• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Wiseblade

Spr_5b_395.png
>
Spr_5b_257_m.png
>
Spr_5b_006.png
>
Spr_5b_497.png
>
Spr_5b_389.png
>
Spr_5b_260.png
>
Spr_5b_009.png
>
Spr_5b_392.png
>
Spr_5b_160.png
>
Spr_5b_503.png
>
Spr_5b_254.png
>
Spr_5b_157.png
>
Spr_5b_154_m.png
>
Spr_5b_003_m.png
>
Spr_5b_500.png

Ezalc

Electivirus said:
Duskull line >>>>>>>>>>>> Shittet.

This.

Wiseblade said:
*Bad taste*

Now don't get me wrong, I picked Piplup in Diamond. But that was like picking shit among other shit. Piplup was just the shiniest of the three starters in gen IV.

Gravijah

Ezalc said:
This.

Now don't get me wrong, I picked Piplup in Diamond. But that was like picking shit among other shit. Piplup was just the shiniest of the three starters in gen IV.

omg

dude

empoleon? TORTERRA?!

Ezalc

I liked Empoleon in the beginning, but the more progress I made through Diamond the less I liked him. Infernape was just some Blaziken clone to me at the time and Torterra is meh.

EDIT: I thought Prof. Beef was cool for having the name of the only cool guy in the Megaman anime. I was wrong.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gen 4 still has the best designed starters in the series. Something about their "flare" and their proportions is just really tight...

Gen 1 comes after with mostly well-designed starters, then Gens 2, 3, and 5 sort of float around with some good designs and some really weak ones.

Wiseblade

Professor Beef said:
I can't trust a starters list that has Meganium above Venusaur.
Venusaur is a horrible Pokémon. The first time I played Red I chose bulbasaur, but once it evolved into Venusaur and I saw that hideous backsprite I restarted, chose Squirtle and never looked back.

Ezalc

Wiseblade said:
Venusaur is a horrible Pokémon. The first time I played Red I chose bulbasaur, but once it evolved into Venusaur and I saw that hideous backsprite I restarted, chose Squirtle and never looked back.

Here's the thing though, nothing is worse than Meganium. It's just a fact. Even something as terrible as say Swampert, Meganium has that terrible something about it that makes it the worse starter. No matter what.

Anth0ny

Wiseblade said:

Spr_b_g1_003.png

aww come on it's cute

Wiseblade said:
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png

LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png

LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png

LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png
LxVkq.png

What are you even looking at? No one can tell. I guess the flower is tilted and pointing forward.

Anth0ny

The problem with RBY back sprites is they're based on the Red and Green sprites. And those are just fantastic.

I think the worst has to be Charmeleon:

Spr_b_g1_005.png

I still don't know what the fuck I'm looking at.

Gravijah

Box of Bunnies said:
Top 5

Spr_5b_008.png
>
Spr_5b_026_m.png
>
Spr_5b_157.png
>
Spr_5b_392.png
>
Spr_5b_003_m.png

Don't really care enough about the rest to try and order them. Doesn't matter, they're all second class.

raichu is not a starter. pikachu is, but not raichu.

Billychu said:
Am I the only person who has no issues playing the original games? You guys are wusses.

Eh, the remakes blow the first two sets of games out of the water in every possible way. Tried playing Red a while back, and...no, I just couldn't. So gross.

Billychu said:
Am I the only person who has no issues playing the original games? You guys are wusses.

I actually really like the original look. There's some derpy shit in there, but it generally conveys the "monster" part of Pokemon better.

Emitan

Electivirus said:
Eh, the remakes blow the first two sets of games out of the water in every possible way. Tried playing Red a while back, and...no, I just couldn't. So gross.
I can still play Silver no problem. Probably Blue version, too considering I replayed it a few years ago with no problems.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If they ever remake Red/Blue/Green again, it would be amazing if they offered a 'retro skin' for the game, to make the battle sprites appear as they did the originals.

The reason I can't replay the older games is the speed. It's too slow, even if you can get past the broken / wonky / terrible mechanics.

Anth0ny

Electivirus said:

You can't plug the remakes into a transfer pak and play them at Dodrio speeds.

originals>remakes by default

Gravijah

rby don't ever need to be remade ever again. if you revisit kanto, it needs to be a sequel. which i would really enjoy.

Firestorm

There is a distinct charm about the design of the Pokemon in Red / Blue. I think someone did a graphic with all the new Pokemon in the same style as well?

Anth0ny

Professor Beef said:
I always liked Charizard's back sprite because he looked like some sort of undead creature.

EDIT: WTF @ that Wigglytuff and Hitmonlee?
KuGsj.gif

He looks like the spawn of satan.

Spr_b_g1_006.png

Makes up for Charmeleon. Best back sprite ever.

Top Bottom