• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It doesn't say how

It's specific for C-Gear skins but it'll work for Arceus too:

Andrex said:
The C-Gear also features customizable skins. These skins may be unlocked using a password then downloaded from the Pokémon Global Link. After connecting your Pokémon Black or White game card to the Global Link, you can go to the Promotions page on the Global Link website. There, you will be able to redeem the passwords you find for the C-Gear skins. After redeeming them, head to the Customize page and select the appropriate C-Gear skin, Pokédex skin, and Musical Show background. Then on the C-Gear in your Pokémon Black or White game, select “Online” and then “Game Sync.” Your new skin and settings should be transferred right over!

If I refresh the OT3 I'll make the steps easier. Of course, you'll have to meet and "battle" Arceus in the Entralink Forest.

Emitan

The C-Gear also features customizable skins. These skins may be unlocked using a password then downloaded from the Pokémon Global Link. After connecting your Pokémon Black or White game card to the Global Link, you can go to the Promotions page on the Global Link website. There, you will be able to redeem the passwords you find for the C-Gear skins. After redeeming them, head to the Customize page and select the appropriate C-Gear skin, Pokédex skin, and Musical Show background. Then on the C-Gear in your Pokémon Black or White game, select “Online” and then “Game Sync.” Your new skin and settings should be transferred right over!

wtf

Why isn't there a "give me all the free shit" button in the main menu?

Wiseblade

Get ready because here they come in order...
The Grin
Scuttles
Sleeves
Lurpack

Incredible stuff I know, ignoring butterfree they sound like a bunch of mobsters which is clearly just what you always wanted.

Thankyou! I ended up nicknaming the Butterfree Nytol Because of compoundeyes + sleep powder. Darmanitan is getting named Raggo because on other word can describe Sheer Force Flare Blitz.

I also have an Arcanine and a Hydreigon in desperate need of naming.

Thankyou! I ended up nicknaming the Butterfree Nytol Because of compoundeyes + sleep powder. Darmanitan is getting named Raggo because on other word can describe Sheer Force Flare Blitz.

I also have an Arcanine and a Hydreigon in desperate need of naming.

I'm pleased to see sleeves was used, I liked that one the most.
Nytol is great, beats my Lurpack name which is some brand of butter in case anyone was wondering.

Arcanine= Baskerville (okay this would probably work much better for a Houndoom or Mightyena but I couldn't think of anything)
Hydreigon= Tryvern

Replaying through Platinum (again) and so far I've stuck with my starter (Infernape) and left Hearthome with him at level 41. I was thinking of having one other Pokemon as a backup which would be Gengar. What would be a nice movelist for it?

LeleSocho

Banned
I hope I didn't scare LeleSocho away. I love Shuckle too, I'm just being realistic. ;_;

qCruV.png

You were too realistic ;__;
you've broken my super hi defence heart with a fissure and i didn't have the sturdy ability ;__;

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Replaying through Platinum (again) and so far I've stuck with my starter (Infernape) and left Hearthome with him at level 41. I was thinking of having one other Pokemon as a backup which would be Gengar. What would be a nice movelist for it?
By level-up:
- Shadow Ball (lv33)
- Dark Pulse (lv44)
- Confuse Ray (lv19)
- Hypnosis (lv1) / Destiny Bond (lv50)

Most of the moves that Gengar learns early on are physical, and he has a weak attack stat, so if you're fine with putting up with that for a while go ahead. Otherwise you might want to use a TM or two.

Yea, it's kind of annoying how the Gastly line gets all these physical moves and their attack is so pathetic. I'll probably replace Confuse Ray with Dream Eater but everything else looks good. I'll just find someone to help me evolve Haunter as soon as it evolves.

Sixfortyfive

And now comes the gargantuan task of transferring all my old stuff to 5th gen, checking everything off the Pokedex, and ordering my boxes.

Ondore

I filled 7 boxes Pokeshifting to fill my White Pokedex and it took about 2 hours. Then the sexy Ditto action began...

Sixfortyfive

I filled 7 boxes Pokeshifting to fill my White Pokedex and it took about 2 hours. Then the sexy Ditto action began...
My boxes in HGSS were almost completely full, and almost every Pokemon had a reason to be saved. I even kept a notepad doc that had them all listed and categorized by original trainer IDs for daily lottery purposes.

Speaking of which, is there any reason to have one of every species or multiple trainer IDs handy for something like a daily lottery in Black & White? I've already retrieved the items for having 50 distinct trainer IDs in my box.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
And now comes the gargantuan task of transferring all my old stuff to 5th gen, checking everything off the Pokedex, and ordering my boxes.

I have all but two of my boxes devoted to arranging Pokemon in Dex order. Each and every Pokemon.

I need Grey soon, if only for the extra box space. :(

Ondore

Speaking of which, is there any reason to have one of every species or multiple trainer IDs handy for something like a daily lottery in Black & White? I've already retrieved the items for having 50 distinct trainer IDs in my box.

I didn't notice it, and checking Bulbapedia shows there is no lottery in Black/White. That's not really surprising since they've tried to excise a lot of the gambling elements from the games recently.

I wonder if they'll even bring it back for the 3G remakes...

Busaiku

Target's giving out Justified Lucario codes with the purchase of Black or White or something.
The codes are unique, so you'd need to get it.

The next episode of the anime has the group getting lost in Bouffalant territory, and donning afros in order to escape.

I'm genuinely unsure how racist this is.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Transferring from 4th to 5th is pretty quick compared to the joke of 6 Pokemon per day 3rd to 4th transfer.

The minigame was actually pretty fun too! I thought at least. Kind of old when you have a lot of Pokemon to do but I just broke it up over a couple days.

Once I get my 3DS to recognize my goofy wireless signal, would anyone be interested in helping me evolve my Haunter? It'd be much appreciated (I'm using Platinum).

Andrefpvs

Poképals, I can now catch Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos in FireRed. Should I try for any specific natures or is it not worth it?

Sorry for insisting, guys, does anyone know about this? Smogon says they're Underused at best but I always thought Zapdos at least was pretty good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sorry for insisting, guys, does anyone know about this? Smogon says they're Underused at best but I always thought Zapdos at least was pretty good.

Zapdos and its walling ability has been lessened by Stealth Rocks and just the power creep in general, but he's the most used of the birds by far. Moltres can be a pretty powerful sweeper, but its so-so speed and Fire typing lets it down.

Articuno, like most Ice types, has a tough time surviving in any metagame.

Zapdos almost always wants a Timid nature, to hit that base 100 speed mark. But Modest and Bold (for a very defensive set) can be used. Moltres usually wants to run Modest to boost its sky high Special Attack, but Timid can work as well. Articuno wants Bold nature almost exclusively to make it different than other Ice types (Glaceon is better at straight up attacking), allowing it to stall with Roost, Toxic and Roar.

edit: Make sure you use Move Tutor to give Zapdos Heat Wave before you transfer him as well. Heat Wave helps Zapdos counter threats like Ferrothorn and Scizor a lot easier, and make it a threat against Steels in general. And if you're going to be using any of them for Tail Wind starter in Doubles, then that too (although Articuno gets it naturally!)

Sixfortyfive

IIRC, synchronizing for natures doesn't even work in FR/LG. I don't know how much effort I'd want to expend on them.

Andrefpvs

Zapdos and its walling ability has been lessened by Stealth Rocks and just the power creep in general, but he's the most used of the birds by far. Moltres can be a pretty powerful sweeper, but its so-so speed and Fire typing lets it down.

Articuno, like most Ice types, has a tough time surviving in any metagame.

Zapdos almost always wants a Timid nature, to hit that base 100 speed mark. But Modest and Bold (for a very defensive set) can be used. Moltres usually wants to run Modest to boost its sky high Special Attack, but Timid can work as well. Articuno wants Bold nature almost exclusively to make it different than other Ice types (Glaceon is better at straight up attacking), allowing it to stall with Roost, Toxic and Roar.

edit: Make sure you use Move Tutor to give Zapdos Heat Wave before you transfer him as well. Heat Wave helps Zapdos counter threats like Ferrothorn and Scizor a lot easier, and make it a threat against Steels in general. And if you're going to be using any of them for Tail Wind starter in Doubles, then that too (although Articuno gets it naturally!)

Thank you very much, this was very helpful! I'll try to get a Timid Zapdos and just catch the others normally if I get too frustrated with what I get.

Sixfortyfive

Thank you very much, this was very helpful! I'll try to get a Timid Zapdos and just catch the others normally if I get too frustrated with what I get.
If you don't have a Master Ball and want to save some time, lead with a Pokemon that has 121 speed, and use it to attack on the first turn (doesn't matter what move). If your Pokemon moves first, then that means Zapdos either does not have a speed-boosting nature or has a low speed IV, and you can soft-reset immediately.

For reference, a Zapdos with a speed boosting nature and a 31 speed IV would have 132 for its speed stat at level 50.

So what was everyone's first taste of competitive battling, if any? A friend of mine used an EV-trained Deoxys on me. Shit wasn't too fun. :|

I did get her back with my very first competitive Rain Dance team, though. sogood.gif

SpudBud

So I picked up a 3DS a decided to jump back into playing some pokemon. Now, should I start with HG/SS or move straight onto white/black?

I remember G/S being really awesome as a kid.

Wiseblade

So I picked up a 3DS a decided to jump back into playing some pokemon. Now, should I start with HG/SS or move straight onto white/black?

I remember G/S being really awesome as a kid.

You remember wrong.

/bagofworms

Either HG/SS or B/W are fine really, it's just depends on whether you want nostalgia or something more fresh.

So what was everyone's first taste of competitive battling, if any? A friend of mine used an EV-trained Deoxys on me. Shit wasn't too fun. :|

I did get her back with my very first competitive Rain Dance team, though. sogood.gif

My brother is a constant reminder that I suck at competing against actual players...

Top Bottom