• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costia

So what is the "best" pokemon finder?
I saw few days ago someone say something is much better than pokevision.com, what is it?
Something to see much bigger area at once so you dont have to click tons to see small area.
The python ones that you need to install on your PC.

Zafir

OOf gym leader besides my house has pokemons over 1k CP, while my strongest, Scyther is 397. I can´t do a damn thing especially when his special attacks wiped out my pokemon in one hit. So a question, what happens when i defeat a gym leader, and put my pokemon there? Would my pokemon be attacked by other players and do they take my gym?

Yeah, people from the enemy team will be able to attack the pokemon you put in, and if the gym drops to 0 prestige, take it from you. That said you can cash out as soon as you've taken it if you're wanting the coins and stardust - just press the button in the top right of the shop. So you don't need to hold it for long.
What are they doing with France, seriously?
At first I thought they could have been delaying it due to what happened in Nice.

Now I'm not so sure.

OOf gym leader besides my house has pokemons over 1k CP, while my strongest, Scyther is 397. I can´t do a damn thing especially when his special attacks wiped out my pokemon in one hit. So a question, what happens when i defeat a gym leader, and put my pokemon there? Would my pokemon be attacked by other players and do they take my gym?

when you defeat a gym, it'll turn gray. you can assign 1 pokemon there. he will not be available for you to use at this time

if another team encounters your gym, it'll be their 6 on you 1. if there's more than 1 person, it'll be 12 on 1 or so on. if/when they defeat your 1 pokemon, they take the gym and you get your pokemon back, with 1 hp

if same color team encounters your gym, they can train there which is 1 on 1. if they defeat your pokemon, it'll raise the gym's prestige and possibly give them a chance to assign their own pokemon to the gym along with yours, and so on. This is how some gyms get 2, 3, 4 + pokemon assigned

the benefit of holding a gym is to cash out for 10 pokecoins and 500 stardust every 21 hours. I personally cannot hold a gym in my area for longer than 1 hour so I typically cash out immediately.

Gaspard

This Pokevision business kinda burns me out on the game, to be honest.
Why the fuck would I even go outside and explore if I can just get a pop-up notification whenever anything noteworthy spawns, and get data on it's exact location instantly.

It's making the entire process of catching them all kind of trivial.

I mean, the official tracking method in-game is broken. So this is an efficient alternative.

Yeah, people from the enemy team will be able to attack the pokemon you put in, and if the gym drops to 0 prestige, take it from you. That said you can cash out as soon as you've taken it if you're wanting the coins and stardust - just press the button in the top right of the shop. So you don't need to hold it for long.

At first I thought they could have been delaying it due to what happened in Nice.

Now I'm not so sure.

when you defeat a gym, it'll turn gray. you can assign 1 pokemon there. he will not be available for you to use at this time

if another team encounters your gym, it'll be their 6 on you 1. if there's more than 1 person, it'll be 12 on 1 or so on. if/when they defeat your 1 pokemon, they take the gym and you get your pokemon back, with 1 hp

if same color team encounters your gym, they can train there which is 1 on 1. if they defeat your pokemon, it'll raise the gym's prestige and possibly give them a chance to assign their own pokemon to the gym along with yours, and so on. This is how some gyms get 2, 3, 4 + pokemon assigned

the benefit of holding a gym is to cash out for 10 pokecoins and 500 stardust every 21 hours. I personally cannot hold a gym in my area for longer than 1 hour so I typically cash out immediately.

Thanks guys.

ironmang

It's not a glitch...

Have they said this somewhere? Because I've noticed it's random whether or not a pokemon will cause constant curveballs from me. It could be the same pokemon around the same CP too, one will cause curveballs and the other will not. I really doubt it's intentional.

Pachimari

The only new Pokemon I have caught today is a Metapod. But that's okay as I am going after all the Pidgeys, Rattatas and common Pokemon today. And also to hatch my eggs. I just want to level up.

I do hope to find a Pikachu with an an incense when I go through my parents neighborhood.

XShagrath

Why the fuck would I even go outside and explore if I can just get a pop-up notification whenever anything noteworthy spawns, and get data on it's exact location instantly.

Some people would like to play the game different ways. If you don't want to use this and use the in-game tracking feature (when it works), then do it. I get the same thrill of excitement seeing a 'mon pop up on the map as I do in-game. Now, I feel GPS spoofing is definitely against the heart of the game. But as many have said, with these google map trackers, you still need to actually go out and get the 'mon. I also have no interest in gyms, and just wanna "catch 'em all", so playing the game this way (at least for me) is not taking away the enjoyment of the game from anyone.

Have they said this somewhere? Because I've noticed it's random whether or not a pokemon will cause constant curveballs from me. It could be the same pokemon around the same CP too, one will cause curveballs and the other will not. I really doubt it's intentional.

I'm sure it's intentional with some randomness. Myself and others (who always throw curveballs) have noticed that it never occurs to us - possibly could be the game hinting to throw curveballs at higher levels.

Jesus christ, every wild Pikachu I came across this morning must have had their Wheaties because they kept escaping my pokeballs. I ACTUALLY RAN OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Thankfully there are pokestops everywhere so I don't ever need to buy some, but damn is it annoying to see these low CP mons escaping so effortlessly.

ironmang

I'm sure it's intentional with some randomness. Myself and others (who always throw curveballs) have noticed that it never occurs to us - possibly could be the game hinting to throw curveballs at higher levels.

I just don't see why that is intentional though. Random curveballs? Like what has that got to do with anything?

I think it's just a problem that they'll eventually patch. Not everything is intentional.

Just the lure system alone discourages "exploring". Plus unless you live in the city there's only so many times you can see the same set of pokestops and you need to visit pokestops all the damn time for pokeballs not to be a concern.

panda-zebra

I just don't see why that is intentional though. Random curveballs? Like what has that got to do with anything?

I think it's just a problem that they'll eventually patch. Not everything is intentional.

It's the pokemon defending, not random curveballs. Throw curveballs and you beat their defence.

Is there a cool down on how many times I can fight a gym? Because I've been trying to train one up to put my Pokemon in and have probably did 4-5 battles, am 20xp away from next level, and it just kicks me out when I try to battle :(

ironmang

It's the pokemon defending, not random curveballs. Throw curveballs and you beat their defence.

Did they say this somewhere? I'm probably not going to believe anybody who disagrees unless they provide receipts. Just the randomness where certain ones I try to catch seem to have this curveball gene doesn't seem intentional.

I don't know what the fuck is going on. I just came out for a walk, yet even though it's not crashinh, it's not tracking my location properly. My character will stand still when I'm walking, sometimes go off to the side, etc. It syncs if I reboot the app, but doesn't accurately track me in real-time.

UK here.

Chaos17

We need more Pokemon Go fanart :D

CoDO9gRVIAEvs7G.png

https://twitter.com/pummeluff39/status/756832300965298176

Is there a cool down on how many times I can fight a gym? Because I've been trying to train one up to put my Pokemon in and have probably did 4-5 battles, am 20xp away from next level, and it just kicks me out when I try to battle :(
Not sure but that kept happening to me yesterday when I hadn't even fought the gym that day. Seemed to be lots of people fighting over it at the time.

sophora

Not sure but that kept happening to me yesterday when I hadn't even fought the gym that day. Seemed to be lots of people fighting over it at the time.

From my observation, when you prestige/train-up your own team's gym there's a short 5-minute(not sure how long) cooldown on whichever pokemon you choose to train the gym with.

When taking gyms from other teams, I was able to co-op with a friend up until there was only one pokemon left. Then whenever I tried to join in, it would boot me out while my friend was fighting it alone.

panda-zebra

Did they say this somewhere? I'm probably not going to believe anybody who disagrees unless they provide receipts. Just the randomness where certain ones I try to catch seem to have this curveball gene doesn't seem intentional.

Nope, I just took it as the game getting harder as I progressed, and it's not the ones with green rings that do this, is it? It's the decent ones and higher level ones. Seems fairly obvious, but there's no receipts for this kind of stuff, they're not in the business of outlining exactly how everything works.

Accept it, throw curveballs, problem solved :)

Iceman829

PTC signups were working this morning so I have that python script working now. I tried it out and saw 2 Squirtle spawns near my house so I jumped in the car and drove to both of them and finally made squirtle my bitch. I caught an 86cp and 350cp one.

Can I forward the website to my phone while I'm out? I heard the script runs for about 30 minutes or something

TheExodu5

Banned
I set up an auto macro on my phone to automate throws. The throws are very random. Either my auto macro is incredibly inconsistent, or the game is. I often get curveball with a perfectly straight trajectory.

I really don't like the music in this game.

There's something so unpleasant about it (to me). It sounds like normal Pokémon songs being played... wrong? Like they're off key? It's hard to explain. But I had to turn the music off a long time ago because there is no melody to it. I can't stand hearing it.

This is sad for me because I love Pokémon music. I own all the albums they release on iTunes.

trugs26

The game doesn't teach much of anything. It's just one of many things that they don't teach you. Curve balls don't seem to do much. The only thing we can see is that it gives a small bonus EXP. People theorise that it increases the chance of capture. But an obvious thing is that it overcomes are "random curve balls". Since curve balls only happen after razz berries and/or on high level Pokemon, it seems reasonable that doing curve balls is a skillful thing to allow players to capture difficult to capture Pokemon.

Obviously we might be wrong, but we could say that about a lot of things in Pokemon Go, since most things aren't explicitly stated.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We need more Pokemon Go fanart :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoDO9gRVIAEvs7G.png[/MG]
[url]https://twitter.com/pummeluff39/status/756832300965298176[/url][/QUOTE]

I'm 100% okay with this situation. The more Pidgeys the better.

Looks like Niantic removed all the 20+ pokestops and 3 gyms from my local cemetery. I posted some pictures of it a few days ago.

Stopped by there this morning and it's completely deserted with this sign:

I understand their decision to remove everything as the game brought a lot of traffic, but I'm in the suburbs and it was the best place to go without driving 40 minutes to the city. While there were lots of cars and people, everyone always seemed respectful. There were lots of families with their children and even couples pushing around baby strollers on the grounds.

ironmang

Nope, I just took it as the game getting harder as I progressed, and it's not the ones with green rings that do this, is it? It's the decent ones and higher level ones. Seems fairly obvious, but there's no receipts for this kind of stuff, they're not in the business of outlining exactly how everything works.

Accept it, throw curveballs, problem solved :)

Sometimes I'll throw 5+ balls to catch a mid 400s pikachu where half of them will cause mostly curveballs and the others will not cause a single. Same color ring, same pokemon, same swipe technique, same phone, etc.

Like, they already fucked up the tracker. You don't believe there's like even the slightest chance that random curveballs are a glitch?

And yes, they absolutely are in the business of answering questions about common problems people seem to be experiencing. A simple "it's intentional there's nothing to patch" would stop the debate.

Since curve balls only happen after razz berries and/or on high level Pokemon.

Just happened on a very low level, non-berried squirtle for me.

Sometimes I'll throw 5+ balls to catch a mid 400s pikachu where half of them will cause mostly curveballs and the others will not cause a single. Same color ring, same pokemon, same swipe technique, same phone, etc.

Like, they already fucked up the tracker. You don't believe there's like even the slightest chance that random curveballs are a glitch?

And yes, they absolutely are in the business of answering questions about common problems people seem to be experiencing. A simple "it's intentional there's nothing to patch" would stop the debate.

Why aren't you doing your own curveballs regardless?

Zafir

At least you can just always curve ball to avoid it.

More my problem is how many low CP pokemon with a green circle suggesting they're easy to catch, arbitrarily break out of balls. I've had Zubats with a low CP for my level(ie under 100) break out of Nice or Great throws in a row for no reason, same with pidgy and weedle. All it does is make me not want to play the game, because I don't live in an area I can just walk around getting pokestops every couple of steps.

I've read a story yesterday of cemetery where idiots sprayed grafittis... I wonder if it was your cemetery but no name was given.

I don't think it's the same place. At least, I saw nothing in my local news and saw nothing like that when I drove through it this morning. Looks like some others have been removed after looking around reddit. Maybe they'll remove all cemeteries?

Chaos17

I don't think it's the same place. At least, I saw nothing in my local news and saw nothing like that when I drove through it this morning. Looks like some others have been removed after looking around reddit. Maybe they'll remove all cemeteries?

So far, people have to fill a request to ask to be withdraw. Lot of cemeteries (and families) indeed don't like Pokemon Go to be played over there.
I hope for you that Niantics will soon re-open submissions for pokespots/gyms.

As someone who is dabbled into programming, this is not something that would `randomly` happen. You'll notice in this scenario where the balls are curving, there is also strong wind effects in the background IIRC. I doubt this is a happy coincidence that there are strong wind effects and the ball is swerving to that side.

ironmang

As someone who is dabbled into programming, this is not something that would `randomly` happen. You'll notice in this scenario where the balls are curving, there is also strong wind effects in the background IIRC. I doubt this is a happy coincidence that there are strong wind effects and the ball is swerving to that side.

Like every post has a different theory lol. And I've seen it happen both sides on the same pokemon.

Like every post has a different theory lol. And I've seen it happen both sides on the same pokemon.

When you next have it happen, notice if there is strong wind `gusts` in the background around the pokemon, as I can't remember if this is true or not. Also try turning sound on, to see if there is any difference in music/sound effects.

hydruxo

Looks like Niantic removed all the 20+ pokestops and 3 gyms from my local cemetery. I posted some pictures of it a few days ago.

Stopped by there this morning and it's completely deserted with this sign:

I understand their decision to remove everything as the game brought a lot of traffic, but I'm in the suburbs and it was the best place to go without driving 40 minutes to the city. While there were lots of cars and people, everyone always seemed respectful. There were lots of families with their children and even couples pushing around baby strollers on the grounds.

Even if people are being respectful, I still think the act of playing games around a cemetary in and of itself is a bit disrespectful. Niantic made the right move IMO.

Zafir

I never do curveballs either apart from the 10 extra xp it doesn't seem to have any advantages over just throwing it straight, which is much more straightforward.

Well, the point is to learn to do it when using Great Balls or Ultra Balls, because they seem to be more inclined to curve randomly. If you control the curve yourself, it stops that happening.

Pokeballs it doesn't matter either way really, more just a way to practice for Great/Ultras.
Even if people are being respectful, I still think the act of playing games around a cemetary in and of itself is a bit disrespectful. Niantic made the right move IMO.
I'm inclined to agree, but I don't think they should have flat out removed a load of stops. They should have put replacements around the area if that was the only source of them. The games a bit meh without stops or gyms.

kubus

I agree the curveball "glitch" is really annoying. I used to carry around 100 poke / great balls and even had to throw them away to make room in my bag but ever since I got to lvl 15 I keep running out of poke balls because every ball I throw gets curved. I always aim for Nice/Great/Excellent throws so it's really annoying.

I only have 15 great balls left :/

ironmang

When you next have it happen, notice if there is strong wind `gusts` in the background around the pokemon, as I can't remember if this is true or not. Also try turning sound on, to see if there is any difference in music/sound effects.

Well, I'm on #teamglitch so you do that stuff and report back to me lol. I already said it curved both sides on the same pokemon for me.

panda-zebra

I never do curveballs either apart from the 10 extra xp it doesn't seem to have any advantages over just throwing it straight, which is much more straightforward.

Which is fine until you level up and you have to throw your own.

I agree the curveball "glitch" is really annoying. I used to carry around 100 poke / great balls and even had to throw them away to make room in my bag but ever since I got to lvl 15 I keep running out of poke balls because every ball I throw gets curved. I always aim for Nice/Great/Excellent throws so it's really annoying.

I only have 15 great balls left :/

They get deflected, not curved. You curve, they go where you put them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom