• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I'm new to this but what's pokevision?
It's a site you can use to scan places to see what pokemon are there. Some people are using it because the in-game tracking system (aka nearby list and footsteps) is completely and utterly borked so finding them the way we're supposed to doesn't really work :p

julrik

Has anyone seen/caught an Electabuzz yet? Used to be my favorite when I played on my Gameboy
Level 18, and hadn't seen a single one until yesterday (found three in one hour).

MDRXVUZQ.jpeg

Articalys

Haven't really been following news for this game for a bit, but reading up on things now, is it correct to summarize, thanks to the entire codebase being extracted and datamined:

- every single technical detail currently implemented in the game, from appearance rates to stat distribution to battle mechanics, has been discovered, carefully documented, and probably over-analyzed to death

and

- people figured out a way to ping the game's servers outside of the app and make them cough up, in real time, exactly which Pokemon can be found in exactly what locations for exactly what amount of time, rendering exploration useless?

johnsmith

remember me
Haven't really been following news for this game for a bit, but reading up on things now, is it correct to summarize, thanks to the entire codebase being extracted and datamined:

- every single technical detail currently implemented in the game, from appearance rates to stat distribution to battle mechanics, has been discovered, carefully documented, and probably over-analyzed to death

No.

and

- people figured out a way to ping the game's servers outside of the app and make them cough up, in real time, exactly which Pokemon can be found in exactly what locations for exactly what amount of time, rendering exploration useless?

Yes
https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

I wouldn't say it renders exploration useless at all. It's only useful for Pokemon in the immediate vicinity, considering the time limit on spawns and the time it takes to go outside ( I live on the 3rd floor so it's a major problem for me). That said, it probably wouldn't have existed if the in-game tracking wasn't busted at the moment.

BTA

Sorta wasted an incense since it still didn't click how they worked, oops.

Meanwhile there's a Pikachu and Ivysaur near me, taunting me while I work.

Pokevision is working well today, I don't have to leave my phone screen on waiting for Mons to spawn, just check Pokevision or run the Python script every so often

I'm level 23 and my Snorlax maxed out at 2125 CP, Gyarados at 1864, and Vaporeon at 1896. Kinda sad because one of my friends has 3 2K CP Pokémon. I want an Exeggcutor.

So Pokemon automatically shows you what's around if someone else has scanned the area?

Glad it's caught on then because I brought up the map of my local waterfront and the whole place is covered in Pokemon, no need for me to scan the tiny little radius it shows over and over. Makes it a lot easier to see if a rare Pokemon spawns if multiple people are scanning different areas.

I'm level 23 and my Snorlax maxed out at 2125 CP, Gyarados at 1864, and Vaporeon at 1896. Kinda sad because one of my friends has 3 2K CP Pokémon. I want an Exeggcutor.

I think my biggest gripe with the game is how much the CP caps vary by Pokemon. Like, right now at level 18 my Exeggutor's CP cap looks to be ~1300 while Persian can only reach ~700. Makes the game more boring if only a few are viable, because they're the only ones people with dump their stardust into while the rest are sidelined as Pokedex fodder.

Walking around at lunch today at work here in Tokyo and even as I speak standing on the train platform one out of every 3 or so people are playing. Business men, college girls , people on iPads even walking around . It's huge here .

Seems to me like the rarer stuff spawns in the afternoon. Also i swear the higher level I get the harder it is to catch crappy low level pokemon.

Oreoleo

So now the game is out in Japan what other major markets are on the horizon? Someone in one of these threads mentioned it's not out in France, is that the case for most of Europe still? Feels like we're over the hump as far as new region releases and server issues go (Really, really hoping the major downtime a couple days ago after the update is the last of it), is it too optimistic to hope they might turn tracking back on next week?

Pokevision is working well today, I don't have to leave my phone screen on waiting for Mons to spawn, just check Pokevision or run the Python script every so often

Pokevision is a life saver. Was able to snag a Vulpix that otherwise would have been impossible to track down in the game's current state.

pbsapeer

Banned
Got a pikachu from a 2k egg which I was happy about. Finally evolved my pidgey into a pidgeot! Feels good man. I don't have one Pokemon over 250CP haha but oh well.
Anyone else have a problem where using battery saver mode and then checking your map means the screen it unresponsive?

I think my biggest gripe with the game is how much the CP caps vary by Pokemon. Like, right now at level 18 my Exeggutor's CP cap looks to be ~1300 while Persian can only reach ~700. Makes the game more boring if only a few are viable, because they're the only ones people with dump their stardust into while the rest are sidelined as Pokedex fodder.

I definitely agree. It's not like typing plays a part in any of it either. Some of my favorite Pokémon are one stage and they probably won't even hit the 800s.

johnsmith

remember me
My battery pack can charge my phone to full even while using it.

Just like the real games then. The Pokemon Company obviously doesn't give a damn about game balance the same way a western company like Blizzard tries to balance the classes in their games. Like they really couldn't have given farfetch'd an evolution or mega by now?

Rahvar

When it comes to charger rates. It depends on charger but also on what phone you use, and screen brightness setting. I use an LG G4 and it has a 2K display, even at lower brightness Pokemon Go drains faster than I can charge due to the GPS. Browsing it charges but quite slow. Screen off it charges about 1% per minute with a portable charger.

mugwhump

So when pokemon zip around in AR mode, is that supposed to be them attempting to dodge, or is the AR just glitching out?

And was that Japanese streamer from last night streaming when it released earlier? I wanted to see their reaction, lol.

My phone handles go pretty decently when it comes to battery life (amazon fire phone) but geeze does it get hot and start to lag after 30 minutes of playing. Its especially bad in this 100+ degree heat. A few minutes and my game starts to lag.

Reszo

So whats the stereotype associated with each team? I was on tumblr browsing memes and junk but I didn't get most of them lol

Koh

Used the lucky egg evo strategy along with a 10k egg hatch (hitmonchan) I was able to get from level 10.5 to level 16.5 today. Now I'm feeling like it's time to try some gym stuff.

My question is: if an opposing gym has a 500, a 600, a 1000 and a 1800-2k, do I need to be able to fight all of them or just beat some?

My best is 800 and the above scenario is incredibly common. I don't want to end up helping an opposing gym by accident.

Omanyte and Machoke right next to each other on PokeVision about a 5 min drive away.

But I just finished work and it's pouring rain so I can't be bothered @___@ Maybe for a Dragonite...

Used the lucky egg evo strategy. With a 10k egg hatch (hitmonchan) I was able to get from level 10.5 to level 16.5 today. Now I'm feeling like it's time to try some gym stuff.

My question is: if an opposing gym has a 500, a 600, a 1000 and a 1800-2k, do I need to be able to fight all of them or just beat some?

My best is 800 and the above scenario is incredibly common. I don't want to end up helping an opposing gym by accident.

Each person you defeat will help knock down the level of the gym, you don't have to beat them all in succession. You will have to eventually fight the higher level trainers if you want to take it over completely though.

Geneijin

Used the lucky egg evo strategy. With a 10k egg hatch (hitmonchan) I was able to get from level 10.5 to level 16.5 today. Now I'm feeling like it's time to try some gym stuff.

That one egg gave how much exp?

correojon

I think that as long as you win at least 1 battle (for example, beating the opponent´s 500CP pokemon) you´ll chip at the gym´s prestige. Little by little you can make the gym loose a level, so the 500CP Pokémon gets taken out and now the gym will only have the 600, 1000 and 1800 Pokémons. Repeat until you take the gym´s prestige to 0 so you can take over. This way, even with weaker Pokémons you can contribute!

The other gym will only win prestige if trainers of the same team fight it and win at least 1 battle.

Koh

That one egg gave how much exp?

That part of the post was a bit unclear. I evolved 58 pokemon and hatched a 10k egg which was worth 3k exp (double of 1000exp for hatch + 500 for new pokemon) during my lucky egg timer. All in all, somewhere just shy of 70k exp.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

CoolOff

Man, there's a specific Aerodactyl spawn in my town because I've seen it on my nearby twice in the same area, but the three step bug makes it impossible to track down.

I tried triangulating with Pokevision but to no success.

:(

Went out with two of my friends at 9pm Pokemon hunting. Just got back. We went to a college and no one was there. Figured we try the old town area and it was popping. So many people out playing Pokemon.

I love this game.

Yesterday I used the "Rainer" trick to evolve my Eevee and boom strongest Pokémon right now in my arsenal...yesterday was a good day for catching and evolving and even got some new Pokémon + the servers were running smooth yesterday evening (germany) which was nice...lets see how Go-Live JP will change that...

Shahadan

My phone took a hit and has now mutliple vertical bars and a bright white cloud in the middle of the screen.
Can't see shit anymore, no money to buy another one, I guess the hunt is over for me. RIP.

Looks like the "minor text fixes" included fixing the Youngster medal description, and probably the "caught X huge Magikarp" one, too (I don't have that medal to check).

So when pokemon zip around in AR mode, is that supposed to be them attempting to dodge, or is the AR just glitching out?

And was that Japanese streamer from last night streaming when it released earlier? I wanted to see their reaction, lol.

It's probably your phone that have trouble doing the AR. Saw it happen to one of my friends who also thought it was dodging. It isn't !

JoeM86

I'm not convinced about the PokéVision thing. There have been way too many discrepancies in what they say to what actually exists. For example, when I used it last, there was a Golbat standing right next to me (no Incense and nowhere near Lure Modules) which wasn't listed on PokéVision while PokéVision listed a Krabby down the road that wasn't there when I got there, despite the timer.

ANYWAY

Inundated of reports and sightings of Farfetch'd in Japan now

However, there are also actually a few reports of Kangaskhan & Tauros in Japan too, but mostly in gyms, but a couple in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom