• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

Roto13

I want to evolve my Eevee into an Espeon. I know I need to battle with it in Illusio but I'm wondering if there's a certain amount of fights or a number of enemies it needs to beat or a link level it should be at before I even bother?

You need to be link level 70 to evolve that way. Stones can be used at any level, I think.

I'm getting my butt handed to me in
the 100 pokemon mission

I guess I just need to grind past the curve to win out and turn the tide of momentum

Enjoying it so far, kinda weak how recommends some types of Pokemon there are barely any of like ghost. Seems like most of my wins are just raw power so far 7 hrs in

backlot

You need to be link level 70 to evolve that way. Stones can be used at any level, I think.

I think it actually took me a couple battles with a dusk stone equipped to evolve my Lampent. I don't know if its link based or stat based. I know Sneasel needed a certain speed stat as well as a razor claw to evolve.

lingiii

Banned
Enjoying it so far, kinda weak how recommends some types of Pokemon there are barely any of like ghost. Seems like most of my wins are just raw power so far 7 hrs in

Yeah the way they mete out types is pretty well-done in terms of never leaving you boned, but it is kinda silly. Figure the recommendations are to teach/remind you of the type chart or something?

Beat my 100-'mans mission last night on accident. Kind of frustrating cuz I had a handful of 'mans just shy of evolving; would've liked to get them up before finishing.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
When you delegate someone to train, if you've already used all the people in that specific castle's turn, do they still get whatever bonuses training brings, or is that only for people who havent used their turns?
No, the requirements for the train delegation are that they have not been used that turn and that there is wild Pokemon in the kingdom as you end the turn.

Huzzah! I finally beat Motonari's postgame mission! It involved a lot of resetting until a Warrior that I had previously linked to a Darmanitan appeared...

For those of you who are having trouble with the game, always remember that you have 2 tricks at your disposal: the Guardian Charm, which can break the game if used right, and the passwords which you can use to summon powerful 'mons at a moment's notice.

Huzzah! I finally beat Motonari's postgame mission! It involved a lot of resetting until a Warrior that I had previously linked to a Darmanitan appeared...

For those of you who are having trouble with the game, always remember that you have 2 tricks at your disposal: the Guardian Charm, which can break the game if used right, and the passwords which you can use to summon powerful 'mons at a moment's notice.

How do we get the Guardian Charm? Is it just something you buy at the shop?

balddemon

Banned
fyi if you set all your kingdoms to make gold...it falls into your lap. i've have them set to find gold and energy and i'm up to 40k after like 8-12 months lol

lingiii

Banned
fyi if you set all your kingdoms to make gold...it falls into your lap. i've have them set to find gold and energy and i'm up to 40k after like 8-12 months lol

Also in the post-game once you have banks everywhere, I've gotten $10,000+ in a single mine mission; just put six people on upgrade duty at $2,000 each time and then you'll be stacked.

Looks really fun. I love Advance Wars and Shadow Wars, so I think I'll have a great time with it. It's not only coming out in UK, by the way, but the entire Europe.

What does DSi-enhanced mean, by the way? I have a Nintendo DSi, but how is it better to play on that system? Better FPS and perhaps more clear graphics? Shorter loading screens? Anyone know?

It means there's probably some extra content for DSi. What that is, I dunno.

Cheska

Just conquered Chrysalia and dare I say it but I think I may be enjoying this game more than one of he main entries. I dunno, I think it's just that this new spin to Pokemon makes it more interesting and I'm loving the interactions between the characters.

I do however have a question: how do you use the Pokemon you've linked up with? For example, my main character linked up with two Axews but I can't find the option to select them for battles.

Soloist

Neo Member
Just conquered Chrysalia and dare I say it but I think I may be enjoying this game more than one of he main entries. I dunno, I think it's just that this new spin to Pokemon makes it more interesting and I'm loving the interactions between the characters.

I do however have a question: how do you use the Pokemon you've linked up with? For example, my main character linked up with two Axews but I can't find the option to select them for battles.

Go in the info tab outside of battle(the option in every castle you conquered) and select the pokemon you want that warlord/warrior to use.

You know in those info screens, where if you press R it'll show you the Pokemon stats and if you press L it'll show you the warrior stats? In the middle one it shows just the warrior and whatever Pokemon they have. Push the D-pad to the right and then select the one you want and the press A. The stylus would probably work too.

backlot

After I defeat nobunaga, does the game end or can I train some pokemon and get each warrior their good pokes?

The game ends at that point but it will log your Pokemon and warriors in the gallery. If you recruit a warrior again in one of the post game missions they'll have the same Pokemon but the link percentages will be reset. If you think you're close to evolving someone's Pokemon you should probably do that before beating Nobunaga.

lingiii

Banned
If you watch the End Turn you'll see that the Warriors fade to Grey as they improve/are used and so do the wild Pokemon on the map.

This. I've been wondering if the link from train delegation is different depending on the level of the places with 'mans? Like if I have a kingdom with 2 level 3 fields, is it better to train there than a kingdom of 1 level 1 field?

Blizzard

Banned
I had my first defeat last night. I sent a tepig and bug thing against a tepig and a bat, so of course I ended up with tepig versus tepig and couldn't kill it fast enough to avoid defeat when the timer ran out. :( I quit to the title screen instead of saving, out of shame of losing to a wild pokemon battle.

Nobunaga and his ambition have showed up, however, so I anticipate that I may become able to delegate training and capture pokemon pretty soon!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally found a copy. Put 6 hours into it from yesterday to today. Enjoying it a bunch, even if the main story quest is really, really easy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Did Nintendo make like 20 copies? It's 50 bucks on Amazon, what gives?

I had a pretty tough time finding it a couple weeks after launch, until the second shipment was in I guess. Seems like it didn't have huge numbers shipped out and people ate it up.

Blizzard

Banned
Did Nintendo make like 20 copies? It's 50 bucks on Amazon, what gives?
I think they sent very few to GameStop for instance, and/or GameStop ordered very few. It's weird. I wonder if Nintendo themselves expected it to fail.

You can still order it for $30 from Amazon directly, if you use the sidebar on the right side of the store. You'll just have to wait for it to come back in stop for it to ship.

It would be SUPER crazy if they never printed any more and each new copy of this game became worth $9000, but surely that won't happen. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, I couldn't find this anywhere...

One GameStop had it...but it was closed due to the power outage from this weekend's storm.

Blizzard

Banned
Judging from the thread, I seem to recall Target stores having it early on. That could have totally changed now though, so if you want to find it anywhere in person you definitely need to call ahead.

XeroSauce

Are all of you in America, without copies?

I asked my local Gamestop/EB Games and Best Buy, and they have plenty of copies in Canada.

Are all of you in America, without copies?

I asked my local Gamestop/EB Games and Best Buy, and they have plenty of copies in Canada.

I live in Toronto and still had to go to three stores before I found one that was in stock. This game seems to be selling like hotcakes, and Nintendo's apparent lack of supply isn't helping.

Okay, I've played about 3 hours and I enjoyed it so much, but something's stopping me.
Sorry, this is going to be long.

It's weird, this game is awesomely complex but they didn't provide enough tools for me to indulge it.
In other words, they put importance in Generals' specs and Pokemon specs,
but there's no easy way to keep track of them...
There is not enough information! No in-game guide!

I wonder why Koei did this, it's based right off of its 三國志 1-11(Three Kingdoms) series,
which I absolutely loved, but this feels like the super-broken version of it
(I wish I played the Nobunaga's Ambition series for better comparison).

My question is: if it is geared just toward children, shouldn't the game be less complicated?
Shouldn't they include a help menu?
If it's for mature gamers, couldn't they put more care into the menus, so the players have easier/ better ways to access information?
For example, to move the generals around, they should just use the touch screen in drag-and-drop fashion. This would also help making delegations easier.

As I see it now, it's full of shortcomings.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, I've played about 3 hours and I enjoyed it so much, but something's stopping me.
Sorry, this is going to be long.

It's weird, this game is awesomely complex but they didn't provide enough tools for me to indulge it.
In other words, they put importance in Generals' specs and Pokemon specs,
but there's no easy way to keep track of them...
There is not enough information! No in-game guide!

I wonder why Koei did this, it's based right off of its 三國志 1-11(Three Kingdoms) series,
which I absolutely loved, but this feels like the super-broken version of it
(I wish I played the Nobunaga's Ambition series for better comparison).

My question is: if it is geared just toward children, shouldn't the game be less complicated?
Shouldn't they include a help menu?
If it's for mature gamers, couldn't they put more care into the menus, so the players have easier/ better ways to access information?
For example, to move the generals around, they should just use the touch screen in drag-and-drop fashion. This would also help making delegations easier.

As I see it now, it's full of shortcomings.
There is a list option...I think it's either when you are in the world map, or when you are in a kingdom. That should let you search (and sort?) by various categories, locations, and so forth.

There is also the gallery, and possibly some info you can get to from the main menu (start button). And the Y button gives extra help in some places, like describing what moves do.

You probably know about all of that already, and yes some things could probably be more efficient, but overall I think they do a pretty good job of explaining things. Even the manual takes a decent amount of pages explaining stuff.

I mean, I even died to wild pokemon early in the game, and I can't delegate yet so I don't have the full complexity you do. But, it seems like they teach you things pretty well and it does not seem overwhelming to me. Overall, if they made a sequel that fixed a few things, it could be awesome instead of just good. Exactly how they would fix them would take some thought of course.

Just discovered this useful tip... If a pokemon is close to evolving, look at its energy. If it's not at max, you can send it to a pongiri shop to bump up the energy a little, which should push that stat over the edge. The pokemon will evolve right after eating it if it worked.

Bladenic

The other reviews have already covered the general idea behind this game, so I won't recap them here again. Suffice it to say that I enjoy the Tactics style of strategy RPGs, and I enjoy Pokemon, so this game was the best of both worlds for me, right up until I beat the main story.

I feel compelled to give others the warning I did not get. Once you beat the main story line, the after-game is a great many "Episodes" that can be pretty short to almost as long as the original game itself. Taken together, they make up more playtime than the main game does. Sounds great, doesn't it? There is one problem, each episode is an entirely self contained side-game. You do not get to use the team you spent the entire main game building up. You use whatever character the game says you use for that episode, and all of their link percentages are reset to whatever level the episode says it should be at. There is no New Game +, and there is no way to get back to the main "all of the castles" map once you finish the main story. It effectively takes all of the work you put into it and throws it away.

Someone would be quick to point out though that when you recruit someone in an episode, they automatically get whatever pokemon (and its evolutionary state) that they had in the main game. On the surface, this sounds like "Oh, well at least all the effort I put into the main game wasn't entirely wasted, I do at least get the pokemon back". I would like to warn you that it is more of a handicap than a help. If you are like me, you recruited every warrior you could find at the start of the game, but stopped after you got a whole team full of warlords with perfect link pokemon. This means you had/have a bunch of generic warriors with whatever weak pokemon you had at the start of the game sitting in castles filling space to make you gold by the end of the game. Why is this a problem? Many of the episodes let you fight warriors with powerful pokemon you didn't have access to in the main game. When you recruit them, the game will automatically overwrite whatever powerful pokemon they have now with whatever weak one they had in the main game. Having trouble progressing, and you see someone with a munchlax, or a deino, or a bedlam with strong attacks and lots of hitpoints that you want to recruit? Not so fast, you recruited him already in the main game, and he had a whooper there. Congratulations, your new recruit now has a whooper too instead of the good pokemon you wanted, and there is absolutely no way to prevent it from overwriting him. You also cannot access your main game anymore to try and stock them up with more useable pokemon to use in the episodes. You are forever locked with whatever junk you left them rotting in the castle with.

The game really is fun. And I am sure there will be people that love the after-game episodes, but I am not one of them. I feel like I put time and effort into building my team and their link percentages only to have it basically erased without my consent. The carrot for those episodes is to recruit new warlords and get legendaries for the ones you had, like Mewtwo and Groudon. The only problem is that once you get those legendaries, the episode ends, and you don't get to use them again. What is the point of having all of these legendaries and warlord transformations when the chances are you will never actually get to use any of them?

Quoted from an Amazon user review. Is this true? Because it sounds absolutely atrocious if true.

Quoted from an Amazon user review. Is this true? Because it sounds absolutely atrocious if true.

It's true, but it's honestly not so bad. Most of the gaiden missions are fun, and they offer a refreshing challenge after the almost braindead-easy main story. As long as you don't neglect your Warlords and take some time evolving their Pokémon in the main story, you'll do fine.

By the way, you get to return to the main story with access to every Warlord once every side mission is complete, so there's some incentive for finishing them all.

balddemon

Banned
It's true, but it's honestly not so bad. Most of the gaiden missions are fun, and they offer a refreshing challenge after the almost braindead-easy main story. As long as you don't neglect your Warlords and take some time evolving their Pokémon in the main story, you'll do fine.

By the way, you get to return to the main story with access to every Warlord once every side mission is complete, so there's some incentive for finishing them all.
Is it like the main story all over again, just harder fights?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Outrage with Haxorus and a bunch of tanks made the Dragnor battle hilariously easy.

No regrets about choosing Umbreon over his more powerful evolutions. I Assurance is handy, and he makes a great tank with dodge.

balddemon

Banned
Outrage with Haxorus and a bunch of tanks made the Dragnor battle hilariously easy.

No regrets about choosing Umbreon over his more powerful evolutions. I Assurance is handy, and he makes a great tank with dodge.

i was gonna pick umbreon but i needed a good fire pokemon for the steel and ice gyms so i picked flareon. fucking beast, i do like 200 dmg to most pokemon lol
and when i take more than 1 fire pokemon, such as charizard, i can flamethrower the enemy and flareon for hte flash fire boost.

Blizzard

Banned
One thing is not strictly true if I understand correctly from an earlier poster. If you have a warrior with a weak pokemon in the postgame, you can recruit a new pokemon for them in the postgame story, and all subsequent postgame stories will have the new pokemon associated with that warrior instead. So you are not forever stuck with whatever pokemon you put in the main game, you just don't get that pokemon the warrior was using when you fought them in the postgame.

I think the main two things to take away from it are this:

1. DO NOT grind every warrior in the main story to 100% link just because you are OCD, since all links are reset when each story ends.

2. DO try to evolve pokemon in the main story so each warrior has something relatively decent before you finish it. You get to keep the evolutions if you come across those warriors later in the game.

Is it like the main story all over again, just harder fights?
And different goals (like collect/see X number of different pokemon), and different perspective (playing as other warlords). And they are harder stories, if reports of people dying endlessly earlier in the thread are true.

Three questions of my own:

1. Does anyone know if it ever becomes completely impossible to acquire a certain pokemon if you associate a warrior with a bad pokemon in the main game? For example, if a warrior has a munchlax in the main game, and I replace it with a magikarp, and then in a postgame story the warrior has a (insert awesome pokemon here)...are there any cases where recruiting the warrior in the postgame is the ONLY way to get that awesome pokemon? Which would mean that associating a pokemon with them in the main game would lock that possibility out since you're overwriting the awesome pokemon and won't get to battle with it?

2. What does energy do exactly? Is it just boosted HP, or are there other effects? If you have boosted energy, will you start a battle with say, 100/110 HP? Someone mentioned pokemon starting with less than full HP in a battle.

3. What does warrior specialization mean? Does it just mean a warrior does better with those type(s), or that the warrior can ONLY link with pokemon of those types, or is it just a hint about the perfect link for that warrior, etc.?

balddemon

Banned
And different goals (like collect/see X number of different pokemon), and different perspective (playing as other warlords). And they are harder stories, if reports of people dying endlessly earlier in the thread are true.

3. What does warrior specialization mean? Does it just mean a warrior does better with those type(s), or that the warrior can ONLY link with pokemon of those types, or is it just a hint about the perfect link for that warrior, etc.?

i meant after the post game quests, do you replay the main game? kind of like new game+

the answer is yes, no, yes. like i don't think you'd want to link a ghost/fire with a dark pokemon. im not even sure if the game would let you.

Uhhh. So I have Yoshihiro, the fighting guy, and his Conkeldurr isn't evolving no matter what I do. I have two other Conkeldurrs that I made evolve. I got the bug guy to evolve his Pineco. So what's wrong with this guy? Also I think I satisfied the conditions for his own evolution, so why isn't he evolving either?

i meant after the post game quests, do you replay the main game? kind of like new game+

Actually I'd like to know this too. Is it the main story all over again like NG+, or a continued story on the main game right where you left off?

upandaway

Finally got it today. Shipment ran late as hell because of a certain other item I got with it :( (I freaking preordered it, look at the date!)

Am I good with the passwords in the OP or is there another site with all of them?

Aselith

How do you change Pokemon? I have a bunch of dudes with multiple pokemans but I don't see an option to switch.

I checked the manual and also didn't see anything in there.

Top Bottom