• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they couldn't have sideloaded the app, or happened to load an account from another region, or any other plausible reason?

And the whole team shaming thing is honestly just embarrassing, considering most players just pick it by color preference or legendary bird thanks to the lack of info given in-game, regardless of what preconceived notions people on internet forums might have.

Edit: I'm not valor, in case someone thinks I'm in defense mode. If I ever do go that far in defense of some arbitrary choice, lock me up in some psych ward, please

They couldn't play the game even sideloading because the map data is locked for most of the Asian regions and South America. We could only see a blank map when opening the game before release. So either they have used GPS spoofing or traveled overseas to get these pokemon.

Personally, I think shit talking is a part of these team-based MMO, but I understand why you are upset about it. This is my first time to shit talk other teams, probably because I am too excited about the game. I apologize if you feel offended.

People in China have been using a hacked app signed with a compromised enterprise certificate that lets you enter GPS coordinates and it will spoof it. A lot of Chinese players both in China and elsewhere just do that to get all the rare Pokémon from other countries. They really need to start banning people flying around using GPS spoofs.

Yeah, this is the most probable scenario. I just saw a Dragonite on top of a gym (next to the one with Gyarado).

Azuran17

Neo Member
I can confirm Cypress Lawn is full of pokestops. It is a little crazy lol

Check out SSF Bart. Dratini nest :)

Thanks mate Ill check that out. i found this nest on one of my expeditions and have confirmed with LiveMap that the golf course near pacifica beach (Sharp Park) is a growlithe nest. this was before i knew about LiveMap and the existence of nests xD hopefully this would serve u well and many others. the perimeter is just close enough to reach the spawns. esp if u take a coastal dirt path.

EDIT: um do the dratini spawn at certain times of day? i was also told there's a nest @ Stow lake, SF, CA. But i see nothing with the LiveMap at this time of night for both SSF Bart station and Stow lake

mugwhump

It occurs to me that the disparity in number of pokemon between urban and rural areas might be from technical limitations. After all, pokemon do exist server-side and each incurs a small cost. It makes sense to concentrate pokemon where there are more players to actually catch them.

I think a fair compromise would be to increase the quality of pokemon in rural areas in exchange for quantity. It's fine if more isolated areas have fewer pokes if the ones there are slightly rarer or the variety's better.

It occurs to me that the disparity in number of pokemon between urban and rural areas might be from technical limitations. After all, pokemon do exist server-side and each incurs a small cost. It makes sense to concentrate pokemon where there are more players to actually catch them.

I think a fair compromise would be to increase the quality of pokemon in rural areas in exchange for quantity. It's fine if more isolated areas have fewer pokes if the ones there are slightly rarer or the variety's better.

I was thinking that but then twigged that the database doesn't spawn pokemon unless they are being looked for. So rural areas can be empty and have no db load, until someone goes there, then they could be more frequent and in particular there should be certain ones that hate cities to counter-balance the density of pokestops and gyms.

On the other hand, all the spawn points in an any area are pre-calculated. I suspect they ran an algorithm that was strongly biased to roads and parks and avoided lakes and private buildings. So that algorithm didn't have much to go on in the country. With less spawn points, perhaps the spawning algorithm just doesn't have as much to place. If you are on a long straight road in the middle of nowhere there are few map features to locate spawn points that aren't inaccessible.

foladar

50k to level at level 20? Jesus Christ

the real fun begins at 23+ .. level 25 is 190k. slows down real quick past 20, wish the level cap was like 100 so it would feel like there was more progression, even if it was the same stuff. always looked forward to those balls at the level.

if you're in central FL, you'll probably want to check out Lakefront Park Kissimmee, saw Raichu, Rapidash, Primeape, and Arcanine in 30ish minutes. Got Ninetails earlier that day, too. Best place I've seen around here, lots of starters and variety.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think a better alternative is just to create a single player mode. If we assume that the social aspect is all but impossible in a highly rural area then at least the players there should be able to play in their own instance pokeverse. Maybe it can overlap with the "real world" so there's still some degree of interplay.

johnsmith

remember me
I think a better alternative is just to create a single player mode. If we assume that the social aspect is all but impossible in a highly rural area then at least the players there should be able to play in their own instance pokeverse. Maybe it can overlap with the "real world" so there's still some degree of interplay.

They're never going to do that. Why would they waste resources to cater to a minority of players? Most people live in urban and suburban areas with plenty of pokemon and plenty of poke stops. If where you live really sucks that much for the game, then they already have plenty of single player games on the 3DS. They should play those instead.

Muku

My friend told me rubbing the pokeball as it closes helps, but I assume that's the modern down+b.

Haha, that's a new one. I heard, until reading this article, to let the Pokeball go away to increase your chances. Worked pretty well for me. But I imagine at times it goes away because Pokemon broke out anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They're never going to do that. Why would they waste resources to cater to a minority of players? Most people live in urban and suburban areas with plenty of pokemon and plenty of poke stops. If where you live really sucks that much for the game, then they already have plenty of single player games on the 3DS. They should play those instead.

I see this whole... thing as the larval stages of a possible revolution in games and game design. I'm much more interested in the future of AR than VR, and I would hate to leave anyone out of that future.

I don't actually think they're going to "waste resources" catering to these players, but if they have the inclination to do so, this is one way to do it.

Makeda

Finally I can take part in the game - I so far managed to catch two pokemon (Spearow & Zubat) during my lunchbreak but need to get a new phone next week to really go all out and catch more... this one keeps dropping my gps location and more importantly heating up to insane levels when playing.

That happens to me either after going to a pokestop or after catching a pokemon, sometimes it fixes itself, other times i need to restart the app

Yep, exactly the same situation. It is frustrating and I really want to know if it is a hardware/software issue.

Forkball

Poke Mecca has been found.

Zim3qH0.jpg

Razmos

Has anyone tried this trick? I hate when folks say hacks these days for tips and tricks kinda stuff. -_-;

If 'Pokémon Go' Freezes While Catching a Pokémon, Here's How to Make Sure You Keep It
Nah that's completely unnecessary. The pokemon is either caught when you throw the ball or it breaks out and you lose it. Once it is in the ball when the crash occurs, the outcome is set when you reset the app.

Happened to me so many times where the game has frozen like that, and I reset the app and the pokemon actually was caught, but the reverse is also true.

Everything apart from "restart the app and hope for the best" is completely pointless and makes no difference.

eek5

Yep, exactly the same situation. It is frustrating and I really want to know if it is a hardware/software issue.

It's probably a server issue. Do you have a white spinning pokeball when this happens?

Has anyone tried this trick? I hate when folks say hacks these days for tips and tricks kinda stuff. -_-;

If 'Pokémon Go' Freezes While Catching a Pokémon, Here's How to Make Sure You Keep It

Supposedly on these freezes the outcome is already determined (it only freezes on run away or catch) so you just have to wait for the white ball to stop spinning and restart the app.

Permanently A

When the game freezes during capture the Pokemon still has a chance of being on the field if it wasn't captured or it despawns. Just get in the habit of closing the app as soon as you know it froze. I think Pokemon that pop up from incense just disappear though.

jugo

Neo Member
So a gym nearby is full, but it's owned by the same team I am, and I'm wondering if I can leave my pokemon there by beating the sixth pokemon.

Moff

So a gym nearby is full, but it's owned by the same team I am, and I'm wondering if I can leave my pokemon there by beating the sixth pokemon.

yes you can, but it's gonna take a long time if it's a high level gym already, you will probably run out of mats

Chaos17

I don't have the link anymore but that was replied on Reddit by Ingress players.
In fact, the spawn of pokemon depend mainly of the number of owner of mobile phone in the area, people don't really need to use it all the time thou, just own it.

jugo

Neo Member
yes you can, but it's gonna take a long time if it's a high level gym already, you will probably run out of mats

I better wait then. The gym is in the middle of the woods but it somehow went from one to six pokemon from the time I went to bed to when I woke up.

pringles

I know rural areas kinda suck for this game, but I was out in a VERY rural area this weekend (talking population of <50 and miles from closest pokestop) and found my first Charmander, Staryu and Dratini. Seemed like there was two spawn points nearby. So my experience is that it's not completely broken just because you're not in a city. Just needs a way to add pokestops or at least help out players that are far from pokestops.

Nighte

Stupid question but how do I use a lure module?
I'm standing next to two Pokestops and it says 'this item can't be used here'.

Click on the pokestop and then click on the white square over the circle you usually spin around.
That`s where you can add a lure.

mugwhump

I don't have the link anymore but that was replied on Reddit by Ingress players.
In fact, the spawn of pokemon depend mainly of the number of owner of mobile phone in the area, people don't really need to use it all the time thou, just own it.

Yeah. That doesn't particularly change things, though.

Chaos17

Yeah. That doesn't particularly change things, though.

Yes unfortunaly but that also mean that would be really difficult for them to improuve spawn rate in rural areas. I think a different mechanic should've been put in Pokemon go that would reward players who "explore".

Maybe like a pedometers that after a number of steps will make pokemons have a chance to spawn (more) ? Pedometer will also have been more accurate to hatch eggs.

Ydelnae

Blastoise, Dragonite and Jynx spawned nearby this morning. I had no Pokeballs left. There's no Pokestops here. I guess the game is kind of over for me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yooooo I just found out there is a Pikachu nest in a park near Tenma. I'm definitely gonna take a trip out that way this week. ^^

Let me know when you're going. I'll definitely tag along.

dc89

Took my other halfs car for it's MOT this morning and walked back.

Hatched a 2KM egg and got a nice Jigglypuff - much better than the Rattata I got from the last egg I hatched.

Also caught a Nidorina & Geodude - two new ones to the collection.

Septic360

Banned
Nintendo missed a trick with the AR function in this game.

They could really make the game even more intuitive by incorporating AR in a more meaningful way by:

1. Having Pokemon dotted around in fixed AR points like on top of trees etc. They should all be located in a fixed point and you should have to pinpoint their location directly so all players will have to face the same direction

or at the very least

2. Give you extra XP for using AR

It would help make the gameplay experience feel even more immersive. Imagine your phone vibrating as you are close to a pokemon and you're wondering where it is and someone tells you its on that tree/lampost etc

PSFan

Nintendo missed a trick with the AR function in this game.

They could really make the game even more intuitive by incorporating AR in a more meaningful way by:

1. Having Pokemon dotted around in fixed AR points like on top of trees etc. They should all be located in a fixed point and you should have to pinpoint their location directly so all players will have to face the same direction

or at the very least

2. Give you extra XP for using AR

It would help make the gameplay experience feel even more immersive. Imagine your phone vibrating as you are close to a pokemon and you're wondering where it is and someone tells you its on that tree/lampost etc

It wasn't Nintendo that missed a trick. It was Niantic. Nintendo's stock plunged 17% after they said the impact to them from GO is limited.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1252146

They really don't have much to do with this game, including profits.

T.O.P

Banned
...there's currently more Pokemons in the Santa Monica Pier than in my entire pokedex...and i'm approaching lvl 20

2bzjjs.png

i wanna cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom