• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Wiseblade

Dento_anime.jpg

It's List Wars time! Again!

Today's Edition: Player character designs.

800px-PlayerCharactersGrouped.png

Which one do you think looks the best?

Male
Hilbert > Red(FRLG) > Bendan(E) > Red(RBY) > Gold > Brendan(RS) > Ethan > Lucas.

Female
Dawn > Leaf > Hilda > May > Kris > Lyra.

Obviously I'm right, but I want to hear your opinions, too.

Male
Hilbert > Red(FRLG) > Gold > Red(RBY) > Bendans > Ethan > Lucases.

Female
Leaf > May > Lyra > Dawn > Kris > Hilda

Hilda would rank much higher if her hair wasn't so big and she didn't have Klonoa shoved down her shorts.

Anth0ny

Classic Red > all

GSC_Trainer_Red.png
>
RedHGSS.gif
>
GS_Ethan.png
>
BW_Hilbert.png
>
RS_Brendan.png
>
HGSS_Ethan.png
>
Pt_Lucas.png

I think they really dropped the ball when it came to gen 3 and 4 designs. The gen 4 transformation of Gold is fucking terribad, I'm sure we've all seen the comparison pic. You know, he doesn't look too bad in that sprite, but...

200px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Ethan.png

...yeah.

Kinda wish they kept the original design for Red, too:
4fp6p.png

Female:

DP_Dawn.png
>
Pt_Dawn.png
>
BW_Hilda.png
>
RS_May.png
>
C_Kris.png
>
FRLG_Leaf.png
>
HGSS_Lyra.png

Funny how it's almost the opposite for the girls. It's like they stopped giving a shit about the guys in gen 3 and 4, and focused on making the girls awesome.

My favorite guy would be Red. Hilbert would be better if he didn't have that European carry-all. Worst is Brendan, without a doubt. They even made him worse in Emerald.
My favorite girl would be the Mario girl Lyra, with May a close second. I think the worst is Kris. Never liked her. Ugly design with ugly hair.
And with this, I overtake Gravijah
What an accomplishment! You should put that on your résumé.

Wiseblade

My favorite guy would be Red. Hilbert would be better if he didn't have that European carry-all. Worst is Brendan, without a doubt. They even made him worse in Emerald.
My favorite girl would be the Mario girl Lyra, with May a close second. I think the worst is Kris. Never liked her. Ugly design with ugly hair.
Hey man, messenger bags are cool!

Ooh, list warz.

Male: Hilbert> Lucas (Diamond/Pearl) > Gen I Red > Gold > Lucas (Platinum) > Ethan > FRLG Red > Brendan.

Female: Dawn (Diamond/Pearl) > Hilda > May > Dawn (Platinum) > Leaf > Lyra

Damned Platinum ruining the player characters' outfits.

In other news, Musketeer Trio and Kyurem basically confirmed for the next movie.

Token question mark for Keldeo/ Kyurem forme.

There's someone who actually likes Lucas? Never thought I'd see the day.

Keldeo being the first event Poké by dex no. guaranteed it the next movie IMO, but Kyurem is a bit of a surprise to me. I assumed he'd his own movie.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Non-Plat Lucas is pretty cool, better than Brendan at least.

For me it'd be:

Male: Hilbert > Gold > Red (RBY) > Ethan > Red (FrLg) > Lucas (DP) > Brendan (Emerald) > Lucas (Plat) > Brendan (RS)

Female: Dawn (DP) > Hilda > Dawn (Plat) > May (RS) = May (Emerald) > Leaf > Kris > Kotone

4fp6p.png

This is badass. :O

Oh yes. Love a beret.

Keldeo being the first event Poké by dex no. guaranteed it the next movie IMO, but Kyurem is a bit of a surprise to me. I assumed he'd his own movie.

I don't think it has space for its own movie. Gen V has so many legendary trios and event legendaries that they're going to struggle to fit them in as it is.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 2013 movie had both Meloetta and Genesect, and maybe even a sixth gen Pokemon.

Actually, I've had a thought. Due to Victini being revealed last year instead of this, 2011 is the first year since the beginning of the franchise that we haven't had a new Pokemon officially revealed.

Crazy.

Wiseblade

Oh yes. Love a beret.

I don't think it has space for its own movie. Gen V has so many legendary trios and event legendaries that they're going to struggle to fit them in as it is.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 2013 movie had both Meloetta and Genesect, and maybe even a sixth gen Pokemon.

Actually, I've had a thought. Due to Victini being revealed last year instead of this, 2011 is the first year since the beginning of the franchise that we haven't had a new Pokemon officially revealed.

Crazy.
Well, the Genies/Kami Trio are getting an anime special, so that's them covered. Genesect seems designed to be introduced through Plasma's anime storyline/Grey event too.

Well, the Genies/Kami Trio are getting an anime special, so that's them covered. Genesect seems designed to be introduced through Plasma's anime storyline/Grey event too.

In that case, I foresee a Gen IV style run up to the sixth generation. Bring on the two and a half year HYPE STORM.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There's never going to be a Dream World Regigigas, is there? *sigh* Whatever, he'd probably get a worse ability like Truant or something.

Pokemon with abilities that hinder them (Regigigas, Slaking), Pokemon with Levitate, and a few others (Rotom) don't have alternative Dream World ability. The best you can hope for there is a cool new move.

PS_GUY

Hey man, messenger bags are cool!

Not surprising at all. This movie reminds me a lot of Movie 11 with Shaymin and Giratina as the star of the movie. Shaymin and Giratina both had new forms in that movie and in Pokemon Platnium. I wonder if they'll give the same treatment to Keldeo and Kyurem.

By the way, the new ad only has one ?. I remember another ad that has two ?

Nevermind, I found it: http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/?p=7021

Anyone going to see the Victini movie this weekend? I want to but I don't live anywhere near on of the theatres they'll be playing at..

Firestorm

Can't go back to backpacks. As someone who uses public transit a lot, messenger bags are great for not taking up a lot of space. Also like being able to sling it in front of me to take something then back again with no effort. It's probably worse for your back but just so convenient.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can't go back to backpacks. As someone who uses public transit a lot, messenger bags are great for not taking up a lot of space. Also like being able to sling it in front of me to take something then back again with no effort. It's probably worse for your back but just so convenient.

Yeah, agreed. Nothing beats rushing to class, remembering you have to pull something out, and just extracting it while still briskly walking forwards. The best.

Emitan

Yeah, agreed. Nothing beats rushing to class, remembering you have to pull something out, and just extracting it while still briskly walking forwards. The best.
High fives to both of you.

I should probably buy that Nintendo messenger bag with my Club Nintendo coins. I have a bunch that are close to expiring.

I agree with the Canadian Charmander.

That show has random references sometimes...

There was one older episode a while back, where he was playing Metroid: Zero Mission. But he didn't really describe it all too accurately.

I was surprised at the type of reference made, though (DP creation myth not being something that people with passing knowledge of Pokemon would get).

That reference was clearly not written by someone with only a passing knowledge of the series. For mainstream audiences, Arceus is obscure, and it even obliquely refers to the three Sinnoh dragons.

The writer of that was hardcore. Easily the geekiest thing I've seen on mainstream telly for quite a while.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That reference was clearly not written by someone with only a passing knowledge of the series. For mainstream audiences, Arceus is obscure, and it even obliquely refers to the three Sinnoh dragons.

The writer of that was hardcore. Easily the geekiest thing I've seen on mainstream telly for quite a while.

Indeed. Although I thought it was referring to the Lake Guardians for some reason.

Because of the whole 'three states of matter', the reference had to have been a roundabout way of talking about Dialga/Palkia/Giratina creating the universe with their Arceus-given powers.

Top Bottom