Galvantula
Mienshao
Butterfree

And try to do better than last time with Staraptor, please!
Get ready because here they come in order...
The Grin
Scuttles
Sleeves
Lurpack

Incredible stuff I know, ignoring butterfree they sound like a bunch of mobsters which is clearly just what you always wanted.

The B Button is my friend.

Seriously, one of the best Pokemon becomes... that? No, will not have it.

Crustle is twice the pokemon dweeb will ever be.
both designs are great

Get ready because here they come in order...
The Grin
Scuttles
Sleeves
Lurpack

Incredible stuff I know, ignoring butterfree they sound like a bunch of mobsters which is clearly just what you always wanted.

Dont even bother he'll just turn up his nose at any suggestion then name them
Darmi
Tulla
Meini
Buttery

Andrefpvs

Poképals, I can now catch Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos in FireRed. Should I try for any specific natures or is it not worth it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG, GO AND GET YOUR LEVEL 100 ARCEUS GUYS.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

I actually sort of like DW Pokemon more than Wi-Fi ones, I don't have to start up my game to get them on the DW. :p Missed V-Create Victini due to laziness, but I've gotten all the C-Gear skins so far lol.

Top Bottom