• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarion07

Prepared a little something for the evening:

I’m sitting here in my boring room

It’s just another rainy thursday afternoon

I’m going outside to have something to do

My 10 km eggs I am looking at you

But nothing ever hatches

And I wonder..

I wonder how, I wonder why..

why do all the servers always say goodbye?

and all that I can see

is just another loading screen

I’m turning my phone

Up and down

Turning turning turning turning turning around

But all that I can see… yeah all that I can see… yes all that I can see, is just the f’cking loading screen

domlolz

Banned
Feels like the game is dying fast, at least where I live. The handful of gyms we have aren't being contested very often anymore. I haven't seen anyone out playing it anymore, despite seeing a ton before. I haven't seen anyone drop a lure at any of the handful of pokestops we have in a while. Hell, I haven't even turned on the app outside of my morning walk, even then it just sits in my pocket to track KM.

a drop in players was inevitable but yeah the server and gameplay issues aren't helping

Arrrammis

Wartortle popped up in my office, threw a berry and ultra ball at it, and the game froze. Waited a minute or so, then restarted the app. Wartortle was still there, tapped on him and then he disappeared with an "error" popping up at the top. I hate these servers sometimes.

I'm convinced that the distance traveled thing in this game is calculated in some really dumb way.

Like, I don't think it uses the phone the way a pedometer works. I think it does some calculation of distance moved according to the GPS, but only if that distance is below a certain threshold so it knows you aren't driving.

I say this because during my work day I sit at my desk a lot. Despite this, my building seems to throw off the GPS signal, and my character likes to slowly walk to the northeast from time to time.

Doing this, I've hatched several eggs. Despite the fact that my phone isn't actually moving.

I got to work at 8:30 this morning. At 9:14 an egg hatched into a Mankey. My phone did nothing but sit on my desk with the app open the whole time.

Chaos17

S35n1WG.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4twvxl/this_sub_right_now/

Arrrammis

I'm convinced that the distance traveled thing in this game is calculated in some really dumb way.

Like, I don't think it uses the phone the way a pedometer works. I think it does some calculation of distance moved according to the GPS, but only if that distance is below a certain threshold so it knows you aren't driving.

I say this because during my work day I sit at my desk a lot. Despite this, my building seems to throw off the GPS signal, and my character likes to slowly walk to the northeast from time to time.

Doing this, I've hatched several eggs. Despite the fact that my phone isn't actually moving.

I got to work at 8:30 this morning. At 9:14 an egg hatched into a Mankey. My phone did nothing but sit on my desk with the app open the whole time.

I believe Niantic confirmed that it is based off of GPS tracking rather than pedometer, but it's still weird how they track it. Some people who have been keeping track of it think that it takes a point every few minutes, then draws a line between the old point and the new point to get the distance traveled. It makes sense based on what I've seen, when I've been walking in a wide circle it sometimes thinks I've walked way less than I have.

I got the python map up and running locally, but is there a decent reliable way to take this on the go outside of a laptop using tethered data?

For people using the python script:

Is anyone having a problem where it stops updating after a while?

Yeah, it seems to die after 15-20 minutes... Fixes if I kill the process and restart

Yeah, the steps are clearly influenced by the GPS readings and not Accelerometer / Pedometer style measurements. Which is odd.

Also, too many of my friends are level 15+. Little do they know that after today, I should have enough Pokémon to evolve under a lucky egg to hit 18-19. Maybe even 20 if I hustle.

Not going to tell friends I'm going to the park. They slow me down. I need to TRAIN.

Also the guts for my LED pokeball / battery charger prop show up soon as does my Team Instinct trainer outfit. Hopefully I can get it all up and running for my park visit next week.

Yeah, the steps are clearly influenced by the GPS readings and not Accelerometer / Pedometer style measurements. Which is odd.

Also, too many of my friends are level 15+. Little do they know that after today, I should have enough Pokémon to evolve under a lucky egg to hit 18-19. Maybe even 20 if I hustle.

Not going to tell friends I'm going to the park. They slow me down. I need to TRAIN.

Also the guts for my LED pokeball / battery charger prop show up soon as does my Team Instinct trainer outfit. Hopefully I can get it all up and running for my park visit next week.

You are so diehard I love it.

I've been looking at Team Mystic hats but I can't find one I like enough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

That is precisely correct.

Hiz_95

How do you help defend a gym? I'm only given the option to train.

You can only put your pokemon there if there's a spare slot, each gym has a number of slots equal to the level of the gym, the gym you're talking about will have the same number of pokemon as it's level number. Gym's can go up to level 10 at maximum and if you want to raise it's level so you can put a pokemon in there you'll have to train at it until it's level increases.

Astral

You find the punks challenging it and break their phones.

Don't do this.
Unless you're team valor.

Lol I am.

You can only put your pokemon there if there's a spare slot, each gym has a number of slots equal to the level of the gym, the gym you're talking about will have the same number of pokemon as it's level number. Gym's can go up to level 10 at maximum and if you want to raise it's level so you can put a pokemon in there you'll have to train at it until it's level increases.

Oh I get it. So I can train there and help increase its level that way I can help defend it. Will do.

jmizzal

I got a lucky egg, def gonna save it until I go to the Pokemon Go safari on Monday at the Staduim, i should be able to level up fast

Chaos17

I'm quite disapointed that Niantic didn't imrpouve the player tracking mouvement and put a decent pedometer instead. That's kinda clunky system from what I read.

So there's been a lot of lamenting and gnashing of teeth over the supposed inaccuracy of the egg distance tracking. I think this all stems from an incorrect assumption of how Pokemon Go tracks distance. I realised I've got so used to how Ingress does it, that it didn't even occur to me that others might not realise and would be wasting time doing it the 'wrong' way. So let's begin

Pokemon Go does not use a pedometer/measure steps

This one I verified purely by chance, but I suspected was the case anyway. I was playing Go at the office and had a blip in my GPS. My avatar jumped halfway down the street, but before the GPS resolve itself and my avatar returned to where it was, an egg hatch triggered. I hadn't touched my phone, it hadn't moved or been nudged. But it had, according to my GPS, moved 500 meters down the road. And that's what triggered the egg hatch: distance not steps

Distance tracking doesn't work how you think it does

Many people are assuming that distance tracking, while the app is open, works like apps like RunKeeper or Strava; the app measures your exact route, every turn and deviation, every meter. This is not the case; Pokemon Go appears to work like Ingress (unsurprisingly), using refresh displacement measurement. What this means is Go notes your location, then waits an amount of time. After that time has passed, it measures your location again and works out the straight line distance between the two points.

What this means is, if you're walking a weaving path, back and forth, and happen to be quite close to your starting point after the first location check, it won't measure the entire distance you've walked in the intervening time. It'll just measure the straight line distance, which can be considerably less.

I verified this over three days; I spent my lunch walking around a my local park (which I know the circumference of) and observed the egg progress in the app, which was running the whole time (this is important, the app only tracks while open). The egg progress didn't go up as much as my actual distance, which is the issue people are reporting. Then yesterday, I carefully measured my walk to work progress. 1.6km in a pretty much straight line. All my eggs got 1.6km progress. Did the same thing today, 1.6km walked, 1.6km tracked.

tl;dr Egg distance tracking is not continuous tracking, so walking in circles will take longer. Better to walk in straight lines.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...year_ingress_guy_back_with_some_egg_research/

jmdajr

I don't think I have ever spend so much time playing a game with so many bugs.
It's unreal.

But when it works it's magic.

Vico

Because all the launchs so far have been not announced in advance even Japan can't get a date. Why the heck France will have a date with a specicific hour then ? That's just stupid to have beleived that. Anyone who had been following the news or social medias would've understood that.

That's why I said "idiots".

Japan is gonna maybe also be trolled for a third time but with Mac Donald baking up the soon release, it might become real tomorow.

I think we fully deserve to know when it's going to be out, considering how late we're receiving it. Some of us truely feel like we're missing out on a phenomenom.

gutshot

I'm quite disapointed that Niantic didn't imrpouve the player tracking mouvement and put a decent pedometer instead. That's kinda clunky system from what I read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...year_ingress_guy_back_with_some_egg_research/

The fact that they don't use the already built-in API that tracks steps is completely asinine. It would kill two birds with one stone fixing both the issue of constant battery drain from having to have the app open and inaccurate distance tracking. This would also lessen server load since not nearly as many people would leave the app open constantly just to get credit for distance traveled, cutting down on all those GPS pings and other data communication going on while the app is running.

NesFe

I just spent like 15 pokeballs and 4 razz berries, but i finally managed to catch a 379cp charmeleon. Now only 75 char candy till I have my charizard !

CrazE

Banned
So can anyone pick up their poke balls after they throw them? I still think this is a myth! Me or my friends can't do it. Some trick to it?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i only just noticed that you can see the list of possible medals/achievements in your profile, and saw that two are "battle girl" and "punk girl." any mra/gamergate loonies gone on a rant about that yet?

i am assuming they are for everyone, unless i got the female medals for some reason.

Not sure if snappy servers are because the major server issues yesterday purged a great number of people out of the game or just calm before another outage.

Does anyone happen to know why I can get GPS in my office fine in the morning, but the afternoon is full of lost GPS signal errors? Is time of day a thing for GPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom