• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are people buying with gym coins?

Egg incubators seem like the fun answer as it seems eggs get you the best Pokemon?

A bag or Pokemon upgrade would be nice? Although I feel like I can do without both of these if I manage myself carefully?

I haven't tried using incense yet even though im level 20 so maybe those are the way to best get high level Pokemon?

I was going to go for lucky eggs but looking at the exp requirements power levelling seems like a lot less fun than just catching a higher variety of Pokemon?

GulAtiCa

So what are people buying with gym coins?

Egg incubators seem like the fun answer as it seems eggs get you the best Pokemon?

A bag or Pokemon upgrade would be nice? Although I feel like I can do without both of these if I manage myself carefully?

I haven't tried using incense yet even though im level 20 so maybe those are the way to best get high level Pokemon?

I was going to go for lucky eggs but looking at the exp requirements power levelling seems like a lot less fun than just catching a higher variety of Pokemon?

My current plan is to buy Egg incubators. I usually take 2 or 3 gyms a day, so every week I can buy new one currently.

Chaos17

How can you end up in a tree, seriously...

Morning Express Compte certifié ‏@MorningExp 12 minil y a 12 minutes

#SoThisHappened: #PokemonGo player rescued by firefighters after getting stuck in a tree trying to "catch 'em all!"
https://twitter.com/MorningExp/status/756134384944738304

except the part where it was down for all locations yesterday for about 2-3 hours >_>

That's the peak I'm talking about XD
Always around the same time it seems.

Pachimari

I also think my casual friends are soon giving up on the game. It's not fun for them when they catch a Pokémon and it gives them an error, or when the screen hangs.

I haven't had any issues for these 3 days though.

The servers have been running quite decently those 2 past days, just there is a peak that they can't handle yet.
Yesterday they were down from the time I woke up at noon until 8pm.

except the part where it was down for all locations yesterday for about 2-3 hours >_>
2-3 hours of downtime would be incredible.

Haven't seen a day since launch where the downtime has been that short though.

That's the peak I'm talking about XD
Always around the same time it seems.

oops! totally missed that the first time. yeah it usually is the same time of the day that it goes down for a long time, like between 3:00 - 6:00 PM CDT in the US (at least from what i've seen)

spekkeh

Banned
Yesterday they were down from the time I woke up at noon until 8pm.

2-3 hours of downtime would be incredible.

Haven't seen a day since launch where the downtime has been that short though.
It helps to kill the app and restart it, in my experience. If you just put it in the background and keep going back to it from time to time, it will stay in its connecting loop. Especially if you went through a bit of spotty wifi connection. Lately whenever I'm about, I immediately kill wifi before playing the game.

The servers are still down some time, but much, much less.

Pejo

A level 1 poliwrath with an IV spread of 37% to 77% perfect :p

I only consider pokemon with 80% perfect or higher IVs to be special :3

Can you please explain IVs? I'm not sure what you mean.

Also, what does the green glow behind some of the pokemon in your inventory mean?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
my two 10km eggs were an aerodactyl and a kabuto, are those considered rare? on the image circulating where all pokemon are listed based on rarity, they are listed as "special," but i have no idea what that is supposed to mean. the starters are also "special," but they're not rare at all.

of course it must depend on your location as well, as i have never seen some of the more common pokemon.

Anyone can explain in a few words what's IV and why should I keep up with that info?
IVs are hidden stats that are used to work out both your pokemon's health and when you do an attack it's attack stat and the victim's defence stat are involved in working out how much actual damage gets delivered (along with a few other things like the move's values, typing, etc)

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over IVs right now as typing and movesets seem a bit more important with how the game currently works and the levels people are at but later on those small differences might start to add up.

edit: TLDR version: a pokemon with good IVs has a bigger CP than a pokemon of the same type at the same level with bad IVs.

GulAtiCa

Yeah it doesn't do height data? Sounds like a made up story to get more clicks, since apparently a PGo story gets you more clicks than anything else right now.

My only guess is that the person playing was not so smart and thought height maybe played a role or that more likely the tree branch maybe extended out into an area where they couldn't get to (like over a fence). So they used that as a way to extend their reach. Either way, if true, what an idiot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
my two 10km eggs were an aerodactyl and a kabuto, are those considered rare? on the image circulating where all pokemon are listed based on rarity, they are listed as "special," but i have no idea what that is supposed to mean. the starters are also "special," but they're not rare at all.

of course it must depend on your location as well, as i have never seen some of the more common pokemon.
They are considered rare by me.

Can you please explain IVs? I'm not sure what you mean.

Also, what does the green glow behind some of the pokemon in your inventory mean?
Ok, I guess I'll expand on what I mentioned in the last post:
Basically a pokemon has two sets of stats that determine how it works. Base stats and IVs.
Base stats are determined by the pokemon species and are uniform for all members of that species (so basically all pidgies have the same base stats as each other.)
IVs (individual values) however are unique to the individual pokemon and are used in addition to the base stats to calculate the pokemon's final stats (so two scythers will have the same base stats but different IVs so their final stats will be different)

What IVs a pokemon has are randomly picked when it is generated (aka caught or hatched) but it's worth noting that hatched pokemon seem to have a higher trend for IVs (aka pokemon from eggs almost always have good IVs) while ones caught in the wild are genuinely random and can be anywhere from awful to perfect. Once set, IVs do not change, so things like evolving don't alter them.

As for the green glow, I'm not sure exactly what you mean but hazarding a guess it's possibly an indicator of pokemon you recently caught/hatched.

Crescende

Banned
i went from not knowing the word "rural" to "when i read that word once more i will smash my cellphone against a wall!" Go to Forums: RURALRURALRURAL! Go to reddit: RURALRURALRURAL! Facebook? RURALRURALRURAL!
I can hear it when i sleep.... HELP ME!!

Firemind

I had pokemon in 3 gyms for three days. Just lucky with finding three unpopular gyms. Then I take over 1 or 2 more for a few minutes and hit the loot button. Then I don't care if it's taken back.

If you're walking or whatever, you'd wanta group of three since a new gym can instantly load up three pokemon.
Driving is key. Also the right time, like 4-5 am when folks are sleeping and targeting the gyms with less traffic. On foot, during the day you are lucky to hold a gym for a few minutes sometimes
Gym trainership isn't for the working class it seems.

wait you can only get the defender rewards every 21 hours regardless when you take over gyms? how the hell can you defend several gyms while walking to the next gym? lmao seems like you need a car to actually amass coins and then you still need to get lucky nobody trolls you.

Yeah, it's stupid. Rewards should be proportional to the length of time your Pokemon spent in gyms since you last collected a reward, regardless of whether they're still there or not. As it stands, there's no reason to spend time/potions capturing a gym in a highly-contested area if you need to wait a long time before you can next collect rewards. And the best strategy is to drive to take several gyms right before collecting, which as you say, encourages driving, undermining the purpose of the game.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
*sigh* without the prints working, I just can't get up the motivation to keep playing. It's become just a repeat of going to pokestops and egg incubation. I want to hunt pokemon again! So I'm gonna sit out until that's fixed.

Chaos17

Why #idiots? It's about time it gets released, honestly

Because all the launchs so far have been not announced in advance even Japan can't get a date. Why the heck France will have a date with a specicific hour then ? That's just stupid to have beleived that. Anyone who had been following the news or social medias would've understood that.

That's why I said "idiots".

Japan is gonna maybe also be trolled for a third time but with Mac Donald baking up the soon release, it might become real tomorow.

CrazE

Banned
*sigh* without the prints working, I just can't get up the motivation to keep playing. It's become just a repeat of going to pokestops and egg incubation. I want to hunt pokemon again! So I'm gonna sit out until that's fixed.

Feeling the same way. It sucks. Too bad. Was good fun hunting for a few days.

Get'sMad

I wish this game rewarded you with something in addition to egg hatching for like distances you walk/run/whatever....especially if you're playing somewhere not around a lot of pokestops (experience points/items, especially balls would be dope). Like I go run/walk/bike at this multi-use trail near me thats 10+ miles and there's like only 6 pokestops on the whole thing (and like 4 of the 6 are all congested to a couple mile stretch)...so if you're out by foot in the middle of thing and run out of balls you're SOL unless you want to like actually pay money for more balls (lol).

Seriously some of the 10k pokes aren't even worth it and eveelutions dominate the game
I still don't get why Eevee evolves at 25 candy when all the other two stage evolutions are at 50 candy except Rattata. Surely they don't mean to imply the Eeveelutions are Raticate tier? Lol

I have a feeling Niantic is going to someday update the game to make Eevee evolve at 50 candy. Better evolve them suckers while it's still easy.

masud

Banned
The historic district of Albuquerque is pretty messed up to Pokemon go players. Every night (way to hot to play during the day) a few hundred people gather in the little park in the town square but for some reason they shut off the park lights at like 10 so people are wandering around in the dark, it's not very safe. They do keep them on for other things though, during the holidays for example.

The local businesses are also pretty dumb about all this. There are a bunch of tourist trap bars and restaurants around the square, they would make a ton of money off all these go players but they all close at like 8. One business decided to stay open (a frozen yogurt shop) and they had a line out the door.

The big mystery for me is why they based the stats off the ones in the pokemon games but then didn't use speed for anything actually speed based and gave it a tiny influence on the stats it's used in the calculations of. That's why electric pokemon are kinda screwed in pokemon go: in the actual games they rely on a high speed stat a lot of the time but it's of little benefit in this game.

guek

Banned
A dugtrio pops up and the little fucker headbutts my only great ball and now I'm out of pokeballs

1080AfGtovINTq.gif

Anarion07

The big mystery for me is why they based the stats off the ones in the pokemon games but then didn't use speed for anything actually speed based and gave it a tiny influence on the stats it's used in the calculations of. That's why electric pokemon are kinda screwed in pokemon go: in the actual games they rely on a high speed stat a lot of the time but it's of little benefit in this game.

What about attack speed?
Jolteon is damn quick

I still don't get why Eevee evolves at 25 candy when all the other two stage evolutions are at 50 candy except Rattata. Surely they don't mean to imply the Eeveelutions are Raticate tier? Lol

I have a feeling Niantic is going to someday update the game to make Eevee evolve at 50 candy. Better evolve them suckers while it's still easy.

Probably because it has 3 different random evolutions.

They don't want to make you save up for 50, only to evolve into something you already had.

That would be even more infuriating to the people with 3 Jolteons or whatever.

GulAtiCa

Well, prob cause to get all 3 Eevees, you need to evolve each one with 75 candies. That be 150 candies if they did it at 50 per.

Just imagine if all the Eevee evolutions are in this one day. 8 evolutions. That be 200 candies vs 400 candies.

I'm glad Eevee is only 25 candies.

The historic district of Albuquerque is pretty messed up to Pokemon go players. Every night (way to hot to play during the day) a few hundred people gather in the little park in the town square but for some reason they shut off the park lights at like 10 so people are wandering around in the dark, it's not very safe. They do keep them on for other things though, during the holidays for example.

The local businesses are also pretty dumb about all this. There are a bunch of tourist trap bars and restaurants around the square, they would make a ton of money off all these go players but they all close at like 8. One business decided to stay open (a frozen yogurt shop) and they had a line out the door.

I live here in Albuquerque too right near Old Town and it's crazy to see how many people have gathered there night after night, especially during the usually dead weekdays.

Now that the servers are fully running, I feel like an idiot running back to PoGo. Like a person running back their abusive SO (maybe a little dramatic, I know).

I haven't played my PS4 in so long. I'm kind of regretting wasting all my time on this thing.

Feeling guily for going out instead of staying home and playing your PS4.
neogaf25rugz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom