• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSFan

it just doesn't make any sense to me why a fully evolved Pokemon rewards the same candy as a base one

Like literally makes 0 sense

I completely agree. It really makes no sense. I did notice you get quite a bit of candies when you hatch a pokemon. I caught a Ponyta then hatched 2 more from eggs and was able to evolve one to a Rapidash rather quickly.

Calm Mind

CoEQqJcWEAArWQU.jpg
CoEQqJgWAAAugaf.jpg

Come visit NYC! We have Pokemon everywhere.

Articalys

See, that NYC map is exactly the kind of thing that makes me wonder why I'm even bothering to play the game when I live in the burbs.

This game was balanced to give the greatest benefit to players in dense, urban downtown locations, and fuck everybody else.

Come visit NYC! We have Pokemon everywhere.

It's been way too humid for me to make the trek to the city, but that Central Park pic is enticing.

That said, I only see one Pikachu in that map. If anyone in NYC is hurting for some Pikachu, hit up Sunset Park in Brooklyn. It's a Pikachu nest.

Oersted

See, that NYC map is exactly the kind of thing that makes me wonder why I'm even bothering to play the game when I live in the burbs.

This game was balanced to give the greatest benefit to players in dense, urban downtown locations, and fuck everybody else.

It is based on Ingress where people uploaded places as gates, now Pokestops.

The amount of sheanigans when they allow it for Pokemon is going to be fun.

Saw posters by Sky, the TV channel.

"You are looking for Pokemon. We got them."

So, am I the only one, who seems to hitting a wall in terms of my pokedex ?

I walk regularly in my city, have 44 seen and caught but last three days just repeats. I hatch eggs and hit as many poke stops as possible, im lv 14 too, but I don't see how I can ever get near completing my pokedex at this rate. Do I need to travel elsewhere? Is it possible to find them all by staying in my city ? Incence helped at the start, lures just get me repeats.

Does anyone have problems with the GPS tracker? Most of the time my avatar will stay in the same place or walk a few steps until I've advanced a big distance, then he just runs or teleports there. Other times it just teleports to a completely different area. It's annoying.

I've tested this on two phones and the problem seems to persist. I'll test it on Monday when I get my phone back.

EL CUCO

Does the game keep track of how many of each different type of candy you have regardless of whether you have that type of Mon or not?

Visceir

Does anyone have problems with the GPS tracker? Most of the time my avatar will stay in the same place or walk a few steps until I've advanced a big distance, then he just runs or teleports there. Other times it just teleports to a completely different area. It's annoying.

I've tested this on two phones and the problem seems to persist. I'll test it on Monday when I get my phone back.

The GPS work off servers as well and those can get busy and crash as well, has little to do with your phone or your end.

So, am I the only one, who seems to hitting a wall in terms of my pokedex ?

I walk regularly in my city, have 44 seen and caught but last three days just repeats. I hatch eggs and hit as many poke stops as possible, im lv 14 too, but I don't see how I can ever get near completing my pokedex at this rate. Do I need to travel elsewhere? Is it possible to find them all by staying in my city ? Incence helped at the start, lures just get me repeats.

It heavily depends on where you live, but getting more incubators and hatching more eggs is probably the best way to go about getting new pokemon and evolving existing ones. There will be some pokemon that only spawn once per day for 15 min in very specific spawn locations, can't really expect to ever catch those.

Mr Swine

Banned
It is intended to force you to learn to throw your own curveballs which override the effect. It's fun too

It's not fun when it curves to the left and when you throw it to override the effect and it curves to the right and vice versa. It happened 30 minutes ago, I lost about 10 balls before I could throw it straight again

Visceir

It's not fun when it curves to the left and when you throw it to override the effect and it curves to the right and vice versa. It happened 30 minutes ago, I lost about 10 balls before I could throw it straight again

If you throw a curve-ball then you can determine yourself to which side it curves. I usually throw curve-balls from the edge of the screen so they land in center. Never really had any issues with it.

Betty

Banned
Out late searching for pokemon in an area of old folks homes when I hear what I assume to be an old woman screaming in pain, her dogs are barking at the window, tv paused, no response when I call out.

I panic, call the neighbours, they dont even answer me since it's so late and they're all old.

Finally the woman comes out to reassure me, she's very much healthy, not at all old, in a dressing gown, giggling with embarrassment... I think she was with her boyfriend so... yeah.

Mortifying.

MANUELF

Banned
Caugth a Gloom, Abra, Caterpie and Ekans today, the Gloom especially is super powerful, my strongest pokemon right now, also hatched a magikarp :D

Articalys

It is based on Ingress where people uploaded places as gates, now Pokestops.
The main difference being that Ingress was a super-niche thing, with a tenth of a hundredth of a fraction of a percent of the popularity and potential audience of Pokemon.

And reopening user-submitted locations might fix the paucity in more remote areas, but it's also probably going to increase the density in already-rich urban areas as well, which will just maintain the imbalance.

zroid

Banned
The main difference being that Ingress was a super-niche thing, with a tenth of a hundredth of a fraction of a percent of the popularity and potential audience of Pokemon.

And reopening user-submitted locations might fix the paucity in more remote areas, but it's also probably going to increase the density in already-rich urban areas as well, which will just maintain the imbalance.

I assume at some point Niantic will hire a dedicated team to work on user submissions, and figure out which ones make sense and such. Probably will take some time to get all that sorted out.

PSFan

I had breakfast at Cracker Barrell this morning and I was thinking that restaurants would be the best places to have pokestops. While having your meal, you could be spinning them and getting stuff, and also pop a lure to have pokemon pop up too.

Pilgrimzero

Seeing this just makes me not want to play the game.

I have been using Pokevision to look around my city and its neighbors. Its pretty thin poke spawn wise. And stop wise (from what ive seen myself)

Unless you go to a college campus or park where the normal spawns are still thin but at least have a lot of lured stops

I have been using Pokevision to look around my city and its neighbors. Its pretty thin poke spawn wise. And stop wise (from what ive seen myself)

Unless you go to a college campus or park where the normal spawns are still thin but at least have a lot of lured stops
I've got whatever actual game I'm playing open on one monitor, and the python code scanning the area around me on the other monitor. If something worthwhile shows up, I'll head out and get it, then come back. This doesn't happen often though, and frequently doesn't even happen the entire day.

Meanwhile I just scanned Tokyo, and there's like 20+ Pokemon I haven't caught yet within a single scan.

Makes me wonder about some of the things the dev said in that AMA awhile back, where he was disappointed some things in the game weren't as intuitive as they'd intended.

At what point do they decide, "hey, let's make the ball randomly curve sometimes without any indication as to what direction it will curve, and allow the player to assume they just threw the ball wrong rather than it being an actual game mechanic."

rschauby

Banned

Exactly how I feel.

I'm wasting my time out here in the burbs. Even my "hot" spots aren't even a fraction of that.

MANUELF

Banned

They already review the submissions so they only need to deny the ones on areas that have wayyyyyyyy too many pokestop already

Septimius

I think it's stupid to this heavily weight density up to Pokémon occurrence. My fiancée was downtown today, and she sat in one place for hours, collecting a cornucopia of Pokémon. Why have a system where if there are enough people you don't have to move? They're overpopulated with Pokéstops, there are always lures active and there are already a ton of Pokémon.

Why? It doesn't make any sense that it should be easier to play the game if you live in a higher density area. Perhaps if you could encounter something like twice or three times as many Pokémon in high density areas than other places, it'd still create an incentive to go there, but you literally trip over Pokémon the way it is now. It must kill the magic in places like New York.

Pachimari

Today I caught a Scyther thanks to a incense, a Tentacruel, Ponyta, Exeggcute and a Metapod, I'm satisfied.

Just need that Pikachu, Cubone and Goldduck tomorrow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's cause Ingress was an urban game and they're building this on top of the Ingress mechanics. It's a fundamental disconnect with what Pokemon represents as a fantasy (rural/wilderness exploration).

As much as I like the game I think they'd have to retool it from the ground up to equalize it for all audiences.

mcz117chief

I went to a Pokémon GO event in my country to see how popular the game is (and to actually see how the game looks like). I don't have a phone so I couldn't participate but I at least took Pokéwalker with me so that I wouldn't be totally out. I was surprised by how many people actually showed up, it must have been at least 60 people! I was expecting between 10 and 20. It was in the capital, at 3pm on Saturday and it was all over facebook so I guess the high attendance was expected. It was a pretty fun event though, they found a Snorlax so I played Pokémon flute on max volume from my DS to give the event some atmosphere and since it was in a park it was pretty easy to hear (DS has some pretty powerful speakers). All in all, it was fun and I am amazed by how many people actually play this.

Septimius

What do you get for holding down a gym? I've never had a poke hold one long enough to get any sort of rewards.

Here's how rewards work:
- You choose when you wish to claim your reward
- You get 10 pokecoins and some hundred stardust per Pokémon you have placed at gyms when you collect it
- You collect it from the shop, by pressing the shield in the top right corner. You can do this once every 21 hours.

So today, I placed two Pokémons at two gyms and got 20 pokécoins and however much stardust.

Costia

What do you get for holding down a gym? I've never had a poke hold one long enough to get any sort of rewards.
Look at the shop page. there is a shield button you can press every 21 hours. It gives you 10 coins + 500 dust for every gym you have a pokemon in.
You get coins if you hold one down for 21 hours.
You dont need to hold it for 21 hours. You just need to be in it when you press the button.

PSFan

Exactly how I feel.

I'm wasting my time out here in the burbs. Even my "hot" spots aren't even a fraction of that.

Yeah, I'm in a suburb as well. But I live a few blocks from the ocean so I do get some decent spawns somewhat often. This morning was the first Charmander I've seen around my neighborhood since the game started, and he was by a pier haha.

I'm looking at mine now and it's just mostly pidgeys, rattattas etc. Niantic really needs to adjust spawn rates. Not so things like Snorlax and Charizard pop every 10 minutes. But maybe Meowths or Pikachus or something else not seen as often.

Pachimari

Hmm, this is really weird. I just went through my collection of Pokemon and my strong Pidgeotto is no longer there. I haven't transferred it either. Or else it might have happened when my mind where somewhere else, and I transferred that instead of a Pidgey? I dunno.

Hmm, this is really weird. I just went through my collection of Pokemon and my strong Pidgeotto is no longer there. I haven't transferred it either. Or else it might have happened when my mind where somewhere else, and I transferred that instead of a Pidgey? I dunno.

I think you might have accidentally transferred it?

Septimius

Yeah, I'm in a suburb as well. But I live a few blocks from the ocean so I do get some decent spawns somewhat often. This morning was the first Charmander I've seen around my neighborhood since the game started, and he was by a pier haha.

I'm looking at mine now and it's just mostly pidgeys, rattattas etc. Niantic really needs to adjust spawn rates. Not so things like Snorlax and Charizard pop every 10 minutes. But maybe Meowths or Pikachus or something else not seen as often.

It's another thing I find silly, that certain countries, seemingly, have a certain set of Pokémon. It means that I'm drowning in drowsees while never having seen a hole bunch of others that I hear other people say they see all the time.

PSFan

It's another thing I find silly, that certain countries, seemingly, have a certain set of Pokémon. It means that I'm drowning in drowsees while never having seen a hole bunch of others that I hear other people say they see all the time.

And I have yet to even see a Drowsee. I actually encountered a Rhydon for the first today by the beach. It seems in my area that they have a rotation type of thing going on. Some days I'll see things I never saw before in my neighborhood. And then I start seeing them more often. Not every day like Pidgeys and stuff. But they do come around again hehe.

trugs26

I think that's cool. I like the idea of some locations having certain things while others don't, it adds context to the world.

molnizzle

Look at the shop page. there is a shield button you can press every 21 hours. It gives you 10 coins + 500 dust for every gym you have a pokemon in.

You dont need to hold it for 21 hours. You just need to be in it when you press the button.

Wow, wish I had known this before. Thought I had to wait 24 hours or something to collect rewards. Coulda had a bunch by now. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom