• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

So I'm not really into the deep, competitive part of the game but more so the "Gotta Catch 'em All even though there's a huge number" part. Does that make me horrible?

That's the only thing I typically do. I know enough to build competitive teams, but rarely do I ever try. Any teams I build are purely for my own entertainment.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
no but i wish you luck in trying to catch certain pokemon

I have copies of Platinum, Heart Gold, Black, and White (will pick up Soul Silver later). Plus an old Diamond file with quite a few on it. I'll do my best, but I know certain events will be tough (I somehow got Deoxys and Arceus).

At least I know I'm not alone in not taking this game too seriously.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So I'm not really into the deep, competitive part of the game but more so the "Gotta Catch 'em All even though there's a huge number" part. Does that make me horrible?
TBH, I started doing competitive battling in Gen IV, and eventually I realized that it killed all the love I had for the series. As fascinating as it was to participate in such an interesting metagame, I had lost that "innocent childish fun" factor. So, I made it a point to willingly ignore that side of the game in Gen V.

survivor

Banned

You are the target audience of Game Freak.

If it makes you feel any better, I gave up on both the battling and collecting part of Pokemon.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I have a few extra event legendaries if you need 'em.

I'll let you know when (or if) I need them.

On the subject of the anime, I was looking through clips of Season 1 (Kanto) and I have to be honest, Season 1 was really bad. I mean, the whole show is "bad" but this one stands out. Especially in how Ash only earned like 3 of the 8 badges, the rest were given to him.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Now, I normally don't condone visiting IGN under any circumstances, but I'll admit that these are kinda cool:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1220695p1.html

2MSa4.jpg

5GGMO.jpg

These are a fucking riot.

Some of the Smogon CAP projects look pretty cool, and some of them look pretty frigid. But the best is, without a doubt, Voodoom. What a sack.

I laugh whenever I see people even talk about the idea of putting fusions into a Pokemon game, outside of the new Kyurem forms (which is probably a big plot set-up anyhow). It only happens in Digimon as a way of giving the critter designers an excuse to create overcomplicated, mecha-inspired Digimon. And I'm certain that Ken Sugimori would never allow it at Game Freak.

—Speaking of Digimon: do any of you guys want to see or some other developer actually try and make a game with pet simulator elements similar to Digimon World? I like the team-based mechanics in the maineline games, but focusing on one Pokemon at a time, dealing with sufficiently-interesting AI, and developing a relationship with other Trainers and Pokemon across the whole breadth of a region/area would be something new. Like Hey You Pikachu, but far better and with far more cool landscapes.
They better not just force you to use Pikachu, though. I'd have it in for them!

With all this talk about Pokémon Fusions, I thought I'd just post the most awesome and elabourate one I could find:

sgyra.jpg

inb4 Digimon comments

With all this talk about Pokémon Fusions, I thought I'd just post the most awesome and elabourate one I could find:

sgyra.jpg

inb4 Digimon comments
Must. Resist. Joke.

I like complex and uniquely-memorable Pokemon designs a lot, and hearing others whine about a relative lack of simplicity in newer designs just floats over me. But that is a ridiculous fusion.

—Speaking of Digimon: do any of you guys want to see or some other developer actually try and make a game with pet simulator elements similar to Digimon World? I like the team-based mechanics in the maineline games, but focusing on one Pokemon at a time, dealing with sufficiently-interesting AI, and developing a relationship with other Trainers and Pokemon across the whole breadth of a region/area would be something new. Like Hey You Pikachu, but far better and with far more cool landscapes.
They better not just force you to use Pikachu, though. I'd have it in for them!

I already do Scrafty solo runs, so I would give GameFreak all of my money plus 15 year's rent in order to have a relationship with one outside of kick everthing/body to death.

Circumflex? As in the diacritic used to change the pronounceation of a vowel; more commonly known as a hat (^), that looks somewhat like a horn?

And icarus, the boy who flew too close to the sun and was punished for his hubris?

genius.gif

Nah, I think I'll just call him D'Artagnan.

I never nickname my Pokémon. No imagination for it. :/

I did like in an old Nintendo Power where the person named their Butterfree Margarine. Haha.

I never nickname my Pokémon. No imagination for it. :/

I did like in an old Nintendo Power where the person named their Butterfree Margarine. Haha.

I name every single Pokémon I catch, regardless of whether or not I'm going to be actually using it. I think it's really cool to use a sort of personalized Pokémon, and I like to think that when I trade someone a named 'mon, they'll chuckle and/or look up the inspiration for the name.

I've adopted something of a rule-set for naming members of a team, but it usually only applies to starters. I've got a Samurott named Adric (Doctor Who companion), a Ferrothorn named Earl (prodding personality, earthy and with balls of steel), a Sigilyph named Rani (Doctor Who villian), a Scrafty dubbed Kevin (guy at my school who looks like a WASP Scrafty, lol), a Darmanitan called Chandra, and an Excadrill entitled Darius. Naming Pokemon is very fun, mainly because it establishes memories of when, where, and how the Pokemon was caught and how far into a part of the game you where.

I try to use a different name every time. For White, it was names from the Greek pantheon (Charon, Hephaestus, Theia, etc.) For SS, I used general Japanese names, I think.

I'll just briefly go over the names I gave my tournament team:

Scrafty: Zidane (the French football player infamous for headbutting another player)

Starmie: Dr. Squeaks (whoever gets the reference gets a cookie)

Scizor: Edward (His hands are scissors. Connect the dots!)

Togekiss: Kin (Meaning family or of relation; Togekiss brings the same kind of happiness that comes with being with family)

Jolteon: Voltekka (Obvious Pulseman reference is obvious)

Gallade: Maximus (Gallade's design was based off of a gladiator, so I figured I'd honour a pretty great movie)

Kjellson

How accurate are Lucario's moves in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? It's a Fighting/Steel type but its moves seems more Psychic, and it always goes on about its "aura".

How accurate are Lucario's moves in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? It's a Fighting/Steel type but its moves seems more Psychic, and it always goes on about its "aura".

The Lucario in Brawl is based on the Pokémon's incarnations in the animé and the movie "Lucario and the Mystery of the Mew," hence why he sounds like a cross between Dan Green and Goku.

As for his moves, they're all accurate:

B=Aura Sphere (Fighting Type)

B+up=Extremespeed (Normal Type; legally learnable)

B+side=Force Palm (Fighting Type)

B+Down=Double Team (Normal Type)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Aura Sphere is a fighting type move. A special one actually, which is kinda rare. Most fighting moves are physical by their nature.

As for the rest of its moveset, it only learns Double Team through TM and its Final Smash, Aura Storm, isn't a real Pokemon move.

I hate playing as Brawl Lucario, I was expecting something kind of similar to Captain Falcon in the sense that it would hit relatively hard and be fast on its feet, instead I got some floaty, fiery/psychic style fighter with middling impact on most moves, with that in mind I will never quite shake the "mewtwo spinoff" vibe Lucario gives me (insert people griping that I apparently equated it to a replacement or clone with that term, the funny thing being Melee Mewtwo was among my favourites).
But all things considered its moves are certainly correct, hate the way they implemented force palm though, more like flop palm with that non impact.
Oh yeah and that steel typing is completely ignored. I hope it gets a retooling if it makes the next Smash game

While we're on the topic of Smash Bros., does anyone have a wishlist of Pokémon that you would like to appear in the next Smash Bros game?

I'm going to say what everyone expects me to say: Scrafty. It would actually make sense though, as he has a humanoid frame and a wide selection of moves. To me, it would make more sense than the inevitable addition of Zoroark.

While we're on the topic of Smash Bros., does anyone have a wishlist of Pokémon that you would like to appear in the next Smash Bros game?

I'm going to say what everyone expects me to say: Scrafty. It would actually make sense though, as he has a humanoid frame and a wide selection of moves. To me, it would make more sense than the inevitable addition of Zoroark.

Well ideally my wishlist would just be my favourite pokemon but of course the odds of a pokemon trainer that uses something like Primeape/Scyther/Abomasnow has a snovers chance in hell of happening.

So with that in mind, Blaziken, it's a starter, it could rep the so far ignored 3rd gen and it would make for a good fit. Though I guess we already have Captain Falcon leaping around as a fire punching ass kicker.
Alternatively drawing from the 5th gen is a good bet, in which case I hope Krokorok has some kind of major fanbase that could squeeze him in there.

Well ideally my wishlist would just be my favourite pokemon but of course the odds of a pokemon trainer that uses something like Primeape/Scyther/Abomasnow has a snovers chance in hell of happening.

So with that in mind, Blaziken, it's a starter, it could rep the so far ignored 3rd gen and it would make for a good fit. Though I guess we already have Captain Falcon leaping around as a fire punching ass kicker.
Alternatively drawing from the 5th gen is a good bet, in which case I hope Krokorok has some kind of major fanbase that could squeeze him in there.

I think that having Krokorok/Krookodile in the game would be beyond amazing (Dark-type RESPECT), but I question how they would pull off some of his stronger moves, such as Stone Edge or Earthquake.

Top Bottom