• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotcheggz

It's a but dissapointing with the server issues but let's be honest, it's the same old same old with launches of popular games that use a network connection these days so I'm not going to throw my toys out the pram just yet. The only thing that bums me out is that I managed to talk a couple friends into playing with me and I don't think they have that kinda experience. They both just texted me saying pretty much "what is this, it doesn't even work". The problem is I imagine that's the extent of their experience with the game now, they'll brush it aside and probably won't pick it back up, which is a shame. Still, me and my gf will see this messy launch through I'm sure, so it's not all loss.

Still, sort it out Niantic, there is Pidgeys I'm missing here!

Svafnir

The server issues are expected, but at this point and how much money they have made... That should really be their first priority, the freaking step counter is broken!

egruntz

shelaughz
Forgot about that part

I lost 2 lucky eggs because of this shit because the timer won't stop.

Exactly my case. And I've been walking for the 4+ hours before the servers crashed, getting all 9 of my eggs ready to hatch at the same time for the lucky egg. Then I pop the egg, then the servers crash, and continue to crash, and continue to crash, and waste my fucking morning and money.

malfcn

The metro versus rural distribution of stops is sad. Where we live there are like 3 in town. Near a campus there are a dozen.

I imagine the long term health of the game will be based on stop locations. Not everyone is going to pay for balls everyday.

TheFlow

Banned
People should stop asking for updates till the servers are fixed and bugs are taken care of.

game barely been out for 2 weeks less than days in other countries.

Lucumo

Is there a website that tells the status of the servers? I wanna know when to register.

Register during the night. Apparently the names all being taken was a server issue (which you won't be able to see). I have some stupid numbers behind my name because of that.

Chaos17

People should stop asking for updates till the servers are fixed and bugs are taken care of.

game barely been out for 2 weeks less than days in other countries.

Brazilians and Asians don't care
(from the facebook and tweeter comments I read)

Oreoleo

Well, to be fair, it's been handled terribly.

Like I could understand your complaint if this was Friday, before they released it in loads of countries yesterday. People complained about the server, but it wasn't that bad really. It would glitch out sometimes, but it was still playable. Like it was totally understandable for a launch of this calibre, it was an unexpected hit. Like most launches it isn't cost effective to buy a load of servers just for launch because there's always going to be a massive drop off.

However, then they decided to release it in 26 countries, even though I think anyone could have told them their servers probably couldn't handle it considering it was struggling before.

Even worse, despite the server being on life support the past 2 days, they go, "Yeah this is a fantastic time to release it in Canada".

Now I understand it's a bit disappointing if you live in a country where it isn't officially released, but the hardcore can still play in most cases via sideloading or creating other region apple accounts. I think that's probably a necessary evil for people actually being able to play. People can't play at the moment - more over Niantic won't be earning money.
Appreciate the level headed response.

I think there is an element of 'striking while the iron is hot' going on here with their strategy. This thing is blowing up bigger than anyone expected (obviously), and the way it's taking over social media and REAL media, they probably figure it's better to get it out in as many countries as possible while the zeitgeist is in full swing rather than get the servers to 100% in one country while half the rest of the world doesn't have the game at all. The way daily active users and player retention works, it probably makes more sense to get as many countries on board as quick as possible to get a good read on how much more infrastructure they need, rather than halt releases more than they already have, get more servers online only to find that the moment has passed and WHOOPS now we have all these servers we don't actually need anymore. That's the way I see it anyway.

People who have spent money on this and lost items due to server outages have real grievances and I would suggest they get in contact with Niantic or their bank/credit card company. Moaning on a message board about it isn't going to accomplish much.

That's a real issue. I just don't think that's the case with everyone here.
Undoubtedly.

MajorMane

The metro versus rural distribution of stops is sad. Where we live there are like 3 in town. Near a campus there are a dozen.

I imagine the long term health of the game will be based on stop locations. Not everyone is going to pay for balls everyday.

Definitely. I do believe they're looking for a way to reopen up submissions for Pokestops and Gyms because of this. If you didn't have many Ingress players in your area a few years back, the Pokestops will be lacking in your area, unfortunately.

exfatal

people who spent real money on this game when server issues are soo shit from the get go and especially on timed items like lures and incense... well lets just say i hope you learned from all of this. I for one am happy its released in Canada despite all the bitching everyone else is doing, now i can official download it.
Servers will get better eventually and when they do then i'll even think about using real money to buy timed items to use.

Zafir

It's a but dissapointing with the server issues but let's be honest, it's the same old same old with launches of popular games that use a network connection these days so I'm not going to throw my toys out the pram just yet. The only thing that bums me out is that I managed to talk a couple friends into playing with me and I don't think they have that kinda experience. They both just texted me saying pretty much "what is this, it doesn't even work". The problem is I imagine that's the extent of their experience with the game now, they'll brush it aside and probably won't pick it back up, which is a shame. Still, me and my gf will see this messy launch through I'm sure, so it's not all loss.

Still, sort it out Niantic, there is Pidgeys I'm missing here!

As someone who has played a lot of MMO's at launch over the years. My disappointment is more in how Niantic has handled it really.

There's also the fact, unlike MMO's, it's wasting peoples money/consumables. When you have timed consumables which don't pause when you aren't connected to the server - it's a bit of a problem.
Appreciate the level headed response.

I think there is an element of 'striking while the iron is hot' going on here with their strategy. This thing is blowing up bigger than anyone expected (obviously), and the way it's taking over social media and REAL media, they probably figure it's better to get it out in as many countries as possible while the zeitgeist is in full swing rather than get the servers to 100% in one country while half the rest of the world doesn't have the game at all. The way daily active users and player retention works, it probably makes more sense to get as many countries on board as quick as possible to get a good read on how much more infrastructure they need, rather than halt releases more than they already have, get more servers online only to find that the moment has passed and WHOOPS now we have all these servers we don't actually need anymore. That's the way I see it anyway.

People who have spent money on this and lost items due to server outages have real grievances and I would suggest they get in contact with Niantic or their bank/credit card company. Moaning on a message board about it isn't going to accomplish much.
I totally get why they did it. I think they definitely did want to strike when the iron is hot, so to speak.

Unfortunately, I feel like it would have worked out for them more if they'd have just kept staggering it a bit more. Rather have a few countries not being able to play, but everyone else being able to play AND pay. Instead of everyone having the possibility of playing, but can't play or pay because the servers can't handle it. I just think their greed is going to end costing them a bit.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
How utterly ridiculous.

So you know how the servers were down all today? Let's add more people wanting to get on!

Don't forget that nothing appears closer than 3 footprints. Seems like they should get that in order too before more people start playing.

people who spent real money on this game when server issues are soo shit from the get go and especially on timed items like lures and incense... well lets just say i hope you learned from all of this. I for one am happy its released in Canada despite all the bitching everyone else is doing, now i can official download it.
Servers will get better eventually and when they do then i'll even think about using real money to buy timed items to use.
yeah, "fuck people who support the game, atleast I can download a broken version of it !!!"

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They should definitely at least warn us like two hours before the game is released in a new country.

wmlk

If you very well know that the servers are prone to going down at any time, don't spend your hard earned money on the game. It's their fault, but you also know the risk.

Firemind

As someone who has played a lot of MMO's at launch over the years. My disappointment is more in how Niantic has handled it really.

There's also the fact, unlike MMO's, it's wasting peoples money/consumables. When you have timed consumables which don't pause when you aren't connected to the server - it's a bit of a problem.
You're literally talking about cents.

I mean I remember Diablo 3's disastrous launch and I payed 100 bucks for it.

TheFlow

Banned
Gaf members should probably know better about the servers and ect but I don't expect the casual people to know what is going on with the servers and list of countries with releases.
So I feel bad for them

egruntz

shelaughz

Oh brother. Dude, this is a discussion board. If you don't like the discussion, don't participate. It's that simple.

Well my dad who was a daily player and quite excited with the game has told me that he is just about ready to give up due to the Servers not working, The app constantly crashing and it not tracking his eggs due to the combination of the first two.

Niantic really is going to have a problem on their hands if this continues

exfatal

yeah, "fuck people who support the game, atleast I can download a broken version of it !!!"

lol is that what you got from that? i'm all for supporting the game, but when the game crashes on you for the 6th time and you cant get back in due to server issues. then i think it's alright to hold of on spending real money on timed items till the issues fixed, saves everyone some grief. But by all means keeps spending money on lucky eggs use them, server crashes 2 mins later and you come here to bitch about how Canada is making it hard for you to play your game. By all means go right ahead, i'll wait till the servers are stable myself

If you very well know that the servers are prone to going down at any time, don't spend your hard earned money on the game. It's their fault, but you also know the risk.

this ^^^ i dont understand why this is hard to understand...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've been playing PGo super casually since launch - basically just popping in on my walk to the bus stop. I just dinged lvl 9.

Today was the first day I took a "pokemon Go specific" walk - although to justify it to myself I bought some coffee along the way.

Caught a bunch of new pokes but nothing too crazy (Female Nidoran, Ekans, Geodude) and hatched a 5km egg that had another new poke in it (Magnemite) so all in all a productive walk. I think I'm now at ~35 unique pokemon caught.

If I'm being honest the battle system in this game is pretty shit and it makes me question how much staying power the game will have.

Friends lists, trading, better Pokemon transferring... all these features will make a difference and will stretch out the game's longevity. But with more and more people hitting 100+ Pokemon caught, I don't see there being too much long term staying power as people run out of Pokemon to track down.

I know they'll introduce Gen 2, raids, etc. But I think people will begin to think more about why they're doing all this when it all just eventually funnels into mediocre gym battles.

Oreoleo

Oh brother. Dude, this is a discussion board. If you don't like the discussion, don't participate. It's that simple.

Am I wrong? Have you done anything about your lost money besides complain about it here on GAF and maybe Reddit or Facebook?

TheFlow

Banned
I've been playing PGo super casually since launch - basically just popping in on my walk to the bus stop. I just dinged lvl 9.

Today was the first day I took a "pokemon Go specific" walk - although to justify it to myself I bought some coffee along the way.

Caught a bunch of new pokes but nothing too crazy (Female Nidoran, Ekans, Geodude) and hatched a 5km egg that had another new poke in it (Magnemite) so all in all a productive walk. I think I'm now at ~35 unique pokemon caught.

If I'm being honest the battle system in this game is pretty shit and it makes me question how much staying power the game will have.

Friends lists, trading, better Pokemon transferring... all these features will make a difference and will stretch out the game's longevity. But with more and more people hitting 100+ Pokemon caught, I don't see there being too much long term staying power as people run out of Pokemon to track down.

I know they'll introduce Gen 2, raids, etc. But I think people will begin to think more about why they're doing all this when it all just eventually funnels into mediocre gym battles.
Only lv9? You know nothing Jon snow. You barely getting started

Zafir

You're literally talking about cents.

I mean I remember Diablo 3's disastrous launch and I payed 100 bucks for it.

That's a fucking stupid comparison. You didn't pay $100 and then when the servers sorted themselves out found out you can't play Diablo 3 because your copy was used up.

You lost no money on DIablo 3 being down, only time. People are losing money by the Go servers being down.

PSFan

Am I wrong? Have you done anything about your lost money besides complain about it here on GAF and maybe Reddit or Facebook?

Yeah, you are wrong. Who the hell are you to tell people not to be upset about the server troubles?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Only lv9? You know nothing Jon snow. You barely getting started

The battles simply aren't fun. Collecting is fun. Throwing Pokeballs feels very good - provides that much-needed "6 seconds of fun" every game needs.

Battles don't.

I think the system needs a re-think to be more Pokemon-like.

egruntz

shelaughz

182aDUl.png

Yes, you are incredibly wrong and extremely hasty in your assumptions.

Oreoleo

Yeah, you are wrong. Who the hell are you to tell people not to be upset about the server troubles?

Putting words in my mouth much? I never said people don't have a right to be upset. I just think some should conduct themselves with a little more dignity.

And the post you're quoting is about seeking recourse for lost funds. Way to take that shit out of context dude.

182aDUl.png

That is a pretty flimsy response on their part. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Luckily before the recent server crash, I was able to hatch a 10km egg with a CP1236 Snorlax, catch a Dratini, Hypno and Clefairy for the first time, and gather tons of much needed Pokeballs and Great Balls.

I think I'm satisfied for the day.

Pachimari

One thing's for sure, they aren't getting more of my money until the servers are fixed. That said, I'm willing to give them the time they need, I just hope it's fixed before the end of the month.

ash321

Putting words in my mouth much? I never said people don't have a right to be upset. I just think some should conduct themselves with a little more dignity.

And the post you're quoting is about seeking recourse for lost funds. Way to take that shit out of context dude.
If you use pokemon trainer club account, google won't refund you. If you use google account, they currently processing to see if you eligible for a refund.

exfatal

182aDUl.png

doubt turning this place into an echo chamber of the same shit being said is going to help niatic solve your problem any faster. but heck what do i know maybe it will maybe they reading the forums right now. >_>

PSFan

The battles simply aren't fun. Collecting is fun. Throwing Pokeballs feels very good - provides that much-needed "6 seconds of fun" every game needs.

Battles don't.

I think the system needs a re-think to be more Pokemon-like.

I agree. The gyms and battles are pretty stupid tbh. There's no reward except holding onto a gym and some coins. And around here the gyms change really quickly and constantly. I usually just drop a pokemon in an instinct controlled gym if there's room and grab the coins and go on about my hunting and catching.

adamy

Banned
I've never really paid attention… How much experience do eggs hatching give? I have nine incubators running so I should probably be stacking them with lucky eggs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom