• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMD

What matters is how full the white bar above the Pokemon is, if it's for example 75% full, it'll stay that full upon evolving.

As you level up the CP cap raises so the white bar empties a bit, because of this you should really wait until 20 to evolve anything somewhat rare so as to not waste the candies on something that could be like 40% full later on.

Thank you, I think I'm gonna hold on to my candies.

Majukun

so, the higher the level of the trainer is the stronger a pokemon you capture can be? I mean, even if you get a perfect IV pokemon it's useless if you got it a too low of a level?

woopWOOP

I think team yellow is the underdog in my town

Every gym I see is either red or blue, with 1000+ CP monsters guarding them all

So much for my plan to stick my 500 CP Pidgeot in there somewhere so I can earn some coins :V

Pachimari

I'm still planning on using my lucky egg to gain those experience points. But I guess I should have 45-60 Pokémon to evolve before it's worth it.

CoolOff

So..

If you run into something with a ??? CP, is it pretty much impossible to catch?

Ran into a Wartortle earlier, and even using berries and great balls, could not catch it before it ran, and it's not the first time it's happened.

??? just means that it is higher than your highest. Could be by 1, or by 200.

PSFan

It makes you appreciate the Pokemon more. If I had everything around me, it wouldn't be as special. Some games won't allow you to access everything based on how much time you spend with the game, or how skillful you are. Those games are designed around time or skill. Pokemon Go is designed around moving around. So it makes sense to have things difficult to get based on travelling. I love this idea. And I love the idea that there are Pokemon I may never get.

Sounds like you are taking this game way too seriously. It's a F2P game that's designed to get people interested in the IP enough to buy the regular games at 40 bucks. It's not that hard to get the "rarer" Pokemon in the games you pay 40 bucks for, so it shouldn't be that hard in a Pokemon game that's free.

And it's not based on travelling in the sense that you should book a trip around the world. It's more like walk around your neighborhood to see what you find and also what you can find while running day to day errands around town and stuff.

venomenon

Why do I keep wasting my fruit and superballs on weak Pidgeottos and Raticates? It just feels wrong to leave them be. *sigh*

Good weekend though. Stable servers, lots of water Pokemon at the Baltic beach, hit level 18 and finally got a Pikachu, a pretty strong one actually.

Kinokou

I'm still planning on using my lucky egg to gain those experience points. But I guess I should have 45-60 Pokémon to evolve before it's worth it.

The right way is 75 of a single species, where the evolution is already registered to the dex and have the pokemon listing sorted numerically.

Nictel

The right way is 75 of a single species, where the evolution is already registered to the dex and have the pokemon listing sorted numerically.

Don't you get extra XP for the first capturing/evolution? So in the ideal situation it is not registered yet? That outweighs the extra animation time or not?

Firemind

It's almost 1 a.m. and I just left my house to track down a Doduo. Pokemon Go, everyone.

... to be fair, they're stupidly rare around here. This was only the second time I've even seen a silhouette of Doduo since the game released. Plus it pushed me up to 100 unique Pokémon caught, so that's cool.
What level are you? I don't even have half that much stardust, didn't use any and I'm almost 20. :(

Pachimari

Well I got 12 Pokémon which are different species, so the rest of the 75 will just be Pidgeys and Rattatas I think.

Kinokou

Don't you get extra XP for the first capturing/evolution? So in the ideal situation it is not registered yet? That outweighs the extra animation time or not?

You might be onto something, but I didn't try that method yet since I prioritized clearing space in my box.

Firemind

I pop a lucky egg when a bunch of 5/10km eggs are about to hatch, then mass evolve whatever I have. Someone did make a good point about grinding stardust from 1-20 before the capture rate murders your pokeball stock. But that isn't a big issue if you have a lot of pokestops nearby. So I guess it depends on your situation.

Saad

Too many Ekans and Sandshrews, I think they're waste of resources as they require 50 candies to evolve. Maybe when I get strong evolutions of them they'd be worth it.

Skux

It's a F2P game that's designed to get people interested in the IP enough to buy the regular games at 40 bucks.

The game is making over $2 million every day from in-app purchases. No one who is only playing Pokemon Go is buying a 3DS to play the mainline titles.

PSFan

What? You're the one who's assuming Nintendo is in charge.

They have a stake in each company involved in the game. Not to mention they own the trademarks to the IP.

The game is making over $2 million every day from in-app purchases. No one who is only playing Pokemon Go is buying a 3DS to play the mainline titles.

They don't have to buy a 3DS. They can get a 2DS for under $100. And we'll see who will be buying one as November gets closer.

Pachimari

It's a F2P game that's designed to get people interested in the IP enough to buy the regular games at 40 bucks.

No, it is not designed to make people buy the mainline games on 3DS. In fact, it's Niantics who is in charge here. Nintendo is mostly just racking in money on the percentage they own of the property.

venomenon

No one who is only playing Pokemon Go is buying a 3DS to play the mainline titles.
Well, I already have a 3DS but never played a Pokemon game other than Go and I absolutely consider getting a mainline game now.

This might indeed be an exception, though, and I doubt that's Nintendo's goal with this.

Skux

They don't have to buy a 3DS. They can get a 2DS for under $100. And we'll see who will be buying one as November gets closer.

And they still won't. They're spending loose change on lures and lucky eggs to bolster the mobile experience.

All the mainline Pokemon games on the planet don't do what Pokemon Go is doing.

Pachimari

Especially the casuals. They'll be satisfied with having Pokémon Go on their mobile, and won't have one bit interest in buying another piece of hardware for a mainline Pokémon.

Firemind

They have a stake in each company involved in the game. Not to mention they own the trademarks to the IP.
That doesn't mean anything. Does Nintendo tell the Pokémon Company how to design the mainline games? Look, if you don't know the details of the deal, don't spout statements like they're facts.

Good lord. To say not a single person on this planet is not going to want to play one of the mainline games because of Pokemon Go is borderline idiotic.

Fuck, I bet there's even a kid out there in Japan that wants to go see that movie that bombed hard now because of it.

No, the game was probably not made to sell the mainline game, but I'm sure the idea of it selling/rejuvenating the brand came up one or twice.

I am watching the anime RIGHT NOW for the first time in YEARS because of Pokemon Go. I bought Pokemon Blue VC for the exact same reason.

Chaos17

I also doubt it, it's diffiult to move customers from a market but not impossible.
That's why Nintendo is making abet on the futur here. If it helps to make mainline serie more successful Nintendo will continue to invest money in mobile games.
We all know that and Iwata also explained it a lot.

Skux

Especially the casuals. They'll be satisfied with having Pokémon Go on their mobile, and won't have one bit interest in buying another piece of hardware for a mainline Pokémon.

Exactly. If people cared about the console games as much as Pokemon Go, the 3DS would be flying off the shelves.

PSFan

That doesn't mean anything. Does Nintendo tell the Pokémon Company how to design the mainline games? Look, if you don't know the details of the deal, don't spout statements like they're facts.

It's actually GameFreak that designs the mainline games. Maybe you're the one who shouldn't spout statements as facts if you don't know the "details of the deal".

trugs26

Sounds like you are taking this game way too seriously. It's a F2P game that's designed to get people interested in the IP enough to buy the regular games at 40 bucks. It's not that hard to get the "rarer" Pokemon in the games you pay 40 bucks for, so it shouldn't be that hard in a Pokemon game that's free.

And it's not based on travelling in the sense that you should book a trip around the world. It's more like walk around your neighborhood to see what you find and also what you can find while running day to day errands around town and stuff.

On the contrary, I feel like people who have a problem with this design are taking it too seriously. Who cares if some Pokemon are hard to get? This game is designed around the idea of collecting things, so it makes sense that some things are just straight up hard. Deal with it.

Also, it still is that hard to get rare Pokemon in the $40 games. Literally there were Pokemon only at specific events at major cities. They were the legendary (or mythical) event Pokemon. I dealt with the fact that I couldn't get those Pokemon since I lived in a small town where the events weren't held (in fact, the events weren't held in my country very often either). But again, these were legendary Pokemon, so I was okay with the idea that I couldn't easily attain those due to my location.

One way is to book a round trip to get those Pokemon. But you can also get lucky through eggs hatching, and I'm sure the inevitable trading system will alleviate the issue. But I still love the idea that outside of those means, finding them in the wild remains a rare circumstance. I still think the natural extension of "moving around the neighborhood" for rare Pokemon is to only obtain them in region specific areas.

Me too!

Of course, some people will want to buy the mainline games, and some won't. There's really no either or.
:) Agreed. I do play the mainline games, but had Pokemon Go not come out I wouldn't have considered the anime or VC games. I was just waiting on Sun/Moon.

People are playing this game for a lot of reasons. For a lot of people it's the social aspect, others it's the exercise, family fun, nostalgia trip, a new way to experience the franchise, etc. I can definitely see how someone would express interest in the main series, but others would be content with just the mobile experience.

At the end of the day, it's still good for the franchise.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I think we should chill but I'm Yoshichan, that would be against my nature

Pachimari

Which season are you watching?

I gave S19E01 a watch last night, and it was actually pretty good. I didn't like the supporting cast who were a little too childish compared to Misty or Brock, but it looked prettier and didn't have much filler compared to Season 1. But I might actually just start from the very beginning.

Majukun

my little town has been pretty balanced in terms of team composition...gym change colors daily and every team has at least a bunch of gyms at any given time..yesterday i was able to get 3 gyms in a row and redeem before someone else just swooped in and took them back..literally half an hour

Pachimari

Yellow and Blue are dominating really hard here in Copenhagen. And at my place, there's rarely any red gyms. I got my first real opportunity to put a Pokémon at a gym only this morning.

Noobcraft

Well, I already have a 3DS but never played a Pokemon game other than Go and I absolutely consider getting a mainline game now.

This might indeed be an exception, though, and I doubt that's Nintendo's goal with this.
Ehh. It got my brother and his wife both to buy a 2DS for Sun and Moon. Anecdotes, but it is working on some level.

so, the higher the level of the trainer is the stronger a pokemon you capture can be? I mean, even if you get a perfect IV pokemon it's useless if you got it a too low of a level?

It's not useless: even if you catch a low-level pkm, you can always use your stardust and candies to upgrade its CP (and therefore its level).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom