• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Starmie in the anime was so cool, with it's beeping jewel whenever it fainted rather than the usual dumb swirly face. Man, what a weird Pokemon.

I went to that store I was talking about today. No DS games but they did have Sapphire. I could probably have bought a GBA and Sapphire for ~$30 but I really want to play Explorers of Sky. The first PMD gave me a lot of feels and the second one is "worse" apparently. I just can't find it anywhere for less than full price. ;(

Ties

Banned
Right on!

Serperior is my favorite grass type starter. <3 Treeko.

Obviously water type starters are the best starters ever.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've been running an exact copy of the current Battle Subway record holder's team from Smogon and I'm having trouble making up my mind as to whether he was the luckiest person in the world to manage 500+ with this team or whether I'm the unluckiest, as I've yet to break 35. Or maybe I'm just terrible and should be meticulously going through all of these CPU team spreadsheets on every turn to calculate every decision.

Ugh, I just want to pass the 49 mark and call it a day.

Kjellson

Klinklang is the best Pokémon, just because its name reminds me of Kraftwerk's recording studio Kling Klang.

When I get Grey, I'm totally gonna main him.

I have a problem with Noctowl's typing. Why is it Normal/Flying and not Psychic/Flying, wtf. I'm baffled.

Because that would have been good, perhaps they didn't want to infringe on the other new flying types Xatu and Murkrow by not using the more obvious choices of part Psychic or Dark.
And there's also the fact that Noctowl serves as the common flying type for the game and a prime example of the new day/night feature so they kept it normal as to not make it too powerful for the early game.
Even so I would much prefer it to have different typing, the fact that it learns tons of psychic moves by leveling up only makes me question the normal typing further.

Styles

Because that would have been good, perhaps they didn't want to infringe on the other new flying types Xatu and Murkrow by not using the more obvious choices of part Psychic or Dark.
And there's also the fact that Noctowl serves as the common flying type for the game and a prime example of the new day/night feature so they kept it normal as to not make it too powerful for the early game.
Even so I would much prefer it to have different typing, the fact that it learns tons of psychic moves by leveling up only makes me question the normal typing further.

It's concerning when a normal/flying type has more Psychic moves than a Psychic/Flying Pokemon. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I have a problem with Noctowl's typing. Why is it Normal/Flying and not Psychic/Flying, wtf? I'm baffled.

Normal / Flying means that it had actual use (especially in game) against things like Gengar. Insomnia made it immune to Hypnosis, and it was immune to Shadow Ball. If it were Psychic, it would only gain a mediocre attacking STAB. Although I guess 4x resistance to fighting would have been nice. :p

MicH

Watching the B&W anime, does Leavanny have the best cry or what? I love it and now I must use one in my next B/W playthrough!

Also, protect is the cheapest move ever. That Burgh gymbattle episode made me :(

Making it normal flying when we already had a psychic/flying that gen would be redundant and as evilmario said he is a key player towards battling ghost pokemon.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The OCD in me is itching and I haven't played a Pokemon game in ages so I have to ask. What's required to catch all 649 Pokemon (or 646 if the event Pokemon haven't been released yet)?

The OCD in me is itching and I haven't played a Pokemon game in ages so I have to ask. What's required to catch all 649 Pokemon (or 646 if the event Pokemon haven't been released yet)?

It depends on what you mean by "in ages" . If you want to catch all of them by yourself not including event pokemon, then you need at the least all/most of the 4th gen games and B+W. With others helping you, you could probably catch them all with Platinum, HG/SS and B/W.

upaandaway explains it better below.

upandaway

Pretty sure that's impossible right now. Without event-only Pokemon you can do it though (or if can trade with other people)

Assuming no trading, leaving out event-onlys, but having 2 DS's, there are only 6 Pokemon that you can't get if you combine both HGSS and Platinum.
4 of the 6 Pokemon are split 2 and 2 for Diamond and Pearl though, and I think the only way to get Manaphy and Phione is through that Rangers game.

So basically you need every mainline gen4+gen5, and Rangers. And that's assuming you actually want to fry your brain on the frustrating bonus games like Safari Zone and Pokewalker, otherwise you'll have to get Emerald.

Emitan

Normal / Flying means that it had actual use (especially in game) against things like Gengar. Insomnia made it immune to Hypnosis, and it was immune to Shadow Ball. If it were Psychic, it would only gain a mediocre attacking STAB. Although I guess 4x resistance to fighting would have been nice. :p

Fuck I just noticed my Hoothoot doesn't have Insomnia...

Boney

Banned
Making it normal flying when we already had a psychic/flying that gen would be redundant and as evilmario said he is a key player towards battling ghost pokemon.

it's just a fucking hoot hoot!! no one cares about that, same as rattata, but that at least has joey to take care of it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hmmm, a question pokegaf, I'm hanging around in route 18 and I notice there are areas up north where I see trainers and pokeballs.. it's all water.. I cant work out how the hell to get there.. am I stupid or is it not from route 18?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
it's just a fucking hoot hoot!! no one cares about that, same as rattata, but that at least has joey to take care of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNZR9wztdbc

Hmmm, a question pokegaf, I'm hanging around in route 18 and I notice there are areas up north where I see trainers and pokeballs.. it's all water.. I cant work out how the hell to get there.. am I stupid or is it not from route 18?

Kanto Route 18 or Unova Route 18?

I'm guessing you mean Unova Route 18? Or Kanto Route 18?

Busaiku

Yeah, I liked both versions of it.
Just saying how random it was for Victini and Zekrom to be on TV.

Serebii listed Victini and Reshiram being on, so I wasn't too concerned.
But then I randomly saw the commercial earlier today.

Top Bottom