• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Leafeon is the best Eeveelution. They should let Eevee evolve into every other type, he/she can be the Swiss army knife of the Pokemon world.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I failed at the Gen 1 one.
*commits seppuku*

I'm more of a visual learner anyways. :(

First three comments on Andriasang.
KuGsj.gif

isotrex22 min. ago
Please let it be on 3DS.

anoop42 min. ago
It is so going to be for 3DS.

HatsuneMiku1hr 9m ago
Please don't be for 3DS.

All of those are from you aren't they?

You know , eevee used to be cool but now I just dislike it. Cause every next gen pokemon discussion just devolves into what new evos it should get, when really I wouldn't mind if they did nothing with the first 493 ever again.

I wonder if the Pokemon trainers of tomorrow could—*gasp*—inherit some pro-slavery genes!

The horror. Personally-speaking, I think that the relationship between Pokemon and trainer is utterly mutual. All Pokemon have something of a subordinate instinct that can be activated via a Pokeball and can benefit both a power-seeking Pokemon, and a needy human trainer. And if that means elaborate, ritualized cock-fighting as the solution to the world's problems, then so be it!

Boogiepop

Gen I: 127 (Was trying to spell Gyarados as Gyrados, and I somehow managed to forget the Pikachu line)
Gen II: 72 (Somehow forgot the Togepi line, as well as bafflingly remembering Tyrogue but not Hitmontop)
Gen III: 78
Gen IV: 72 (Forgot Lucario)
Gen V: 56 (That was way worse than it should have been.)

I'm a visual guy, so that quiz would most likely be a bit too hard to do well on using an iPad and some rusty memories. Oh well.

In the meantime: Route 11's music from the original game is simply orgasmic. This is still my favorite version simply because of the way Junichi layered those wave chords over one another, creating really-rich chiptune sound that accentuates the whole adventure feel of the theme. The definition of nostalgia.

FR/LG version is still the best version overall, though.

I would fail those tests so badly.

I think I've decided to work on my Pokedex in SS though. I've never completed one before. Wow I'm doing worse than I thought; 233 seen/ 159 obtained for the Johto Dex and 335 seen/ 202 obtained for National Dex.

This is gonna be fun.

Edit: What's the best way to level Pokemon up in SS?

Dragoon's post made me ponder what my favourite route theme for each gen is, i'm thinking...

Gen1: Route 4
Gen2: Route 29
Gen3: Route 110
Gen4: Route 201
Gen5: Route 6

Gen 4 gave me a bit of trouble, there's a bunch of good themes but I never had any one in particular jump out at me, though going through them was pretty nostalgic for a game that isn't even that old.

Wiseblade

Today's topic: Best Elite Four

We've argued about Gym Leaders and Champions until we were blue in the face multiple times, but I don't think we've touched on this one before. I don't think there are any obvious fan favourites, so the lists should be interesting.

By Region:
Hoenn > Sinnoh > Unova > Kanto > Johto.

Individually
Phoebe > Drake > Aaron > Bertha > Glacia > Lance > Bruno > *

Also, E4 Lance >>>>> Champion Lance.

Dragoon's post made me ponder what my favourite route theme for each gen is, i'm thinking...

Gen1: Route 4

Definitely my other big favorite, though I dislike how short all of the non-HG/SS arrangements are. A great chord progression, and a memorable one indeed.
Gen2: Route 29

My favorites from G/S and HG/SS are the Lake and Route 47/48 themes. The former is just great for prowling the wilderness, but Hitomi Sato's latter theme does a great job of providing both nostalgia and inner reflection with its great, varied, simply cathartic chords. She's underated, even by my standards.

Gen3: Route 110

Route 113 is closely tied with Route 119 and 120 for this game. The first is both fitting for the ashy foothills around Fallarbor and has a really-cool harmonic sequence that matches perfectly. But the former two are the definition of adventure, with great contrasts and bellowing brass that lets up in all the right moments. Morizaku Aori is one of my least favorite Pokemon composers, but she did 120 herself—a real surprise, though not when you consider how swell Route 101's music is!

Gen4: Route 201

Unfortunately, though, I've yet to give this game's music a comprehensive listen. Being the start of the DS era, the samples are weak and that usually puts me off from giving it a listen.

Gen5: Route 6

Honors here go to Route 1, 10, and 12 for their great musical offerings. Go Ichinose delivered a unique opening route theme, while Shota Kageyama impressed me with a more creative and well-developed offering than usual for him, and Hitomi's style is so adorable and subdued. I love it all—B/W has the 2nd-best OST in the whole franchise, after all.

Gen 4 gave me a bit of trouble, there's a bunch of good themes but I never had any one in particular jump out at me, though going through them was pretty nostalgic for a game that isn't even that old.
Good stuff, overall.

We've argued about Gym Leaders and Champions until we were blue in the face multiple times, but I don't think we've touched on this one before. I don't think there are any obvious fan favourites, so the lists should be interesting.

By Region:

Individually

This is kinda tough
I'd say
Unova>Hoenn>Sinnoh>Kanto>>>Johto

Anth0ny

I love this quiz. I wonder if I can get all of gen 1. I'll try the other 4 just for the lols...without pictures it's tough.

edit: 125/151 on first try. brutal.

second try: 136/151. Missed: paras, parasect, slowpoke, slowbro, doduo, dodrio, seel, dewgong, drowzee, hypno, exeggcute, executor (I couldn't spell these two, wtf!), rhyhorn, rhydon, ditto. What a bunch of forgettable fucks.

LeleSocho

Banned
Dragoon knows his music that's for sure.

By Region:

Individually

Looking through the lineups I realize that I don't really care for any of the groups.
Johto>Unova>Kanto>Sinnoh>Hoenn

Don't really know why I like the Johto lineup, maybe i'm entertained by the fact that Koga was apparently so damn good at his gym leading job that he got the call up to the big time.
Unova are the most fun to fight since you have choice in the order to tackle them, plus they get some swanky themed rooms.

Wiseblade

Sinnoh pre Platinum was shit, Flint in particular. Steelix, Lopunny and Drifblim, Good God.

To be fair on flint, it's not his fault. Infernape and Rapidash were the only fire types available at the time. that said, the fact that Game Freak then decided on a Fire type Elite four member boggles the mind.

Hmm...I'll give this a shot.

Gen 1: Route 4
Gen 2: Route 38/39
Gen 3: Route 111 - The Desert (I'm not really partial to most of R/S/E's tracks.)
Gen 4: Route 206
Gen 5: Route 10

Can't say i'm much of a fan of the R/S/E soundtracks either, but that's mainly down to the GBA having pretty bad sound quality for the most part, even Fire Red didn't leave unscathed. But the battle themes were pretty solid for Hoenn.

Route 10 from the 5th gen is like Professor Layton in my Pokemon, it's my runner up choice.

Can't say i'm much of a fan of the R/S/E soundtracks either, but that's mainly down to the GBA having pretty bad sound quality for the most part, even Fire Red didn't leave unscathed. But the battle themes were pretty solid for Hoenn.
All of that "pretty bad sound quality" is the reason why the battle themes from Gen 3 are so memorable to begin with, I say. Adding in more clarity to the sound samples really took away the raw edge of those tracks, and even from the rest of the music as well. Treasures like "Dewford Town" and "Fallarbor Town" dot R/S/E's soundtrack, in addition to some amazing route themes and great event BGM. IMO, FR/LG actually suffered more due to the reliance on high-pitched samples that felt more like chiptune-like sound waves than actual mock instruments. R/S/E, on the other hand, had an audiovisual experience that had a mutual symbiosis with the music and sound quality of the soundtrack—the adventure enhanced it, and the music enhanced the adventure. FR/LG did suffer musically, for the most part, but only because the instrumental variation and some of the rearrangement was just lackluster to start!

The anime music is amazing.
It certainly is

All of that "pretty bad sound quality" is the reason why the battle themes from Gen 3 are so memorable to begin with, I say. Adding in more clarity to the sound samples really took away the raw edge of those tracks, and even from the rest of the music as well. Treasures like "Dewford Town" and "Fallarbor Town" dot R/S/E's soundtrack, in addition to some amazing route themes and great event BGM. IMO, FR/LG actually suffered more due to the reliance on high-pitched samples that felt more like chiptune-like sound waves than actual mock instruments. R/S/E, on the other hand, had an audiovisual experience that had a mutual symbiosis with the music and sound quality of the soundtrack—the adventure enhanced it, and the music enhanced the adventure. FR/LG did suffer musically, for the most part, but only because the instrumental variation and some of the rearrangement was just lackluster to start!

How much I enjoy GBA music seems to wildly vary for me, it certainly did give R/S/E a unique musical flavour but i'm kind of hoping for remakes to give the soundtrack a boost, well a boost for me at any rate, each to their own and all.

How much I enjoy GBA music seems to wildly vary for me, it certainly did give R/S/E a unique musical flavour but i'm kind of hoping for remakes to give the soundtrack a boost, well a boost for me at any rate, each to their own and all.

I guess so. The benefits of better sample quality, better sound composition, and better arrangement are definitely helping the series to catch up to that musical zenith, I think. B/W was just this close from being my favorite score, and I bet the remade R/S/E soundtrack might just impress me enough for me to reconsider. Seeing that GF is doing a better job of developing their games and in-game concepts, I can only hope that Go Ichinose can do the same for his first big-time soundtrack in the franchise (which was R/S/E, in which he a lot of the major themes while Junichi directed and had less time to lead).

Now: that Shinji Miyazaki arrangement of Route 4 is pretty darn good. Simple, to the point, and effective.

Top Bottom