• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I just thought it was called Mew because mew is a cute kitten noise and Mew is kind of kitty looking.

Well, according to Bulbapedia, there are several possible origins for Mew's name. The kitty one is a possibility, but in my opinion the most likely explination is that it is based off of the Japanese word Myō/Myū, which means strange or unique.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A long time ago, I took the Pokémon I gathered in Pokémon Coliseum and Pokémon Box and transferred them into Sapphire via the GBA Link Cable. Later, using two GBAs, I began the long process of trading them over to Fire Red. Next came the transfer to Diamond, which took a while given the limits. Diamond then went to Platinum via another DS and then Platinum ones were traded to Soul Silver. Later still, I sat through the horrible process of transferring them all to White and using the horrendous catching minigame. What were they thinking?

Anyway, wall-o'-text, but my points are thus:

a) Please make the transfer process less painful!
b) Please continue to let me transferring! I really hope GenVI isn't locked off from the rest..

Edit: On the topic of shinies, well... I've sunk hundreds hours into each generation thus far and I've never even seen one. My shinies consist of the red Gyarados, the Pichu event one and the Eevee event one. Sigh.

Thinking about it, I'm pretty nervous about the prospects of transferring from Gen 5 to 6. And it would sort of mirror what happened originally:

Reboot games (RBGY, BW) can transfer back and forth with their direct sequels (GSC, BW2) but then get locked off from trading in the next gen (RSE, Gen 6.)

Suairyu

Banned
Thinking about it, I'm pretty nervous about the prospects of transferring from Gen 5 to 6. And it would sort of mirror what happened originally:

Reboot games (RBGY, BW) can transfer back and forth with their direct sequels (GSC, BW2) but then get locked off from trading in the next gen (RSE, Gen 6.)
While I think there would be benefits to re-designing hidden value system to stop it being so grindy and to find a way to make battles more strategic rather than meta, what would be the point at this stage of making the next gen a new 'start'?

If we disregard your notion of RBGY as reboots (I appreciate you don't mean the term literally, but even metaphorically I don't think it works - a long series was never envisioned, both RGBY and GSC were both conceivable "ends" to the series. As the number of Pokémon grew a new data-base was needed in RSE) and we do not classify RSE as reboots either ("data reset" would be a better term), Black and White remain to date the only efforts in the series approaching to what one might call a reboot. It isn't even that - we've all coined the term "soft reboot" for a reason - it is a reboot in the intellectual sense, creating a new 150+ 'base' from which to evolve the franchise in a new direction, whilst still leaving the previous ~500 as part of the system.

Given the undoubtable success of Black and White, what would GameFreak have to gain by performing another RSE-style data-reset? Their investment in a new 'base' would be thrown away.

The only way I can see gen VI being a new data-reset is if they create an importing method that allows gen V to send to gen VI, in the process modifying the data to a new gen VI equivalent. Due to lack of planning, this isn't something that could have been achieved with RSE. This time around, they would have had all the planning in the world.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Reboots was the wrong term, maybe "new start" would work better.

I just meant technically I don't think it's possible for a DS to communicate with a 3DS (in 3DS mode.) A way it might work is an eShop app that copies over your Pokemon to internal memory, but that might be hoping for too much.

Suairyu

Banned
I just meant technically I don't think it's possible for a DS to communicate with a 3DS (in 3DS mode.) A way it might work is an eShop app that copies over your Pokemon to internal memory, but that might be hoping for too much.
I don't think it would technical on a synchronous level, that being two-way continuous information exchange to allow trading and battling, but given they both use the same wireless communication technology and Gamefreak understands their own information format, it don't foresee it being too difficult for a 3DS Pokémon to read the data on a DS cart and import it to its own.

That's how it works with the GBA->DS PalPark - it's the illusion of importing, in reality simply data copying and deletion, rather than any proper communication.

Alternatively, a 3DS app that acts as an intermediary, importing the DS Pokémon data into its internal memory, then feeding it into a 3DS Pokémon cart seems a good option.

Younicorn

Neo Member
So I made the jump and bought White last night.

I haven't TRULY played a game hardcore since Ruby and Sapphire, but have been playing around lately with Heart Gold and the positive reviews and words about the game forced me to pick it up...

Any advice before I lead off?

Suairyu

Banned
If you want a slightly more challenging time for the earlier gyms, pick Snivy.

Otherwise; it's Pokémon. No advice needed as you cannot permanently screw yourself over.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that most people swear the fourth gym is the hardest they've ever faced. So long as you've been catching every Pokémon along the way (as you should) and spend a moment considering what each has to offer, it's actually the easiest in the entire franchise. I won't say anymore than that.

As more hollistic advice, this is the first time since RBY that you've had 150 brand new Pokémon to learn. There are no new returning faces until after you beat the Elite Four. I find it helps to have a completely new team for each gym (minus your starter, for sentimental reasons). Not only does this best allow you to exploit the gym's weakness, you can make it challenging by purposefully under leveling a bit, and you have an easier time memorising all the new Pokémon.

Younicorn

Neo Member
If you want a slightly more challenging time for the earlier gyms, pick Snivy.

Otherwise; it's Pokémon. No advice needed as you cannot permanently screw yourself over.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that most people swear the fourth gym is the hardest they've ever faced. So long as you've been catching every Pokémon along the way (as you should) and spend a moment considering what each has to offer, it's actually the easiest in the entire franchise. I won't say anymore than that.

As more hollistic advice, this is the first time since RBY that you've had 150 brand new Pokémon to learn. There are no new returning faces until after you beat the Elite Four. I find it helps to have a completely new team for each gym (minus your starter, for sentimental reasons). Not only does this best allow you to exploit the gym's weakness, you can make it challenging by purposefully under leveling a bit, and you have an easier time memorising all the new Pokémon.

Hmmm...

I am indeed looking forward to an entirely new set of Pokemon.

In looking at Serebii and Bulbapedia there appears to be a lot of new things I need to understand, but I enjoy that part of it. Between mastering the new Pokemon and finding new favorites, I'm sure this'll be a blast!!

Robin64

In reference to the "Can DS communicate wireless with a 3DS in 3DS mode?" thing, I believe it can. There was an app for the DSiWare store that allowed transferring of DSiWare games over to the 3DS. The DSi was obviously in DS mode, but the 3DS was clearly 3DS mode as it was full-screen, 3D, part of the OS, etc.

For devs, they know the protocol needed, I don't think it's hard to implement it at all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
In reference to the "Can DS communicate wireless with a 3DS in 3DS mode?" thing, I believe it can. There was an app for the DSiWare store that allowed transferring of DSiWare games over to the 3DS. The DSi was obviously in DS mode, but the 3DS was clearly 3DS mode as it was full-screen, 3D, part of the OS, etc.

For devs, they know the protocol needed, I don't think it's hard to implement it at all.

I think that'd be DSi mode than anything, and the DSi and 3DS share a lot together. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I find it unlikely that if there are wireless communication APIs that devs use that they'll work cross-system.

Boogiepop

Man, I really hope they continue to push breeding into more usable territory with the new games. I'm not really sure where else to obviously add things, but maybe make it so you can put an item "in the daycare" with the Pokemon that forces certain IVs to be passed down from certain parents (with a variety of other possible items for other effects, I guess), or maybe letting you put in a third pokemon whose item/ability/IVs could somehow contribute even if they aren't compatible.

I just really feel like the breeding system needs one more big push, and it wouldn't be such a pain to use anymore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, I really hope they continue to push breeding into more usable territory with the new games. I'm not really sure where else to obviously add things, but maybe make it so you can put an item "in the daycare" with the Pokemon that forces certain IVs to be passed down from certain parents (with a variety of other possible items for other effects, I guess)

Um that's already the case since HGSS.

or maybe letting you put in a third pokemon whose item/ability/IVs could somehow contribute even if they aren't compatible.

Pokage trois?

upandaway

So I made the jump and bought White last night.

I haven't TRULY played a game hardcore since Ruby and Sapphire, but have been playing around lately with Heart Gold and the positive reviews and words about the game forced me to pick it up...

Glance over the differences between RSE and DPPt on Serebii. There were a lot of behind-the-scenes changes that will just confuse you if you don't see it.

Oh geez, Smogon finally updated their site for Black & White. Welp, I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day.

I'm not even into competitive battling; I just love reading their articles. xD

Suairyu

Banned
Theoretical improvements for a new data-set:

FFVII chocobo style breeding. If you train a Pokémon up to be a winner (thus raising whatever new variation of the EV value system they come up with), breed that Pokémon and its child would likely be of a higher 'tier'. So basically have a parent's EV have some form of direct correlation to a child's IV.

Take some of the randomness and stat-checking out of the IV system. Have it so theoretically a dedicated player could within two or three generations reliably birth a Pokémon of perfect IVs. As you'd still need a parent's EVs, there's work involved. Seeing as if you're IV training you want to battle anyway, the 'grind' aspect would be somewhat-enjoyable. At least more enjoyable than doing a ton of eggs and rare candy checking them.

This keeps the 'genetics' style of "every pokémon is a unique flower" that IVs are meant to represent whilst giving dedicated players a less-maddening method of making the 'perfect' team. It's also something that could much better be explained in-game, being not so meta. I also think this new system would provide a greater sense of ownership and accomplishment than simply playing the IV game as it currently stands.

It'd also mean the 10 year olds will be less confused when they get completely whomped by older kids/adults at tournaments. It won't be "they have magically better stats despite being the same level as me", it'll be "oh they must have trained and bred their pokémon for a few generations I should do that too".

Suairyu

Banned
How about we get rid of IVs. They save no purpose other than frustration and grinding.
I like the idea of stat-based genetics. I just think the current system is too obfuscated, complicated and random right now for the average player to do anything with it.

Suairyu

Banned
So it's just like real life! :O
But it isn't, because it just means people with more time/patience/knowledge/hax on their hands are just going get a great team, whereas you might have the most dedicated player ever but if they don't understand the complicated elements of IVs (which aren't explained in-game in the slightest) they will still get mopped up. That certainly isn't like real life. You can't genetically modify your sports team or cattle (you can selectively breed cattle, but the current in-game system isn't really like that at all).

A system of genetics on a competitive game should not slavishly follow 'real life' if it serves to make the game less enjoyable and/or competitive.

I mean, sure, keep some randomness in there, but generally someone who invests a bunch of quality time in a game, that is playing the game how it is meant to be played through battling etc., should be able to stay on top.

Gravijah

we had this discussion once before, and i think the consensus among those who argued is that a simplified iv system would be better. instead of 0-31 have, say... very weak, weak, normal, strong, very strong.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's just like real life, if you go out of your way to fix your child up with an aryan knockout they'll have stronger genes and are thus more likely to survive! Pokemon rewards such people.

Or not. I don't really have a clue how genetics work.

Well in any case I'm not opposed to changing how IVs work. Not a system I'm really attached to. EVs are kind of annoying but they'd be perfect with only a bit of slight tweaking.

we had this discussion once before, and i think the consensus among those who argued is that a simplified iv system would be better. instead of 0-31 have, say... very weak, weak, normal, strong, very strong.

But then you're just wasting those three extra bytes.

Suairyu

Banned
It's just like real life, if you go out of your way to fix your child up with an aryan knockout they'll have stronger genes and are thus more likely to survive! Pokemon rewards such people.
:O

That was painful to read, Andrex.

Also, I return to the "it's a game" idea. 'Real life' should be inspiration for the data systems in Pokémon, not a hard set rule to make the game more awkward.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I know I sure wouldn't let my daughter date any ducks. Nope, only strong swans for her.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Once you go quack you never go back.

image.php

My main problem with IVs and to a lesser extent EVs is that while they hint at them in game, they still keep this crap hidden and extremely hard to check.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My main problem with IVs and to a lesser extent EVs is that while they hint at them in game, they still keep this crap hidden and extremely hard to check.

They become 1% more transparent with each new game. The EV training items always passing down the corresponding IV pretty much tells me Game Freak has an ear or two towards the competitive community. There's lots of things in the games already that are focused on making it easier on hardcore battlers I'm surprised when I'm reminded of them.

Maybe with Gen 6 there will be a culmination and the system will be less opaque.

Robin64

I love that every Pokemon gets to be a little unique, but if complicated and hidden IVs are the way to do it then I'm not so sure. I'd personally like some way to make that first Growlithe (say) that I catch not get completely obliterated just because of some hidden (to the average person) stats.

Emitan

EVs are what's supposed to make your Pokémon unique. IVs are basically doing the same thing as EVs to GameFreak, except theyre 1000 times more difficult to influence and literally no hints are given to their existence.

Emitan

ivs also don't matter at all unless you are competitive battling, in which case they are very easy to determine.

Yeah, I can easily determine them. I spent a few hours making a Chandelure for my "competitive" team only to discover all of its IVs were 11 or below. It had abysmal stats. And then I just gave up.

Sure, I could have hacked it to have 31, but that feels like cheating.

Younicorn

Neo Member
I thought there was some way to tell when a Pokemon was hacked or gained illegally in previous versions?

Is this still the case in Gen V or am I missing something?

Am I going to be randomly battling someone online who'll have an IV 31 Shiny Charizard?

Suairyu

Banned
EVs are what's supposed to make your Pokémon unique. IVs are basically doing the same thing as EVs to GameFreak, except theyre 1000 times more difficult to influence and literally no hints are given to their existence.
This is the crux of my argument. They only make wild Pokémon unique. The notion of EVs - that Pokémon raised from birth are stronger - is a sound one. You get better Pokémon by playing the game in-line with how it should be played. But IVs? A trainer serious about competing is going to have perfect IVs in the relevant stats anyway, either by having the patience of a saint and doing things that aren't really in-line with the core Pokémon experience, or by hax. So what's the point?

Instead, make it a gameplay elements expanded upon on the story. Make that EV-IV link so you so when you train a Pokémon up to a high level, their offspring is a cut above. Two or three generations down the line, you have an IV-maxed Pokémon ready for tournaments. You could even have the requirements be something like winning the Battle Frontier/Subway, like it was in Final Fantasy VII - if you chocobo won races, its babies would be the next tier up in ability. At least that way you'd actually playing the game to get better Pokémon.

All irrelevant anyway because I doubt gen VI would be a new data-system.

Suairyu

Banned
i like the randomness, but i don't bother with competitive battling.
Gosh what a 1%er. I suppose who don't support public healthcare because you don't get sick either!

For the rest of us shmoes, it's a horrible world out there. You have to battle to make it!

I don't competitive battle but would if the IV system was better.

Robin64

I'm really loving this idea of the offspring of high level Pokemon (maybe ones that maxed EVs?) having higher IVs and getting max IV Pokemon within a few generations. From a child's perspective playing the game, they'd just know that "babies of their favourite Pokemon can be even stronger". It's a solid notion.

I started a new game last night in Black and it got me thinking...assuming that Black and White 2 will indeed be different from the usual third versions we get, who will the starters be?

If they're the same as now then I can't see the games being dramatically different because they'd need to be trained again which kinda implies going through the game again.
Either way I think calling the games Black and White 2 gives them a real chance to go off the board with these games. Like literally continuing where the previous ones left off or adding some areas (or a region) so that going through the whole game again is worth it.

Top Bottom