• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've knocked something together, would appreciate some feedback on accuracy (intended as a page to use on a phone with browser). Geo-location services should be enabled.

Please quote to see the temporary URL (hope this quote-to-see thing works)

please don't pass it around as I'll pull the URL at any time to make improvements or deploy elsewhere. the url is temporary. Please don't hammer the refresh button either..

geo-location on Safari works if enabled in preferences, but can be weirdly slow for me and gives a time out error - even if it then works later. Anyway its for mobile. for obvious reasons.

Well, I'm on #teamglitch so you do that stuff and report back to me lol. I already said it curved both sides on the same pokemon for me.

It hasn't happened to me once since level 10 (prior to level 10 I didn't throw curveballs), I'm now level 22 and have been throwing curveballs since level 10. I'm not going to give up my way to test something that seems to me very apparent is not a glitch, I'll happily keep on throwing curveballs and not wasting my balls :p

ironmang

It hasn't happened to me once since level 10 (prior to level 10 I didn't throw curveballs), I'm now level 22 and have been throwing curveballs since level 10. I'm not going to give up my way to test something that seems to me very apparent is not a glitch, I'll happily keep on throwing curveballs and not wasting my balls :p

Receipts denied I see.

Just want to say I notice it also gives me curveball bonus on balls that didn't curve too. Might be related.

i really wish they could mix-up the spawns of some Pokemon
all anyone in Toronto complains about (including myself) is that you'll 95% of the time just see Drowzees
every gym will have at least one Hypno in it

hell, someone even made a knock-off of the "_____vs Everybody" shirt for Drowzees because its getting so bad
http://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/t-shirt/men/toronto-vs-drowzee-white-on-black/277006/

I need to come visit.

Caught three Drowzee's total and never seen a Hypno on a gym or anything.

Costia

I think it's a bug, it's just not clear what kind of bug.
Either it's not the intended behavior at all or the animation/popup informing the player is not working.
In all other events in the game you get either an animation or a text notification like the Pokemon running away, jumping/moving or the gym defender using a special move.
Yet in this case the curved ball is random. So i think it's either not supposed to curve, or you were supposed to get some kind of an indication of what happened that isn't working.

Edit: having the current behavior, without any notification, as the intended behavior is unlikely since giving feedback to the player is 101 of game design.

Chaos17

Cute trainer fanart.

CoBPleGWEAAIvnl.png
https://twitter.com/artricahearts/status/756692296930910208

Any special moves I need to prevent "the user opted not to share..." - the game runs here, pokevision does also - what so I have to do in chrome to make it work on my phone?

For IOS Safari at least, in Preferences, in Privacy, Location Services has to be enabled for the browser, then the browser asks if you allow sharing the location. I have not tried other browsers or Android to see what is on or off by default or how to enable.

It uses the HTML5 geo-location API which should be widely supported:
http://caniuse.com/#feat=geolocation

It is probably off by default ? not sure.

here is what it does if geo-location works

EnwDpKN.png

Darryl

Banned
i really wish they could mix-up the spawns of some Pokemon
all anyone in Toronto complains about (including myself) is that you'll 95% of the time just see Drowzees
every gym will have at least one Hypno in it

hell, someone even made a knock-off of the "_____vs Everybody" shirt for Drowzees because its getting so bad
http://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/t-shirt/men/toronto-vs-drowzee-white-on-black/277006/

while it isn't that bad here, we have an eggxecutor problem. gyms are always Eevee forms and eggxecutor's. can probably scope out what pokemon an area has rq by scoping the gyms

panda-zebra

For IOS Safari at least, in Preferences, in Privacy, Location Services has to be enabled for the browser, then the browser asks if you allow sharing the location. I have not tried other browsers or Android to see what is on or off by default or how to enable.

It uses the HTML5 geo-location API which should be widely supported:
http://caniuse.com/#feat=geolocation

It is probably off by default ? not sure.

I'm using droid. With pokevision in chrome, I get a little pin in the top right that I can enable, it then picks out my location and I can search. My device is set to allow location but ask first - there doesn't seem to be an option to blanket enable it by default. I'll look in developer options.

I'm using droid. With pokevision in chrome, I get a little pin in the top right that I can enable, it then picks out my location and I can search. My device is set to allow location but ask first - there doesn't seem to be an option to blanket enable it by default. I'll look in developer options.

hm, ok thanks.
I turned on enableHighAccuracy in the javascript I read that fixes some issues with Android but I don't know if it will help you.
I appreciate the effort trying this though don't waste time on it because I can probably just look at some examples of working geo-location pages with Android, and figure it out.

Darryl

Banned
This Pokevision business kinda burns me out on the game, to be honest.
Why the fuck would I even go outside and explore if I can just get a pop-up notification whenever anything noteworthy spawns, and get data on it's exact location instantly.

It's making the entire process of catching them all kind of trivial.

yea. it destroys the foundation of the game. I didn't think anything could stop this monster of a game but rampant cheating, yea, possibly.

yea. it destroys the foundation of the game. I didn't think anything could stop this monster of a game but rampant cheating, yea, possibly.

You mean the foundation Niantic themselves destroyed by disabling the tracker? Many people wouldn't be using these programs if it were functional. At least I wouldn't.

Galang

Banned
Is there a good spot in DT Toronto where lots of players go? Lots of pokestops and variety of pokemon as well? I'm thinking of making a trip by myself later, but wanted to pick the right spot. Don't know the area that well

Majukun

ehi,nobody forces you to use it,and as long as the actual radar in the game doesn't work,it's not like we have much of a choice

it also helped us understand better how this game works

ehi,nobody forces you to use it,and as long as the actual radar in the game doesn't work,it's not like we have much of a choice

I think even if the nearby tab was functioning (the server is delivering all data at 200m distance, which equates to 3 foot prints), we'd still the same situation with vision sites and so on. Niantic are not controlling their API use which isn't helping.

If it were google maps for instance, a "free" API key is severely limited in the number of requests it can do before getting shut down.

woopWOOP

My city also has a drowzee problem.
I've been meaning to ask, what are these maps and how can I look at a similar map of my area?

Past few days the app seems to have some problems getting my location right upon booting. My avatar starts too far away from my location, runs towards my location, goes further past my location and then suddenly turns around and does the same again a few times. I don't mind tho, catching a few extra wild monsters while still lying in bed isn't so bad!

I think even if the nearby tab was functioning (the server is delivering all data at 200m distance, which equates to 3 foot prints), we'd still the same situation with vision sites and so on. Niantic are not controlling their API use which isn't helping.

If it were google maps for instance, a "free" API key is severely limited in the number of requests it can do before getting shut down.

in other words, Niantic gonna lock down HARD on poke spotting sites and scripts, probably sooner rather than later.

robochimp

I've knocked something together, would appreciate some feedback on accuracy (intended as a page to use on a phone with browser). Geo-location services should be enabled.

The list of Pokemon seems dead on for my area, I'll get out for another walk later today and check out the closest 5 or so.

I'm on iOS

Wollan

Servers have been excellent for me today. I'm surprised with Japan being live and memories of last Saturday. Maybe the game can be considered... stable come next week?

I hatched these guys for the first time today:

Also received my third ever Pikachu from a hatch.

The list of Pokemon seems dead on for my area, I'll get out for another walk later today and check out the closest 5 or so.

I'm on iOS
Cheers, ideally I want the list once generated to recalc the distances as you move with the browser open. I think that's an easy add, but one I will do tomorrow some time.

Pachimari

Servers have been excellent for me today. I'm surprised with Japan being live and memories of last Saturday. Maybe the game can be considered... stable come next week?

I hatched these guys for the first time today:

Also received my third ever Pikachu from a hatch.
Most of my hatches have been crap. But I did catch this one randomly in the wild. Also got myself a Metapod and a Ponyta.

Darryl

Banned

blaming the in game radar is such an excuse. even if the radar was working, this app would still be popular, and if I asked this same question I would be met with someone else saying "the radar glitches" or "not our fault the radar sucks", or even if it's in perfect condition - the classic "you don't have to use it".

yea, nobody forces me to use it. no one is forcing me to play Pokemon either. it's not a single player game. it's an online social game with competitive elements. I like taking gyms over. I'm gonna be at a clear disadvantage against people using cheats, now. like the p2p elements weren't doing enough damage as it was. so that's a way other people using it impacts me. but it isn't the main reason this app sucks

the apps permeance makes it so I can't enjoy the game the way it was designed. this game creates a mystery, "I wonder what pokemon are over there", and if someone offers an app to solve it instantly it destroys the fun. cuz either I use the app and the mystery is instantly unveiled without having to put any work in, or I don't use it and put myself at a forced handicap and then when things aren't going well, it nags at me and I wonder what the fuck I'm even doing playing the game anymore. this game has no meat outside of the elements of this game this app destroys AT ALL. it is entirely about exploring. the awareness of the app (reasonably) causes stress. so it's fine if like, you wanna use it and all, but I'm not crazy for hating the fact that people are using it. I enjoyed the game beforehand, and going into downtown/parks/springs and those areas in different towns and seeing what pokemon were there. you're gonna have a hard time convincing me to drive all the way to a new area to see what pokemon are there when I can simply use an app

Zafir

in other words, Niantic gonna lock down HARD on poke spotting sites and scripts, probably sooner rather than later.

I'm sure, like many companies, they'll hammer down hard on them before they even think about fixing their own shit.

Botting/scripting is a problem, but frankly Pokevision and those kind of apps are a small issue when you consider the near by list is just useless. It doesn't update enough(probably trying to make sure the servers are stable) and the fact it doesn't give any distance indicator just means you're wandering around aimlessly, combined with the first issue you're wondering around aimlessly finding a pokemon that may or may not even be there.
blaming the in game radar is such an excuse. even if the radar was working, this app would still be popular, and if I asked this same question I would be met with someone else saying "the radar glitches" or "not our fault the radar sucks", or even if it's in perfect condition - the classic "you don't have to use it".

yea, nobody forces me to use it. no one is forcing me to play Pokemon either. it's not a single player game. it's an online social game with competitive elements. I like taking gyms over. I'm gonna be at a clear disadvantage against people using cheats, now. like the p2p elements weren't doing enough damage as it was. so that's a way other people using it impacts me. but it isn't the main reason this app sucks

the apps permeance makes it so I can't enjoy the game the way it was designed. this game creates a mystery, "I wonder what pokemon are over there", and if someone offers an app to solve it instantly it destroys the fun. cuz either I use the app and the mystery is instantly unveiled without having to put any work in, or I don't use it and put myself at a forced handicap and then when things aren't going well, it nags at me and I wonder what the fuck I'm even doing playing the game anymore. this game has no meat outside of the elements of this game this app destroys AT ALL. it is entirely about exploring. the awareness of the app (reasonably) causes stress. so it's fine if like, you wanna use it and all, but I'm not crazy for hating the fact that people are using it. I enjoyed the game beforehand, and going into downtown/parks/springs and those areas in different towns and seeing what pokemon were there. you're gonna have a hard time convincing me to drive all the way to a new area to see what pokemon are there when I can simply use an app

You can't play it how it was meant to be played anyway at the moment.

They need to fix their game before they start going after third parties. I'm not against them going after them after they do.

Pachimari

I feel like it's a shit thing to use the maps around to find your Pokemon, but to each their own, it doesn't impact my experience. I can only talk for myself, and I'm walking around looking at which Pokemon move up and down on the radar, and I have found quite a few Pokemon I didn't have before by going to places I haven't been to.

A nearby gym only had a level 10 Rattata. I took it over and stuck my 212 Charmander there. He will get knocked out quickly but he'll get XP or whatever.

Biske

I feel like it's a shit thing to use the maps around to find your Pokemon, but to each their own, it doesn't impact my experience. I can only talk for myself, and I'm walking around looking at which Pokemon move up and down on the radar, and I have found quite a few Pokemon I didn't have before by going to places I haven't been to.

Yeah I don't understand what fun the game is for people at that point... as its kind of all that there is to the game. (Battles are trivial, lets get real)

Darryl

Banned
I'm sure, like many companies, they'll hammer down hard on them before they even think about fixing their own shit.

Botting/scripting is a problem, but frankly Pokevision and those kind of apps are a small issue when you consider the near by list is just useless. It doesn't update enough(probably trying to make sure the servers are stable) and the fact it doesn't give any distance indicator just means you're wandering around aimlessly, combined with the first issue you're wondering around aimlessly finding a pokemon that may or may not even be there.

You can't play it how it was meant to be played anyway at the moment.

They need to fix their game before they start going after third parties. I'm not against them going after them after they do.

the game is playable, tho. you can walk anywhere and catch Pokemon. the radar is not a core feature of the game. shit wasn't ever in working condition, anyways. it's always fucked me up. the monsters linger way too long and it's impossible to measure exactly how far they were. knowing if they were 0-2 paw prints is barely helpful bc those are pokemon you're about to walk right into

because of the way people move (typically in one direction for awhile, say you're walking N), the Pokemon appearing on your radar are typically N of you since that's the direction you're making gains in. they're rarely S because otherwise you would have passed it. the odds are if you were using the radars before, you were just fucking yourself up by stopping and going E or W in search of the Pokemon and then it disappears anyways when it was straight on your path. I've consistently found pokemon on my radar by just ignoring the illusion of the radar and playing anyways.

Are Dratini actually rare?

I found a nest of them near my uni. Everytime I cycle by there's a Dratini there.

They seem to have hotspots.

There's a lake a couple hours away, that just looking at PokeVision now has 5 sitting around the perimeter.

I should go down on a day off haha.

Anarion07

On native mobile apps the google maps requests are NOT limited
My app GlobeSnap has google maps integrated, and there is no limit whatsoever

The only thing pokevision has proved for me is there is jack shit in my city 99% of the time.

Real talk: Poke Vision isn't always that reliable. It doesn't show every Pokemon. Hell I have a pikachu on my radar, but it's not showing up on vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom