• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Carnivine probably does have a fanbase somewhere, but really, really shouldn't.

Bring on my Streetpass Secret Bases and DLC Aurora Ticket, bitches.

Man i just hate all those fish pokemon at this point. As for carnivine, he is quite honestly one of the few pokemon that I can't even remember which gen he was introduced.

Wiseblade

So I played some Random Matchup on a whim today... People sure love to ragequit! Especially in free mode, where winning/losing doesn't even matter.

So I played some Random Matchup on a whim today... People sure love to ragequit! Especially in free mode, where winning/losing doesn't even matter.

There's a certain irony to this. Though one can say they quit because it doesn't matter, then again one would think since it doesn't matter they would just see it through to the end.

We can probably help out with specific Pokemon. A lot of Red/Blue Pokemon will be available in Kanto after you beat the first 8 gyms, but you are correct that there will be a few that are tough to come by.
Cool, there are a couple Pokemon, like Charmander and Squirtle, I'd like to level up through my entire playthrough.

Wiseblade

There's a certain irony to this. Though one can say they quit because it doesn't matter, then again one would think since it doesn't matter they would just see it through to the end.

That argument goes out the window when using the "Forfeit" option takes less time than resetting the game.

Man i just hate all those fish pokemon at this point. As for carnivine, he is quite honestly one of the few pokemon that I can't even remember which gen he was introduced.

Is it wrong I always get Carnivine confused with Carvahna? I see the name come up and get a little excited and then see that venus fly trap thingy appear on the screen.

The concept of Carnivine is pretty cool, the design is going well and then you reach the eyes which lob its kind of menacing appearance out of the window by making it look mentally challenged, and if memory serves it has an awful moveset, but there's far worse...
And on that note i'm reminding you all of Wormadam, there's a crappy gen 4 pokemon, not even the multuple types can save it from looking like crap. Mothim laughs in its split line evos face.

It's probably been mentioned before but what kinda of trainers are you guys? I'm mostly a Fire/Legendary type trainer and by fire I mean Starter Fire Pokemon. I've made it a tradition that with every new Pokemon game I get I have to start with a Fire Pokemon.

It's probably been mentioned before but what kinda of trainers are you guys? I'm mostly a Fire/Legendary type trainer and by fire I mean Starter Fire Pokemon. I've made it a tradition that with every new Pokemon game I get I have to start with a Fire Pokemon.

I was once like you, but since Emerald i am now a Balanced team trainer, I avoid any pokemon in my team having the same type as another and absolutely dont use legendaries anymore (outside of training purposes) other than that one cool story related reason I used one.

Heropon

I used legendaries in red/blue/yellow, but I stopped in gold. I love fire pokémon, but I chose Piplup and Oshawott in Diamond/White because I didn't like those Fire/Fighting 2 and Fire/Fighting 3 pokémon. For my team, I like a wide arrange of types so I can destroy enemies with super effective attacks.

I strive for a level balanced team of six and do my best to avoid duplicate types. Ground, Fire and Steel are my favourite types so I make an effort to get them in but mostly I choose my pokemon based on appearance though sometimes a weak movepool or poor stats make me avoid those with designs I like because they can feel almost like a chore to use.
I generally dislike having a water or flying type but Surf and Fly pretty much force those types in bar a few alternatives. I also avoid legendary pokemon though I consider the lesser/weaker ones.

Side note: I hate Snow warning, Abomasnow is my favourite Gen 4 pokemon and having it in my team was battle lengthening and hazardous to my own team in general, plus I was using Hippowdon as well so that was not so fun to have weather effects in like every battle dragging things out.

Always balanced. I usually go with a Fire starter at first. I don't use legendaries in my main team unless I'm forced to *looks at BW*. My team's type distribution goes like this:

Almost always used:
Fire, Water, Grass, Flying

Sometimes used:
Electric, Psychic, Fighting, Rock, Ground, Steel

Hardly used:
Normal, Ice, Dark, Dragon, Ghost, Poison, Bug

Wichu

Balanced myself. Though I usually end up using a few oddball Pokémon. For example, my White team has Druddigon and Musharna, and I've only ever seen one other person use Maractus online.

Legendaries are overrated. I sometimes use them online, but never during the actual game (not since 3rd gen).

My team for the VGC last year was Throh/Archeops/Alomomola/Terrakion/Landorus/Thundurus. So yeah, a bunch of legendaries, but also a couple of strange choices :p

QeDHZ.png

Me and my friends call him "hamburger face."
Water-types, forever and always.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Carnivine is pretty cool looking, but its move pool is terrible. It does nothing 'better' than any other Grass type.

upandaway

I can never, ever use legendaries in my main single player team. Ever.

When you give me a Pokemon with such good stats, I'm gonna rely on those stats to power through everything lazily. And then I get frustrated with the Pokemon because it can't sweep the entire world like a level 200 Mewtwo.

Seriously give me a Lugia and I'll probably try to sweep 4x resisting types with a straight face. I can't help myself. They're legendaries, for fuck's sake.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
For most of my playthroughs, I tend to stick to either Pokemon given to the player by NPCs or just newly introduced Pokemon. I usually try to integrate the entire list of HMs into my team without using dedicated HM slaves as of late, but I might change that for Gray since you don't need them nearly as much in Unova.

Most recent team on each game:

FireRed: Charizard, Jolteon, Lapras, Snorlax, Aerodactyl, Dragonite
Emerald: Sceptile + HM slaves
Pearl: Torterra, Mismagius, Rapidash, HM slaves
Platinum: Torterra, Staraptor, Bibarel, Kricketune, Luxray, Bronzong
HeartGold: Typhlosion, Togekiss, Espeon, Sudowoodo, Gyarados, Dragonite
Black: Samurott, Simisear, a handful of others on rotation

Only started paying attention to balanced teams in the fourth gen.

Platinum: Infernape, Staraptor, Roserade, Garchomp, Luxray, Floatzel
Heart Gold: Typhlosion, Gyarados, Sudowoodo, Togekiss, Ampharos, Heracross
White: Samurott, Reuniclus, Scrafty, Chandelure, Eelektross, Haxorus.

My White team rocked so hard.

Wiseblade

I've always tried to make balanced teams in Pokémon games, except in Gen I because Mewtwo + Alakazam > everything else. (my definition of balanced in Gen I was also suspiciouslyu similar to Ash's...) I usually stick with whatever I come across first that I like too. I stopped using legendaries in-game after Ruby.

Ruby Team (Pre Groudon + Rayquaza): Blaziken, Minun, Mightyena, Beautifly, Aggron(Shiny), HM slave

Old Emerald Team: Blaziken, Minun, Mightyena, Beautifly, HM Slave 1, HM slave 2 (Fun fact: Every Wurmple I've ever caught has evolved into a Silcoon.)

New Emerald Team: Swampert, Magneton, Breloom, Gardevoir, Swellow, HM slave

Diamond Team: Empoleon, Luxray, Staraptor, Roserade, Rapidash, Medicham

Platinum Team: Torterra, Staraptor, Toxicroak, Floatsel, HM Slave 1, HM slave 2

Black Team: Serperior, Zebstrika, Simipour, Sawk, free space for HM slaves I ended up never needing...

Emitan

I'm trying to build a team as I play along. I'm in Violet City with a level 8 Hoothoot and a level 8 Totodile. Anything I should catch to make it a permanent part of my team?

upandaway

I'm trying to build a team as I play along. I'm in Violet City with a level 8 Hoothoot and a level 8 Totodile. Anything I should catch to make it a permanent part of my team?
Pick up an Eevee as fast as possible and go for one of the happiness evolutions

And throw Togepi in a garbage can along some hidden alley

upandaway

Oh okay.

Did you see any Hoppips around? Jumpluff is the best thing. Could be my second favorite after Crobat in gen 2.

Edit: Fair warning though, he will make any gym/E4 into easy mode. Little guy can eat garchomps for the pre-breakfast snack.

Sixfortyfive

Pick up an Eevee as fast as possible and go for one of the happiness evolutions

And throw Togepi in a garbage can along some hidden alley
Togepi is actually pretty decent in HGSS since the one you're given starts with Extrasensory.

Emitan

Oh okay.

Did you see any Hoppips around? Jumpluff is the best thing. Could be my second favorite after Crobat in gen 2.

Edit: Fair warning though, he will make any gym/E4 into easy mode. Little guy can eat garchomps for the pre-breakfast snack.

I've always wanted to try one. Why's it so good?

Sixfortyfive

Look at the movepool, now the speed stat, now the movepool, now the speed stat, back to the movepool. Glance at the ability too. There you go.
Kind of irrelevant when its offensive stats and level-up moves are pitiful.

I'm not really a fan of using purely support/status Pokemon in the quest. They don't really pull their weight imo.

Wiseblade

Kind of irrelevant when its offensive stats and level-up moves are pitiful.

I'm not really a fan of using purely support/status Pokemon in the quest. They don't really pull their weight imo.

I agree, even Sleep Powder/Spore isn't enough to solely gain a spot on a team.

I'm terrible at balancing teams. I think my most balanced team was Leaf Green where I had a Blastoise, Vileplume, Ninetails, Dragonite, Fearow and Raichu. Most of the time I go with a water (Though lately it's been fire) and then pick Pokemon that I like and can use a wide variety of moves, like Ambipom. I rarely use a grass Pokemon unless it's like Vileplume or Leafeon, those are the coolest grass Pokemon. I really like using Electric Pokemon but I blame Mareep, Shinx and perhaps Raichu for that one.

Top Bottom