• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSFan

They couldnt. They did believe the app would take off but not the way it actually did.Everybody and their grandma is palying it so its crowded as shit

Uh, yeah they could. Japan wasn't the first region the game launched in. Knowing what happened in previous regions' launches, they most certainly could have been better prepared with more servers before launching there.

Especially considering Japan is the Pokemon capital of the world.

Uh, yeah they could. Japan wasn't the first region the game launched in. Knowing what happened in previous regions' launches, they most certainly could have been better prepared with more servers before launching there.

Especially considering Japan is the Pokemon capital of the world.

But is it that simple to get servers for such a ,lets face it, massive game up and running? They are just running behind schedule, relax dudes, its a free game....

So I got pikachu as my starter, should I put points into him or will I find better versions in the wild?
Well, you'll definitely find higher CP versions in eggs/the wild but I don't actually know what the IVs on the starters are now that I think on it :eek:

You can try running it's stats through this but if the hp and cp are 10 then it's probably too low for the calc to work out a reasonable range for it: https://poke-assistant.herokuapp.com/main/ivcalculator

correojon

Amazing that they would launch in another country when the 3 step bug exists. Japanese players are going to be pretty confused.

It´s been like this for me since day one (3 or 4 days ago). I´m having fun with the game, but I really hope they fix this so I can really go hunting, because right now I´m just going from stop to stop catching whatever pops-up. And it´s great, but following a Pokemon around and finally finding it must be awesome.

ReaperXL7

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised anymore, I have never played an online focused game that hasn't had server load problems within the first month of release. Destiny, the division, Ultima, World of Warcraft, every single one has had them and at this point I'm just left to assume it's impossible to properly "prepare" for prior to actually releasing.

Hell my wife did cloth diapering and some of these special edition cloth diapers can crash servers and websites. One of these days if really like to educate myself on what makes this issue so hard to compensate for.

correojon

After 1 hour of not working, servers are up and running here. Apart form that hour the game´s been working pretty well for me and for people in the area; the building were I work is a gym and it´s been constantly changing hands all morning.

Minions

this pokemon fad will fade

After seeing how the game is programmed at higher levels (not just the crazy exp per level required, but also the fact that catching a level 23 pokemon starts taking 8-11 pokeballs in order to catch it), I am sure it will fizzle out in a couple months. Unless they program it to have normal rates for pokemon you have never caught, having an already hard time catching the pokemon you are missing before they run, and having that catch rate go even lower since you are higher level... then add in super low encounters for lots of pokemon is a big middle finger to completionists.

Encountering something like a Snorlax which already runs after 2-3 balls thrown at it, and then having to use 8-11 great/ultra balls to catch it since you are higher level are not the kind of odds I want playing a "catch them all" game.

All this information comes from people that already hit 30 or whatever.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised anymore, I have never played an online focused game that hasn't had server load problems within the first month of release. Destiny, the division, Ultima, World of Warcraft, every single one has had them and at this point I'm just left to assume it's impossible to properly "prepare" for prior to actually releasing.

Hell my wife did cloth diapering and some of these special edition cloth diapers can crash servers and websites. One of these days if really like to educate myself on what makes this issue so hard to compensate for.
I'd guess it's economics. Most companies probably make a relative estimate of how much they'll need and go as low as they can to keep costs under control

Realtime Worlds high-balled the server estimates to way more than I thought they'd ever need for APB and... well... realtime worlds isn't a company anymore so I think the financial outcome speaks for itself :p

woopWOOP

So how do you earn coins in this game exactly?
I think my brother mentioned something about holding gyms, but I don't think I'll be able to budge any of those fully evolved powerhouse monsters for a long while. Any tips (aside from blowing real money because screw that)

Moff

I think my brother mentioned something about holding gyms, but I don't think I'll be able to budge any of those fully evolved powerhouse monsters for a long while. Any tips (aside from blowing real money because screw that)

it's a common error to think you need to hold them
you don't: you capture them, you cash in INSTANTLY, with the top right button in the shop menu
after that a 21h cooldown starts where you can't cash in
then you capture again as many as you can, cash in, cooldown starts again
no holding required ever

I stopped doing it, though, not enough coins as rewards to make it worthwile imo

If you can get any pokemon into gyms then you can open the shop and click the shield on the top right to claim a 'defender bonus' which gives 10 pokecoins for every gym you have pokemon in plus a bunch of stardust.
The defender bonus claim has a cooldown of 21 hours though so pick when you use it carefully :3

If you don't think you can take down a gym or join a group of your fellow team in doing so, keep an eye out for any gyms owned by your team where the number of pokemon in said gym don't match the gym's level because that means there's empty slots available and you can put one of your own in there if you're quick about it :D

In this day and age of virtual servers? Yes.
It's not just a case of a button marked 'add server' though. It's what functions can be split across servers and why. It's how load is balanced between them. It's how the data is kept correct and up to date between them. It's how they deal with traffic that's just DDOSing. It's every single line of code of the game that causes interaction with the server that's under question. Some things you think you got right won't show their flaws until you have tens of millions of simultaneous requests. And even if you knew the game was going to be big, the fact it had no real ramp up (per country) gave even less time to prepare and fix all that.

eaise

Neo Member
If you don't think you can take down a gym or join a group of your fellow team in doing so, keep an eye out for any gyms owned by your team where the number of pokemon in said gym don't match the gym's level because that means there's empty slots available and you can put one of your own in there if you're quick about it :D

While adding your Pokemon to someone else's gym that is on your team is a good way to get coin it is also rude if all you have is weak Pokemon. (And if you can't fight a gym then that's all you have) Nobody wants to take out a gym and put a 1k+ Pokemon there only to see a few minutes later that you put a 90 CP pidgey. Just continue to level up till you have at least a decent Pokemon to put in the gym

PSFan

It's not just a case of a button marked 'add server' though. It's what functions can be split across servers and why. It's how load is balanced between them. It's how the data is kept correct and up to date between them. It's how they deal with traffic that's just DDOSing. It's every single line of code of the game that causes interaction with the server that's under question. Some things you think you got right won't show their flaws until you have tens of millions of simultaneous requests. And even if you knew the game was going to be big, the fact it had no real ramp up (per country) gave even less time to prepare and fix all that.

I know that, I've been in IT for over 20 years. It's much easier to spin up more virtual servers than it was back in the days of physical servers. With virtual servers, you can clone an existing instance and then make a few modifications to it before adding it to the farm.

And DDOSing should be dealt with at the routers/firewalls, not the servers.

While adding your Pokemon to someone else's gym that is on your team is a good way to get coin it is also rude if all you have is weak Pokemon. (And if you can't fight a gym then that's all you have) Nobody wants to take out a gym and put a 1k+ Pokemon there only to see a few minutes later that you put a 90 CP pidgey. Just continue to level up till you have at least a decent Pokemon to put in the gym
Having a lot of low CP ones is a bad idea but a single low CP mon is actually handy on non-maxxed out gyms as your team can beat it over and over to quickly raise the gym's level :p
Otherwise, yeah, I guess I should've clarified that you should at least be trying to match what's in the gym with your contribution rather than just slinging trash in to claim a few easy coins. Apologies :3

Yeah I can't log in with Pokemon Trainer Club account it's getting really annoying.

PTC logins are handled by seperate servers and seem to notoriously be less reliable than the google ones I'm afraid ^.^;

According to http://ispokemongodownornot.com/ the EU and US PTC login servers are down right now, but the google ones are A-OK.

Well, that figures. This 10yo is getting really grumpy here. :)

Cheers for the info!

correojon

Having a lot of low CP ones is a bad idea but a single low CP mon is actually handy on non-maxxed out gyms as your team can beat it over and over to quickly raise the gym's level :p
Otherwise, yeah, I guess I should've clarified that you should at least be trying to match what's in the gym with your contribution rather than just slinging trash in to claim a few easy coins. Apologies :3
Just put in whatever, us scrubs also have the right to use gyms. I see no high-level players leaving any gym alone so low-level players can enjoy that aspect of the game, so why should low-level players give them any consideration in return?

Edit: quoted the wrong post

T.O.P

Banned
I'm contempling buying the Plus thingy since it just got up for pre order in Italy

Is there any in depth on what this accessory does? because i'm still kinda confused tbh

Well, you'll definitely find higher CP versions in eggs/the wild but I don't actually know what the IVs on the starters are now that I think on it :eek:

You can try running it's stats through this but if the hp and cp are 10 then it's probably too low for the calc to work out a reasonable range for it: https://poke-assistant.herokuapp.com/main/ivcalculator

Yeah my pikachu is coming 11 ho 10 so it didn't show anything. Strange how the starters are pretty much useless since I guess all 4 can be found in the wild but stronger

PSFan

No worries :D

Oh? I missed this. What kind of stuff were they talking about? :eek:

Transferring Pokemon and things like that. Previously your PTC account allowed access to the Dream World and you could catch Pokemon there that weren't in your game and transfer them. I think that was for Black and White.

J-Roderton

What exactly does this mean on the bottom right of the screen? So these are the Pokemon nearby. So if I click one does that just make that particular one show up or what? Doesn't seem to do anything at all.

I'm contempling buying the Plus thingy since it just got up for pre order in Italy

Is there any in depth on what this accessory does? because i'm still kinda confused tbh

Yeah same here and some info on this would be nice.

The plus is a little odd for a couple of reasons. The first and most important is that it's not actually currently compatible with android phones. They've said they'll work on adding it later but if you have an android then right now it's just a fancy piece of plastic as far as your'e concerned but not many retailers make this as apparent as they probably should.

Secondly, you still actually have to have the pokemon go app actively running on your phone for it to interact with the plus (so not minimised or anything)

As for what the plus does, it's effectively a vibration device / remote control for the game. It'll vibrate in various ways to let you know there's a pokemon nearby or a pokestop and you can press it in certain ways to auto-claim items for the pokestop or even attempt to auto-capture pokemon you've caught at least once before without getting your phone out (whether it's successful or not is another matter, but it'll let you know whether it succeeded or not :3 ).

spekkeh

Banned
The plus is a little odd for a couple of reasons. The first and most important is that it's not actually currently compatible with android phones. They've said they'll work on adding it later but if you have an android then right now it's just a fancy piece of plastic as far as your'e concerned but not many retailers make this as apparent as they probably should.

Secondly, you still actually have to have the pokemon go app actively running on your phone for it to interact with the plus (so not minimised or anything)

Lol ridiculous. My phone autosleeps after fifteen seconds if I don't keep it active. I swear they don't actually playtest their own game.

What exactly does this mean on the bottom right of the screen? So these are the Pokemon nearby. So if I click one does that just make that particular one show up or what? Doesn't seem to do anything at all.
That's the tracking/nearby system. It's currently utterly borked so it won't help you much and it even currently shows pokemon that might not even be near you anymore.

When it worked, the window you can bring up would sort nearby pokemon from top left as closest to bottom right as furthest away. If you got close enough, the 3 pawprints you see next to them would reduce to 2, then as you get closer 1 and finally zero paws when you're almost on top of them. Using this you could actually hunt about for nearby pokemon and narrow down their location (hopefully before they despawn: pokemon only stay around for 15 minutes... I think some kind of indicator that they're about to run away would've been nice but it wasn't part of the system even when it worked)

eaise

Neo Member
Just put in whatever, us scrubs also have the right to use gyms. I see no high-level players leaving any gym alone so low-level players can enjoy that aspect of the game, so why should low-level players give them any consideration in return?

Edit: quoted the wrong post

You're the kind of person that joins a super high level party in an MMO when you're only level 2 aren't you? And then stay behind everyone and just reap the rewards of their hard work.

While technically you have the right to use the gyms same as everyone else (I never said you didn't) it's still rude to put your trash Pokemon in after someone on your team worked hard get that gym

Firemind

After seeing how the game is programmed at higher levels (not just the crazy exp per level required, but also the fact that catching a level 23 pokemon starts taking 8-11 pokeballs in order to catch it), I am sure it will fizzle out in a couple months. Unless they program it to have normal rates for pokemon you have never caught, having an already hard time catching the pokemon you are missing before they run, and having that catch rate go even lower since you are higher level... then add in super low encounters for lots of pokemon is a big middle finger to completionists.

Encountering something like a Snorlax which already runs after 2-3 balls thrown at it, and then having to use 8-11 great/ultra balls to catch it since you are higher level are not the kind of odds I want playing a "catch them all" game.

All this information comes from people that already hit 30 or whatever.
they're probably going to add more content like trading, pvp, pokemon, functionality

gotta keep the cash cow going

spekkeh

Banned
You do know that you can disable autosleep or put it to like 15 minutes?

Yes but not via the game, so 90% of the users won't do this. It doesn't really matter anyway, because if I leave it on while putting it in my pants, it will invariably push the app switcher or back button at some time, killing the game too.

Anarion07

You're the kind of person that joins a super high level party in an MMO when you're only level 2 aren't you? And then stay behind everyone and just reap the rewards of their hard work.

While technically you have the right to use the gyms same as everyone else (I never said you didn't) it's still rude to put your trash Pokemon in after someone on your team worked hard get that gym

If someone wants to take over the gym he will. Doesn't matter if the lowest is a 500 cp pokemon or a 50 cp

Transferring Pokemon and things like that. Previously your PTC account allowed access to the Dream World and you could catch Pokemon there that weren't in your game and transfer them. I think that was for Black and White.
Awww, I hope I don't miss out on anything too severe by going the google route :/

spekkeh

Banned

Can't a higher level pokemontrainer of the same team simply defeat your pokemon and take its spot? I'd say not being welcoming of new players is exponentially more rude than them trying to join your gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom