• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which season are you watching?

I gave S19E01 a watch last night, and it was actually pretty good. I didn't like the supporting cast who were a little too childish compared to Misty or Brock, but it looked prettier and didn't have much filler compared to Season 1. But I might actually just start from the very beginning.
I just started S17. I heard good things about XY so I figured I'd check it out. So far I totally agree with you, it's pretty decent. I'm not a fan of the supporting cast either, but it's fun so far. S17E02 is actually an engaging episode.

Pachimari

It's not useless: even if you catch a low-level pkm, you can always use your stardust and candies to upgrade its CP (and therefore its level).

But there's a limit to how much you can upgrade a Pokémon.

I just started S17. I heard good things about XY so I figured I'd check it out. So far I totally agree with you, it's pretty decent. I'm not a fan of the supporting cast either, but it's fun so far. S17E02 is actually an engaging episode.

Sounds good. I could also check out an episode from Season 17.
Season 19 is also XYZ.

Majukun

It's not useless: even if you catch a low-level pkm, you can always use your stardust and candies to upgrade its CP (and therefore its level).

but do all the pokèmon have the same potential regardless of at what level you catch them?
IV apart of course that are unique to any pokemon

Majukun

Yes. Doesn't matter when you evolve it or if it's evolved. IVs and trainer level determine everything.

i mean at what level OF THE TRAINER
if i catch a perfect IV pokèmon at level 10,and one at level 15,are they gonna reach the same power if i keep feeding them?

Firemind

i mean at what level OF THE TRAINER
if i catch a perfect IV pokèmon at level 10,and one at level 15,are they gonna reach the same power if i keep feeding them?
Trainer level is only relevant for the cp cap. So at lvl. 15 your cap is higher than at lvl. 10. If two trainers are both at lvl. 15, their cap are exactly the same. It doesn't matter at what level you catch it.

Majukun

Trainer level is only relevant for the cp cap. So at lvl. 15 your cap is higher than at lvl. 10. If two trainers are both at lvl. 15, their cap are exactly the same. It doesn't matter at what level you catch it.

oh so the cap of a pokèmon i catched at lv 10 increases when i go at lv 11?
good to know,i thought it was always the same

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Have you guys looked into the bots people have made for this?

I made a fresh account and have gotten from lvl 1 to 20 in about 5-6 hours. It is pretty crazy. I wonder if it will have an affect on the game's popularity in the long run....
I'm expecting Niantic are working on implementing more ways to check if the player is a bot or a human, but so far the bot developers are one step ahead.

Rm5qf4Y.png

oh so the cap of a pokèmon i catched at lv 10 increases when i go at lv 11?
good to know,i thought it was always the same

Jup, the only advantage of catching a perfect IV pokemon at a higher level is that you have to invest less candy in upgrades because it usually already upgraded higher.
But a pokemon caught at low level can have the same potential as a one caught at high level.

Chaos17

Have you guys looked into the bots people have made for this?

I made a fresh account and have gotten from lvl 1 to 20 in about 5-6 hours. It is pretty crazy. I wonder if it will have an affect on the game's popularity in the long run....
I'm expecting Niantic are working on implementing more ways to check if the player is a bot or a human, but so far the bot developers are one step ahead.

Rm5qf4Y.png

*Try to understand why botting*
Gold sellers ?... nope unless you can keep a gym...
Lazy ass ? Seriously, botting an a "fitness" app is stupid, just don't play, lol

Edit: thanks I'm gonna report it to Niantics. Last think I want are bots.

bots: Niantic have lost control of this thing. They need to change the API and do a full reset/restart. But they can't.

btw.

I did a light-weight pokevision style url that is easy to hit up on your phone. Your location is sent encrypted and I am not storing them against anyones IP or anything.

You get back the nearby local spawns, with links to google or apple maps with walking route. No location spoofing.

http://64.91.255.98/front/gaftest.html

if it comes up with nothing after a search delay, wait a minute and search again.

I'll just 404 the URL if necessary due to bugs or load, so don't tweet it or anything.

MrHoot

I would argue that, for some, the game isn't really all that interesting until you reach a certain level as you just play some pokemon factory without the ability to grow any attachment while leveling up. Since you usually always have a chance to capture a higher cp pokemon in the wild or evolve one (and the game really encourages you to do so rather than spending stardust for leveling), botting to at least level 20 so you can actually start maybe having useful pokemons...I mean the "game" is a grind anyway, the most interesting bits are when you move around to hopefully get a rare one, so I can see why

At this stage for me is it basically like one of those auto-clicker games where you just watch the numbers go up and up.

I wanted to add a comparison to cookie clicker but yeah, you beat me to it. Pokemon Go is not much more than a numbers game right now so it makes sense botting crops up

Chaos17

At this stage for me is it basically like one of those auto-clicker games where you just watch the numbers go up and up.

I would argue that, for some, the game isn't really all that interesting until you reach a certain level as you just play some pokemon factory without the ability to grow any attachment while leveling up. Since you usually always have a chance to capture a higher cp pokemon in the wild or evolve one (and the game really encourages you to do so rather than spending stardust for leveling), botting to at least level 20 so you can actually start maybe having useful pokemons...I mean the "game" is a grind anyway, the most interesting bits are when you move around to hopefully get a rare one, so I can see why

You're just adding unecessary presure on yourself here, it's not the goal of the app at the moment to be lvl 25+ but be a app fitness. Pvp is barebone and not that rewarding either at the moment.
Botting is usually used by goldsellers but here there is nothing to sell. If anyone feel here that they need botting to enjoy this game should quit if you dislike making the effort to go out and enjoy treasure hunting.

At least even the people using third app to locate pokemons are making the effort to go out and hunt them.
So don't use excuse because you're lazy, THANKS.

MrHoot

You're just adding unecessary presure on yourself here, it's not the goal of the app at the moment to be lvl 25+ but be a app fitness. Pvp is barebone and not that rewarding either at the moment.

Botting is usually used by goldsellers but here there is nothing to sell. If anyone feel here that they need botting to enjoy theis game should quit if you dislike making the effort to go out and enjoy treasure hunting.

The thing is i'm extremely annoyed that the app HAS to be open to count steps for instance. I don't have infinite internet and it's a huge battery drainer. It doesn't really reward fitness as much as "finding a popular spot in a city and staying where pokelures are", When the actual bug is fixed without breaking the whole game, yeah it's fair to go out and hunt. But I don't condemn people who don't want to deal with just RNG

Botting is usually used by goldsellers but here there is nothing to sell. .

Didn't someone sell a nearly complete account for quite a bit of money? That was in the news somewhere a week ago. I don't know if it is possible now but that was probably on the mind of the people writing bots.

PSFan

Botting is usually used by goldsellers but here there is nothing to sell. If anyone feel here that they need botting to enjoy this game should quit if you dislike making the effort to go out and enjoy treasure hunting.

At least even the people using third app to locate pokemons are making the effort to go out and hunt them.
So don't use excuse because you're lazy, THANKS.

What is it to you if someone wants to be "lazy"? It won't affect your game either way. Why not let people play the game how they want to and stop being a Niantic white knight.

And I don't think "fitness" is a goal of the app, just a benefit. It's a game, and the goal is to have fun. People have fun with it in different ways. Just play the game, have fun and stop being a snitch and thinking you're some patrol officer for Niantic. None of these things will affect your playing of the game in any way.

M.J. Doja

Banned
I just gotta say that I would probably not buy a gaming handheld these days, even being as curious as I am in Pokemon again. Other users are correct in their assumptions that some people do not want to carry another piece of hardware around. Although phone hardware isn't all that great for gaming, I'm just not interested in the cross-investment. I know I'm missing out on great games but it's just how I'm feeling these days.

I really wish there WAS more "game" to Pokemon Go. I'd like to be able to experience some of the depth of the mainline games without actually going and playing them.

As far as botting... if players who automate are found and banned, and hopefully Niantic isn't naive about all of this, then the programming community will continue to do whatever is allowed. They're not all out to ruin the company or make a quick buck, I hope. It would make sense for the developers to be on top of the botting and do something about it ASAP.

What is it to you if someone wants to be "lazy"? It won't affect your game either way. Why not let people play the game how they want to and stop being a Niantic white knight.

And I don't think "fitness" is a goal of the app, just a benefit. It's a game, and the goal is to have fun. People have fun with it in different ways. Just play the game, have fun and stop being a snitch and thinking you're some patrol officer for Niantic. None of these things will affect your playing of the game in any way.

People arguing in favor of botters? Internet has no shame these days.

Red

Gold sellers ?... nope unless you can keep a gym...
Lazy ass ? Seriously, botting an a "fitness" app is stupid, just don't play, lol

Edit: thanks I'm gonna report it to Niantics. Last think I want are bots.
I don't get it either. Someone asked the best way to spoof location in the last OT. It's like, does filling the checklist give you that much satisfaction that it takes precedence over the actual gameplay in the app? Go is designed around exploration and discovery... And bots/spoofing are ways to circumvent exploration and discovery. What's left? Just notching those boxes. That's supremely unsatisfying. There's almost nothing left of the game once you start cheating.

I don't get it either. Someone asked the best way to spoof location in the last OT. It's like, does filling the checklist give you that much satisfaction that it takes precedence over the actual gameplay in the app? Go is designed around exploration and discovery... And bots/spoofing are ways to circumvent exploration and discovery. What's left? Just notching those boxes. That's supremely unsatisfying. There's almost nothing left of the game once you start cheating.
Some people spoof just be be in a more populated Pokemon area. I don't spoof but there's nothing out here in the country where I live.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I care about this game reaching it's full potential.
I want it to remain huge and popular because the shared experience of connecting with people over Pokemon is where the true value of this game is found. The rather limited game mechanics itself are just a means to an end.

People botting and using third party map apps is going to make interest die off quick and kill the only fun aspect I enjoy about the game. Therefore, I don't like the practice. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

So yeah, i'm reporting this too in the hope that the game retains a bit of it's integrity and social aspects.
You're welcome to do whatever you see fit yourself.

PSFan

People arguing in favor of botters? Internet has no shame these days.

Not in favor of bots per se, but more against people getting upset about them and things like Pokevision when it doesn't hinder their game or fun in any way. It's not an MMO like WoW or FFXI. Nobody is losing out on anything by people using external tools and such.

You can't speak for millions of other people. It's supremely unsatisfying for you maybe, but I'm sure many others find it "supremely unsatisfying" to see Pidgeys and Rattattas pop 95% of the time.

People botting and using third party map apps is going to make interest die off quick and kill the only fun aspect I enjoy about the game. Therefore, I don't like the practice. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

So yeah, i'm reporting this too in the hope that the game retains a bit of it's integrity and social aspects.
You're welcome to do whatever you see fit yourself.

Exactly how will that make interest die off quickly? The majority of the people playing this game probably don't even know what a bot is. Let's not forget, there's still literally over 500 pokemon yet to be added to the game. Interest won't die off because of botters or map users. Niantic has plenty of things left to keep people playing,

Red

Some people spoof just be be in a more populated Pokemon area. I don't spoof but there's nothing out here in the country where I live.
That's what people said last time I saw it brought up. I don't live in a very populated area either. But whatever the reason, to me spoofing saps the fun out of the experience. It saps the experience.
You can't speak for millions of other people. It's supremely unsatisfying for you maybe, but I'm sure many others find it "supremely unsatisfying" to see Pidgeys and Rattattas pop 95% of the time.
I didn't claim to speak for anyone else. All i said was I cant relate to that desire. I don't get it.

Pokémon go is about going into the world and exploring. People try to find the fun in that by... Not going into the world and exploring. Ace 👌

ironmang

If by exploration and discovery you mean live in a city and go to the 24/7 lured spots then yes it's about those things.

People surprisingly get real worked up over "cheating" in this casual fitness app. How does spoofing take away from your enjoyment? Especially if spoofers are just getting the same advantages that other people can physically get.

Where I live if you don't spoof you either have to walk/drive for hours between distanced pokestops just to get enough pokeballs to catch the 10 commons that spawn here or drive 30-40 minutes just to find stops that are kept lured and somewhat overlap. If anything you should be pissed at Niantic for making the game a demo if you don't have reasonable access to high population areas.

If they wanted me to explore then they'd have random supplies pop up while I walk through the woods using nearby to find rare pokemon. That sounds like a lot of fun. Pokemon GO isn't that game though.

edit: it's funny how driving and playing this casual game isn't met with the same amount of hatred as spoofing even though spoofing won't kill people.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not in favor of bots per se, but more against people getting upset about them and things like Pokevision when it doesn't hinder their game or fun in any way. It's not an MMO like WoW or FFXI. Nobody is losing out on anything by people using external tools and such.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong.
People botting and map spoofing ruins the primary element of the game. Which is social experience of hunting Pokemon outside and encountering other trainers.

When you can use a tool to level up a CP2500 Pokemon in mere hours and have it dominate every gym in town, that ruins my fun. It ruins everyone's fun. Getting a Pokemon like that should require time investment and at least a bit of dedication, not a github link and a button press.

And what you're not realizing is that these bots and apps are getting into the mainstream quick. Pokevision is dead easy to use and people in my environment already seem to have found out including kids.
That python map app is probably getting the same kind of treatment soon where all you need is a URL to find everything around you. The poke trainer bot will likely be a popular android app or a neatly packaged .exe for people to distribute, making leveling Pokemon trivial.

What it'll lead to is less and less people out there on the streets playing the game and gym fights being between 9999 bot pokemon VS 9999 bot pokemon. Why would anyone show up at a lure when any pokemon can be caught at the click of a button without even being present.

That's not a bright future in my opinion. But whatever you need to justify it for yourself, champ.

Red

If by exploration and discovery you mean live in a city and go to the 24/7 lured spots then yes it's about those things.

People surprisingly get real worked up over "cheating" in this casual fitness app. How does spoofing take away from your enjoyment? Especially if spoofers are just getting the same advantages that other people can physically get.

Where I live if you don't spoof you either have to walk/drive for hours between distanced pokestops just to get enough pokeballs to catch the 10 commons that spawn here or drive 30-40 minutes just to find stops that are kept lured and somewhat overlap. If anything you should be pissed at Niantic for making the game a demo if you don't have reasonable access to high population areas.

If they wanted me to explore then they'd have random supplies pop up while I walk through the woods using nearby to find rare pokemon. That sounds like a lot of fun. Pokemon GO isn't that game though.
I agree with the bolded. Maybe not be pissed but expect more, contact them about the problem until it is remedied. My closest pokéstop is over two miles away and there are only a handful spread across town. I know what it's like. I know the desire to want to live in a place more populated by the game world, to have the same experience as city players. But if you're spoofing, you're still not having the same experience as other players, because you're not actually playing the game. They're out there moving around, running into people, stumbling onto new Pokémon as they go. You're plugging in numbers in solitude. Whether or not you spoof you should expect more from Niantic.

Hoo-doo, great post, although I still think Niantic bears much responsibility. The community can't and shouldn't be held to any high moral standard.

KtSlime

There are lots of benefits and drawbacks depending on where you live, no reason to blame Niantic for your choice to live in a remote location. Enjoy the clean air though!

I think it is not unreasonable to hear about people cheating and it leaving a bad taste in your mouth, however if the cheating doesn't take away from anyone other than the cheaters experience then no harm no foul, IMO.

ironmang

There is no social aspect to this game where I live. Even though people play it, the stops are spread so far apart that everybody just constantly drives in a loop hitting all the stops so they have enough balls to go hunting for an hour. If you're playing this it's a 2-3 hour commitment at minimum. In the city you can hit stops as you hunt and do this all on foot. Plus they have enough people that stops are always lured which gives incentive to stop and socialize.

Even calling it "cheating" is so silly. Against their rules, sure, but it's not like using autoaim in an online FPS.

bots: Niantic have lost control of this thing. They need to change the API and do a full reset/restart. But they can't.

btw.

I did a light-weight pokevision style url that is easy to hit up on your phone. Your location is sent encrypted and I am not storing them against anyones IP or anything.

You get back the nearby local spawns, with links to google or apple maps with walking route. No location spoofing.

if it comes up with nothing after a search delay, wait a minute and search again.

I'll just 404 the URL if necessary due to bugs or load, so don't tweet it or anything.

This is fantastic, bookmarking on my phone.

PSFan

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong.
People botting and map spoofing ruins the primary element of the game. Which is social experience of hunting Pokemon outside and encountering other trainers.

When you can use a tool to level up a CP2500 Pokemon in mere hours and have it dominate every gym in town, that ruins my fun. It ruins everyone's fun. Getting a Pokemon like that should require time investment and at least a bit of dedication, not a github link and a button press.

And what you're not realizing is that these bots and apps are getting into the mainstream quick. Pokevision is dead easy to use and people in my environment already seem to have found out including kids.
That python map app is probably getting the same kind of treatment soon where all you need is a URL to find everything around you. The poke trainer bot will likely be a popular android app or a neatly packaged .exe for people to distribute, making leveling Pokemon trivial.

What it'll lead to is less and less people out there on the streets playing the game and gym fights being between 9999 bot pokemon VS 9999 bot pokemon. Why would anyone show up at a lure when any pokemon can be caught at the click of a button without even being present.

That's not a bright future in my opinion. But whatever you need to justify it for yourself, champ.

Maybe it ruins your fun, but don't say it ruins everyone's fun. Not everyone playing the game cares about the gyms and are having fun hanging out at pokestops or walking around hunting. But I get it, your ego wants you to show off that e-peen to everyone and you have to be better than everyone else in order to enjoy the game, "champ".

Red

There is no social aspect to this game where I live. Even though people play it, the stops are spread so far apart that everybody just constantly drives in a loop hitting all the stops so they have enough balls to go hunting for an hour. If you're playing this it's a 2-3 hour commitment at minimum. In the city you can hit stops as you hunt and do this all on foot. Plus they have enough people that stops are always lured which gives incentive to stop and socialize.
I mean, yeah. If I walk to the closest stop and then back home it's nearly a three hour trip (only using the stop once or twice!). We're having a similar experience. Although when I am at that stop it's nearly constantly lured and I have never gone there and not run into someone else playing.

And of course it's cheating. How is it not? That's some U.S. Republican level doublespeak: "it's not cheating, it's breaking the rules."

The whole point of being bound by proximity is so that you are on an even playing field with your local players. By escaping those bounds, you elevate yourself beyond them and are given an unfair advantage. It doesn't matter whether or not this action is fueled by jealousy of those who are playing in a more privileged location. You're still escaping the bounds set by the game and accessing content that your local players are not privy to. It ruins the entire competitive aspect of the game.

I noticed last week there were more gyms and stops that popped up on the outer rim of the town I live in. I would assume they are adding, but it's taking time.

MrHoot

I think it's hyperbole that botting and spoofing will ruin the potential of the game in the future. I am pretty sure the people who rely on these are a tiny minority of the people who use the app. If anything, what will ensure the popularity of this app in a few months, especially during winter, is how niantic will update it.

Because to be real, a big reason why people look up spoofing or botting for Pokemon GO at this point is because the app is...mediocre at best when it comes to its design. It's an itch scratcher, so people are looking for the most efficient way of scratching that itch. If Niantic doesn't want botting and spoofing to expand, then it better start to shape up, and especially communicate more (and I was told by ingress players that communication is really not one of Niantic's forte)

The only thing that actually rewards exploration a bit has been turned off for more than a week. And even then, it mostly works in high populated area unless you like discovering a bunch of zubats. Walking to arenas is a boring endeavour. Hatching egg takes a huge toll on your battery (while incense doesn't seem to have a problem in running out)

Here where I live in switzerland, I -HAVE- to go to my city (take a bus) if I want to actually use the app in a fun manner, and even then there are mostly two to three places which are lured up and they're far apart. And I don't live in the countryside, just a smaller town right by it. My GF who lives in a rural area has litteraly nothing. Maybe in Geneva there's more stuff, or Zürich, but i'm not paying the train. Stops in general are pretty scarce of far apart for me and her, and the whole socialization aspect is already running out here as it's the same people going to the same bunch of lured pokestops as that's how the game is more fun

And while i'm on a rant, the other thing that would also help by not making it a simple number's game and lessening the value of spoofing and botting is giving actual value to your pokemons. At the end of the day, you're rewarded more for being a pokemon factory than a trainer. The level of your pokemon is less important than your own, something crucial compared to regular pokemon games. There is no attachment to your team and battles in gyms are a meat grinder as well.

When I started, I was all excited to pick my starter like I did back in red/blue. To this day, my charmander is the only one that hasn't changed because there's litteraly no charmanders anywhere I went. And by now he's just obsolete since I might just catch a stronger one and sacrifice the older one for candies, as the game "trains" you to think like that rather than developping attachment to individual pokemons

Jebusman

Banned
Maybe it ruins your fun, but don't say it ruins everyone's fun. Not everyone playing the game cares about the gyms and are having fun hanging out at pokestops or walking around hunting. But I get it, your ego wants you to show off that e-peen to everyone and you have to be better than everyone else in order to enjoy the game, "champ".

Let's do a simple test here, eh?

Let's say 50% of people are upset by botting, and 50% of people don't care.

Scenario one: We allow botting to happen. It ruins the fun of 50% of people and doesn't affect the other 50% in any way.

Scenario two: We don't allow botting to happen. It doesn't ruin the fun of 50% of people who care, and the other 50% still don't care either way.

So explain to me why Scenario Two isn't the one we should strive for?

Also, explain the reasoning why you have to jump to being a dick to someone when they express concern about people creating tools to cheat a game that has multiplayer consequences.

I think it's hyperbole that botting and spoofing will ruin the potential of the game in the future. I am pretty sure the people who rely on these are a tiny minority of the people who use the app. If anything, what will ensure the popularity of this app in a few months, especially during winter, is how niantic will update it.

You realize it only takes an active minority of people to ruin the fun for the masses at large? That's exactly how cheating works. If I'm playing on a 16v16 map in any random FPS, and there's a single hacker on the other team, that's ruining it for all of us. 16 people affected by just 1.

All it takes is for me to gps spoof and bot my way to a higher level than anyone in my city is realistically at, at this point, and I could take over just about every gym around, at any given time, from the comfort of my own home. Just one person can easily fuck it up for hundreds, so dismissing it as "hyperbolic" is a dangerous road to go down.

robochimp

btw.

Aside from a wild goose chase for a Pikachu, your tracker led me directly to a Bulbasaur, a Squirttle, and a Haunter.

Nice work!

In other news here are my 10k egg results.
Onyx and an Evee. Ugh

Also, do any of you have any controversial placements of stops and gyms. We have a gym square in the middle of a cemetery and I'm not sure I'm ok with that. It's kind of disrespectful to the families of the deceased to have people running around on Graves in a cemetery, trying to capture Pikachu in grandpa's tomb.

Septic360

Banned

btw.

This doesn't work for me. Says user opted not to share location

Jintor

If you are having the infuriating problem I was having, where the white box pokemon location tracker doesn't actually update with new pokemon as you move around, make sure your time settings are set to auto from the network and the internet, otherwise it seems to break the pokemon tracking.

I hope that worked; I'm too tired to bike around some more tonight.

Hoo-doo

Banned

What? This is like saying team killing in a FPS isn't a problem because the guys doing it are having tons of fun at the expense of others. I mean, not everyone cares about winning matches, right?

You talk about the core of the entire game like it's disposable, all because you're frustrated that you can't join in on the fun. This game didn't become a cultural phenomenon just for ticking boxes in your Pokedex.

I totally get that this game is currently not accommodating to players in rural areas and Niantic needs to address these issues immediately. But please don't act like you are oblivious to the larger implications of widespread use of these tools. Nobody is that dense.

And my ego is fine, thanks. But what your attempted insult doesn't cover is the fact that yes, it is indeed rewarding to catch rare, unique pokemon and leveling them up and talking about them with people on the street. Less of the 'e-peen' you speak of but more as in genuine social interaction over a Pokemon game. The relative rarity and challenge to obtain high-level Pokemon is what makes it rewarding.

But yeah, botting towards a CP2999 Charizard from your PC at home probably feels just as amazing, you're totally right.

PSFan

Let's do a simple test here, eh?

Let's say 50% of people are upset by botting, and 50% of people don't care.

Scenario one: We allow botting to happen. It ruins the fun of 50% of people and doesn't affect the other 50% in any way.

Scenario two: We don't allow botting to happen. It doesn't ruin the fun of 50% of people who care, and the other 50% still don't care either way.

So explain to me why Scenario Two isn't the one we should strive for?

Also, explain the reasoning why you have to jump to being a dick to someone when they express concern about people creating tools to cheat a game that has multiplayer consequences.

You realize it only takes an active minority of people to ruin the fun for the masses at large? That's exactly how cheating works. If I'm playing on a 16v16 map in any random FPS, and there's a single hacker on the other team, that's ruining it for all of us. 16 people affected by just 1.

All it takes is for me to gps spoof and bot my way to a higher level than anyone in my city is realistically at, at this point, and I could take over just about every gym around, at any given time, from the comfort of my own home. Just one person can easily fuck it up for hundreds, so dismissing it as "hyperbolic" is a dangerous road to go down.

Oh please. The only multiplayer aspect of the game, is outside the game, where people gather and hang out and talk at a pokestop while a lure is going on. There's no multiplayer in the game. Dropping a Pokemon in the gym and hoping no one will beat it is not multiplayer. And it's certainly nothing like a multiplayer FPS or MMO.

Seriously, if you want multiplayer Pokemon. GO isn't the game you should be playing, you should be on Smogon or something like that.

What? This is like saying team killing in a FPS isn't a problem because the guys doing it are having tons of fun at the expense of others. I mean, not everyone cares about winning matches, right?

You talk about the core of the entire game like it's disposable, all because you're frustrated that you can't join in on the fun. This game didn't become a cultural phenomenon just for ticking boxes in your Pokedex.

I totally get that this game is currently not accommodating to players in rural areas and Niantic needs to address these issues immediately. But please don't act like you are oblivious to the larger implications of widespread use of these tools. Nobody is that dense.

And my ego is fine, thanks. But what your attempted insult doesn't cover is the fact that yes, it is indeed rewarding to catch rare, unique pokemon and leveling them up and talking about them with people on the street. Less of the 'e-peen' you speak of but more as in genuine social interaction over a Pokemon game. The relative rarity and challenge to obtain high-level Pokemon is what makes it rewarding.

But yeah, botting towards a CP2999 Charizard from your PC at home probably feels just as amazing, you're totally right.

Again, this game is nothing like an FPS or MMO or any other multiplayer online game. And it didn't become a cultural phenomenon just because of taking over gyms.

Also, I'm sure that less than 1% of the playerbase is actually using those bots, and again 90% of the playerbase probably don't know what a bot is and it doesn't bother their enjoyment in the slightest.

And I wouldn't know how botting feels. Because I don't bot and I also don't level my Pokemon much. Because I don't really give a damn about gyms and think they are really pointless and dumb. And so do many of the people who hang out at the local Pokestop cluster that I frequent.

BTW, I enjoyed Lidsville as a child too.

MrHoot

Well two reasons for me that's it's not exactly the same. Also I want to make clear I don't want to encourage botting or spoofing, but I "understand" why people would rely on it

On a FPS in a 16 v 16, if the game is good, a cheater is immediately noticed (if he uses an aimbot or wallhack for instance) because it completely goes against the balance of the game, it operates from "outside" the rules and the design.

That or yeah, if you have shitty design like pay to win weapons accessible through grind, it will also be noticeable (although you might question the balance of the game by the dev)

Now, Pokemon GO spoofing and botting, while cheating, doesn't really operate outside the rules of the game. Most of it affects your personal gain without any interaction with others. Even when trading comes in, you're still getting these pokemons from the servers or how the rules intend them to be.

Now the one aspect that is competitive in pokemon GO are the gyms. And right now, YES it does suck that botting exist so early in the game because early on you'll have people with high CP pokemons camping the gyms (even tho actually beating the gyms isn't as hard, and you should also look at the terrible balancing between pokemons like freaking Vaporeon).

But ultimately, you can also look at how terrible the system is for these gyms is. Because down the road, maybe 2-3 months from now, even regular players will start gating these arenas off all by themselves, because that's how the game's designed. Maybe you yourself, with you regularily upgraded pokemon, will be ruining the fun of a newcomer because he just started and can't do shit because he hasn't grinded for the past 2 months, effectively being gated off a feature of the game until he reaches level 20 on his trainer or something. Hell, some might actually be happy to have botting options in the future because they don't want to grind for days just to be able to have a chance at gym battles

Niantic should take a look at these botters and try to reduce the problem because it will impede the future of their work, but Niantic should also take a big fucking look at how the game is designed in the first place

Red

Oh please. The only multiplayer aspect of the game, is outside the game, where people gather and hang out and talk at a pokestop while a lure is going on. There's no multiplayer in the game. Dropping a Pokemon in the gym and hoping no one will beat it is not multiplayer. And it's certainly nothing like a multiplayer FPS or MMO.

Seriously, if you want multiplayer Pokemon. GO isn't the game you should be playing, you should be on Smogon or something like that.
You're deluding yourself.

Gyms exist as a competitive aspect. Trading will soon be integrated. Friends and passers by communicate about where to find rare Pokémon. Raids have been teased. Much of the game is built around multiplayer. If there has ever been a strictly multiplayer Pokémon game, this is it.

Jebusman

Banned

You didn't answer the question.

If allowing botting ruins the game for "some" people, but not allowing botting ruins the game for nobody (aside from maybe the botters), why advocate for the botters?

Why actively condone people who are cheating out a game that, despite you not wanting to believe so, actually has consequence outside of your personal game directly?

Why immediately jump on someone, accusing them of just wanting to show off their massive e-peen instead of engaging with what they actually wrote?

If one botter can ruin the game for anybody, then the botter is the problem. This is not a difficult concept.

Stop downplaying how some people want to play the game while simultaneously trying to defend how some people want to cheat the game.

Niantic should take a look at these botters and try to reduce the problem because it will impede the future of their work, but Niantic should also take a big fucking look at how the game is designed in the first place

I don't disagree that the whole gym problem is going to create itself in awhile and while I'd imagine Niantic had some sort of plan to deal with it, they likely didn't expect the game to get this big this fast which is probably accelerating the problem to a degree.

ironmang

You acting like people care at all about gyms. Everybody I know accepts the fact that the gym system is broken and a lvl15 with evolved Eevees can take over basically all local gyms with just the revives and potions they have at that point. There aren't evil monsters looking to sit at home all day every day and hold all the gyms in your town from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom