• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
B2QeY.jpg

OMG Aero

So this week's dub episode has taught me that absolutely every wild Pokemon in Unova is a whiny little bitch.

Including Scrafty.

Feels bad man.
This week's episode taught me that Iris is a complete jerk.
"Thanks for helping me get my Axew back and nice job helping those wild Pokemon out Meowth. Now you belong to me."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well "that" because I thought it was going to be "this," and "becoming" because it was split into two words.

Edit- Like Beefer said.

Gravijah

trivia tonight first to 100

Grav2 has the best score of 97 ; ColtraineGF - 26; boney - 21; ChetRippo - 13; DoomXploder7 - 6;

yawn

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tJR2T.png

It's dub anime review time!

Pokemon Black & White
s14, ep43: "Meowth's Scrafty Tactics!"

vFVys.png

Meowth is probably the worst dub voice at this point, but it's not really the dubber's fault. Maddie was a great voice actress, but Jimmy Zoppi (aka Oak, Gary, and nu-James) just completely butchers the Brooklyn accent (not that such a thing should have even been apart of any anime dub ever, but you know, 4kids. They love their wacky accents.) James is a close second for worst voice but it's more tolerable since he doesn't have an accent.
Bring back Kaiba James.

cN0X1.png

Cilan seemed a bit too eager to start stroking Meowth's body. Maybe Wiseblade was right about him after alll...

QOTnk.png

OK, Meowth is booted after one failed mission? I get that Team Rocket is all serious now, but... WTF has Team Rocket been doing before now? Succeeding valiantly? I don't think so.

YpPtH.png

...ew.

4LVk8.png

Aww.

Prwkz.png

Team Rocket stuff was interesting as always but I'm losing my patience. It would be one thing if I knew stuff was gonna be resolved soon, but Rocket vs. Plasma isn't gonna happen so now it seems all this stuff keeps building to nothing and in turn is becoming filler. That's Rocket filler for the Pokemon-of-the-week filler that's filling in for the gym battle non-fillers. Erk.

xA1pd.png

Pikachu actually... KO'd a Pokemon in one hit? This is actually being true to the games and previous anime canon?! But where did Scrafty get a revive from five minutes later? Why do Pokemon seem to auto-heal from fainting all the time in this anime?

DDTCj.png

Some nice animation this episode, on Scrafty's moves in particular. Still, a lot of the environment stuff was kind of lazy. Was nice to see Tepig and Scraggy again, let alone being cool. It's nice in general when we're reminded Ash has more than Pikachu and Oshawott. On that note, when was the last time Ash used Pidove? That thing must have starved to death in her Pokeball 10 eps ago.

zkEcp.png

2rq6a.png

i1Zka.png

sayY5.png

Z43vJ.png

"You're gonna go away for a long time Scrafty. You know what they do to Pokemon like you in the slammer?"

This entire sequence was easily the highlight of the episode.

5loW3.png

This scene is really too ridiculous for words. It's about here where I felt the episode was really starting to drag, thankfully this was almost the end.

pSTYR.png

"Uh weren't you just fired from Team Rocket because your last plan failed miserably?" Cold blooded, Iris.

Some more choice Iris quotes:

"I know Meowth can communicate with any Pokemon, so it just might work." Uh, duh. Any Pokemon can communicate with any other Pokemon. Iris you ditz.

"I'm empty handed!" "You're a Pokemon, course you are duh." Obviously Iris is oblivious to the concept of hold items.

tT4XX.png

Lol, I love how Ash is like "Wait, I could have done that this whole time?!" Iris is pretty much a jerk in this situation.

K4OE6.png

w33Xx.png

Og0Hf.png

Pretty sure Pikachu is the only one who actually retains all his memories from season to season.
Lol, not really. But still.
This reaction to Meowth at the end is pretty telling.

I did appreciate they tried to change things up a bit with not only having Meowth be found hurt and alone and join the team (which happened in Sinnoh before, actually), but that it also seems to be a multi-episode deal. Next ep should feel pretty fresh too.

dx2VT.png

3/5

Izayoi

Banned
Pokemon Season 1 Dub is on Lightning Deal in about three hours, if anyone is interested.

All of the seasons look like they're on sale. Will not by because it doesn't include the Japanese dub, but I figure someone is probably interested.

Wiseblade

The stretch where Meowth joins the team is the lowest point of Best Wishes so far. All those eps felt so repetive, and with Meowth dub voice it's only going to be worse...

Wiseblade

but aren't they already at elesa? (suddenly remembers how much random filler was in season one) oh shit

Season one isn't the problem, it's everything after where the show really drags. This far into DP, Ash only had 2 badges. Unless Gen V is only going to last two years, they can't keep this kind of progress up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Season one isn't the problem, it's everything after where the show really drags. This far into DP, Ash only had 2 badges. Unless Gen V is only going to last two years, they can't keep this kind of progress up.

I'm pretty sure that's the plan. That's also why they don't have Iris off to the side doing musicals like Dawn did Super Contests in the anime. Would waste too much time. Pretty sure GF clued them in to Gen 6 coming out relatively earlier than Gen 5 did.

Wiseblade

I'm pretty sure that's the plan. That's also why they don't have Iris off to the side doing musicals like Dawn did Super Contests in the anime. Would waste too much time. Pretty sure GF clued them in to Gen 6 coming out relatively earlier than Gen 5 did.

I actually think they'll just slow down for the last two badges (I imagine a lo of time will be spent in Opelucid city especially) and give Ash a lengthy training arc before the Unova League. Even still, this generation has to be shoter than IV, or the anime will run into original content again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I do miss Contests in the anime. They utilised a more impressive style of battle that Best Wishes hasn't touched yet.

Super Contests were great because it was essentially gym battles but for Dawn, and she had her own entire set of rivals and friends. Between her Super Contests, Ash's gym battles, and the Team Galactic stuff, I thought Sinnoh in general had pretty good pacing. It was never really that long a wait before a contest, or gym battle, or Paul battle, or Team Galactic arc. The filler was still there, but it wasn't as noticeable.

Wiseblade

Super Contests were great because it was essentially gym battles but for Dawn, and she had her own entire set of rivals and friends. Between her Super Contests, Ash's gym battles, and the Team Galactic stuff, I thought Sinnoh in general had pretty good pacing. It was never really that long a wait before a contest, or gym battle, or Paul battle, or Team Galactic arc. The filler was still there, but it wasn't as noticeable.

Really? I liked May's contest crew a lot more. Drew and Harley were way more entertaining than Zoey and Kenny.

I liked May's Contest more. Felt like ... an actual "style + substance" thing where as Dawn's was all style and no substance. May seemed like she could battle in or out of contest without relying on some BS tricks like Dawn.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What about Nando? Lol.

I liked May's Contest more. Felt like ... an actual "style + substance" thing where as Dawn's was all style and no substance. May seemed like she could battle in or out of contest without relying on some BS tricks like Dawn.

Pfft, Flame Ice was awesome and you know it.

What about Nando? Lol.

Pfft, Flame Ice was awesome and you know it.

That's the thing ... hasn't she shoe-horned ice into at least 3 or 4 combos? What's up with her and ice?

That plus "SPIIIIN!" AKA " I'm the only person in the Pokemon world that has figured out that if a light Pokemon jumps slightly out of the way of another Pokemon and spins in mid air they can HEX-DODGE!!! And you know I'm the only one to come up with it because EVERYONE is shocked when I pull it on them!".

Top Bottom