• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Suairyu

Banned
Lugia movie was alright. Felt like an actual movie rather than an extra-long episode like all subsequent ones (that I have watched) have felt like.

Celebi was movie was pure trash.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Ok, I need more Battle Factory in my veins. I have spent over 50 hrs in SS's alone. I just love using random Pokemon and making teams work. I love "stealing" an opponent's Pokemon after winning to better carve out a team. So much fun. Almost never the same. Need more.

Sianos

I forgot the Battle Factory was a thing! I've been in the mood for some Pokemon, but I don't have the time to train lately or get back into the UU Metagame. Thanks for reminding me!

Ultratech

Also, I've never been able to get over seeing Moltres as a rubber chicken. Just... the least impressive legendary because of that.

Compared to the awesomeness that is Zapdos and Articuno, it's just sucky.

We need Battle Factory as an option on the GBU. Use Rental Pokemon in battles against other people. Get that on your list, Gamefreak!

That'd be pretty cool actually. Battle Factory was fun.

I hate the movies because the show just ignores them, which seems super weird. Best ones are the first one, the second one and the first one's sequel (which was AMAZING, Giovanni was such a boss, even if seeing baby Nidoqueens was confusing I loved that shit).

Boogiepop

Third movie is easily the best, and the only one I consider a halfway decent movie. Some of the others are at least watchable. The Zoroark movie is painfully bad and easily the worst, unless the newest movies surpassed that level of crappyness (haven't seen them yet.)

My personal favourite movie is either the Rise of Darkrai or 4Ever, and my least favourite is easily Heroes. The writing just felt lazy, and it's also one of the major contributing factors as to why the don't show the dubbed films in theatres anymore. So. Much. Hate.

Wiseblade

Seriously, there needs to be a rule in this thread about starting list wars without me.

Movies I liked
Mewtwo Strikes Back
The Power of One
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
Arceus and the Jewel of Life

Movies I couldn't be botherted to finish
Heroes
Spell of the Unown
Giratina and the Sky Warrior
Black/White

Movies I have yet to see
4Ever
Jirachi: Wish Maker
Destiny Deoxys
Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
The Rise of Darkrai
Zoroark: Master of Illusions

It's RANKING TIME!!

The Power of One
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
Giratina and the Sky Warrior
Pokémon The Movie Black/ White
Pokémon 4Ever
Jirachi Wishmaker
Arceus and the Jewel of Life
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Spell of the Unown
Pokémon Heroes
The Rise of Darkrai
Destiny Deoxys
Zoroark: Master of Illusions

Haven't seen Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea.

I legitimately enjoy all but the last 4 of these movies. They're a REAL soft spot of mine.

upandaway

I'm pretty sure the kiss in The Power of One is the first kiss I've ever seen in theater

It's the only thing I remember about the movie (I'm not even sure it even happened because of this. Did it?)

Busaiku

I can't even remember any of the movies besides Mewtwo Strikes Back, The Power of One, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, Zorark Master of Illusions, and Victini and Reshiram/Victini and Zekrom.
I remember bits of Jirachi Wish Maker, but not much.

I didn't like The Power of One, but that's it.
I think I like Giratina and the Sky Warrior the most, but I don't even know.

Pretty sure I've seen all of the movies though.

Seriously? No-one else including Mewtwo Returns in their lists? BOO. Sure, it's technically a 'feature-length TV special' but the plot follows after the first movie so whatever, it counts. I remember seeing an advert for this when I was a kid, going 'OH SNAP MOTHERFUCKER' because I hadn't heard about it anywhere, and pestering my mother to get it because holy crap I needed to see it or I would throw myself out of a window. It had Mewtwo and bad-ass Team Rocket and it was in the Johto series and ARGH SO GOOD.

Anyway it was basically my favourite thing ever as a kid to watch so yeah, fuck you guys, Mewtwo Returns > ALL. Suck it.

MikeMyers

Compared to the awesomeness that is Zapdos and Articuno, it's just sucky. .

I always thought of Moltres as a poor man's Charizard in Generation 1. Moltres had better stats, but Charizard had a MUCH better move pool - Swords Dance, Earthquake, Submission, Body Slam, and even Rock Slide if you go by GSC tradebacks.

Sure, eventually Moltres got some of his own tools that allowed him to come into his own, but by then Ho-Oh had long replaced him as the "Fire/Flying" legendary.

Edit: Just went on Charizard's RBY Smogon page and saw this.

Where Ninetales and Arcanine can hope for a lucky break to defeat their enemies, Charizard is stuck against the likes of troublesome Starmie and others.

Ninetails I can kind of understand, but what can Arcanine do that Charizard can't in RBY?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I really liked Destiny Deoxys, even if it was a bit slow at parts...but it was the first movie without a mini-movie, thus being longer so I guess they had trouble filling out the whole running time properly.

Tory was an interesting character, and I liked how the movie had a sort of "disaster movie" vibe to it, with Ash and Co. being stuck in this city invaded by these strange, alien creatures kidnapping people and disabling all the power. Meanwhile, this crazy asshole dragon is going around fucking things up because it's pissed at Deoxys for invading its territory.

It also helped that La Rousse was an awesome location (I hope one day such a city can be included in the games) for the film to be set.

And I'm not going to lie, I love the extremely cheesy J-pop theme song of the movie L-O-V-E-L-Y BOY (this is the only version I could find on YT) because it was just so out of place after watching a movie involving an alien fight a dragon in Pokemon Vancouver.

I liked Rise of Darkrai because it was pretty similar to Destiny Deoxys, come to think of it, with a whole town banding together as things go to shit.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I loved Moltres in Gen IV. Life Orb sweeper, and Pressure Stalling were both effective and required very different counters. Charizard is more frail, and was not nearly as powerful until now.. with Solar Power. Thankfully, now that Solar Power is available, less people will be attempting to sweep with BellyZard, which is generally way too tough to pull off.

I always thought of Moltres as a poor man's Charizard in Generation 1. Moltres had better stats, but Charizard had a MUCH better move pool - Swords Dance, Earthquake, Submission, Body Slam, and even Rock Slide if you go by GSC tradebacks.

Sure, eventually Moltres got some of his own tools that allowed him to come into his own, but by then Ho-Oh had long replaced him as the "Fire/Flying" legendary.

Edit: Just went on Charizard's RBY Smogon page and saw this.

Where Ninetales and Arcanine can hope for a lucky break to defeat their enemies, Charizard is stuck against the likes of troublesome Starmie and others.

Ninetails I can kind of understand, but what can Arcanine do that Charizard can't in RBY?

It's just a poorly written analysis. Charizard suffers the same fate as other Fire types being slower and losing to the common R/B Starmie. Charizard can't really setup though if Starmie is at risk of switching in, where Arcanine has a much stronger Body Slam right off the bat with his higher attack.

MikeMyers

I loved Moltres in Gen IV. Life Orb sweeper, and Pressure Stalling were both effective and required very different counters. Charizard is more frail, and was not nearly as powerful until now.. with Solar Power. Thankfully, now that Solar Power is available, less people will be attempting to sweep with BellyZard, which is generally way too tough to pull off.

Yeah, I mentioned Moltres came into his own after RBY, but sadly Ho-Oh had already taken the status of most badass Fire/Flying Pokemon. Although Moltres has the advantage of being unbanned outside of Uber play.

Well shit, guess I missed another Pokemon thread in Regular-GAF. How many of those threads have all of you war veterans had to deal with over the years anyway?

In other news: Black City is awesome. But, when the opponent keeps getting criticals on non-effective and standard hits seemingly all the fucking time, while I'd rarely get them for super-effectives every now and then—is it just me that's unlucky or is B/W cruel to us all? I've also had some plain unlucky match starts in the later routes, though I'm also trying to swap different Pokemon in each trainer battle I do to spread the EXP (too bothered to use Exp. Share, given how much I have to swap around anyway). Post-game is surprisingly easy, and it's only getting easier.

Shadowsdarknes shall go down in history for his silly-dillyness.

Gravijah

they could at least reveal w./b. kyurems typing. i'm hoping for ice/_____ but i just know they're going to be dragon/electric and dragon/fire again.

dc89

Just grinding before taking on the 2nd Gym in White.

My team:

Snivy Edit: Now a Servine
Herdier
Panpour
Blitzle
Munna
Tympole

Just caught a Throh too, so gonna go swap him in for Tympole.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe we'll get triple typing.

and fusions!!!

Edit- I actually like the idea of triple typing, seems like a logical progression that will make the whole game a whole ton more complex and awesome. But GF are obviously saving it for a new gen, and I doubt even Gen 6 will be it.

Younicorn

Neo Member
Ugh.

Does anyone have a LEGIT Japanese Ditto they'd like to trade?

I don't have much in a way of an offer, in fact, you'd almost be doing it as a favor, but I'd love to start breeding with the Masuda Method, I just don't want a Pokemon that's been hacked or modified.

Anyone? Please?

upandaway

I've been thinking about triple typing too. I don't think just adding a third type will be good, so consider the following:

Primary type: 100%
Secondary type: 75%
Third type: 50%

Percentage = resistance multiplier.

It'll be more complex as far as calculation goes but it'll make more sense for a Fire/ground/rock to be less weak to grass than a Ground/rock/fire. Plus it solves the problem of having things too weak to one type.

Well no this seems way too complicated. Dang.

Anth0ny

I heard if you beat the Elite Four 30 times without saving, Professor Oak gives you the Mist Stone that evolves Dragonite into Mewthree.

i heard if you catch all the pokemon and get them all at level 100 (ALL of them, even caterpie and metapod), then you go to the bike shop and use the item finder 100 times you'll find the truck keys then you go to the truck and put in the keys and teach strength to machamp to make the truck move. mew is there and he can only be caught if you weaken it and use a master ball it wont work unless you damange him!

i heard if you catch all the pokemon and get them all at level 100 (ALL of them, even caterpie and metapod), then you go to the bike shop and use the item finder all times you'll find the truck keys then you go to the truck and put in the keys and teach strength to machamp to make the truck move. mew is there and he can only be caught if you weaken it and use a master ball it wont work unless you damange him!
Actually it's HM06 SuperStrength.

I like the requirement of both starting the truck and moving it physically with a Pokemon. As if either of those wouldn't be enough on their own.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I heard you play as a wild Pokémon.

I totally filled a notebook about this idea for a Pokemon game (traditional Gamefreak mechanics) where you play as Mew on the Southern Islands.

XEC1Y.jpg

mCyEr.jpg

mWGZS.jpg

I think the boss was Mewtwo. Would have been awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I also had plans to go to Japan with two close friends and make REAL Pokemon. Like genetic experiments and stuff.

I was a weird kid.

Top Bottom