• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Wiseblade

To be fair on Billychu, I had to read a guide to find Cobalion.

I'd found the rooms where Terrakion and Virizion spawn long beforehand though.

I found Cobalion completely by accident when exploring its cave. I was way too under leveled to catch it though so I left. Never went back either.

Firestorm

Time to play some POKEMON
http://www.smogon.com/news/article/9445

After the success of the Autumn Friendly in 2011, The Pokemon Company International will be running another ladder-based tournament next month with a ruleset mirroring the VGC '12 format called the Global Battle Union 2012 International Challenge. 50,000 entrants will be accepted with 25,000 spots reserved for Japan. There shouldn't be much to worry about though as last year's tournament saw an increase on the cap as the original 10,000 player limit was quickly reached. With the addition of Korean and Japanese players, this should be the largest competitive Pokemon event in history!

Registration will be open from March 15th to March 21st and the tournament itself will run from March 22nd to March 26th. Being just a few weeks before the VGC '12 Regionals, it should be a great opportunity for those in the US and Canada to practice their teams in a more accurate environment than Pokemon Online! Unfortunately this will not happen before the majority of the European Nationals.

Additionally, Japan will also be having its own tournament called the Pokemon Global Link Spring 2012 Japan Cup. It's going to play a part in how they award invites to the World Championships in Kona, Hawaii later this year so it should be one to look out for. Maybe we'll see similar incentives internationally in the future?

You can discuss both the GBU 2012 International Challenge and the PGL Spring 2012 Japan Cup in our forums! Good luck everyone!

I really need to put together a team asap.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Again, I explored every other route and point of interest in the game extensively, it just never occurred to me to surf to that particular area.

ZxMAm.gif

Ondore

According to some bronies I overheard the other day, Keldeo would be "20% more awesome" if it had access to Ice Beam.

What kind of Water type doesn't have access to friggin' Ice Beam?

Wiseblade

According to some bronies I overheard the other day, Keldeo would be "20% more awesome" if it had access to Ice Beam.

What kind of Water type doesn't have access to friggin' Ice Beam?

Keldeo doesn't quitwe have the right movepool to exploit that Sp.Atk stat. A special version of Aqua Jet would have made the world of difference IMO.

Kjellson

I didn't get Black/White so I'm waiting for Gray. I have never played any of the third games except Yellow which was a while ago. Are they really different on some way compared to the original two or is it just a third version with some minor differences?

I didn't get Black/White so I'm waiting for Gray. I have never played any of the third games except Yellow which was a while ago. Are they really different on some way compared to the original two or is it just a third version with some minor differences?

Depends. The earlier generations were pretty damn similar, but they've been getting more differentiated as time as gone by. Platinum raised the battle speed, fixed the Pokedex, vastly improved the storyline, changed up the gym puzzles and added the Battle Frontier. I mean, it's definitely a director's cut sort of game, but they're the definitive versions.

And Grey stands an excellent chance on being on 3DS, too, so there's that. :D

Ultratech

Most of the time it's minor enhancements. Though the last few have had some stuff that makes them the superior version.

Yellow: Start with Pikachu; get access to all 3 Starters from R/B; other stuff, etc.
Crystal: GBC Enhanced (Full Color!), Expanded story on Suicune, Battle Tower, Animated Pokemon, other stuff (stuff mostly not in the US version, like cell phone interaction; stuff that predates the cool Wi-Fi stuff that came in D/P).
Emerald: Get access to Rayquaza earlier, story involves both Team Aqua/Magma, Battle Frontier, very fast gameplay (seriously, it's super fast), Animated Pokemon return, better graphics (compared to R/S).
Platinum: Expanded main story; early access to Giratina (Origin Form), Battle Frontier returns from Emerald, more availible pokes.

Most of the time it's minor enhancements. Though the last few have had some stuff that makes them the superior version.

Yellow: Start with Pikachu; get access to all 3 Starters from R/B; other stuff, etc.
Crystal: GBC Enhanced (Full Color!), Expanded story on Suicune, Battle Tower, Animated Pokemon, other stuff (stuff mostly not in the US version, like cell phone interaction; stuff that predates the cool Wi-Fi stuff that came in D/P).
Emerald: Get access to Rayquaza earlier, story involves both Team Aqua/Magma, Battle Frontier, very fast gameplay (seriously, it's super fast), Animated Pokemon return, better graphics (compared to R/S).
Platinum: Expanded main story; early access to Giratina (Origin Form), Battle Frontier returns from Emerald, more availible pokes.

Having more available Pokemon available was the best part of Platinum. You have no idea how awesome it felt beating the main story with THIS roster.

Empoleon
Crobat
Gliscor
Rotom
Rampardos
Leafeon

Matchew

Is there any way to trade pokemon from a gameboy micro to a 3DS? Or, do I have have to have a DS or Lite to trade from LeafGreen to 4th or 5th Gen games?

Is there any way to trade pokemon from a gameboy micro to a 3DS? Or, do I have have to have a DS or Lite to trade from LeafGreen to 4th or 5th Gen games?

GBA -> DS transfers were done using the GBA slot of the system holding the DS game you were sending them to, so you need a DS or Lite.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Yes, you need an original DS or DS Lite. And you can only trade Gen 3 to Gen 4, you can't skip it and go to Gen 5.

Once they're in Gen 4 though, you can then trade using that DS or DS Lite to your 3DS (it requires two systems to trade.)

Always loved how soon you got access to Gible and the Earthquake TM in Platinum. Also can't forget Crystal finally giving us the option to play as a girl. Too bad they weren't able to implement that in the first generation.

clemenx

Banned
Yes, you need an original DS or DS Lite. And you can only trade Gen 3 to Gen 4, you can't skip it and go to Gen 5.

Once they're in Gen 4 though, you can then trade using that DS or DS Lite to your 3DS (it requires two systems to trade.)

I wonder how that will work with Gen VI when they release it, we don't have something similar to the GBA slot. I guess they could use the DS download play but requiring a system that old doesn't seem right.
Remakes from all previous generations with the new 3DS engine :D

Not that it matters now that we can trade via wifi though.

Matchew

Thanks, I guess there is no point in playing LeafGreen then

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wonder how that will work with Gen VI when they release it, we don't have something similar to the GBA slot. I guess they could use the DS download play but requiring a system that old doesn't seem right.
Remakes from all previous generations with the new 3DS engine :D

Not that it matters now that we can trade via wifi though.

Probably an eShop app, or the Global Link (which does have all your save data for BW, I think.) Upload your Pokemon temporarily, put in Gen 6 game, import.

OMG Aero

Holy shit. Actual Pokemon anime discussion in Off Topic.

More anime discussion than has ever happened here. -_-
That thread really makes me want to play Pokemon. Too bad there's nothing really for me to do in any of them without deleting my save file.
hurry up and release grey nintendo

Styles

That thread really makes me want to play Pokemon. Too bad there's nothing really for me to do in any of them without deleting my save file.

I really want replay white but can't bare the thought of losing EVERYTHING I've obtained so far. So I'll wait for the next game.

I feel your pain, I could start a new file on Heart Gold or Platinum but now i've played black I can't go back, mainly because Gen 4 moves in slow motion.

QP3

Hello fellow gaffers, need some advice:

I have already played and beaten black version. Now I am itching to play pokemon again...should i get white version, or pick up soul silver/heart gold?

I feel like if I get white, then I will just be playing black again. However, I don't want to get SS or HG and feel like i'm the only one playing that generation. Any advice? Is there an active online community for SS/HG? thanks!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hello fellow gaffers, need some advice:

I have already played and beaten black version. Now I am itching to play pokemon again...should i get white version, or pick up soul silver/heart gold?

I feel like if I get white, then I will just be playing black again. However, I don't want to get SS or HG and feel like i'm the only one playing that generation. Any advice? Is there an active online community for SS/HG? thanks!

A lot of people in this thread are playing through the older generations actively, or at least off and on. I just beat HG for the 3rd time a few weeks ago. If you picked it up, it's not as if you couldn't talk to us about your progress. :p

HG/SS are pretty decent titles, as is Platinum. Speed of the battles and a few other mechanics are a bit slower than B/W though. It'll allow you to capture a lot more Pokemon and have access to the all important Move Tutors too.

QP3

A lot of people in this thread are playing through the older generations actively, or at least off and on. I just beat HG for the 3rd time a few weeks ago. If you picked it up, it's not as if you couldn't talk to us about your progress. :p

HG/SS are pretty decent titles, as is Platinum. Speed of the battles and a few other mechanics are a bit slower than B/W though. It'll allow you to capture a lot more Pokemon and have access to the all important Move Tutors too.

OK thanks a lot. I guess I will pick up either HG/SS...are either preferred? Also, I will be getting it used
yes at ebgames, I'm a port college student, please don't flame

so i will have a week to swap if I feel the need. Although, I have completed and enjoyed every pokemon game I have ever picked up :p

upandaway

The only real differences are what Legendary you get first (Ho-Oh or Lugia) and the Version Exclusives.

Check those out and figure out which one you want more.
And then you neglect the most important and crucial difference between HG and SS, the cover art.

I won't forgive someone who buys the one with the cover he likes the least just because of exclusives.

Yea, feel free to tell us about your progress in either HG or SS. I forgot to mention in this thread how Cynthia one shot my Infernape, even though it was a good 17 levels higher than her Garchomp...=(

Top Bottom