• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bots: Niantic have lost control of this thing. They need to change the API and do a full reset/restart. But they can't.

btw.

I did a light-weight pokevision style url that is easy to hit up on your phone. Your location is sent encrypted and I am not storing them against anyones IP or anything.

You get back the nearby local spawns, with links to google or apple maps with walking route. No location spoofing.

http://64.91.255.98/front/gaftest.html

if it comes up with nothing after a search delay, wait a minute and search again.

I'll just 404 the URL if necessary due to bugs or load, so don't tweet it or anything.

This is awesome, thanks. Works perfectly

Solobbos

bots: Niantic have lost control of this thing. They need to change the API and do a full reset/restart. But they can't.

btw.

I did a light-weight pokevision style url that is easy to hit up on your phone. Your location is sent encrypted and I am not storing them against anyones IP or anything.

You get back the nearby local spawns, with links to google or apple maps with walking route. No location spoofing.

if it comes up with nothing after a search delay, wait a minute and search again.

I'll just 404 the URL if necessary due to bugs or load, so don't tweet it or anything.
Any tips on how to get this to work on Android Chrome?
E: Says "Error: User opted not to share location?" Even though Chrome is set to ask me about locations.

Well I guess a big part of the perceived "cheating" comes from the fact that you can place the scan marker anywhere. So let's say you scan a place more than a mile away, and you find some rare Pokemon there. You hop in your car and go chase it down, and you wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for Pokevision, since the game itself wouldn't have tracked a Pokemon that far away.

I think the thing that makes stuff like Pokevision acceptable for me is that the case you outline is mostly impossible. Intelligence outside a certain radius is extremely difficult to act upon; unless you can drive there in less than 15 minutes (and that's the best-case scenario where you're watching the map 24/7), you're not going to get that rare pokemon. In large cities, that effective radius is still pretty small. Stuff like Pokevision makes it much easier to spot nests, so if you manage to see that a certain type you don't have spawns often in a location more than 15 minutes away from you, you can make plans to go. But this doesn't really feel much different from hearing about it from friends or cruising your local Pokemon GO subreddit for tips. Pokevision seems most useful for pinpointing the location of stuff in your immediate area, and that's when it feels the most like a cheat. But it also means its usefulness is limited unless you're already out and about and watching Pokevision constantly while you do so (or using one of the versions that notifies you, which feels a bit more cheat-y).

JoeM86

You're deluding yourself.

Gyms exist as a competitive aspect. Trading will soon be integrated. Friends and passers by communicate about where to find rare Pokémon. Raids have been teased. Much of the game is built around multiplayer. If there has ever been a strictly multiplayer Pokémon game, this is it.

Sorry but I have to agree with PSFan in terms of the game's multiplayer status.

There is very little actual multiplayer in this game. There is no actual player interaction. We need proper player to player interactions, even if it's just "Challenges" that you set eachother. Yes, trades are coming and we may have Legendary Raids at some point, but this is solely a single player experience masquerading as multiplayer.

btw.

I haven't tried this yet but sounds too good to be true. if true you the real MVP bro

I'll try it today

thaOwner

btw.

This is amazing. Thank you.

thaOwner

Any tips on how to get this to work on Android Chrome?
E: Says "Error: User opted not to share location?" Even though Chrome is set to ask me about locations.

If on iOS, edit location settings for safari and browser. I'm sure it's the same for android as well. Make sure to allow your location to be viewed in browser.

JoeNut

btw.

Wow that seemed to work, I'm not gonna use it, but interesting. Good job

They need to do something to nerf Eeveelutions. I just saw 9 gyms nearly in a row, all of which had a Vaporeon leading. Flareons were also common. The other day I cleared a gym and less than 30 seconds later there was a Vaporeon abd a Jolteon in it.

PSFan

There is very little actual multiplayer in this game. There is no actual player interaction. We need proper player to player interactions, even if it's just "Challenges" that you set eachother. Yes, trades are coming and we may have Legendary Raids at some point, but this is solely a single player experience masquerading as multiplayer.

Thank you Joe. Do you really think Legendaries will be done in raids? As opposed to just releasing them and announcing that they are out there and to keep an eye out?

I think it would be kinda neat to be just strolling around one day and a Mew just pops on your phone out of nowhere.

Darryl

Banned
They need to do something to nerf Eeveelutions. I just saw 9 gyms nearly in a row, all of which had a Vaporeon leading. Flareons were also common. The other day I cleared a gym and less than 30 seconds later there was a Vaporeon abd a Jolteon in it.

yea, they absolutely dominate. i've been playing the game constantly and all i have worthwhile is the three eevolutions @ high level and a boss Golduck. the only pokemon that deserves to be powerful is the Golduck. they're not only extremely powerful but incredibly easy to get. 25 candies with 500~ CP eevees common in the wild? it should be 100, the high CP eevees should be rarer, and the evolutions should still be weaker.

Yeah, these three seem to make up about 90% of the gyms in my city.

Permanently A

nah give vaporeon double the health of comparable pokemon because fuck it

Uhhhhh...

Now I've already done it twice with each evolution. Does it not allow you to do it anymore after a certain amount of attempts?

From what I've been told I'd to name your Evee, close the app, restart it and then evolve your Evee

Work 3 times for me(or I'm extremely lucky)

MrHoot

btw.

Oh btw i've tried this ! But what does "distance fix inaccurate" mean ? Is it a margin of error ?

Tall4Life

btw.

I keep trying this but it says that the user opted not to share location. Any idea what might be wrong? I have location tracking turned on on my phone.

moozoom

For what it's worth, the French servers are really stable and I had absolutely no connexion problems since this morning. Glad I waited for the official launch cause the experience was quite pleasing while wandering through Paris today.

Of course, all the gyms are already taken by super high levelled monsters, but I'll take that as motivation to go out a little more.

Darryl

Banned

i'm out in person taking gyms all the time, and there's dozens of people with me at these gyms taking them all the time. i go out with my gf and we enter battles at the same time, and we can see each other fight the same monster. we agree on what monsters to use and we agree on what monsters to stack the gym with. this is more honest multiplayer (playing with real, live people, who are having honest interactions with you) than some of the multiplayer in other pokemon games. when I played X/Y, i did some random trading mechanic that sent my pokemon to some stranger. i gave random people who popped up on my screen a like. and that's about it. i liked the multiplayer in that game, or at least the "potential" the multiplayer had (never used much of that potential). but my experience with that game was largely interacting with anonymous people, the people could've been bots for all i could tell. i'd have no way of knowing.

JoeM86

i'm out in person taking gyms all the time, and there's dozens of people with me at these gyms taking them all the time. i go out with my gf and we enter battles at the same time, and we can see each other fight the same monster. we agree on what monsters to use and we agree on what monsters to stack the gym with. this is more honest multiplayer (playing with real, live people, who are having honest interactions with you) than some of the multiplayer in other pokemon games. when I played X/Y, i did some random trading mechanic that sent my pokemon to some stranger. i gave random people who popped up on my screen a like. and that's about it. i liked the multiplayer in that game, or at least the "potential" the multiplayer had (never used much of that potential). but my experience with that game was largely interacting with anonymous people, the people could've been bots for all i could tell. i'd have no way of knowing.

That is the only interaction, but it's barely interaction. It's two or more players fighting an AI opponent representing a human player.

Proper multiplayer requires actual player interaction. You cannot judge the main game's multiplayer based just on Wonder Trade. That's madness.

There is no actual multiplayer in this game yet.,

btw.

I keep getting this error:
UtKJwUj.png

But as you can see from the status bar I'm sending my location.

Falchion

Just used PokeVision for the first time down at the beach and it was awesome, really helps out since the radar is broken.

correojon

Just got back from a nearby city were I´ve spent the weekend. Got lots of Pokemons that are nowhere to be found in my city! Also, on Friday I found a Dratini on my way there but it escaped me...but I just found it on th esame exact spot on the way back and got it!

This game is awesome XD

Edit: BTW, servers have been smooth the whole weekend, even with Japan hittin´em hard. Kudos to Niantic, hope they fix the radar now.

Went out on my bike and found a 10 minute circuit which has 3 pokestops on it. Quite good but after a while I noticed the stops were giving out less pokeballs and more eggs, revives and potions.

xillyriax

btw.

Possible to add time remain on these spawns?

PSFan

That is the only interaction, but it's barely interaction. It's two or more players fighting an AI opponent representing a human player.

Proper multiplayer requires actual player interaction. You cannot judge the main game's multiplayer based just on Wonder Trade. That's madness.

Exactly. There is no actual PvP interaction. Just because you're taking down a gym with a friend, doesn't make it multiplayer. I can do that with a complete stranger standing next to me and not even talk to them.

Just two single players battling an AI.

Darryl

Banned
That is the only interaction, but it's barely interaction.

It's two or more players fighting an AI opponent representing a human player.

it's not dissimilar to the "horde" mode a lot of games have, where you team up with people to fight an army of bots. those are still considered multiplayer cuz you have to interact with your team to overcome an obstacle. this game's current iteration isn't that amazing at it cuz it's very unbalanced, but you know, it has potential. it's got a lot of it actually. lots of games don't have straight up PVP either. there' stuff like minecraft or ffxi where it's all players vs environment.

JoeM86

it's not dissimilar to the "horde" mode a lot of games have, where you team up with people to fight an army of bots. those are still considered multiplayer cuz you have to interact with your team to overcome an obstacle. this game's current iteration isn't that amazing at it cuz it's very unbalanced, but you know, it has potential. it's got a lot of it actually. lots of games don't have straight up PVP either. there' stuff like minecraft or ffxi where it's all players vs environment.

But even in those games there's an element of player interaction. There isn't here.

Red

But even in those games there's an element of player interaction. There isn't here.
Of course there is. Players can plan units for defense and offense. They interact in the real world. Just because in-game unit interaction doesn't happen in real time doesn't mean it's not multiplayer. Multiple players are involved. That's all it takes.

I think of it as an asynchronous battle system. One person leaves a Pokémon of a certain strength and type, another person counters.

Darryl

Banned

I'm having it, tho. Lots of people are. I see people out on the streets with the groups of friends taking gyms over together all the time.. One of our primary downtown gyms (there is 2 good ones) is near a bar and you can hear people yelling to each other inside the bar while playing. It's been a fun event there trying to top each other and work together to control it. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. It's shallow on the surface but the interactions are rich because of the way the game is designed.

You can't argue that there is firmly no multiplayer elements when you can enter into a battle with your friend. I can hit the monster and she can see it, and we fight together to reduce the monster's HP bar. When all my Pokemon die, I sit there to a blank screen and get to watch her fight and hope she takes it down (her pokemon are way better than mine, so I usually die first). That's multiplayer. You're arguing that it isn't enough, but I disagree. The way the game is designed makes even minor multiplayer elements pretty engaging.

JoeM86

Of course there is. Players can plan units for defense and offense. They interact in the real world. Just because in-game unit interaction doesn't happen in real time doesn't mean it's not multiplayer. Multiple players are involved. That's all it takes.

I think of it as an asynchronous battle system. One person leaves a Pokémon of a certain strength and type, another person counters.

But players don't actually interact in the game.

It doesn't matter if you meet other people or talk to them about it, that doesn't make the game multiplayer. That makes it a social single player game, but not a multiplayer game.

Red

It doesn't matter if you meet other people or talk to them about it, that doesn't make the game multiplayer. That makes it a social single player game, but not a multiplayer game.
What's the difference between communicating the location of a Pokémon in the real world and pointing out the location of an enemy combatant in a multiplayer FPS? Let's make it an AI controlled unit in a co-op game for parity's sake.

PSFan

I've interacted with more people in person and made connections in these two weeks then I ever have over a mic. There is your element.

But on the game screen it was still only your character, you didn't see or interact with their characters in the actual game.

What's the difference between communicating the location of a Pokémon in the real world and pointing out the location of an enemy combatant in a multiplayer FPS? Let's make it an AI controlled unit in a co-op game for parity's sake.

The difference is the enemy combatant is a single instance of that combatant. The Pokemon at the location isn't. If the Pokemon were only catchable by the first person to get there, that would be more multiplayer and competitive.

Darryl

Banned

I think you're missing the multiplayer features of the game. Here's how a battle works.

1. Player 1 enters the gym. He takes it down to 70%.
2. Player 2 enters the gym. Because he's a late entry, he's immediately hit for a massive amount of damage for the time he's missed.
3. The players simultaneously hit the gym leader's Pokemon. They can see each other in the battle field. They can see when the other player changes Pokemon.
4. The gym now has 1 Pokemon left. Player 1 dies.
5. Player 1 now sits in the gym and waits for the battle to end. He can see it getting his HP lower.
6. Player 2 wins. Both Player 1 and Player 2 take the victory, and both get victory XP.

Red

I think you're missing the multiplayer features of the game. Here's how a battle works.

1. Player 1 enters the gym. He takes it down to 70%.
2. Player 2 enters the gym. Because he's a late entry, he's immediately hit for a massive amount of damage for the time he's missed.
3. The players simultaneously hit the gym leader's Pokemon. They can see each other in the battle field. They can see when the other player changes Pokemon.
4. The gym now has 1 Pokemon left. Player 1 dies.
5. Player 1 now sits in the gym and waits for the battle to end. He can see it getting his HP lower.
6. Player 2 wins. Both Player 1 and Player 2 take the victory, and both get victory XP.
I think too many people don't know about this because the game does a horrible job communicating its features.
The difference is the enemy combatant is a single instance of that combatant. The Pokemon at the location isn't. If the Pokemon were only catchable by the first person to get there, that would be more multiplayer and competitive.
Why does this aspect need to be competitive to count as multiplayer?

If players form a net to spread out and locate Pokémon over a broad area, and communicate locations to one another, why is that not cooperative multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom