• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah it showed a bunch of Pokemon. Mostly super common Pokemon though.

So every time I click that link, it would show the current Pokemon that are there, as long as you have that program open?

Correct, or until I change the scan stuff

like location, range and what not.

mugwhump

While adding your Pokemon to someone else's gym that is on your team is a good way to get coin it is also rude if all you have is weak Pokemon. (And if you can't fight a gym then that's all you have) Nobody wants to take out a gym and put a 1k+ Pokemon there only to see a few minutes later that you put a 90 CP pidgey. Just continue to level up till you have at least a decent Pokemon to put in the gym

Nah screw that, then lower-leveled players have no real way to engage with the gym. Having a weak mon in gyms makes the game more fun for everyone.

kubus

My biggest regret is signing up with Pokemon Trainer Club

All my coworkers are catching pokemon and I'm the only one that can't log in

fml

Chaos17

Secondly, you still actually have to have the pokemon go app actively running on your phone for it to interact with the plus (so not minimised or anything)

Are you sure ? I've read no such statement elsewhere because every articles I've read said it will help saving battery.

Can't a higher level pokemontrainer of the same team simply defeat your pokemon and take its spot? I'd say not being welcoming of new players is exponentially more rude than them trying to join your gym.
Not on your own team, no. If the gym isn't level 10 yet, they can beat up your lil pokemon repeatedly to raise the gym's reputation and gain new gym levels which will open up new slots for them to put their own pokes in though, but the only thing that can kick your pokemon out of a gym once it's in is an enemy team beating the gym repeatedly until the gym's level drops (at which point the lowest CP pokemon is kicked off first)

Yes but not via the game, so 90% of the users won't do this. It doesn't really matter anyway, because if I leave it on while putting it in my pants, it will invariably push the app switcher or back button at some time, killing the game too.

Im on iOS and since I got this app and started it, I didnt had to switch any settings so its just permantly on screeen if I want to...plus I put my phone in my pocket with the app running and never "accidently" switched it off...

J-Roderton

That's the tracking/nearby system. It's currently utterly borked so it won't help you much and it even currently shows pokemon that might not even be near you anymore.

I see. It would be nice to see that work again. Either way I'm still enjoying leveling up and filling up the pokedex. Have yet to have a good/fun experience with a gym.

Nah screw that, then lower-leveled players have no real way to engage with the gym. Having a weak mon in gyms makes the game more fun for everyone.
No it doesn't, stay away from gyms if your Pokèmon suck. I was grinding up a gym with a friend so we could put our Pokèmon in only for someone to pull up and put their weakass 487 Jolteon in the gym. It wasn't too hard to level up the gym again but it was still super irritating.

correojon

You're the kind of person that joins a super high level party in an MMO when you're only level 2 aren't you? And then stay behind everyone and just reap the rewards of their hard work.

While technically you have the right to use the gyms same as everyone else (I never said you didn't) it's still rude to put your trash Pokemon in after someone on your team worked hard get that gym

Leaving the stupid assertions about my personality aside, are you saying that players with only "trash" Pokemons can´t use the gyms at all? Well, excuse me if my strongest Pokemon (387CP Golbat) is not good enough for you, but when I hit level 5 the game told me I could use gyms so that´s what I´m going to do. If you think that´s rude maybe it´s you who isn´t understanding how the game should be played.

mugwhump

No it doesn't, stay away from gyms if your Pokèmon suck. I was grinding up a gym with a friend so we could put our Pokèmon in only for someone to pull up and put their weakass 487 Jolteon in the gym. It wasn't too hard to level up the gym again but it was still super irritating.

If someone else just captured a gym it's bad manners to swoop in and put your shit in there no matter what level it is. But if a spot's free, go for it.

Are you sure ? I've read no such statement elsewhere.
Hmmm... I thought I'd seen people mention this a few times, but I'll have a hard look about to see what i can find for sure.

My intial skim search only turned this up: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/15...sory-everything-you-need-to-know?story_page=2
Even though the accessory can make use of the Pokemon Go app without actually bringing the phone out, there is a bit of a caveat with its compatibility with smart devices. You'll have to keep the Bluetooth active on your phone, as noted by iDigital Times. It might also be wise to put the phone in low-battery mode while the app is open so that the Pokemon Go Plus can still access the game and capture Pokemon while you're out and about around town. If you're using a newer phone that suffers from quick battery drain, it's something to keep in mind if you plan on getting the Pokemon Go Plus.

I'll edit my original post and post again here if it turns out I'm wrong. If anyone can either correct or corroborate this for me i'd appreciate it though :3

WPS

So guys what CP should my Evoli be before i evolve her?

Evoli is Eevee in some other language, right?

Regardless, don't train pokémon before you evolve them. There's no benefit to it, and you have a better idea of how good the mon is after you evolve it.

Leaving the stupid assertions about my personality aside, are you saying that players with only "trash" Pokemons can´t use the gyms at all? Well, excuse me if my strongest Pokemon (387CP Golbat) is not good enough for you, but when I hit level 5 the game told me I could use gyms so that´s what I´m going to do. If you think that´s rude maybe it´s you who isn´t understanding how the game should be played.

Lol in what world is this rude? If you are able to up the prestige of a gym and are able to put a pokemon you are free to do so, dont listen to that guy... looks like we are to "Pokémon masterrace" debate just because some people are higher levels....

Chaos17

Who again was defending gps cheaters ?

Cn993l8W8AE66vm.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4u202y/a_lots_of_chinese_players_using_fake_gps_went_to/

pLow7

Evoli is Eevee in some other language, right?

Regardless, don't train pokémon before you evolve them. There's no benefit to it, and you have a better idea of how good the mon is after you evolve it.

Sorry yeah, its Eeve in german haha

Ok so far so good, but isn't it better to catch a high cp Eeve and evolve that ?

Or is the "CP" of your evolved pokemon based on your level ?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
took a walk to hatch two 2km eggs. both were rattatas.

i also caught a rattata.

pokemon training in the fucking suburbs. at least i got a staryu from a 5km egg. but christ does this game suck.

J-Roderton

i also caught a rattata.

pokemon training in the fucking suburbs. at least i got a staryu from a 5km egg. but christ does this game suck.

Got a staryu from a 5 yesterday myself. Aside from a pollywag I just hatched it was the rarest I've come accross in an egg.

I walked probably 3 miles or so to the park near my place and only had 2 pokemon show up the entire time. Clefairy and a caterpie. Suburbs man.

Ok so far so good, but isn't it better to catch a high cp Eeve and evolve that ?

I usually only evolve Pokemon with high CP, cause stardust seems like a rare resource...

In other news I can login in Germany again :p and it seems to be kinda stable...

CP is a general indicator of your pokemon's current combat stats.
because stats go up with a pokemon's level, CP is generally higher on higher level pokemon. A pokemon's level can be increased using stardust and candies but cannot go higher than your trainer level + 1.5 (each upgrade is half a level :p)
You can roughly see the pokemon's level based on the white arc that appears above it on it's info page. The left of the arc represents level 1 and the far right is your trainer level + 1.5, with how far the arc is filled showing the pokemon's current actual level relative to these :3

While each pokemon of a species share the same base stats (e.g. all pidgies have the same base stats as each other) individual pokemon also have something called 'IVs' which are bonuses unique to them to each of their 3 stats that can range anywhere from 0 to 15 so you'll often find that even pokemon of the same species and level will have different CP values. You can use IV calculators to try and work out your pokemon's IVs if you like but to be honest it's more important to make sure your pokemon have a good moveset than worry too much about this IV stuff :3

pLow7

i also caught a rattata.

I went out with one friend to a near see and we saw a Poliwhirl on the screen.
Next thing you know the game crashes as soon as we try to catch him.
Somehow i was lucky enough to get him. As soon as he loggs in instead of a Poliwhirl there's a Poliwag, as if he wanted to insult him.

Tip of the mountain was, that he had two 5 km. eggs hatching soon.
He got 2 Poliwags out of em. 2 Fucking Poliwags.

At least he could evolve one to a Poliwhirl but still, that's insulting.

WPS

Oh, that's what you mean. I thought you meant leveling one up rather than catching better ones.

The dot on the arc at the top of the stat screen shows how strong the pokémon is compared to the cap for it's species at your level, and this dot's position doesn't change when you evolve a pokémon. You want something as close to the end of the arc as possible, but the cap will increase as your trainer level does.

For the ultimate Eevee, you would have to wait until you're something like level 30 (IIRC that's when the cap cannot increase further), and then find an Eevee as close to that cap as possible. It's up to you if you really want to wait that long.

woopWOOP

it's a common error to think you need to hold them
you don't: you capture them, you cash in INSTANTLY, with the top right button in the shop menu
after that a 21h cooldown starts where you can't cash in
then you capture again as many as you can, cash in, cooldown starts again
no holding required ever

I stopped doing it, though, not enough coins as rewards to make it worthwile imo

If you can get any pokemon into gyms then you can open the shop and click the shield on the top right to claim a 'defender bonus' which gives 10 pokecoins for every gym you have pokemon in plus a bunch of stardust.
The defender bonus claim has a cooldown of 21 hours though so pick when you use it carefully :3

If you don't think you can take down a gym or join a group of your fellow team in doing so, keep an eye out for any gyms owned by your team where the number of pokemon in said gym don't match the gym's level because that means there's empty slots available and you can put one of your own in there if you're quick about it :D
Alright, thanks!

At what CP level would you guys consider monsters to be atleast decent? Haven't powered up any of them yet so I don't know how much the CP increases each time, but so far I have an Eevee and Pidgeotto at CP 170/140.

I suppose it's easiest to get a strong Pidgeot with all those Pidgeys flying about. Candy aplenty

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I went out with one friend to a near see and we saw a Poliwhirl on the screen.
Next thing you know the game crashes as soon as we try to catch him.
Somehow i was lucky enough to get him. As soon as he loggs in instead of a Poliwhirl there's a Poliwag, as if he wanted to insult him.

Tip of the mountain was, that he had two 5 km. eggs hatching soon.
He got 2 Poliwags out of em. 2 Fucking Poliwags.

At least he could evolve one to a Poliwhirl but still, that's insulting.

right now there's a pikachu haunting me on my nearby list, but it's not like i had any chance of finding it with this terrible tracking system.

pLow7

I usually only evolve Pokemon with high CP, cause stardust seems like a rare resource...

In other news I can login in Germany again :p and it seems to be kinda stable...

I evolved about 20 600+ cp Eevees. Try to evolve those since you can find hundreds of them.

CP is a general indicator of your pokemon's current combat stats.
because stats go up with a pokemon's level, CP is generally higher on higher level pokemon. A pokemon's level can be increased using stardust and candies but cannot go higher than your trainer level + 1.5 (each upgrade is half a level :p)
You can roughly see the pokemon's level based on the white arc that appears above it on it's info page. The left of the arc represents level 1 and the far right is your trainer level + 1.5, with how far the arc is filled showing the pokemon's current actual level relative to these :3

While each pokemon of a species share the same base stats (e.g. all pidgies have the same base stats as each other) individual pokemon also have something called 'IVs' which are bonuses unique to them to each of their 3 stats that can range anywhere from 0 to 15 so you'll often find that even pokemon of the same species and level will have different CP values. You can use IV calculators to try and work out your pokemon's IVs if you like but to be honest it's more important to make sure your pokemon have a good moveset than worry too much about this IV stuff :3

Thanks guys. Then i might continue looking for a better Eeve :)

Alright, thanks!

At what CP level would you guys consider monsters to be atleast decent? Haven't powered up any of them yet so I don't know how much the CP increases each time, but so far I have an Eevee and Pidgeotto at CP 170/140.

I suppose it's easiest to get a strong Pidgeot with all those Pidgeys flying about. Candy aplenty
It really depends on your area in all honesty. Some areas have very competitive scenes and you'll be seeing crazy 2k+ CP monstrosities on them, while some are a bit slower so you'll probably find something a tad more manageable on the gyms there. Best bet is just to look about for a rough gauge of where your area is, mostly with an eye on the lower end because that's where you'll be entering this all :p

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I was just thinking about how Nintendo and Co could have made a lot more money if they just used Candy to power up Pokemon and not the dust as well. Since the player could just buy more Pokeballs and catch more Pokemon to turn into candy. Kudos to them for taking away an aspect that would have made them MORE money in order to keep the game fairer.

It's there still but at an acceptable level it would seem.

Widge

Tell you what. I've got a slobro with a water cannon attack that is just lethal. It can mow through foes as they seem to spend more time recovering from my attack than attacking.

In comparison, my slow attack dudes suck.

BlakeofT

They should release a new pokemon from sun and moon on pokemon go without telling anyone. People would go absolutely crazy trying to catch it, and it would be a good way to spread the word about the 3ds games to mobile players.

Generate

Banned
It really depends on your area in all honesty. Some areas have very competitive scenes and you'll be seeing crazy 2k+ CP monstrosities on them, while some are a bit slower so you'll probably find something a tad more manageable on the gyms there. Best bet is just to look about for a rough gauge of where your area is, mostly with an eye on the lower end because that's where you'll be entering this all :p

Around here, Instinct seems to have a grudge so they put multiple 2000 cp pokemon in gyms and stack to Level 9/10 starting with 1400 cp. It takes an hour to whittle those gyms down to nothing. Quite daunting for new Pokego players.

Chopper

Lol ridiculous. My phone autosleeps after fifteen seconds if I don't keep it active. I swear they don't actually playtest their own game.
Furthermore, I've read that it doesn't notify you if a new Pokemon comes into range. Just ones you've already caught. Which is outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom