• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
lol!

Greatest Pokemon of all time.

Huh. Is there at least Sleep Clause? I can't imagine the game with sleep running rampant because it's just so dangerous, but maybe the doubles format eliminates the issues it can cause?
Doubles mitigates it somewhat. Dark Void Smeargle was somewhat annoying in 2010, but even he didn't crop up all that much since he was total Taunt and priority bait. I think Dark Void is even banned this year specifically.

Pretty sure matches like this are rare.

I knew Smogon's rules were going to get worse once Salamence was banned. I didn't listen to my gut though, and stuck with the rules until that moronic Drizzle ban.

Sixfortyfive

It's totally not a slippery slope, though.

Is there a logical falacy that covers the act of dismissing legitimate arguments for supposedly being logical falacies?

I don't think I've ever heard the term "slippery slope" more than when I was reading the Smogon forums during the vote to keep Drizzle legal in 5th Gen. It was on nearly every page of every thread.

upandaway

That probably fits, but it's not quite what I'm thinking of.

Basically, the slippery slope ceases to be a fallacy for the argument in question once there are enough data points to soundly demonstrate a constant and consistent trend.
You can use your silly high english all you want but I know you're just mad nobody plays doubles

Wiseblade

Yeah, I was a bit confused with Garchomp as well, even if I did understand a couple of the arguments presented (mainly concerning his speed + the ability).

The arguments were sound, it was the mentality behind it. Reading posts from around that time there was a lot of subtext about people trying to turn OU into the meta they wanted it to be. It's that that towards the end of Gen IV people stopped being subtle about it. Rather than taking the game how it is, you've just got a bunch of people trying to make it into what they want it to be.

Sixfortyfive

Man, there's nothing quite like the feeling of losing your entire Battle Subway streak on a crucial 95% accurate move that misses.

The arguments were sound, it was the mentality behind it. Reading posts from around that time there was a lot of subtext about people trying to turn OU into the meta they wanted it to be. It's that that towards the end of Gen IV people stopped being subtle about it. Rather than taking the game how it is, you've just got a bunch of people trying to make it into what they want it to be.

Oh definitely. Subtlety flew out the window when people were debating Drizzle, and it made me sick. To be honest, it kinda killed my passion for competitive battling.

Man, there's nothing quite like the feeling of losing your entire Battle Subway streak on a crucial 95% accurate move that misses.
Bleh, I know that feel.

Nintendo needs to hurry up and announce a mainline Pokemon game for the 3DS. 3rd gen remakes, Grey, anything, just give me a reason to buy one :p

Ties

Banned
Hello.

My name's Typae, just popping in to say hi. Hmm, since I'm new around these parts I'll give a brief description of myself:

Well, I've loved Pokemon ever since I was around the age of 5. My cousin introduced me to the series actually; my first game was Sapphire. I owe Pokemon a ton, because it got me into RPGs and gaming! I've only just purchased Pokemon White actually, I'm a bit late to the party on that haha. I was going to wait for Grey just so I can get all of the cool bonuses, but it seems too far away off and I was getting pretty impatient. I played most of the games (FireRed, SoulSilver, Sapphire, Pearl, and eventually White). My favorite Pokemon will forever and always be Milotic. I remember being absolutely stunned by its beauty and tried catching a Feebas for several hours in Sapphire lol.

Boney

Banned
Hello.

My name's Typae, just popping in to say hi. Hmm, since I'm new around these parts I'll give a brief description of myself:

Well, I've loved Pokemon ever since I was around the age of 5. My cousin introduced me to the series actually; my first game was Sapphire. I owe Pokemon a ton, because it got me into RPGs and gaming! I've only just purchased Pokemon White actually, I'm a bit late to the party on that haha. I was going to wait for Grey just so I can get all of the cool bonuses, but it seems too far away off and I was getting pretty impatient. I played most of the games (FireRed, SoulSilver, Sapphire, Pearl, and eventually White). My favorite Pokemon will forever and always be Milotic. I remember being absolutely stunned by its beauty and tried catching a Feebas for several hours in Sapphire lol.

Welcome! Hope you have fun around these parts!

If you don't understand any of the technical jumbo these dorks love to talk about, just sit back and enjoy the fanart and participate with ocassional cheapshots.

Ties

Banned
Thanks Boney! Glad to be aboard. *salute*

Seems like all of our accounts were activated at the same time. I like it this way, I don't stand out as the lone junior ;)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hello.

Welcome to PokeGAF! Please stick around. We need more non-delinquents.

Hello.

Hiii! New members are always welcome. You already like Pokemon from Gen 3 so we'll get along just fine!

Hello.

Milotic fan, eh? Looks like another new member just made my Fave Five.

Boogiepop

Milotic is pretty awesome. I used one myself back in gen III, and it was ALMOST worth the terror of trying to get a Feebas. Man Feebas tiles were awful, at least in R/S.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They weren't much better in Gen 4 IIRC. Thankfully, Gen 4 also marked the debut of the GTS, so I didn't have much trouble getting one.

clemenx

Banned
Lol, fuck that. I never captured a Feebas by myself. Never had the patience for those kind of hassles.

I also never tried a Milotic in gen iv for some reason, but I love Milotic now <3

I think like training a Magikarp, using HM slaves or having your starter with four moves of the same type...I think every trainer should try to shoot for catching Feebas and evolving him into Milotic. Like...some sort of rite of passage thing.

Acid08

Banned
I love Pokemon but have never posted in here, THIS MUST BE CHANGED.

Started playing with Red when they first came out in the US, smh at people who got Blue ;).

I have played most of the games but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Pokemon they added after Ruby/Sapphire. Haven't played Black/White at all, just waiting for the first 3DS game. Playing LeafGreen right now for fun with some friends, who're playing Ruby and Sapphire.

Starmie is awesome <3

Svafnir

Started playing with Red when they first came out in the US, smh at people who got Blue ;).

I have played most of the games but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Pokemon they added after Ruby/Sapphire. Haven't played Black/White at all, just waiting for the first 3DS game. Playing LeafGreen right now for fun with some friends, who're playing Ruby and Sapphire.

Starmie is awesome <3

Red > Blue for sure.

I am the exact same as you, I am finally going into black/white now. Most of my love of pokemon is based on nostalgia though, red/blue gold/silver will always be my favorite pokemon games.

Cheska

Hello.

It's always nice to meet more people that got really interested in games because of Pokemon. I feel like that's why I'm so attached to Pokemon Red, it will forever hold a special place in this tin heart of mine.

Acid08

Banned
It's always nice to meet more people that got really interested in games because of Pokemon. I feel like that's why I'm so attached to Pokemon Red, it will forever hold a special place in this tin heart of mine.

Yup. Elementary school would not have been the same without it. Sneaking my Game Boy out when we had chapel on Fridays and playing Pokemon during the whole thing, discovering the multiplication glitch through word of mouth instead of on the internet, and forever cementing my love for RPG's. Pokemon is a huge part of why I love games so much now.

Cheska

Yup. Elementary school would not have been the same without it. Sneaking my Game Boy out when we had chapel on Fridays and playing Pokemon during the whole thing, discovering the multiplication glitch through word of mouth instead of on the internet, and forever cementing my love for RPG's. Pokemon is a huge part of why I love games so much now.

YES! Playing my Game Boy at recess and trading my Pokemon and TCG cards was a huge staple of my child hood. It makes me sad sometimes that I'll probably never get that feeling again with a game.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah man, going to Walden Books in our local mall and playing in the TCG League there every Saturday working my towards getting those actual Gym Badges. Still have all of those along with my Burger King Pokeballs with the gold cards in them. My dad ate Burger King for lunch every day for like 2 months to get me as many of the toys they had as possible for Christmas. Fuck those were good times.

Wiseblade

Hello.

Another Gen III fan! Welcome!

Starmie is awesome <3
*twitch*

Firestorm

Do actual real-life VGC tournaments use team preview or not? I can't remember.

EDIT: Rofl, this was great, Firestorm.

EDIT 2: I just read the changes made to Sleep status in gen 5... HOLY FUCK. First team idea is a go!
Yes. Team preview is used in VGC matches in real life. So you should be thinking about who you bring as your alternatives.

Haha, I can't remember where I said that. Was it on Smogon or GAF?

Is VGC just Nintendo's straight up rules? I know it's doubles, but just "no legendaries"? I don't know doubles, but I'd definitely say the idea of just banning all the legendary Pokemon doesn't seem quite right, especially when some of them flat out suck...
The rules are here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3862050#post3862050

As mentioned, they ban the 100-all stat event legendaries and the over 600 BST cover legendaries. It's a pretty quick, discrete, easy way of doing things.

Huh. Is there at least Sleep Clause? I can't imagine the game with sleep running rampant because it's just so dangerous, but maybe the doubles format eliminates the issues it can cause?
Sleep is still dangerous but it's not broken in doubles. You have two Pokemon to worry about and a lot of people carry Lum Berry. There's also Safeguard. Lots of ways to deal with it. That's the cool part about VGC. You have deal with things within the constraints of the ruleset instead of making up rules to fit whatever you feel like.

OMG Aero

I really wish they would incorporate double battles into the single player game more.
Part of the reason I prefer single battles is that I hardly ever get the chance to have a double battle with how little of them there are in the game. When it comes to actually having a double battle I have no idea what tactics or combos to use (Because the main game has only taught me how to use new Pokemon, moves and abilities in single battles) and my team is set up for single battles so to even start doing double battles competitively I would have to train a whole new team.

Welcome new guys. Be glad you guys came by choice instead of being abducting by some members here *looks at Boney* But all in all, welcome to the party

Firestorm

Is there no wi-fi co-op for Battle Subway? Kind of a bummer if so, seeing as how HG/SS had it.
I feel like I've seen friends post on Facebook about doing Battle Factory or something but maybe that's HGSS? I never got into it myself so not sure.
I really wish they would incorporate double battles into the single player game more.
Part of the reason I prefer single battles is that I hardly ever get the chance to have a double battle with how little of them there are in the game. When it comes to actually having a double battle I have no idea what tactics or combos to use (Because the main game has only taught me how to use new Pokemon, moves and abilities in single battles) and my team is set up for single battles so to even start doing double battles competitively I would have to train a whole new team.
I agree. I think part of the reason people flock to singles in competitive play is that the game reinforces that it's "the way" to play the game even though when you actually play multiplayer you start discovering that doubles is where the thought for balance has gone.

upandaway

I feel like I've seen friends post on Facebook about doing Battle Factory or something but maybe that's HGSS? I never got into it myself so not sure.I agree. I think part of the reason people flock to singles in competitive play is that the game reinforces that it's "the way" to play the game even though when you actually play multiplayer you start discovering that doubles is where the thought for balance has gone.
Before I started to look into doubles, I was 100% convinced that it's broken and extremely easy to abuse because of all the doubles-specific gameplay, like EQ+levitate or Surf+water absorb. I thought it would be really boring because everything will revolve around those few doubles-only mechanics.

But yeah it's good stuff.

Ultratech

I never understood why Pokemon like Staryu and Starmie float.
What's up with that.

Magic perhaps? Same way you can cut them into pieces and they'll regenerate so long as their little crystal isn't shattered.

Edit: Nope, turns out they just spin really fast and propel themselves out of the water. And Starmie's part Psychic, so it has somewhat of an excuse.

Top Bottom