• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Korosenai

Right now im currently ev training for a Gengar, and i'm kind of confused on something. What level should I evolve my Haunter? As soon as it becomes a Haunter? I'm not sure how ev training and stats can effect a pokemon that can only be obtained through a trade.

Zeroth

Right now im currently ev training for a Gengar, and i'm kind of confused on something. What level should I evolve my Haunter? As soon as it becomes a Haunter? I'm not sure how ev training and stats can effect a pokemon that can only be obtained through a trade.

EV training is not affected by evolutions or levels (unless you do it really late, like in the 95s). I actually have a lv 15 larvitar almost fully EV trained, and you can notice the EV trained stats are higher than the others, even if he's technically pretty low level. You can decide when to evolve it, but I think as soon as possible is better due to the increased base stats helping in your training.

My cousin traded me a cloned legit mew!

Now I need Shaymin and Deoxys and I'll have all the legendaries.

Wouldn't that make yours not legit? Or is their "legitimacy" determined differently?
Though I remember back in the generation 3 days where I waited in long line at a Toys R Us just to get a Mew that they gave out one at a time. Times sure have changed...

Wouldn't that make yours not legit? Or is their "legitimacy" determined differently?
Though I remember back in the generation 3 days where I waited in long line at a Toys R Us just to get a Mew that they gave out one at a time. Times sure have changed...

I think most people, or at least people that I have met, consider cloned stuff to be legitimate - their definition of hacked is "generated or modified with hacking device", and they consider cloning to not be hacking - duplicate data.

Think of it like copying a file in a computer and ignore the time stamps - everything is identical.

Drago

I think most people, or at least people that I have met, consider cloned stuff to be legitimate - their definition of hacked is "generated or modified with hacking device", and they consider cloning to not be hacking - duplicate data.

Think of it like copying a file in a computer and ignore the time stamps - everything is identical.
I sort of agree - by definition you have an exact copy of a completely legit Pokemon.

It isn't the same as obtaining the original though. There isn't as much satisfaction to getting a clone as there is finally obtaining a legit rare Pokemon.

I suppose they are sort of different in a way.

Kokonoe

Banned

However, Nintendo does not see it as legitimate. Although Nintendo has no way of knowing.

However, Nintendo does not see it as legitimate. Although Nintendo has no way of knowing.

whWwN.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
Mmm in the official tournaments they worked just fine.

As I said, they have no way of knowing. I've discussed this with them at a tournament recently.

Their hack checking device checks for out of place stats or impossible stats. There literally is no possible way they could make a device that could check if it was or wasn't cloned with the current way Pokemon is set up. If all Pokemon were logged somewhere on a website with specific IDs saved, they could.

However the games aren't made that way.

Legit: Gotten through official channels. Caught in the wild, bred, gotten from a distro, etc. RNG is also under this.
Legal: Same as a legit poke, except generated in some way while still having stats, abilities, and so on consistent with its PID, movelist, location, and so on. Clones are legal, but only the original has a chance of being legit.
Hacked: Wondertomb and the like.

Now, it may get blurry when you do breeding due to mechanics, but I'd say legit, unless an impossible moveset was created, in which case it'd be somewhere between legal and hacked, depending on whether it'd be allowed in a tourney.

Does Fire Fang still hit through Wonder Guard no matter their type, or did they change that?
They fixed it in BW, apparently.

---

The thing to remember is, the listing I gave is useful if you roam trading boards, as there are distinctions between the three that matter to most players/collectors.

Drago

I think I leveled up a Burmy to lv 100 once :lol

I used Action Replay so it only took a few minutes but I still don't know what I was thinking when I did that

Speaking of AR, I think I'm going to miss it a lot on 3DS. It was so much fun to fuck around with on games and now I don't think it will ever happen again :(

MikeMyers

Hmmm, might get Heart Gold soon, what would be a good in-game set for Meganium?

I was thinking of Reflect/Light Screen/Body Slam/Razor Leaf.

Not really much to choose out of.

Fuckng Tyranitars and their special defense shitting me up :(

Some kid tried to argue with me that Tyranitar is a bad Pokemon because he has so many weaknesses...-_-

OMG Aero

Meganium is pretty boring in-game because its good sets are based around support which you pretty much never need in the main game.
Take that set for example, unless you are vastly underlevelled for the whole game there is almost no instance where you wouldn't just be better off using the turn to attack instead of setting up a screen.

Firestorm

Well the finals in Italy (or might have been Spain) had the exact same two teams playing down to the same nicknames and which Pokemon were shiny so you think that would have been a tip-off. Nothing was done though so I assume they've just accepted cloning considering every game since RBY until I think BW had some sort of glitch which would allow you to clone.

I'd say teach it Petal Dance so you can beat physical walls. There's no way you're going to use both screens in-game.

Some kid tried to argue with me that Tyranitar is a bad Pokemon because he has so many weaknesses...-_-

A few months ago, I almost came to blows with a fool who claimed Wobbuffet sucked because it can't learn any attacking moves.

People are stupid.

MikeMyers

I'd say teach it Petal Dance so you can beat physical walls. There's no way you're going to use both screens in-game.

What physical walls are there? The only ones I can think of are guys like Skarmory and Fortress, both who 4x resist Grass anyway.

Meganium is pretty boring in-game because its good sets are based around support which you pretty much never need in the main game.
Take that set for example, unless you are vastly underlevelled for the whole game there is almost no instance where you wouldn't just be better off using the turn to attack instead of setting up a screen.

Yeah, but I don't like using the other two starters. And I think the Screens will probably only be used for Gym Battles / E4.

What physical walls are there? The only ones I can think of are guys like Skarmory and Fortress, both who 4x resist Grass anyway.

Well, maybe not "walls" per se, but it's good to vary your attacks while in the maingame; plus it's good to have a powerful STAB move so your starter can serve a dual purpose (especially when your starter is Meganium).

Top Bottom