• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Suairyu

Banned
I try to do my best. >_>
I just don't care about musicals at all.
Besides, the OT is open source and everyone can update it. You guys are just as lazy as me! Except for Wisey who's been somewhat helpful.
Pfft. You're the one who can hit 'edit'. You wanted the job, buster. You do the job.

I'd like to see another NeoGAF official thread that has been kept up to date as long and as frequently as the B/W OT2 and 3.
Don't work like that, man. That's like when Shane B on 1UP Yours 'defended' MGS4's script by saying "and what other stealth action game has a script that's better? Splinter Cell?"

And the another thread you're looking for is Minsc's Good Old Games thread.

Suairyu

Banned
Vote Suairyu for Grey OT!

Musicals will always be updated on time! Even if the game isn't on DS, the thread will say it is! Will curry favour with Minsc by not insulting his thread to let PokéGAF rise to a glorious new age! Will make it mandatory that all posters join the IRC once in a while, including Andrex!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vote Suairyu for Grey OT!

Musicals will always be updated on time! Even if the game isn't on DS, the thread will say it is! Will curry favour with Minsc by not insulting his thread to let PokéGAF rise to a glorious new age! Will make it mandatory that all posters join the IRC once in a while, including Andrex!

I needed a good reason to stop posting, anyways. GAF is burning me out.

For reals, I don't know if I want to do the Gray OT.

Suairyu

Banned
Everytime I join PokéGAF IRC I spend an hour or so there and then that's enough for a very long time. You have to be able to hold three conversations at once and it's exhausting.

Boney

Banned
Everytime I join PokéGAF IRC I spend an hour or so there and then that's enough for a very long time. You have to be able to hold three conversations at once and it's exhausting.

You just have to deal with the needy people and ignore the others.

Btw it was pretty nice to see so many new faces today, spy you gotta get your head out of the KS thread and come pay a visit!

Emitan

FQ4NR.gif

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Check your router settings. I can't see you in the lobby.

I was having this issue last night and putting my DS into my router's DMZ fixed it.

Sixfortyfive

Man, the Smogon ruleset looks like it's out of control these days. How many tiers and clauses do you need?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Hi five for Superior Silver and Winning White versions!

I bought Soul Silver and an Action Replay, just so I could play it with the GB Sounds from the beginning. With the original music, it's now Supreme Silver. Also, instant message speed cheat means I can get through text about as fast as I can press the button.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Play VGC.
Ignore whatever the fuck happens in Smogon-controlled metagames.

The path to competitive Pokemon nirvana.

Yes. Firestorm is great and knows best.

VGC is so much more entertaining. Instead of a cluster fuck of tiers and ban list, it's really pretty straight forward. And doubles opens up so many strategies.

But it also means I have to go back and breed in Gen IV for Tail Wind Move Tutor. >:|

Sixfortyfive

I've preferred doubles ever since I started actually playing competitively (Platinum), so that's already a foregone conclusion. I still enjoy catching up on current events for other metagames once in a while though, so I'm just browsing through some stuff in policy review.

The impression that I walk away with is that everyone seems more interested in manipulating the game to be what they want it to be instead of accepting it for what it is, yet there are at least half a dozen different schools of thought as to what that game should be in the first place. I suppose that's always been true to some extent, but all of these conditional bans (like no combination of two specific weather abilities) really take that to a whole new level. Why not just play Advance instead of B/W if you're going that far?

Emitan

I'm still mad at GameFreak for ruining Mean Look in Gen V. I miss you, Mean Looking, Baton Passing, Yawning, Wishing Umbreon!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've preferred doubles ever since I started actually playing competitively (Platinum), so that's already a foregone conclusion. I still enjoy catching up on current events for other metagames once in a while though, so I'm just browsing through some stuff in policy review.

The impression that I walk away with is that everyone seems more interested in manipulating the game to be what they want it to be instead of accepting it for what it is, yet there are at least half a dozen different schools of thought as to what that game should be in the first place. I suppose that's always been true to some extent, but all of these conditional bans (like no combination of two specific weather abilities) really take that to a whole new level. Why not just play Advance instead of B/W if you're going that far?

Game Freak obviously has been tailoring everything toward doubles, in terms of abilities, and new moves. It makes so much more sense to have a metagame with doubles, instead of forcing singles.

But people attempt to make competitive gaming out of a lot of titles you'd probably consider 'party games' and 'unbalanced'. So whatever they prefer, but I'll stick with VGC ruleset when I play from now on. ;)

Sixfortyfive

Do actual real-life VGC tournaments use team preview or not? I can't remember.

EDIT: Rofl, this was great, Firestorm.
The more I read Policy Review, the more I think it should be a sub-forum of Create-A-Pokemon.

EDIT 2: I just read the changes made to Sleep status in gen 5... HOLY FUCK. First team idea is a go!

Boogiepop

Is VGC just Nintendo's straight up rules? I know it's doubles, but just "no legendaries"? I don't know doubles, but I'd definitely say the idea of just banning all the legendary Pokemon doesn't seem quite right, especially when some of them flat out suck...

Sixfortyfive

Is VGC just Nintendo's straight up rules? I know it's doubles, but just "no legendaries"? I don't know doubles, but I'd definitely say the idea of just banning all the legendary Pokemon doesn't seem quite right, especially when some of them flat out suck...
IIRC, it more or less mirrors the Battle Subway ban list, which includes 2 classes of Pokemon:

- legendaries with a base stat total of 660 or higher, which are considered to be overpowered by design, basically
- event legendaries that can only be obtained through special events, which aren't to be considered part of standard competition as far as The Pokemon Company is concerned

Everything else is fair game. The rules change a little bit from year to year. In 2010, you were permitted to use up to 2 Pokemon from the first category on your team. In 2011, all pre-5th gen Pokemon were banned.

Boogiepop

IIRC, it more or less mirrors the Battle Subway ban list, which includes 2 classes of Pokemon:

- legendaries with a base stat total of 660 or higher, which are considered to be overpowered by design, basically
- event legendaries that can only be obtained through special events, which aren't to be considered part of standard competition as far as The Pokemon Company is concerned

Everything else is fair game. The rules change a little bit from year to year. In 2010, you were permitted to use up to 2 Pokemon from the first category on your team. In 2011, all pre-5th gen Pokemon were banned.

Huh. Is there at least Sleep Clause? I can't imagine the game with sleep running rampant because it's just so dangerous, but maybe the doubles format eliminates the issues it can cause?

Top Bottom