• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Emitan

I kind of wish we couldn't hack the games just so this stuff could be a surprise.

and people wouldn't make trivia questions about pokemon that haven't been revealed

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey guys, why are Dark types so awesome?

QxFtM.png
DtrLe.png
oC2X3.png

TM8CJ.png
d1huM.png
0G8V8.png

7WyYl.png
Y1Mre.png
ExO2u.png

TrBPP.png
DTGNP.png
13MmP.png

0GGHO.png
2ncHb.png
GYvAS.png
Zei18.png

yuI7P.png
7DV5W.png
FuNeQ.png

I almost want that one of Yui as Lyra as an avy.

In Pokemon related news, Gengar is awesome and I don't know why I haven't bothered using one for so long (At least since Blue). When I replay Black/White, I'm gonna get him on my team as soon as I can trade.

As far as Dark is concerned, Houndoom, Pimpcrow and the Kremmling look alike were my favs. I need a figure of that last one, he really is soooo cool.

Boney

Banned
So I picked up a 3DS a decided to jump back into playing some pokemon. Now, should I start with HG/SS or move straight onto white/black?

I remember G/S being really awesome as a kid.

If you have lots of nostalgia for G/S then sure jump right on ahead.

I almost want that one of Yui as Lyra as an avy.

I think I'm supposed to say over my dead body so chet feels good about himself

Wiseblade

Not a big fan of Honchkrow. When I look at murkrow I think "Hey, it's that dark/flying pokemon with a hat. He's pretty cool.", but when I look at Honchkrow I think "SR weak. Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Stone Edge."

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not a big fan of Honchkrow. When I look at murkrow I think "Hey, it's that dark/flying pokemon with a hat. He's pretty cool.", but when I look at Honchkrow I think "SR weak. Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Stone Edge."

I like a lot of really shitty Pokemon; weaknesses won't stop me from liking it.

I mean, Honchkrow is 'more powerful' than Gyarados, with the same base attack and much more powerful STABs (Brave Bird, and priority Sucker Punch.. and Heat Wave / Superpower for coverage). It just sucks that Dark is a pretty terrible secondary typing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dunsparce.

Screw you, buddy! Dunsparce is one of the best abusers of Serene Grace. Body Slam, Headbutt, Rock Slide, Thunder-Wave, Water Pulse, Thunder. Amaaaazing.

What about Stantler.

That's more like it. Stantler just got shit on by the superior Sawsbuck this generation, so we'll all forget him a generation from now.

But how about this guy, does anyone actually like him?

vq2JZ.png

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Any recommendations for Battle Subway teams (single or double), or any basic tips as to what you can abuse against the AI this time around? I just want to be able to get to the 49 win mark quickly and consistently. My 4th gen teams aren't cutting it that well for this since the early rounds use decent Pokemon now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Any recommendations for Battle Subway teams (single or double), or any basic tips as to what you can abuse against the AI this time around? I just want to be able to get to the 49 win mark quickly and consistently. My 4th gen teams aren't cutting it that well for this since the early rounds use decent Pokemon now.

I find doubles to be the easier and well.. more entertaining mode of play. I usually abuse Sand Stream (and thus, Excadrill), or Politoed with Drizzle and Swift Swim Pokemon. The AI can't really fight weather easily, but they will try to throw teams at you if you have a lot of common type weaknesses.

Don't use moves with low accuracy either. Rock Slide is acceptable, if only because so many Pokemon receive it and the chance to flinch is great in Doubles. But it will screw you once in a while. Put Protect on almost everything. It'll help you scout, it'll help you keep someone up and you finish the threatening Pokemon with your second.

Don't use Choice items, for the most part. Although having a Choice Scarf in the back can be handy to finish off, it could cost you. The type-boosting Gems are great, and allow things like Dragon Gem boosted Outrage to destroy everything. Trick Room / Gravity / Tail Wind can work, but I find them more unreliable than weather because they require a turn to setup and they can be stalled out (and AI will use stalling methods sometimes).

And in case you play singles, Trick-trapping doesn't work anymore. In Gen IV you could Trick a Choice item on to a Pokemon that used a non-damaging move. The Pokemon would just stay in and let your Pokemon setup. Now the AI will switch their Pokemon. So, Trick can be handy to have, it's not that great anymore.

Places like Smogon have a list of all trainers in the subway, so you can look at movesets for Pokemon and trainers and know what to expect. Really, unless you're aiming for a 200+ mark, you probably don't need to study like that.

Screw you, buddy! Dunsparce is one of the best abusers of Serene Grace. Body Slam, Headbutt, Rock Slide, Thunder-Wave, Water Pulse, Thunder. Amaaaazing.

That's more like it. Stantler just got shit on by the superior Sawsbuck this generation, so we'll all forget him a generation from now.

But how about this guy, does anyone actually like him?

vq2JZ.png

Dunsparce is still shit on a shit sundae.

And Sudowoodo is badass. I'd choose it over Dumbsparce every single time.

Sudowoodo should evolve into a four armed Steel/Grass Pokemon monstrosity. I'm surprised they haven't tried to give him another evolution. Maybe he's not loved enough.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sudowoodo should evolve into a four armed Steel/Grass Pokemon monstrosity. I'm surprised they haven't tried to give him another evolution. Maybe he's not loved enough.

We could always use another Grass / Rock.

Or Ghost / Rock, because it died after no one would train it. fufufu

Top Bottom