• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oh please. The only multiplayer aspect of the game, is outside the game, where people gather and hang out and talk at a pokestop while a lure is going on. There's no multiplayer in the game. Dropping a Pokemon in the gym and hoping no one will beat it is not multiplayer. And it's certainly nothing like a multiplayer FPS or MMO.

Seriously, if you want multiplayer Pokemon. GO isn't the game you should be playing, you should be on Smogon or something like that.

You seriously don't get to decide what makes this game fun for other people. Especially not in a personal attempt to justify cheating and botting.

So let me ask you, because i'm a bit baffled. Why exactly are you playing Pokemon Go? The collecting or outside discovery aspects don't seem to interest you, neither do the social aspects or the gym mechanics (despite your ironic 'Team Instinct' avatar, which is real funny). What else is there?

Red

You acting like people care at all about gyms. Everybody I know accepts the fact that the gym system is broken and a lvl15 with evolved Eevees can take over basically all local gyms with just the revives and potions they have at that point. There aren't evil monsters looking to sit at home all day every day and hold all the gyms in your town from now on.
"Everybody I know" is truly a sample size worth reckoning with.

Majukun

any environment where a dratini is supposed to show up?
i got one from an egg but now i can't power him up because i don't have candies

hydruxo

any environment where a dratini is supposed to show up?
i got one from an egg but now i can't power him up because i don't have candies

Near lakes and ponds from what I've seen. There's a lake near me that seems like it's a Dratini nest, and another lake nearby I've seen a few.

PSFan

You seriously don't get to decide what makes this game fun for other people. Especially not in a personal attempt to justify cheating and botting.

So let me ask you, because i'm a bit baffled. Why exactly are you playing Pokemon Go? The collecting or outside discovery aspects don't seem to interest you, neither do the social aspects or the gym mechanics (despite your ironic 'Team Instinct' avatar, which is real funny). What else is there?

You seriously don't get to decide what makes the game fun for others either. As I said before, I am collecting the Pokemon. I'm building a living Pokedex actually. I'm out and about my neighborhood looking Pokemon most of the time I'm not at work. And I hang out at the local Pokestop cluster in my neighborhood with other players from my town as well.

I never said I was a botter, I'm only trying to understand why something that literally has no effect on the your playing the game bothers you and others so much. Most of the people I meet while playing don't give a damn about gyms and just want to catch Pokemon.

P44

You didn't answer the question.

If allowing botting ruins the game for "some" people, but not allowing botting ruins the game for nobody (aside from maybe the botters), why advocate for the botters?

Why actively condone people who are cheating out a game that, despite you not wanting to believe so, actually has consequence outside of your personal game directly?

Why immediately jump on someone, accusing them of just wanting to show off their massive e-peen instead of engaging with what they actually wrote?

If one botter can ruin the game for anybody, then the botter is the problem. This is not a difficult concept.

Stop downplaying how some people want to play the game while simultaneously trying to defend how some people want to cheat the game.

To be fair, there's no decent solution for rural players. Walking between 3 pokestops a mile or two apart from each other and having the oppurtunity to catch really nothing but pidgeys and ratatas is pretty shit. I make do (luckily I can be in cities every now and then) but yeah, at home the game is pretty shit. You're talking about being competetive and stuff, I'm lucky if I see an eevee.

ironmang

"Everybody I know" is truly a sample size worth reckoning with.

Hey, at least I'm speaking of people I know and not making statements like "it ruin's everyone's fun". But they agree with you so you won't make such snarky comments to them.

Jebusman

Banned
You seriously don't get to decide what makes the game fun for others either. As I said before, I am collecting the Pokemon. I'm building a living Pokedex actually. I'm out and about my neighborhood looking Pokemon most of the time I'm not at work. And I hang out at the local Pokestop cluster in my neighborhood with other players from my town as well.

I never said I was a botter, I'm only trying to understand why something that literally has no effect on the your playing the game bothers you and others so much. Most of the people I meet while playing don't give a damn about gyms and just want to catch Pokemon.

If a botter can remotely, from his house, grind up any number of pokemon and place them in any gym he pleases without even a slight hint of effort, yes, that does actually effect me.

No, just because "the people you meet" don't care about gyms means that's a universal view of the system everywhere.

People are here trying to explain it to you. Your responses so far has been to mock and dismiss.

Who said that?

Well admittedly:

When you can use a tool to level up a CP2500 Pokemon in mere hours and have it dominate every gym in town, that ruins my fun. It ruins everyone's fun. Getting a Pokemon like that should require time investment and at least a bit of dedication, not a github link and a button press.

Which isn't entirely accurate, but trying to counter "It ruins everyone's fun" with "No one actually cares about gyms" is just replacing one wrong statement with another.

Jintor

i just want to be able to login without the fucking thing locking me out indefinitely. that'd be nice. wasted most of today because of it

PSFan

If a botter can remotely, from his house, grind up any number of pokemon and place them in any gym he pleases without even a slight hint of effort, yes, that does actually effect me.

No, just because "the people you meet" don't care about gyms means that's a universal view of the system everywhere.

People are here trying to explain it to you. Your responses so far has been to mock and dismiss.

The thing is, instead of explaining, people are talking down like they are superior or something. And they started by mocking me, you included. And nobody is remotely grinding any Pokemon from their house.

It just seems like you and others are trying to make the game more competitive than it's supposed to me. If it was supposed to be competitive, we'd have battling like in the regular games, not going to a gym and tapping away on your phone.

Red

The thing is, instead of explaining, people are talking down like they are superior or something. And nobody is remotely grinding any Pokemon from their house.

It just seems like you and others are trying to make the game more competitive than it's supposed to me. If it was supposed to be competitive, we'd have battling like in the regular games, not going to a gym and tapping away on your phone.
Because the battles in Go do not appeal to you does not mean they are meaningless to everyone. We have already seen tier lists for gym defenders and ranking of which abilities are best for an attacking Pokémon to use to achieve their highest DPS. Because it's different does not mean it is not intended to foster competition.
Well admittedly:

Which isn't entirely accurate, but trying to counter "It ruins everyone's fun" with "No one actually cares about gyms" is just replacing one wrong statement with another.
You're right.

Quonny

You're right. I should drive thirty minutes one way to get an arbitrary statue and sit there for 4 hours while I refill my stock for the week.

Fucking lol.

Jebusman

Banned
The thing is, instead of explaining, people are talking down like they are superior or something.

This is you:

Maybe it ruins your fun, but don't say it ruins everyone's fun. Not everyone playing the game cares about the gyms and are having fun hanging out at pokestops or walking around hunting. But I get it, your ego wants you to show off that e-peen to everyone and you have to be better than everyone else in order to enjoy the game, "champ".

And you're complaining that OTHER people are the one's talking down?

And they started by mocking me, you included. And nobody is remotely grinding any Pokemon from their house.

OH, OH, is it more anecdotal evidence time? Because I literally know of people doing this. The guy sitting beside me (at work) is actually doing it right now. Unfortunately my pleas to stop are usually met with "lol who cares". Which is ironic since I'm actively asking him to stop, thus exposing myself as the "person who cares" but let's be real here, when you bot in a game you have no perception of anyone but yourself.

You mean we're trying to use the designed Gym feature, as designed.

The feature that's in the game, presented to us, to play. We're trying to use it the correct way, and that's apparently being "too competitive".

At least other people in the thread are arguing the rational behind WHY someone would bot, while still actively condemning it. But trying to argue that botters should just be allowed to do what they want because they don't bother you personally is the most "fuck you got mine" sentiment you can have.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The thing is, instead of explaining, people are talking down like they are superior or something. And nobody is remotely grinding any Pokemon from their house.

There are apps out there now that use a script and GPS spoofer to powerlevel your account catching dozens and dozens of pokemon in the progress.

How would you call that? They certainly aren't leaving their house and yet they amass hundreds of Pokemon and enough dust to level them indefinitely.
I feel odd to even have to argue about the fact that this is a detriment to the overall game and the way it's supposed to be played. How is it not?

Uh, Hoo-doo actually made a snarky comment first and I was only responding.

Let me ask you something. If we lived in the same neighborhood and I happened to go by you and say "Hey, I saw a Dragonite on my map on the next block." Would you not follow me and try to catch it?

Are we really doing this? You started this entire chain of nonsense by calling anyone who was against botting and GPS tools 'Niantic white knights' and 'Niantic patrol officers' when in fact it's just people who want to play the game as designed.

PSFan

This is you:

And you're complaining that OTHER people are the one's talking down?

OH, OH, is it more anecdotal evidence time? Because I literally know of people doing this. The guy sitting beside me (at work) is actually doing it right now. Unfortunately my pleas to stop are usually met with "lol who cares". Which is ironic since I'm actively asking him to stop, thus exposing myself as the "person who cares" but let's be real here, when you bot in a game you have no perception of anyone but yourself.

You mean we're trying to use the designed Gym feature, as designed.

The feature that's in the game, presented to us, to play. We're trying to use it the correct way, and that's apparently being "too competitive".

Uh, Hoo-doo actually made a snarky comment first and I was only responding.

Let me ask you something. If we lived in the same neighborhood and I happened to go by you and say "Hey, I saw a Dragonite on my map on the next block." Would you not follow me and try to catch it?

There are apps out there now that use a script and GPS spoofer to powerlevel your account catching dozens and dozens of pokemon in the progress.

How would you call that? They certainly aren't leaving their house and yet they amass hundreds of Pokemon and enough dust to level them indefinitely.
I feel odd to even have to argue about the fact that this is a detriment to the overall game and the way it's supposed to be played. How is it not?

To be honest, I didn't even know that was a thing until now. Dust isn't that hard to come by, you get it a lot. But maybe Niantic needs to make levelling not so difficult and time consuming to get more people interested. One candy for transferring a Pokemon no matter what level or evolution it is? That's a bit ridiculous and makes levelling a more of a chore than something fun to do.

Hell, I don't even feel as attached to my Pokemon in this as I do in the regular games. Why can't we just keep a team of 6 with us or something, and have a storage box accessible from Pokestops if we want to change team members?

Are we really doing this? You started this entire chain of nonsense by calling anyone who was against botting and GPS tools 'Niantic white knights' and 'Niantic patrol officers' when in fact it's just people who want to play the game as designed.

It wasn't just anyone. I was responding to one person, then a whole handful of people piled on me about it.

Ugh! I wished the tracking worked like it suppose to!! There's a Mankey outside somewhere but it's disappeared and reappeared, jumped around on my list, and the compass isn't really helping at all. (And poke vision claims there is nothing at all anywhere near me...)

ironmang

If you're talking about me with the inaccurate quote I was challenging your idea that hundreds of experiences will be ruined by one guy occasionally spoofing to capture gyms instead of driving there or whatever. Obviously some people care very passionately about holding gyms but the idea that it's important to that many people in a general area just seems bizarre to me given how broken the gym system currently is. Gyms just seem like something to quickly take and hold just long enough to cash in the coins.

Mik2121

All this discussing stuff is boring, but one thing I'll say is, if you are botting in this game from your home, you are missing the whole point of the game and potentially ruining some people's fun (those who care about gyms).

Hopefully Niantic starts banning people's asses left and right.

MrHoot

Again tho, sure botting can fuck up the early game now for gyms. But what about 2-3 months down when regular high level players will start gating them off with just a slew of high CP pokes ?

The system doesn't nearly have enough depth (as balance it pretty wonk, spamminess and revive+ potions galore) or incentive (evolutions getting their attacks changed at random, no involvement once gym is taken, and barely being able to keep it more than a few hours)

I mean when I started, there were already gyarados's and lapra's with 1900 CP in arenas due to people playing a week before the "official" release in switzerland. In a month, most gyms will only have stacks of incredibly high CP pokemons. Will that not ruin it for new players in any case ?

The gyms will end up gated either way because that's how they are

Red

All this discussing stuff is boring, but one thing I'll say is, if you are botting in this game from your home, you are missing the whole point of the game and potentially ruining some people's fun (those who care about gyms).

That's essentially one side of the argument. The other is "who cares."

Mik2121

That's essentially one side of the argument. The other is "who cares."
If you don't care about the game nor the users, why are you even doing this and what's the purpose of botting?

Honest question.

(I'm not saying that YOU do this, I'm taking about botters in general)

This is cheating no matter how you look at it (not talking about Pokevision or other stuff but straight using bots). How could anyone support this other than "I wanna fuck with people actually caring about the game"?

CoolOff

This beauty showed up on Pokevision about 7 minutes from where I live, with 10 minutes on the clock to go. I ran like hell and almost shouted "yes!" when I got there and it was ???.

diqK69j.png

My best by about 500 cp now. Shit moveset I guess, but who cares.

Red

If you don't care about the game nor the users, why are you even doing this and what's the purpose of botting?

Honest question.

(I'm not saying that YOU do this, I'm taking about botters in general)

This is cheating no matter how you look at it (not talking about Pokevision or other stuff but straight using bots). How could anyone support this other than "I wanna fuck with people actually caring about the game"?
I mean, yeah... I've been saying basically this half the page now.

Jintor

I really wish the game was built in such a way to iancentivise picking a team of Pokemon and training them up instead of just throwing mons into a candy woodchipper

Chinner

Banned
I really wish the game was built in such a way to iancentivise picking a team of Pokemon and training them up instead of just throwing mons into a candy woodchipper
I'm hoping the game will get there eventually. Content updates will define this game on the long run.

The Cowboy

I'm out and about and hit level 20, then I spot a Gengar "WAHOOO BABY!!!" - it's level 26 "WTF!!!".

Dam this game, dam it to hell.

Jebusman

Banned
If you're talking about me with the inaccurate quote I was challenging your idea that hundreds of experiences will be ruined by one guy occasionally spoofing to capture gyms instead of driving there or whatever. Obviously some people care very passionately about holding gyms but the idea that it's important to that many people in a general area just seems bizarre to me given how broken the gym system currently is. Gyms just seem like something to quickly take and hold just long enough to cash in the coins.

It seems bizarre to you, but if your entire reasoning why is "People where I am don't care", all I can counter with is "people where I am do". I know people who actively go out of their way to re-capture gyms the moment they see them go up. I've seen gyms flipflop between the 3 teams 20-30+ times in a day. I've seen people group up in a car literally driving around town trying to capture every gym they can, only to see another group ready to take it all back. The reward means nothing to them. This is part of the game and it's the part they've decided to invest in. They travel and roam and even come face to face at times as they fight over these gyms. All of that gets thrown away when some guy can just do it from the comfort (and occasionally safety) of his home.

The gym system may be flawed and simplistic, but a core (and surprisingly large) group of people around where I am actively engage with it. And botters who can gps spoof their way there and take it within seconds after having grinded the pokemon mill without next to zero effort, can ruin the enjoyment it's been.

P44

Fixes for rural areas needs to come before they start clamping down on Pokevision and all of that shit.

As it stands, the game isn't very fun played properly out here. I've got no tracking to help me hunt down all these 4 pidgeys in my area is basically a good summary of the situation. I go into the city once a week and manage to experience it properly then.

Haven't seen anyone playing where I am, I'm not in a big city or anything though. I've been playing while walking my dog and can't seem to find anything other than Rattata, Pidgey, Spearow and Zubat.

I probably won't bother with it anymore but it sounds cool if you are living in certain places and I'm glad it's a success.

ironmang

It seems bizarre to you, but if your entire reasoning why is "People where I am don't care", all I can counter with is "people where I am do". I know people who actively go out of their way to re-capture gyms the moment they see them go up. I've seen gyms flipflop between the 3 teams 20-30+ times in a day. I've seen people group up in a car literally driving around town trying to capture every gym they can, only to see another group ready to take it all back. The reward means nothing to them. This is part of the game and it's the part they've decided to invest in. They travel and roam and even come face to face at times as they fight over these gyms. All of that gets thrown away when some guy can just do it from the comfort (and occasionally safety) of his home.

The gym system may be flawed and simplistic, but a core (and surprisingly large) group of people around where I am actively engage with it. And botters who can gps spoof their way there and take it within seconds after having grinded the pokemon mill without next to zero effort, can ruin the enjoyment it's been.

Is quoting me really this difficult? Like I don't even see the need to read and reply to the rest when your post starts with you putting words in my mouth.

Nosgotham

You're right. I should drive thirty minutes one way to get an arbitrary statue and sit there for 4 hours while I refill my stock for the week.

Fucking lol.

Drop a couple lures, meet some people etc, sounds like fun to me . I do it all the time, but its 15 min

T.O.P

Banned
I'm kinda getting tired of having to drive at least 15 minutes before getting to a decent place that spawns something outside of common pokemons

All I do lately is get on my bike and burn incenses

cyba89

Lol there are really people botting Pokémon in this game? They are defeating the whole point of the game. That's kinda sad.

PSFan

I'm kinda getting tired of having to drive at least 15 minutes before getting to a decent place that spawns something outside of common pokemons

All I do lately is get on my bike and burn incenses

Yeah, it's getting a bit monotonous. It's even worse when a 2k egg hatches a Pidgey or Caterpie. Do those commons really need to come out of eggs too? They spawn enough randomly.

Quazar

So are people against poke vision as well? I do t see much problem with it. I still do my normal walks and drives even with it. The only thing it has changed is when I want to chill, I atleast get an idea of when it's worth to walk a min or two down street. The scripting going on is kind of whack as it definitely takes away the parts of the game I like, the thrill of the hunt, and social aspects.

bots: Niantic have lost control of this thing. They need to change the API and do a full reset/restart. But they can't.

btw.

I did a light-weight pokevision style url that is easy to hit up on your phone. Your location is sent encrypted and I am not storing them against anyones IP or anything.

You get back the nearby local spawns, with links to google or apple maps with walking route. No location spoofing.

http://64.91.255.98/front/gaftest.html

if it comes up with nothing after a search delay, wait a minute and search again.

I'll just 404 the URL if necessary due to bugs or load, so don't tweet it or anything.
thanks for making this, already found some spawns in spots I normally don't check. apparently the golf course by me is home to some ponyta..

GulAtiCa

I'm only against Pokevision and others like it in the sense to that it adds to the already troubling server issues.

Otherwise, when it comes to it, I'm fine with it. As it doesn't really give you that much of an advantage.

The bot scripts however, I hope get people banned. Just stupid. Esp if it leads to Gyms being controlled by bots.....

Razmos

I don't see anything wrong with pokevision, in fact I think it makes it more fun. I saw that a Dragonite spawned outside my house earlier with 2 minutes left and I rushed out to catch it haha.

Betting really is sucks though, or installing scripts and the like

KingBroly

Banned
So apparently there might be a Legendary Bird spawn today at the Comic Con Panel.

I don't know what that'll do, especially for those of us not there.

Darryl

Banned
Not in favor of bots per se, but more against people getting upset about them and things like Pokevision when it doesn't hinder their game or fun in any way. It's not an MMO like WoW or FFXI. Nobody is losing out on anything by people using external tools and such.

You can't speak for millions of other people. It's supremely unsatisfying for you maybe, but I'm sure many others find it "supremely unsatisfying" to see Pidgeys and Rattattas pop 95% of the time.

Exactly how will that make interest die off quickly? The majority of the people playing this game probably don't even know what a bot is. Let's not forget, there's still literally over 500 pokemon yet to be added to the game. Interest won't die off because of botters or map users. Niantic has plenty of things left to keep people playing,

People are losing out tho. The game has public battling, will have trading, raids, and who knows what else. This is an MMO. There's a reason your saved data isn't stored locally.

Also, don't go around belittling people. The majority of people playing don't know what a bot is. Are you kidding me? Everyone and their mom knows what a bot is. This isn't 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom