• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

Same posts about the servers every fucking day.

We get it guys, you really want to play the game. We all do.

Just chill out about it a little, though, okay?

hEist

Niantic clearly don't think there's enough issues so have just officially launched in Canada!

Link: https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/754756895584509952

13IPSOV91fczpS.gif

Zafir

Same posts about the servers every fucking day.

We get it guys, you really want to play the game. We all do.

Just chill out about it a little, though, okay?
Well I mean if you can't get on the server what is there to talk about in the OT lol?

Acinixys

Their strategy, if one could call it that, mudt be to just release it everwhere ASAP and then settle the servers down.

Yeah

Why add more servers, and incur millions in extra costs, when you can wait a month for the player count to halve and everything to be fine

It makes total business sense to just wait out this initial rush, but that doesnt make it any less annoying

mr.beers

Good thing servers went down when they did. I was literally minutes from popping a lucky egg and doing 30 pidgey evolutions and .3km for my 2 eggs.

panda-zebra

Went for a bike ride and the damn thing isn't even working. Pretty sure only 1km has been counted thus far

I've been on the bike for most of my hunting, hacked a gopro mount for my phone and huge battery pack in my pocket. Two things that will prevent distance counting for eggs is going too fast (I try to stick to an easy jogging pace) and spotty server status. Put both together and you might as well be sat at home :/

Their strategy, if one could call it that, mudt be to just release it everwhere ASAP and then settle the servers down.

Let servers settle down implies they settle down because people stop playing. Niantic could have a billion dollar game on their hands but if server issues keep up people WILL abondon the game.

egruntz

shelaughz
Wow. Way to completely waste my fucking time Niantic.

Spent 4 hours this morning walking to get all 9 of my 10k eggs hatching at the same time. Used a lucky egg when they were at 9.9K. Started evolving Pidgeys in the meantime.

SERVERS FUCKING CRASH. Egg timer keeps on going. Of course. Servers are fine all morning up until the very moment I reach the reason I was out all fucking morning.

Get back in 10 minutes later. 20:00 left on my lucky egg.

CRASH. AGAIN.

FUCK this. Complete waste of my time. They need to stop releasing this game elsewhere while their server performance is as pathetic as it is.

ash321

No, their strategy is: released, upgrade server, server unstable, disable one of the most important feature in the game(footprint), server running for like 12hour, released it in 26 countries(albeit small country), server caught on fire, open more server, disable another feature (caught animation), server struggle but still somehow work, released it in fucking CANADA, server is on fking fire.
Waiting for Niantic to released this game tommorow on Japan, so their freaking company can be burn down with the god damn server.

Oreoleo

Well I mean if you can't get on the server what is there to talk about in the OT lol?

The entitlement just gets on my nerves after a while. No one has any idea what is going on behind the scenes or what the logistics of getting a whole new server farm up and running on the scale they need is like. I'm sure the people at Niantic/Google/Pokemon Company/Nintendo know what they are doing and are proceeding in the best way possible.

Edit:
FUCK this. Complete waste of my time. They need to stop releasing this game elsewhere while their server performance is as pathetic as it is.
Shit like this. Get over yourself.

Maz

No, their strategy is: released, upgrade server, server unstable, disable one of the most important feature in the game(footprint), server running for like 12hour, released it in 26 countries(albeit small country), server caught on fire, open more server, disable another feature (caught animation), server struggle but still somehow work, released it in fucking CANADA, server is on fking fire.
Waiting for Niantic to released this game tommorow on Japan, so their freaking company can be burn down with the god damn server.

This is a good summery of how they operate. The servers were crashing before they released it in 26 new countries

Zafir

How about just not post about it in the OT, when the previous 10 comments are the same interjection.
It's a discussion. People aren't posting the exact same comment. They are discussing the game which in turn means servers.

It doesn't stop anyone else from discussing other topics. People were just discussing evolutions perfectly fine.

Just ignore or don't comment on discussions you don't like. In this case the servers.

lt519

This is fucking stupid

Edit: I see people are touchy. It's really dumb to open up more regions when you are already massively unstable. It's going to push even more people away from the game that are trying it out for the first time in the middle of the weekend.

ash321

The entitlement just gets on my nerves after a while. No one has any idea what is going on behind the scenes or what the logistics of getting a whole new server farm up and running on the scale they need is like. I'm sure the people at Niantic/Google/Pokemon Company/Nintendo know what they are doing and are proceeding in the best way possible.
That's the fking problem. They don't communicate. Not on their twitter, not on facebook, they don't even have a CM on reddit for fuck sake. Say something, explain what is currently happening, point out how they will compensate for people who wasted money on their product. And going fixed it before release it in another country.

Lucumo

That doesn't mean we can't criticize them for adding even more server load for no reason whatsoever.

Oreoleo

It's a discussion. People aren't posting the exact same comment. They are discussing the game which in turn means servers.

It doesn't stop anyone else from discussing other topics. People were just discussing evolutions perfectly fine.

Just ignore or don't comment on discussions you don't like. In this case the servers.

To be clear, I don't mind people talking about the server issues.

But the tone of the conversation at large is kind of disgusting.
That doesn't mean we can't criticize them for adding even more server load for no reason whatsoever.
You are not wrong. But some people need to put on their big boy pants and suck it up a little.

egruntz

shelaughz

Edit:

Get over myself? LMFAO.

Niantic was greedy AF. This game was slated to be in development for a much longer time, but due to its reception in Japan they released it in its sorry state. Of course it's popular. Why on Earth do you think people being pissed at pathetic servers is "entitlement?" Guess what? When companies are accepting real money and processing your payments, issuing faulty items during crap servers, it's a waste of your time and money and people have a right to be pissed.

Posts like yours are ridiculous.

PSFan

Edit:

Maybe you should get over yourself. You're the only one complaining about server posts. So stop speaking for everyone. You don't like it? You don't have to come into the topic.

Lucumo

Servers haven't worked for Europe since noon, same as yesterday. So "struggling" is a heavy understatement for us.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i got in long enough to catch a drowzee, but the game crashed after i tried to catch a jynx, and again when i tried to get a shellder. now i can't get in at all.

Zafir

Edit:

Well, to be fair, it's been handled terribly.

Like I could understand your complaint if this was Friday, before they released it in loads of countries yesterday. People complained about the server, but it wasn't that bad really. It would glitch out sometimes, but it was still playable. Like it was totally understandable for a launch of this calibre, it was an unexpected hit. Like most launches it isn't cost effective to buy a load of servers just for launch because there's always going to be a massive drop off.

However, then they decided to release it in 26 countries, even though I think anyone could have told them their servers probably couldn't handle it considering it was struggling before.

Even worse, despite the server being on life support the past 2 days, they go, "Yeah this is a fantastic time to release it in Canada".

Now I understand it's a bit disappointing if you live in a country where it isn't officially released, but the hardcore can still play in most cases via sideloading or creating other region apple accounts. I think that's probably a necessary evil for people actually being able to play. People can't play at the moment - more over Niantic won't be earning money.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It's like some people lost their livelihoods because of this.

People have been losing time and money. The moment you spend a penny on a game that crashes while using an object that costs real money you're entitled to your complaints.

Well I'm mad. Wasted 2hours because of these stupid servers not allowing me in meanwhile others in the park were talking about rares popping up.

Atram

This is some Blizzard level of outrage about the servers, the only difference is people pay for blizzard games

TrueBlue

Yeah

Why add more servers, and incur millions in extra costs, when you can wait a month for the player count to halve and everything to be fine

It makes total business sense to just wait out this initial rush, but that doesnt make it any less annoying

Annoying is right. In a perfect world, the servers will hold firm over the next few days.

Let servers settle down implies they settle down because people stop playing. Niantic could have a billion dollar game on their hands but if server issues keep up people WILL abondon the game.

This is inevitable to a certain extent, but here's hoping that they can mitigate the damage.

Well, I did doubt if said strategy could be referred to as such in the original post. Simmer down.

Ultryx

Get over myself? LMFAO.

Niantic was greedy AF. This game was slated to be in development for a much longer time, but due to its reception in Japan they released it in its sorry state. Of course it's popular. Why on Earth do you think people being pissed at pathetic servers is "entitlement?" Guess what? When companies are accepting real money and processing your payments, issuing faulty items during crap servers, it's a waste of your time and money and people have a right to be pissed.

Posts like yours are ridiculous.

I don't really think the game is in a "sorry state." It's super fun when the servers are working, which is spotty right now due to their global release. Servers will improve. The game will also improve as they add features. I would rather have the game now and have them roll out features than wait even longer for the game. I am happy with it.

wmlk

People have been losing time and money. The moment you spend a penny on a game that crashes while using an object that costs real money you're entitled to your complaints.

That's a real issue. I just don't think that's the case with everyone here.

lt519

No one wants to take a walk for no reason I guess.

I ride my bike all the time for no reason, it's fun. I literally don't want to take a walk for no reason, it's boring. I'd like to play the game, buy they are making it impossible to do so. It's a poor move by them as people are going to lose interest or not risk going out of their way to play the game in areas further away from their homes.

egruntz

shelaughz
I don't really think the game is in a "sorry state." It's super fun when the servers are working, which is spotty right now due to their global release. Servers will improve. The game will also improve as they add features. I would rather have the game now and have them roll out features than wait even longer for the game. I am happy with it.

I'm glad you have fun with it despite how barebones it is. I do too, when it's actually up and running. But the matter of the fact is that more than 50% of the time there are server problems. Or major features of the game (footprints) are completely broken.

Trading, battling w/ trainers, battling random pokemon, etc. were all major features that were reportedly wanted for launch. You don't need all that stuff to have with it, sure, and I agree, but I'm not saying it's in a sorry state because of the lack of those features. I'm saying it's in a sorry state because of its sorry servers, but despite that, Niantic is taking payments and expanding the game to regions that are overloading their servers WAY more than they're even near prepared for. That's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom