• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

Ri'Orius

Alright, I've beaten the main story and one of the extra missions (the guy with a Lapras), and I'm wondering if I should keep going. The game's been feeling very repetitive. Are all the extra missions just more of the same?

Plus, the game seems way easy. I hear you guys are evolving people and getting to 100%, and I'm just like... why?

Alright, I've beaten the main story and one of the extra missions (the guy with a Lapras), and I'm wondering if I should keep going. The game's been feeling very repetitive. Are all the extra missions just more of the same?

Plus, the game seems way easy. I hear you guys are evolving people and getting to 100%, and I'm just like... why?

Keep going. It'll pay off once the game "clicks" for you and you start making brilliant strategies that would make Oda Nobunaga himself proud. I'm about 20 Pokémon and 3 Warlord evolutions away from 100% completion, but that's mostly due to my PCD (Pokémon Collector's Disorder) and my desire to see the priceless Pokémon emotion portraits that accompany the evolved Warlords (which themselves are worth playing to see).

Bottom line; don't give up. Keep pushing through, and you'll be proud of yourself.

Blizzard

Banned

Some (one?) of the postgame missions are not only supposed to be more difficult than the main story, but also have different objectives (encountering a certain # of pokemon or something like that).

If you don't like the mechanics and aren't enjoying it, don't play it though -- no need to force yourself.

Hopefully the sequel includes multiple attacks. Only having 1 attack is annoying, especially if you end up having mostly ghosts in your team up against normals.

MarkusRJR

I've never really got into SRPGs because they're usually really difficult and confusing, would this game be a good game to get into the genre?

I've never really got into SRPGs because they're usually really difficult and confusing, would this game be a good game to get into the genre?

The main story is very straightforward and easy to learn.
However, the postgame will probably not interest you at all.

I present to you, this gem-

shining-force-(u)-%5B!%5D.jpg

There are many ways to have access to it. It's a beginner's SRPG and is what made me like the genre and get better at it.

upandaway

Hopefully the sequel includes multiple attacks. Only having 1 attack is annoying, especially if you end up having mostly ghosts in your team up against normals.
If the game only took a few more cues from the mainline games it could seriously be something incredible. Like multiple attacks, better items (can only move in one direction per turn like a rook, but has increased attack), some light walkable overworld of the cities, and decent aftergame challenges (the infinite type) to encourage stat building, would go such a long way.

Would basically make a strategy version of the mainline games, but still.

It's extremely simple and has none of those ridiculous amounts of confusing numbers like some other SRPGs I played (Disgaea and the like). If difficulty and ease of use are your deal breakers, you're good with this game.

Roto13

It's really easy to learn, especially if you've played a regular Pokemon game before. It's not always easy, but it's always easy to understand.

Woo, I finally bought this game! I haven't started playing yet though... are there any tips I should be aware of before going in? Are there any missable Pokemon? Should I wait to touch the DLC stuff until after I've beat the main story?

backlot

Woo, I finally bought this game! I haven't started playing yet though... are there any tips I should be aware of before going in? Are there any missable Pokemon? Should I wait to touch the DLC stuff until after I've beat the main story?
Just download the DLC now. You can't even play most of it until after the main story but there's no reason not to grab it now. No missable Pokemon as far as I'm aware.

upandaway

Man, I'm only on my first post-main story and I got like 200 gazillion famous warriors I can get to Rank II (about 20 hours logged in now). Like, a third of all of them. I'm half tempted to just grind the pongiri out of all of them right now.

Also, I didn't really get it from Serebii... do I only need to upgrade the warlords (by reaching 60% or whatever) to get them completed in the Gallery? Or do I need 100%?
The difference would mean whether I'm gonna do it or not.

Netto-kun

Totally forgot that the game is out today. Good thing I still managed to order a copy from Amazon UK for £19.18. Now to wait for the game while I am playing Kingdom Hearts 3D.

faridmon

Damn, Its out in UK and I am wondering if I should buy this or Inazumi 11. Being a Student is tricky when it comes to Videogame purchases...

Just picked this and Pokemon White up, trying to decide which to play first. The only other Pokemon game that I've ever played is Pearl, five years ago, and I've got an itch to jump back in. I'm kind of in the mood for an SRPG, but I wonder if I should start with White to get myself up to speed with what's been going on in the main series first? Any suggestions?

Forkball

Just picked this and Pokemon White up, trying to decide which to play first. The only other Pokemon game that I've ever played is Pearl, five years ago, and I've got an itch to jump back in. I'm kind of in the mood for an SRPG, but I wonder if I should start with White to get myself up to speed with what's been going on in the main series first? Any suggestions?

This game has no story connection to the mainline series, it is not canon/in its own universe.

upandaway

You're thinking the other way around. If you want to get "up to speed" in regards to mechanics, new Pokemon (and their strengths/weaknesses), etc, Conquest is basically a simpler more focused version of the mainline battle system. It'll be easier to go from Conquest to White.

Just be careful because Conquest changes some stuff like the resistances, but it's not a big deal.

(just to be clear, both games are extremely beginner friendly, so it's sort of not worth wondering about)

upandaway

New events can be downloaded now. New episode and stuff.

Also, I didn't see anyone post about this, so my bad if so, but I kinda got a hold of something. I did all of the below with the same team so it's pretty precise.

The amount of link gained from mining (with all 6 at the same time), at level 2:
0.12%
0.15%
0.11%
0.14%
0.15%
0.14%
The amount of link gained from a random battle (again all at the same time) at level 2:
0.75%
0.14%
0.32%
0.20%
0.12%
0.09%

The former took 1 second and the latter took a couple of minutes. Investing gives pretty much the same results as gold.

Conclusion: Mine to grind. I'm done with trying to raise that piece of Muk, Pineco, it's all about mining now. Just mine with an empty kingdom while you wait for Nobunaga to invade you, it's the recipe to victory. Beating him gives like 2-3% to every warrior.

I'm gonna have so much money.

Busaiku

Is there an easy way to search for Perfect Links in-game?
I'm wasting an hour per month just going into a kingdom, searching for which Pokemon are there, looking online for who perfect links with that Pokemon, then searching for that warrior through the gallery, only to find out I don't have that character, and repeating that process over and over.

I hate this game.

Roto13

Is there an easy way to search for Perfect Links in-game?
I'm wasting an hour per month just going into a kingdom, searching for which Pokemon are there, looking online for who perfect links with that Pokemon, then searching for that warrior through the gallery, only to find out I don't have that character, and repeating that process over and over.

I hate this game.

You could try not being anal about searching for perfect links.

Can someone please help me out? Literally the last thing I need to do to 100% this game is to get Masanori up to Level 2, but he's not appearing in any mission. I loitered in the final Hero mission (Two Heroes of Ransei) for 10 in-game years and found the other two kids, but Masanori simply refused to appear. Does anyone have any advice?

This game has no story connection to the mainline series, it is not canon/in its own universe.
Ty! Yeah, figured it didn't but from the cover of Conquest, it looks like Nobunaga uses the Legendary from White so I thought maybe the Generation 5 Pokemon play a big role in Conquest? Who am I kidding though, story in a Pokemon game doesn't matter. :p (Though actually, I decided to buy White because Team Plasma seemed interesting. But I digress)

You're thinking the other way around. If you want to get "up to speed" in regards to mechanics, new Pokemon (and their strengths/weaknesses), etc, Conquest is basically a simpler more focused version of the mainline battle system. It'll be easier to go from Conquest to White.

Just be careful because Conquest changes some stuff like the resistances, but it's not a big deal.

(just to be clear, both games are extremely beginner friendly, so it's sort of not worth wondering about)
Haha, yeah I'm sure I'm just over-thinking it. Started up a file in Conquest today, thanks for the info!

Blizzard

Banned
Can someone please help me out? Literally the last thing I need to do to 100% this game is to get Masanori up to Level 2, but he's not appearing in any mission. I loitered in the final Hero mission (Two Heroes of Ransei) for 10 in-game years and found the other two kids, but Masanori simply refused to appear. Does anyone have any advice?
Was he one of the event warriors? I hope that he isn't the one people were suggesting might require you to have not finished the first (main) story before activating the event code.

Was he one of the event warriors? I hope that he isn't the one people were suggesting might require you to have not finished the first (main) story before activating the event code.

Nope, he's the punk kid who (along with the other two kids, Kiyomasa and Mitsunari) has his own episode and is recruitable during certain missions. During Masamune's mission, Motochika's army had him in it, but he left before I could recruit him. Is there something I'm missing, or do I just have to grind him up to Stage 2 during his own mission?

upandaway

I can officially confirm that I've gone 20 hours straight in Pokemon Conquest without progressing an inch in the game, i.e. conquering a castle. And I'm still at the first side story. I'll probably go another 10 without finishing this side story.

And really, out of the holy trinity of Pokemon (collecting, training, battling), Conquest completely ditches the last one, which also knocks down the second one a bit. It's crazy how far the core gameplay of Pokemon can go in a game even without fully optimizing it.

Can't imagine how much I would be into this game if it didn't reset every story, and had proper infinite Battle Facilities. Completing the gallery would only be the beginning.

Blizzard

Banned
I can officially confirm that I've gone 20 hours straight in Pokemon Conquest without progressing an inch in the game, i.e. conquering a castle. And I'm still at the first side story. I'll probably go another 10 without finishing this side story.

And really, out of the holy trinity of Pokemon (collecting, training, battling), Conquest completely ditches the last one, which also knocks down the second one a bit. It's crazy how far the core gameplay of Pokemon can go in a game even without fully optimizing it.

Can't imagine how much I would be into this game if it didn't reset every story, and had proper infinite Battle Facilities. Completing the gallery would only be the beginning.
At least there's still a slight bit of strategy, with which direction you attack from, and what pokemon you bring.

I gather you are enjoying the game, or at least not hating it enough that you've played a long time? :p

upandaway

At least there's still a slight bit of strategy, with which direction you attack from, and what pokemon you bring.

I gather you are enjoying the game, or at least not hating it enough that you've played a long time? :p
It's pretty great.

I found that really the single most effective strategy in the game is to put terrain above everything else. Because every Pokemon has only one attack, you can easily lock it into an area where it can't attack, or it can only attack in ways that are negligible.

I'm basically treating it as if I've conquered all castles, like I would at a normal endgame, and so far it's holding up. If they made it a normal game with a normal ending I'm guaranteed at least 20-30 hours without any new content, so that proves it could be a great format for a sequel.

Do they have any of the other Nobunaga's Ambition games localized? Really fun stuff.

Qurupeke

This game is awesome. I'm now at the Steel guy's sidestory, about 25-30 hours.

I tried doing the Ranmaru Wi-Fi episode, but every time I conquered one kingdom, they conquered two of my kingdoms. :( At the end, I was trapped and I abandoned the story. Now, I have Ranmaru on my current story, so I'll try to evolve his Dragonair and his Riolu. It's a bit disappointing that the Link level resets on every new story, but at least not the Pokemon.

Also, wasn't the Reshiram & Hideyoshi event supposed to be released at the end of July? :(

This might sound like a stupid question, but does Pokemon Conquest use the R button a lot? I swear, the DSi has the worst L/R buttons ever and my right one barely works, so I'm just wondering if the game uses that button. I have a 3DS too so it's no biggie, but I actually think DS games look better on DSi than on 3DS. But yeah, that's all I'm wondering.

upandaway

This might sound like a stupid question, but does Pokemon Conquest use the R button a lot? I swear, the DSi has the worst L/R buttons ever and my right one barely works, so I'm just wondering if the game uses that button. I have a 3DS too so it's no biggie, but I actually think DS games look better on DSi than on 3DS. But yeah, that's all I'm wondering.
My L button only really works when I press it really hard and with my finger fully covering it. Dunno what's up with those silly shoulder buttons, they're sort of bad.

The game uses them for some quick navigation, but every L/R action has a touch screen or the d-pad alternative.

Top Bottom