• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Salvadora

I never really watched the anime :/ I saw little bits at a friends when i was young but that was it. I Feel like i really missed out, Tempted to try to watch it but i don't know if i could stick the filler.

I never really watched the anime :/ I saw little bits at a friends when i was young but that was it. I Feel like i really missed out, Tempted to try to watch it but i don't know if i could stick the filler.
As tempting as it is, I couldn't slog past the filler just to satisfy my nostalgic interests. Meh. I just wish the anime would focus more on the human characters and less on the victim-of-the-week Pokemon in-distress.

Not to distract from the current conversation, but I need the opinions of people who are familiar with the games, and I figured this was the best place to ask.

I haven't played Pokemon since Crystal, and I am looking to pick up a newer one (since all of my Pokemon were destroyed in a tragic cartridge battery dying incident, and I would prefer to play it on my 3DS). I have it narrowed down between Platinum and Heart Gold, so I ask of you, which is the better game? I am leaning toward Platinum since I am already familiar with Gold's storyline via Crystal and Silver. Any recommendations would be appreciated though.

Also, what is up with Platinum being more expensive than Black and White?

Suairyu

Banned
Without nostalgia, I'm not sure it holds up so well. I mean, it's cool at first and occasionally surprises you with some really poignant stuff and the soundtrack (both the orchestra score and the US songs) are great but it can get tired.

The original movie still holds up as a Pokémon fan's dream, though. And the US version is factually better there.

Once I finish my White replay, I'm planning to go back to the beginning of the anime and play the episodes synchronised to playing the games, so FireRed at first then SoulSilver etc. I'll reach Viridian city in FireRed then watch the Viridian City episode in the anime and so on. No idea if I'll be able to stick it out or not, but that was a great part of the appeal when I first played Red all those years ago - I recognised locations in the games that I had seen in the anime and vice versa.

Not to distract from the current conversation, but I need the opinions of people who are familiar with the games, and I figured this was the best place to ask.

I haven't played Pokemon since Crystal, and I am looking to pick up a newer one (since all of my Pokemon were destroyed in a tragic cartridge battery dying incident, and I would prefer to play it on my 3DS). I have it narrowed down between Platinum and Heart Gold, so I ask of you, which is the better game? I am leaning toward Platinum since I am already familiar with Gold's storyline via Crystal and Silver. Any recommendations would be appreciated though.

Why not Black and White, out of interest?

Salvadora

Platinum & HGSS are great, Couldn't go wrong with either really. Platinum would be fresh for you so maybe that. You could always pick up SS down the road.
Platinum is more expensive because its out of print? I'm not sure.

Gen 1: Definitely the Viridian City melody. My absolute favorite town theme in Pokemon ever, because it's just the right pinch of nostalgia and intelligent song-writing. 2/4th Gen versions for the win—I've always thought Viridian could and should be the jazz capital of Kanto.

Gen 2: Going to have to go with the Cianwood theme here. Beautiful opening to a beautiful theme. Really feels like a Go Ichinose song here.

Gen 3: Littleroot Town, actually. It's well-developed, incredibly-memorable, and perhaps the best initial town theme I've yet heard. Pallet Town is the only one that comes close. My runner-up for Gen 3, however, is definitely Rustboro City's theme. Bossa nova is my weak point for Pokemon music, and the theme just fits the city so well.

Gen 4: Eterna City beats out Jubilife for this position.

Gen 5: Both Black City themes are tied here, mainly because they're so different and effective here. It also helps that they're both classic contributions from Go Ichinose, who shows his versatility with busy tunes and lyrical songs alike.

Why not Black and White, out of interest?

The general idea I have been getting is that people don't seem to like Black and White as much. I get the impression people don't like Diamond or Pearl much either, but did seem to like Platinum. I'm really out of the loop for Pokemon though, so I don't really know the pros and cons of each, hence my asking for opinions.

Salvadora said:
Platinum & HGSS are great, Couldn't go wrong with either really. Platinum would be fresh for you so maybe that. You could always pick up SS down the road.

Thanks! That is why I was thinking of going with Platinum. Gold looks good, but I have effectively played it before.

Platinum is more expensive because its out of print? I'm not sure.

Perhaps, it does seem to possibly be rarer. I haven't found it in any store, but I have seen Gold (though not Silver), and Black/White seems to be everywhere.

Salvadora

Black & White are great. I would wholly recommend getting them, But try the Gen IV games first. Its hard to go back, For me at least.

The general idea I have been getting is that people don't seem to like Black and White as much. I get the impression people don't like Diamond or Pearl much either, but did seem to like Platinum. I'm really out of the loop for Pokemon though, so I don't really know the pros and cons of each, hence my asking for opinions.

Don't listen to GAF on this one; Black and White have a very good claim to being the best games the series has put out. However, I'd definitely start with Platinum; it's tricky readjusting after playing the next gen.

Play Platinum, then play White. You won't regret it.

Wichu

Crap, missed the Route themes. I'll do that now.

Gen 1: Route 13/14/etc, Cinnabar Island
Gen 2: Route 26 (bonus anime version), Azalea Town
Gen 3: Route 111, Sootopolis City
Gen 4: Route 209, Canalave City
Gen 5: Route 6 (Autumn), Opelucid City (White)
Doesn't really fit anywhere (gens 2/4): Route 47/48
The best route music ever: Vien Forest

Johto has amazing field/town music though; I could have gone for any of them.

EDIT: ZombieTimeMachine: If you want to play more than one game, go for Platinum then B/W. If you have to choose one, then B/W are the best.

Black & White are great. I would wholly recommend getting them, But try the Gen IV games first. Its hard to go back, For me at least.

Exterminieren said:
Don't listen to GAF on this one; Black and White have a very good claim to being the best games the series has put out. However, I'd definitely start with Platinum; it's tricky readjusting after playing the next gen.

Wichu said:
EDIT: ZombieTimeMachine: If you want to play more than one game, go for Platinum then B/W. If you have to choose one, then B/W are the best.

Ok, thanks! I will try one after Platinum then.

Play Platinum, then play White. You won't regret it.

Why White over Black, out of curiosity?

Homestuck said:
This song gets my eyes watering every time I hear it. Easily one of my favourite themes from the entire series.

I have this on my iPod. Such a beautiful theme.

Kjellson

Am I the only one who thinks Togekiss has a much better design than its prevolutions? Especially compared to Togetic, which is just ugly as fuck.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Am I the only one who thinks Togekiss has a much better design than its prevolutions? Especially compared to Togetic, which is just ugly as fuck.

Togetic is so cute, one of the best Gen 2 designs and Pokemon. Just like an angel.

I didn't like Togekiss at first but it grew on me. I'm still sort of annoyed it has no neck, it looks like a WoW player. I used to take issue with its size (it's huge) but I don't mind now, it's better to imagine characters using it to fly. Unlike, say, Natu:

bz57y.gif

(just an example, Natu can't actually learn fly apparently.)

After getting back into a Pokemon music frenzy (as is routine when I'm reminded of Pokemon's existence), I decided to take a look at some album reviews on RPGamer and Square Enix Music Online, which I publish for. And something's not right: RPGamers' reviews feel snobby and disinterested with giving the music a fair chance (as in criticizing each game's music based on how it works within the confines of the game concept and production, and not just based on some prejudiced conception of how Pokemon music works), and the reviews at SEMO, while better and lacking the conspiracy going on at the other site, still suffer from general inconsistency and different review authors, which always get on my nerves to a degree.

My solution? I'm going to do a comprehensive series coverage of all of the major Game Freak music albums released thus far, which means everything from Pulseman up to B/W. I might also convince my colleagues to contribute reviews to the project for spin-off titles and the anime soundtracks. But the continual process of simply forgoing compositional development, shifts in style and mood across albums, and a lack of definable focus from review to review has unfortunately afflicted these Pokemon music albums, and I think that's no good. When no one else wants to talk about the lyricism and versatility that Go Ichinose brought in G/S' soundtrack, or Hitomi Sato's harmonically-complex and synth-like pieces introduced in D/P, then I guess someone passionate enough about the most passed-over series of soundtracks in JRPG history (more so than Final Fantasy) has got to do something.

MikeMyers

So, I just read every post in this thread.

I used to be addicted to Pokemon until I needed glasses. My parents blamed the poor vision on the Gameboy and banned me from them, so I didn't get a DS at the time of release and missed 4th and 5th Gen.

But time has passed and I rediscovered my Gameboys. I re-played Crystal and Ruby and beat them, and now I'm re-playing Yellow.

After Yellow I plan on getting Soul Silver and beating that, then moving onto Pearl/Diamond, and finally Black/White.

My favourite Pokemon are Bulbasaur, Haunter, and Gyarados.

Wiseblade

I attempted it, but only a guy like Michael Meyers would have the audacity to pull it off.

I've done it before. Twice in fact. Although it was only 20 pages the first time. the second was roughtly 50 pages. It really highlights how cyclical PokéGAF is to read the same arguments back to back. The amount of times we've shouted at each other about who the best rival is is ridiculous.

You guys have probably the most predictable community thread ever, to say the least. Searching for the off-beat discussions inbetween the in-jokes and list wars is a bit of a challenge sometimes!

I'll get working on my project soon, but only when I finish another review for SEMO first.

Boogiepop

Haha, just browsed through Smogon's doubles section and noticed a new-age FEAR Aron set utilizing Sturdy. I'm actually kind of tempted to enter that online tournament and try trolling around with that...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DoomXploder7 also moved up a position (due to Izzy moving down.)

Still have a ways to go to catch me~

Although my total share of the thread is shrinking. :( Too many damn others.

mueeY.jpg

No! Not those others.

I guess that makes me seem less pathetic, but still...

frostbyte

First time posting in PokeGAF. Hope to have a good time here.

Btw, I read this in another thread but do some people really believe that Gen 3 sucks?

Gen 4 is the one that really sucks.

Emitan

First time posting in PokeGAF. Hope to have a good time here.

Btw, I read this in another thread but do some people really believe that Gen 3 sucks?

Gen 4 is the one that really sucks.

Likes Gen 3
Thinks Gen 4 sucks

You are gonna have a great time here!

D-Pad

I've done it before. Twice in fact. Although it was only 20 pages the first time. the second was roughtly 50 pages. It really highlights how cyclical PokéGAF is to read the same arguments back to back. The amount of times we've shouted at each other about who the best rival is is ridiculous.

Everyone said Blue, right? Because that is the only correct answer.

truth

Top Bottom