• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda-zebra

Family day out in the countryside, told my son we might find some new pokémon, he was hyped.

061dak7x.png

So yea, this game is not much fun outside towns and cities, I can definitely see that.

PSFan

I think too many people don't know about this because the game does a horrible job communicating its features.

Why does this aspect need to be competitive to count as multiplayer?

If players form a net to spread out and locate Pokémon over a broad area, and communicate locations to one another, why is that not cooperative multiplayer?

I was just trying to show how it's not like the FPS enemy combatant analogy. Also, nobody is seeking to kill the Pokemon like they are with an enemy in a FPS.

Tall4Life

Ok, with that GAF server, I don't get a pop up on Chrome asking if I want to allow the website to use my location. I get that pop up if use the Samsung Internet browser. Don't know how you can fix that, but I think that might be the problem.

JoeM86

I think you're missing the multiplayer features of the game. Here's how a battle works.

1. Player 1 enters the gym. He takes it down to 70%.
2. Player 2 enters the gym. Because he's a late entry, he's immediately hit for a massive amount of damage for the time he's missed.
3. The players simultaneously hit the gym leader's Pokemon. They can see each other in the battle field. They can see when the other player changes Pokemon.
4. The gym now has 1 Pokemon left. Player 1 dies.
5. Player 1 now sits in the gym and waits for the battle to end. He can see it getting his HP lower.
6. Player 2 wins. Both Player 1 and Player 2 take the victory, and both get victory XP.

I'm really not missing anything.

That is one very loose multiplayer example, and it's not enough to call it a multiplayer game.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Family day out in the countryside, told my son we might find some new pokémon, he was hyped.

So yea, this game is not much fun outside towns and cities, I can definitely see that.

the business model for the game is to make rural parents buy incense so their kids won't be disappointed.

Darryl

Banned

That is one very loose multiplayer example, and it's not enough to call it a multiplayer game.

I'm just making sure that you're aware that's how it works. Your argument to me seemed like you were saying that you couldn't interact with other players at all, and it's not true because you can go into live battles with your friends. And it isn't a hardly used feature, people are constantly live battling with their friends against other groups at probably every single gym located near a good walking area over quite a large part of the entire world. Trying to control a gym at this point without friends is a waste of time. The single Pokemon you put up will be knocked down in 10 seconds, and be replaced by another group with 2-3 members who can fill the gym's base 3 slots instantly.

All you motherfuckers saying its easy to get Eevees. I've got 15 candies and been playing since the 10th.

Been stuck on 59 for four or five days now.

NolbertoS

So I finally joined rhe masses yestersay and in one day levelled to LVL. 15 from LVL. 1. It helped that there's a place in Vancouver, Canada with 5 landmarks within a vicinity at a mall and people dropping lures at all 5 landmarks. This game is too addicting. Went to anothet park location at 11pm with 4 lures nearby and there was like 100 people at night there, from bikers, skaters, goths, kids, and even old folk past 60 tryingo collect the Pokemon. Never though Nintendo could get even all social classes of society together. Kudos to them :). I guess the doomsayers will still say this is a fad.

I can't help but catch everything I come across. then after like 20 pokeballs with some escapes, i'm low or close to empty and start seeing pokemon that are actually worthwhile

L Thammy

So I finally joined rhe masses yestersay and in one day levelled to LVL. 15 from LVL. 1. It helped that there's a place in Vancouver, Canada with 5 landmarks within a vicinity at a mall and people dropping lures at all 5 landmarks. This game is too addicting. Went to anothet park location at 11pm with 4 lures nearby and there was like 100 people at night there, from bikers, skaters, goths, kids, and even old folk past 60 tryingo collect the Pokemon. Never though Nintendo could get even all social classes of society together. Kudos to them :). I guess the doomsayers will still say this is a fad.

I'm only at level 12 and I've been playing for a week or so. I thought I was doing well. ._.

NolbertoS

I'm only at level 12 and I've been playing for a week or so. I thought I was doing well. ._.

You know I never expected to get addicted to Pokemon. Last Pokemon game I pkayed was on Gameboy era, might get Pokemon Sun and Moon now. Also I never realized that people would carry UsB charger paks to those locations. I saw people bringing back packs full on juice to play Pokemon Go 24-7. Don't know if other cities in the US and Asia are as hardcore as Vancouverites

Ydelnae

nvm, just checked the Pokedex shillouette and its Fearow. He sent me a tweet about the legendary birds from a verified account and that got me suspecting it was real.

Tall4Life

A friend told me he saw Moltres near a gym. I was walking my dog so I just decided to get close and see if he was right.

Either it's a weird Fearow model or it's really Moltres. I've been playing the games since Red and Blue and I can't distinguish if it's really him.

Screenshot it and we can tell you. It's probably a Gastly.

Razmos

Caught a Dragonite, Vulpix and Hitmonlee today while just hanging out at home and checking Pokevision. It's kinda fun honestly to see it on the map and race out there. I suck at being spontaneous and it's kinda neat

Vena

Man. Try to be safe outside.

Its 33C out and humid as hell here, remember to drink and stay hydrated. Seen people walking around who look ready to drop from heat exhaustion in this weather.

Zafir

There's some parts in my city where there's not a single pokestop in miles. Basically city centres and certain town hotspots are the place to be, outside of that it can be rough pickings.

Red

It might be worth noting Nintendo considers it a multiplayer game. But if it's not enough for players to be able to coordinate within the same game world, if it's not enough for them to be able to influence the behavior of the game world through lures, if it's not enough for them to use their powered-up Pokémon to claim territory, and to cooperate with other players in simultaneous interactions with AI-controlled opponents to conquer new territory, what would be enough for you? When they add trades, will you call it multiplayer?

Razmos

It definitely wasn't Moltres spawning in here, but more people are reporting seeing the legendary birds models in the app. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they weren't featured in the pokedex before.

https://twitter.com/jamieellison46/status/757257704436015104

Has something been announced regarding this?
It's always looked like that. The Pokedex only shows up to the highest pokemon you've caught, but the initial pokemon registration scene has always shown the pokemon grayed out as silhouettes, and the models for all 151 pokemon are all in the game already. There was never any question of them being in the game, the question is how they spawn.

PSFan

Is it possible that Pokemon can spawn more often after they've been caught by a certain number of people in an area? I just seem to see some Pokemon start to spawn more often after I have caught a few of them. And I'm sure many others in my neighborhood have caught them too.

For instance, I now have a few Vulpix, I used to not see him spawn at all in my area. Now I see spawns several times a day.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Fuck yeah Pidgey\Caterpie\Weedle.
800+ exp per if you evolve under lucky egg. Shit is best. Did 8-12 by burning my reserves today.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i leveled up and my items now exceed my carry limit. is it that you get the items from leveling even if you're at the limit, but you won't get items from pokestops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom