• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is pokevision the best mobile pokemon finder? I like using the python script, but unless I want to tether it to my phone and drive around as it refreshes (which is my plan), I'd prefer to nail down the pokemon I don't have with something just on my phone.

My neighborhood has a huge Doduo problem. Like not even exaggerating when I say I've evolved more Doduos than Rattatas.

What are the rarer Pokemon? I've collected a few now, maybe 30 different types, but no idea what's rare, if anything.

Or is there a good subreddit or something? I literally know nothing about Pokemon except it's like digital cock/dog fighting and one of them is called pickachu and gets angry.

Visceir

How have people's experiences with lures been? Is it easy to get rare pokemon through lures or is it just mostly a method to pidgey/weedle farm?

Permanently A

What are the rarer Pokemon? I've collected a few now, maybe 30 different types, but no idea what's rare, if anything.

Or is there a good subreddit or something? I literally know nothing about Pokemon except it's like digital cock/dog fighting and one of them is called pickachu and gets angry.

Rarity charts aren't really useful because they're region dependent. Like I'm drowning in Doduos while others have never seen one. But there are generally some accepted to be rarer like Dragonite and Snorlax.

How have people's experiences with lures been? Is it easy to get rare pokemon through lures or is it just mostly a method to pidgey/weedle farm?

The latter. Rarest thing I've seen from a lure was a Flareon.

Wouldn't be surprised if they released an advanced lure that pulls rarer or out of region pokemon to you.

Pachimari

Now a Cubone and a Pikachu showed up in the neighborhood again. I even used a lure and incense to try and lure one out, without luck. I'm not going home before I have caught either one of those.

Zafir

the game is playable, tho. you can walk anywhere and catch Pokemon. the radar is not a core feature of the game. shit wasn't ever in working condition, anyways. it's always fucked me up. the monsters linger way too long and it's impossible to measure exactly how far they were. knowing if they were 0-2 paw prints is barely helpful bc those are pokemon you're about to walk right into

because of the way people move (typically in one direction for awhile, say you're walking N), the Pokemon appearing on your radar are typically N of you since that's the direction you're making gains in. they're rarely S because otherwise you would have passed it. the odds are if you were using the radars before, you were just fucking yourself up by stopping and going E or W in search of the Pokemon and then it disappears anyways when it was straight on your path. I've consistently found pokemon on my radar by just ignoring the illusion of the radar and playing anyways.
Sure you can just run around capturing pokemon anyway, but if you're specifically trying to find something it can become a bit difficult, and time consuming trying to find one. What you're saying is only true for some of the Pokemon on your radar though, not all of them are necessarily north. You can judge that they're north regarding their movement in the list, sure. That leads me to the issue I already mentioned before though, where the radar just doesn't update fast enough sometimes, probably a limitation they put in alongside the loss of distance tracking to keep the servers running well. When the radar isn't updating positioning, it becomes harder to judge which direction they are.

Either way, I'm still of the opinion they should fix their own game before they start going after other people. Yes they make the game imbalanced, but you know what the game is already imbalanced. Some people live on pokespots meaning they get infinite pokeballs. Some people live in cities where there's circles of pokestops with lures that you can farm on for hours.
Is pokevision the best mobile pokemon finder? I like using the python script, but unless I want to tether it to my phone and drive around as it refreshes (which is my plan), I'd prefer to nail down the pokemon I don't have with something just on my phone.
I've never even managed to get Pokevision to work where I live, so I personally don't think it's much use on mobile.

You're probably better looking at the pokemondev reddit. I heard there was a windows app which will give you a link to use on your mobile. Some people were giving out links they'd generated in this thread yesterday.

Rarity charts aren't really useful because they're region dependent. Like I'm drowning in Doduos while others have never seen one. But there are generally some accepted to be rarer like Dragonite and Snorlax.

Ok cool, thanks. I wonder if someone will do a mega scrape of the servers and then retrofit which Pokemon are likely to appear in which habitats.

I seem to get a lot of the bat things in my village.

L Thammy

I used one today - need to sit in place and study, in range of a Pokestop - and I managed to get a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't have before. Electabuzz, Paras, Tauros, Metapod, and Geodude. Use a Lucky Egg too. Plus, sitting in front of a Pokestop for a while helps you resupply.

Permanently A

Now a Cubone and a Pikachu showed up in the neighborhood again. I even used a lure and incense to try and lure one out, without luck. I'm not going home before I have caught either one of those.

Lure and incense don't work like that, they spawn independent of what is in the nearby list. Use something like Pokevision on a different account to sniff it out. Or PM me your coordinates and I'll give you a map of nearby mons.

Darryl

Banned

lots of the single form, two form pokemon are rarer. the ones later in the Pokedex. the early ones are all common

I wish you all the best of luck.

I walked my huskies a unprecedented amount yesterday trying to catch a Pikachu that just would not get closer..
He was second on the list constantly like the little fucker was running ahead of me :'(

Pachimari

Lure and incense don't work like that, they spawn independent of what is in the nearby list. Use something like Pokevision on a different account to sniff it out. Or PM me your coordinates and I'll give you a map of nearby mons.
No, I don't want to use Pokevision or those maps. It takes the fun out of it. Thank you for the offer though.

I wish you all the best of luck.

I walked my huskies a unprecedented amount yesterday trying to catch a Pikachu that just would not get closer..
He was second on the list constantly like the little fucker was running ahead of me :'(
I did catch a Pikachu some days ago but then I got the server error when the servers were still a mess. Which totally sucked. So now I'm extra aggressive in finding a Pikachu. And a Cubone as that is my favorite Pokemon.

JCH!

What is the range of the Lures? I live in range of a Pokestop, will that be enough for me to get the full effect? Or do I have to chill under the cherry blossom leaves for the Pokemon to show up?

Zafir

What is the range of the Lures? I live in range of a Pokestop, will that be enough for me to get the full effect? Or do I have to chill under the cherry blossom leaves for the Pokemon to show up?

Being in range of it is fine. You don't have to be under it or anything.

Dystify

If you can activate the pokestop from where you are it's usually close enough. If Pokemon appear on the location where a lure was used you're fine.

robochimp

Anyone in the Milwaukee area check out Honey Creek Park in West Allis. It's a tiny park with historical markers which translates to 9 pokestops all in range of each other with people constantly throwing down lures.

Chiramii

Anyone in the Milwaukee area check out Honey Creek Park in West Allis. It's a tiny park with historical markers which translates to 9 pokestops all in range of each other with people constantly throwing down lures.
Shit like this make me depressed knowing i have to walk 4km to get to the nearest one in my area. After that is another 11km before I see a noticable amount of PokéStops. Time for me to move
permanently

I think I may have found a Growlithe nest in my area. They seem to spawn once or twice a day at the same location, not a lot but it'll come in handy.

goldensun

Holy moly, I caught a 100% perfect IV Snorlax with Lick last night..

Praise RNGesus.

It's only at 44 CP though LOL. Lots of leveling to do.

number11

I love walking from one pokestop lure to another, and discovering cool places you've never been before.

I think this is the first Saturday the game has been running all day in the UK. I was at a spot that spawned a couple of rare Pokemon, and it's pretty hilarious seeing the amount of people reacting to it.

Zafir

Holy moly, I caught a 100% perfect IV Snorlax with Lick last night..

Praise RNGesus.

It's only at 44 CP though LOL. Lots of leveling to do.

My Snorlax with Lick was like 200 when I got it from an egg. It's not IV perfect, it's like 60% or something. Still levelled it up and using it though, it's so good against all the Hypno's in gyms around here. xD

Red Fire

Sooooo i just wanted to say

Just had that pokemon-stuck-in-a-pokeball-so-you-have-to-restart thing but it respawned just after that and i caught it

And except for this little instance it has been smooth like butter for me these last 2 days I'm really positively surprised

Good job Niantic, keep it like this please (plus remove the only 3 step thing) and i will be reaaaaally happy

javac

I was in the passenger seat and I drove past this:
qKjm3z9.png
KILL ME

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I love walking from one pokestop lure to another, and discovering cool places you've never been before.

I think this is the first Saturday the game has been running all day in the UK. I was at a spot that spawned a couple of rare Pokemon, and it's pretty hilarious seeing the amount of people reacting to it.
The coolest things are these murals I never knew about throughout Nashville.

AdanVC

Ok I was testing the Pokevision website and I can confirm this thing is legit! It actually works and describes perfectly the exact time when a Pokemon despawns. I have an Exeggcute now thanks to that! Will continue use it until Niantic fixes the nearby function because doing this feels like cheating but I'm tired of never know where to go when an attractive Pokemon appears on the nearby list because of the three step bug.

ViciousDS

Banned
alright did my vaporeon and the list shows this

It's 1698 at level 20 Power Up is 3k and its powered up completely atm and has 166 hp

Level Attack Defence Stamina Perfection
21.5 15 13 8 80.0%
22.0 11 14 5 66.7%
22.0 14 8 6 62.2%
22.5 11 8 2 46.7%
22.5 15 1 2 40.0%
22.5 9 11 3 51.1%

Do I have like a near perfect Vaporeon or some shit?

So

Vaporeon
CP: 1698
HP 166
Next power up is 3k
It's maxed out completely
I'm level 20.5

No idea what the percentages are

HT UK

Go the Python script running locally and have it linked to my phone.

Only issue currently is that the Pokemon Go app goes back to the loading screen if I swap to web browser for more than a few seconds. Wish it'd just stay running/logged in!

Durden77

Got drunk as shit and bar crawled with my buddies last night in East Atlanta, all 3 of us catching Pokemon all night. We met people, we yelled at people, we high fived people. It was so good.

Tall4Life

All Pokevision really does is make me mad, angry, and disappointed when I open it and it defaults to the Santa Monica Pier, and then I look at my area and see one pidgey :p

ViciousDS

Banned
did servers just take a shit?

edit: nvm don't know what that was

Pokemon weren't loading but I could go through the menus and everything.

Tapped a bellsprout and it was just open air.....he wasn't even on the screen lol

ViciousDS

Banned
All Rattatas and and Caterpies in my area wave their hands.

EDIT: On a side note, I can't believe this happened and never found where the hell this guy was hiding downtown a few days ago...

Sxkhcaz.png

if you see that shit

post your coordinates here and we might be able to help!

My coworker put one down at the end of our shift in the gazebo at work. We saw a handful of people come but mostly weedles, pidgey, caterpie and venonat appeared. He even had a incense on at didn't get much.

Before that though, someone had one down there and I found Scyther. I haven't used any of mine yet, but when I get some friends together I probably will.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how many people are playing. I was reading something I think here or somewhere else where someone mentioned that the more foot traffic an area has, the more likely Pokemon are to spawn there. That's why you'll find them a lot in publicly traveled places.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Geminosity recommended I added some IV calculator stuff to the first post. I made buttons to link the two. Are there other things you guys would like to see added? I was thinking of adding PokeVision and that other thing there, whats the link to that so I have it handy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom