• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never played a Pokémon game before Pokémon go. Which game do you recommend I start with?

I only have time to play one game in the series

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are the newest, though X and Y are part of the same generation of games and are definitely the most new-player friendly. Or you can wait until November for Sun and Moon.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My recommendation would definitely be XY. It's the perfect jump-on point.

wmlk

I never played a Pokémon game before Pokémon go. Which game do you recommend I start with?

I only have time to play one game in the series

Wait for Sun and Moon in November, the recent games aren't among the best IMO.

If you have time, either Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire or X/Y are fine. I think X/Y introduce the player to new stuff better (maybe a bit too hand-holdy). It has more older Pokémon if you're into that.

Hedgey

qdryi.jpg

I'm the only person I know in my area with a hitmonlee.
There's a nest across the street. If they werent so damn hard to catch I'd have a lot more.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I just thought of the coolest thing that will never happen.

What if they gave you the option to be in Team Rocket and you're main goal was to fuck with other people. Like maybe you could be the only people that initiate PVP battles ot something.

That would be the most incredible thing if you were like hanging out with someone and it comes out that you're team Rocket and secretly there to ruin everything they love and you fight them.

I wouldn't mind seeing regular "good guy" trainers in this position since the teams we have now already mirror the bad guy teams. It's silly head canon but I love the idea.

Ryde3

Just caught a Blastoise about a 5 minute jog from my house, had 8 mins before it despawned - haven't run so hard in ages.

There were about 7 cars parked at the side of the road with their hazards on, it was truely amazing... all yelling "it's over here!!"

Is Santa Monica Pier really the Mecca for Pokemon that Pokevision suggests? It says my area is totally devoid of Pokemon, but that place is always popping... Anybody been there?

Hikami

Is Santa Monica Pier really the Mecca for Pokemon that Pokevision suggests? It says my area is totally devoid of Pokemon, but that place is always popping... Anybody been there?

Pokevision doesn't show you everything

been using this, much better:

pokemon go map has been updated boys!!!

Looks like PTC no longer will cause the app to stop working after 30 minutes

Means you might be able to keep this thing scanning 24/7 and link it to your phone!

https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

I frequent it. It's definitely one of the best spots in la. Lures always up, and a nice stroll from one end to the other will keep you moving for egg hatching and poke stop reset timing is on point. Plus, when something rare pops up just follow that crowd! Lol

hirokazu

Pokevision doesn't show you everything
Wasn't this forked from the same project as Pokévision? So therefore it'd show the same spawns Pokevision does and omit the same spawns, no?

The reason these things don't show lure Pokémon is because it only parses what the server sends back is nearby and the server doesn't send info about those unless you're really close to them. One potential fix for people working on the code would be to store a list of active lured Pokéstops (which the code already does) and iterate through telling the server that's were the player is.

eek5

Wasn't this forked from the same project as Pokévision? So therefore it'd show the same spawns Pokevision does and omit the same spawns, no?

The reason these things don't show lure Pokémon is because it only parses what the server sends back is nearby and the server doesn't send info about those unless you're really close to them. One potential fix for people working on the code would be to store a list of active lured Pokéstops (which the code already does) and iterate through telling the server that's were the player is.

The core code base already allows for this. The code loops through all the objects which include both stops/gyms (forts) and pokemans. Each stop has a lured info object (used to be active pokemon object) that tells it the current active pokemon and when it'll expire (changes every 3 minutes). Latest versions of PokemonMap or whatever the repo is called do show which pokemon is active on a lured stop (hover over tooltip) but they don't push the information to the pokemon array.

I'm not completely sure why they don't just push the pokemon to the array to be displayed. Maybe because the pokemon overlaps or there aren't lat/long (you can kind of assume it's the same lat/long as the pokestop but it really isn't).

If you're running your own python server you can just open up the example.py or whatever it's called now, find where it iterates through lured stops and add code to push a pokemon object to the pokemons array if you want it to show up. I think it'd be interesting to datamine lured pokemon spawns only but because of their fast spawn (3m) you'd need a LOT of bots to scrape any sizable area.

Anyway, there are some versions of the code with really buggy step logic so some scanners might not show all the available pokemon because there are gaps when the bot steps around.

These tools both python and pokevision already iterate like crazy. It is quite complex but they do not just make one call and get back a cute list of all mobs in a radius. They have to break down an area into a ton of points and then they make a ton of requests.
It isn't even clear that mobs in spots with lures are not shown: a lure spawns one extra pokemon every 5 minutes, but mobs expire after 15 minutes, so a spot with a lure may only have 3 mobs to show. I've seen my local hot spots have 3+ active in one tiny area on the python search.
edit: eek5 said it better.

Hikami

Pokevision's range is really small and sometimes doesn't show everything in that range from my experiences. The reason places like santa monica pier, central park, etc. show most of the pokemon is because pokevision lets you see scans that other people have done. If no one else is scanning around the area you're scanning in pokevision then it becomes pretty inaccurate.

I tried this park near me for example in pokevision and the program I linked:

clicking around the map in Pokevision will make pokemon pop up if someone's already scanned there. But no one's scanned here so I had to do it myself. Pokevision has a small range as I mentioned though so I have to do scans all over the place and wait 30 seconds between each scan. The program just lets me input a latitude and longitude, a range, and it'll scan that whole area and continue to update the spawns.

I would like to ask why my avatar stops moving even though I am walking. Does anyone encounter this problem before? This only happens after I hit a pokestop.

hirokazu

The core code base already allows for this. The code loops through all the objects which include both stops/gyms (forts) and pokemans. Each stop has a lured info object (used to be active pokemon object) that tells it the current active pokemon and when it'll expire (changes every 3 minutes). Latest versions of PokemonMap or whatever the repo is called do show which pokemon is active on a lured stop (hover over tooltip) but they don't push the information to the pokemon array.

I'm not completely sure why they don't just push the pokemon to the array to be displayed. Maybe because the pokemon overlaps or there aren't lat/long (you can kind of assume it's the same lat/long as the pokestop but it really isn't).

If you're running your own python server you can just open up the example.py or whatever it's called now, find where it iterates through lured stops and add code to push a pokemon object to the pokemons array if you want it to show up. I think it'd be interesting to datamine lured pokemon spawns only but because of their fast spawn (3m) you'd need a LOT of bots to scrape any sizable area.

Anyway, there are some versions of the code with really buggy step logic so some scanners might not show all the available pokemon because there are gaps when the bot steps around.
Oh, I wasn't aware that feature has been added, but you're right, it's now in the develop branch. Will check it out.

eek5

Oh, I wasn't aware that feature has been added, but you're right, it's now in the develop branch. Will check it out.

I haven't been following for a while since I've been working on a data miner but they already merged develop branch into master and release it as version 2.0 so it should be in master branch (unless they added settings to actually show the lured pokemon on map that I'm not aware of)

hirokazu

Pokevision's range is really small and sometimes doesn't show everything in that range from my experiences. The reason places like santa monica pier, central park, etc. show most of the pokemon is because pokevision lets you see scans that other people have done. If no one else is scanning around the area you're scanning in pokevision then it becomes pretty inaccurate.
Yeah, I like that it now caches data from previous requests to the server and displays them those that are still valid. Makes it seem really fast when you're in a city. But yeah, it also only check a tiny area per actual request to the server.

I haven't been following for a while since I've been working on a data miner but they already merged develop branch into master and release it as version 2.0 so it should be in master branch (unless they added settings to actually show the lured pokemon on map that I'm not aware of)
I downloaded the master branch about 18 hours ago and I wasn't aware of it displaying lured Pokémon. Could be because I turned the Pokéstops off since I can't see anything else when it's on.

I miss the option in the original where you can choose to only display lured Pokéstops.

The map data and the game was only unlocked and released here one hour ago.

So they couldn't have sideloaded the app, or happened to load an account from another region, or any other plausible reason?

And the whole team shaming thing is honestly just embarrassing, considering most players just pick it by color preference or legendary bird thanks to the lack of info given in-game, regardless of what preconceived notions people on internet forums might have.

Edit: I'm not valor, in case someone thinks I'm in defense mode. If I ever do go that far in defense of some arbitrary choice, lock me up in some psych ward, please

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
game keeps frigging freezing or outright crashing.

Caught - or thought i had - a CP??? Pinsir and... ugh... nooooooooo

not sure if Tokyo being rammed with players has anything to do with it but this was 6 or so in the morning :/

I went yesterday. I caught a lot of pokemon but it wasn't worth the traffic and time for me. Santa Monica sucks if you don't live around the area. Parking and traffic are terrible on weekends.

eek5

I downloaded the master branch about 18 hours ago and I wasn't aware of it displaying lured Pokémon. Could be because I turned the Pokéstops off since I can't see anything else when it's on.

I miss the option in the original where you can choose to only display lured Pokéstops.

You can open models.py and move this

KqQq0Rb.png

chunk of code into the if block for lured stops. This will modify it to only display pokestops that are lured

edit: I didn't realize you're using a different repo. They probably updated it with the latest pokemon go map code. You should be able to find the chunk of code the same way though.

Where are the ghost nests???? D: this is cypress lawn (cemetery) in Colma, CA. In all seriousness, **** whoever submitted these tantalizing, yet trollish pokestop placements.

The cemetery by me has a bunch of stops too but from my scraped data the heatmap shows that the whole thing is pretty much a deadzone for pokemon spawns. I'm assuming this was done on purpose or by request from the cemetery.

wanders

Where are the ghost nests???? D: this is cypress lawn (cemetery) in Colma, CA. In all seriousness, **** whoever submitted these tantalizing, yet trollish pokestop placements.

I can confirm Cypress Lawn is full of pokestops. It is a little crazy lol

Check out SSF Bart. Dratini nest :)

hirokazu

The map data and the game was only unlocked and released here one hour ago.
People in China have been using a hacked app signed with a compromised enterprise certificate that lets you enter GPS coordinates and it will spoof it. A lot of Chinese players both in China and elsewhere just do that to get all the rare Pokémon from other countries. They really need to start banning people flying around using GPS spoofs.

hirokazu

You can open models.py and move this

KqQq0Rb.png

chunk of code into the if block for lured stops. This will modify it to only display pokestops that are lured

edit: I didn't realize you're using a different repo. They probably updated it with the latest pokemon go map code. You should be able to find the chunk of code the same way though.
Thanks. I did a bunch of mods to the original version that had example.py to make the map a lot of pleasant (and also send me SMS via Twilio when it found certain Pokémon). I haven't bothered to look through the code much on the newer versions, but I should also look at getting the Pushbullet notifications going since I've exhausted my Twilio trial.

clicking around the map in Pokevision will make pokemon pop up if someone's already scanned there. But no one's scanned here so I had to do it myself. Pokevision has a small range as I mentioned though so I have to do scans all over the place and wait 30 seconds between each scan. The program just lets me input a latitude and longitude, a range, and it'll scan that whole area and continue to update the spawns.

I've noticed that the API sometimes returns nothing the first time an account hits a new location and does a scan. Then a minute or so later, things start to get returned, and then its populated. In other words there is some kind of caching or optimisation perhaps going on on the server side. Perhaps if nobody is "walking" (or scanning) an area, pokemon are not even being put into the database. And the process to spawn pokemon is quite relaxed and doesn't immediately start creating mobs when it gets a first request in that area so the first few queries return nothing.

In other words pokemon may only appear if they are looked for which makes sense from a database load point of view. Having to keep track of spawned pokemon worldwide when 98% of them are not having people tramping around, is clearly a waste of resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom