• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I want ALL THE THINGS.

Which reminds me, I wish Nintendo World Store had a wider selection of plushies. Was looking through them the other day, contemplating buying one.

I demand you take photos of all the plushies and post them on here, and then buy the ones people want and ship them out. <3

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
13 is an insane number, I know we will get 20 more next gen.

What does it matter? Three quarters of the 'legendary' Pokemon are obtainable in game, with a select few being available only for events. And with most events being on WiFi now, it is not an issue for someone to obtain one.

You need to tweak your brain on what 'legendary' Pokemon means. Something like Virizion and Articuno might be a legendary, but they're pretty underwhelming Pokemon in terms of their ability to fight. It's not as if they're introducing another Kyogre every generation.

Suairyu

Banned
I'll propose this:

'Legendary' Pokémon are acceptable when they have really good plot tied to them, such as the two dragons, Victini and the three roaming weather Pokémon in Black and White, the Celebi/Giovanni event in HG/SS and what we should have had with the Azure Flute and Arceus in D/P/Pt.

If we take 'legendary' to simply mean 'so rare that folk stories and legends built up around them', I don't think a large amount of legendary Pokémon is bad at all, but again if and only if we get to play out those folk stories in some capacity.

The problem comes when there's just one-off 'legendary' Pokémon that are just there to be Legendary Pokémon.

I also dislike the practice of locking these off to wifi events. It's a little bit better these days now that we can get ROM dumps of the event carts, but what is someone who wants to play R/S/E or FR/LG meant to do? Either you use an action replay or you don't get to experience important content in your game.

Suairyu

Banned
I bought SS late and it seems i missed all the wifi events.
If you have a PC with a wireless card built in (and good heavens if you don't), you can actually wirelessly connect your PC and your DS as if you had two DSs. Load up one of the event distribution carts into an emulator on your PC and you can give yourself all the wifi events.

Salvadora

If you have a PC with a wireless card built in (and good heavens if you don't), you can actually wirelessly connect your PC and your DS as if you had two DSs. Load up one of the event distribution carts into an emulator on your PC and you can give yourself all the wifi events.

I will look into this.

Emitan

I could only get the WiFi legendaries years later by using some website and DNS stuff on my DS to fake events because I couldn't connect to WPA2 connections. It's stupid. Don't make stuff require online if your hardware only supports outdated wireless security

Suairyu

Banned
I could only get the WiFi legendaries years later by using some website and DNS stuff on my DS to fake events because I couldn't connect to WPA2 connections. It's stupid. Don't make stuff require online if your hardware only supports outdated wireless security
Well, in the case of tricking your DS into thinking your PC is another DS, you'd only be created a WEP wireless network for the two minutes it requires to complete the 'transaction'. If you make it a hidden network, the likelihood of someone finding it and decoding the WEP key in those two minutes is so small it isn't worth worrying about. Even if they crack the WEP code, they'd then have whatever firewall you had setup to stop them from doing anything sinister quickly.

Similarly, my wireless network at home is WPA2. If ever I need to connect to WFC, I plug my laptop into my router and create a bridge network running in WEP, each time using a different WEP key. Again, takes five minutes tops to do whatever I want to do in WFC and then the WEP network is gone.

I also dislike the practice of locking these off to wifi events. It's a little bit better these days now that we can get ROM dumps of the event carts, but what is someone who wants to play R/S/E or FR/LG meant to do? Either you use an action replay or you don't get to experience important content in your game.

You are gonna love the inevitable DLC legendaries and plotlines in future games.

Suairyu

Banned
You are gonna love the inevitable DLC legendaries and plotlines in future games.
The lack of Pokémon DLC is the sole reason I'm thankful Nintendo haven't gotten their internet shit together.

And really, they'd have to be on the cart anyway for the DLC to work so I'd just say "fuck them" and AR that shit in there something fierce.

Salvadora

The lack of Pokémon DLC is the sole reason I'm thankful Nintendo haven't gotten their internet shit together.

And really, they'd have to be on the cart anyway for the DLC to work so I'd just say "fuck them" and AR that shit in there something fierce.

It depends what sort of DLC it is. I don't want to feel ripped off.

Emitan

Well, in the case of tricking your DS into thinking your PC is another DS, you'd only be created a WEP wireless network for the two minutes it requires to complete the 'transaction'. If you make it a hidden network, the likelihood of someone finding it and decoding the WEP key in those two minutes is so small it isn't worth worrying about. Even if they crack the WEP code, they'd then have whatever firewall you had setup to stop them from doing anything sinister quickly.

Similarly, my wireless network at home is WPA2. If ever I need to connect to WFC, I plug my laptop into my router and create a bridge network running in WEP, each time using a different WEP key. Again, takes five minutes tops to do whatever I want to do in WFC and then the WEP network is gone.

I'm talking about a website where you can load up events to download, it's basically the same principle though. The issue was that I'm not in charge of my wireless network so I couldn't connect until I got an Android phone with tethering.

I don't mind DLC. It means new Pokémon will be a surprise. As long as you can Streetpass free DLC to others, it'll be great.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm talking about a website where you can load up events to download, it's basically the same principle though. The issue was that I'm not in charge of my wireless network so I couldn't connect until I got an Android phone with tethering.
Yeah I know about the sites. Only problem with those is that they're full of unofficial events, too. It's very easy to create your own Pokémon wireless events. Any Pokémon/level/move/item combination can be created and your official cart will accept it and download it.

I don't mind DLC. It means new Pokémon will be a surprise.
It won't, though. In order to guarantee the DLC Pokémon can be used against/traded with people who didn't purchase/download the DLC, the Pokémon data would have to be present in all carts from day 0.

Fighting games and racing games have the same problem.

Emitan

The 3DS can do firmware updates wirelessly in local play. There's no reason they can't do the same for DLC.

And all the Pokémon I downloaded were legit. I'm not sure if the site I used had fake ones, but all of the ones I downloaded were real. Not like it matters because they just sit in my boxes.

Suairyu

Banned
The 3DS can do firmware updates wirelessly in local play. There's no reason they can't do the same for DLC.

And all the Pokémon I downloaded were legit. I'm not sure if the site I used had fake ones, but all of the ones I downloaded were real. Not like it matters because they just sit in my boxes.
Well, technically none of them were "legit" ;)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It won't, though. In order to guarantee the DLC Pokémon can be used against/traded with people who didn't purchase/download the DLC, the Pokémon data would have to be present in all carts from day 0.

Fighting games and racing games have the same problem.

There are ways they could make it work.

I'd be down for like downloadable Sevii Islands-like areas. That'd be cool.

I don't mind DLC. It means new Pokémon will be a surprise. As long as you can Streetpass free DLC to others, it'll be great.

Yep. Look at the Keldeo reveal; that could have been a big surprise, with everyone talking about it. Instead, no one gave the remotest shit, other than for the purpose of My Little Pony jokes.

Call me a bought and sold whore if you must, but I'd gladly pay for lengthy new areas, legendaries, or gyms, provided they weren't on the cart or day one DLC.

Suairyu

Banned
Yep. Look at the Keldeo reveal; that could have been a big surprise, with everyone talking about it. Instead, no one gave the remotest shit, other than for the purpose of My Little Pony jokes.
If you actually spoil yourself about the Pokémon ahead of time by looking at sites that hacked the game data, you only have yourself to blame.

I don't see any DLC being cheap, They know people will pay.
Do they, though? Pokémon's primary audience is children, the kind of customers who receive a game cart once a year as a birthday present or something. The primary market for DLC is 18-35 year olds with their own disposable income and credit cards.

Emitan

If you actually spoil yourself about the Pokémon ahead of time by looking at sites that hacked the game data, you only have yourself to blame.

If by "spoil yourself" you mean "use the internet", ok. I find it hilarious that NoA wanted reviewers to not spoil new Pokémon despite releasing the game 6 months after it was out in Japan.

Suairyu

Banned
If by "spoil yourself" you mean "use the internet", ok. I find it hilarious that NoA wanted reviewers to not spoil new Pokémon despite releasing the game 6 months after it was out in Japan.
Uh, what? I'm not talking about information available to you because the game is out in Japan. I'm talking about unrevealeds.

You could only know about Keldo and the like ahead of time by specifically going to sites that look at the game data they wouldn't have normal access to.

Salvadora

Was it 65 percent of 3DS users have went online? I'd say the demographic buying DLC will change when it comes to Nintendo consoles.

You could only know about Keldo and the like ahead of time by specifically going to sites that look at the game data they wouldn't have normal access to.

Unless you exclusively look at the official Pokemon site, that is unlikely. It's hardly like Keldeo's existence was some heavily guarded secret. Basically any internet Pokedex a kid would care to look at would contain full details of Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect without any subterfuge or data ripping at all; it's simply common knowledge.

As for there being a market for DLC; Pokemon's second biggest audience is university-level guys. Even if we make the assumption that there will no market for DLC amongst the kids (I highly, highly doubt it, but w/e), there's a huge chunk of revenue sitting right there.

Jheromes

Neo Member
Just wanted to say I sold my DS Lite, Poké Platinum, HeartGold AND White cartridges last year (full of event pokemon and transfers from Sapphire and Emerald) and thoroughly regret it.

Pokémon. It's an addiction man.

Just wanted to say I sold my DS Lite, Poké Platinum, HeartGold AND White cartridges last year (full of event pokemon and transfers from Sapphire and Emerald) and thoroughly regret it.

4Tp7c.gif

This sounds too damn complicated for me.

Jheromes

Neo Member
why

why would you do that

It seemed logical at the time. Needed to clean up around the house, didn't like White initially and didn't play Pokémon in general at the time. Thought I was over it. Age and all.

NEVER AGAIN.

I'm gonna rock that Gray SO HARD whenever the hell it's releasing.

Boogiepop

Did anyone here ever play the surfing Pikachu minigame in Yellow? I remember that I went back years after having last played Stadium, registered up my best possible team that met the requirements (as the connecter was always a piece of crap and would disconnect and break the game in 10 mins max), and actually finally did it... only to realize you needed to be using the janky connecter the whole time. So yeah, I've never even played it myself, but not for lack of trying.

That's like when I won a copy of Pokemon Crystal that had Celebi, the three birds, surfing Pikachu, and Suicune on it and sold it later for money.

But that's not as bad.

Top Bottom