• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

That's a lie, training in groups is the absolute worst.

Waiting for others to catch their Pokemon while you're wasting precious time on your Incense just standing there.

Trying to decide on a route to take.

Others whose GPS functions differently and they can tag Pokestops from further away then you.

And then you've got all the dumb rumors that have hopefully died out by now like:

"Oh, tap the Pokeball if you miss to get it back!"

"If you track a Pokemon and the thing pulses blue, you're headed in the right direction!"

"I saw the silhouette of [insert Pokemon not currently in the game here] the other day!"

Also, for those still using the terrible Pokevision website, this is the best thing I've found so far: https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

Do you use a dummy account for this or can you log in with your main PTC account?

Hopefully now that the servers are pretty damn stable, hopefully they can start re-implementing functions, and fixing stuff like low-power locking the game up :D

Losing 20% battery every hour is not ideal :(

I'm sure a bunch of peeps here have already been doing this but for those who don't know, there's a way to almost guarantee you'll hit the pokemon with your first toss (unless it does an attack animation or evasion animation during it's intro when you throw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aiWIgv0_YA

Hope it helps anyone who's going through too many pokeballs or having difficulty with throwing :p

When groups ask me to go catch Pokémon with them, I usually arrive like a half hour early to get my optimized runs out of my system. Then when the group arrives I slow down a bit.

But yeah, groups are not good for min / maxing. Unless I could get someone to hold onto Pokevision and an IV checker, and someone to hold onto food and water.
Yeah, this. Generally groups I go with end up sitting down at a park with lures up and hanging out around there.

You uh, sound fun.
The main attraction when walking with friends is the walking, with a side of Pokemon.

If I'm going out to play Pokemon, Pokemon's going to be the main attraction.

Do you use a dummy account for this or can you log in with your main PTC account?
Dummy account. Preferably a dummy PTC account, because if you use a Google account it times out and stops scanning after 30 mins, whereas with a PTC account you can keep it running all day.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay, that was crazy

Someone joked about a special Pokémon showing up at exactly midnight, so people stayed for hours on this spot. 1 minute past midnight, a fucking Ninetails apparently spawns somewhere in town and this one dude knows where it is. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE (40+ ppl) started running and following the dude.

I know, I know, I've seen this shit happen on YT and 10x crazier but it's just surreal to see it happen irl.

Also, I got the Ninetails ♥ 970 CP

pompidu

That's a lie, training in groups is the absolute worst.

Waiting for others to catch their Pokemon while you're wasting precious time on your Incense just standing there.

Trying to decide on a route to take.

Others whose GPS functions differently and they can tag Pokestops from further away then you.

And then you've got all the dumb rumors that have hopefully died out by now like:

"Oh, tap the Pokeball if you miss to get it back!"

"If you track a Pokemon and the thing pulses blue, you're headed in the right direction!"

"I saw the silhouette of [insert Pokemon not currently in the game here] the other day!"

Also, for those still using the terrible Pokevision website, this is the best thing I've found so far: https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

This link doesn't seem useful unless your hunting at your home.... Unless there is an app buried in there.

piggychan

Man the olympic staidum has loads of diverse pokemon. Deffo visiting it next week with my mates

I saw this post earlier and went down there later on and there are several great spots. This was one of them

CoPihrtXYAAvT1e.jpg

CoPi54BXEAEjTni.jpg

91B39BC0-A609-45CC-A653-6F6448F0ABE4.jpg

F9B725AF-A194-4B64-BEA2-927595F8A2D6.png

F4E6E521-C1E0-47B4-A728-01848C089265.png

This link doesn't seem useful unless your hunting at your home.... Unless there is an app buried in there.
I'll admit that the major downside at the moment is that it's difficult to change your location with that app, as it relies on you knowing the exact coordinates of the location you want to scan from. I mostly use it to scan 7 steps around my location, and if anything worthwhile pops up, I'll go run out and get it.

It also has that "mobile" button in the top right corner of the screen, providing you with a web page you can access the app from on your phone.

There's also this android app: https://github.com/BrianEstrada/PokeScanner/releases

I've found that it doesn't scan nearly as quickly, because I think it's using the original Python code, whereas most others jumped onto the updated one. The best part about this one, aside from it being an Android app is that it scans the location the map's currently centered on, so it's easy to just jump to a location you're not at and start scanning.

If there's something better that I don't know about, I'd love to switch to that. Both of the apps I currently use above have their issues.

I'm just not a fan of Pokievision, because it scans like 10 Pokemon nearby, whereas the desktop app has like 50+.

This is already getting to be like the main Pokemon games where people suck the actual fun out of it.
lol, why are you all so judgmental? Why does the fun I get out of something have to conform to your definition of fun?

Hopefully now that the servers are pretty damn stable, hopefully they can start re-implementing functions, and fixing stuff like low-power locking the game up :D

Losing 20% battery every hour is not ideal :(
Honestly, you don't really need to use the in-game battery saver as there are better options out there. I'm currently using this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whitehorse.pokemongobatterysaver_v2

It completely turns off the screen when your phone while your phone is in your pocket and disables all inputs well. (It detects this by using my phone's proximity sensor on the front, which I presume is infrared). I personally find the game uses around half the battery draw when I leave my phone in my pocket with this battery saver app running.

Yeah, this. Generally groups I go with end up sitting down at a park with lures up and hanging out around there.
The main attraction when walking with friends is the walking, with a side of Pokemon.
If I'm going out to play Pokemon, Pokemon's going to be the main attraction.

Yeah, Pokémon go has been my cardio coach for the past couple of weeks. Last Thursday I walked 6 miles, give or take. People get in the way of that, but I won't brush anyone off if I come across them.

Okay, that was crazy

Someone joked about a special Pokémon showing up at exactly midnight, so people stayed for hours on this spot. 1 minute past midnight, a fucking Ninetails apparently spawns somewhere in town and this one dude knows where it is. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE (40+ ppl) started running and following the dude.

I know, I know, I've seen this shit happen on YT and 10x crazier but it's just surreal to see it happen irl.

Also, I got the Ninetails ♥ 970 CP

He probably knew the spawning areas and guessed it. People have got it down to knowing what Pokémon spawn each 15 minutes with that Python app and some spreadsheets.

This is already getting to be like the main Pokemon games where people suck the actual fun out of it.

Learning the ins and outs of a game and Min/Maxing is my idea of fun. I started a week later than my friends and I've already leveled up more than most of them with less time put in. I don't use Pokevision, though.

boxter432

Trying to train at a gym. First GPS freaked out and after I won a battle it pushed me out of range. Now I am right on the spot and whenever I start a battle it says GO and then kicks it back out to the gym (where you can see the Pokemon holding the gym) wtf? I've reloaded the app a bunch and still does the same. Is it someone else battling or what. I have barely done any gym stuff.

foladar

Driving to Florida for a couple days. How is Pokémon GO in the Disney area?

Downtown Disney seems to be best, followed by Epcot/MGM.. the only issue is the sheer amount of people there. If you're near Lakefront Park, check it out too.. has some crazy variety compared to anywhere else here.

if it makes you feel better

dragonite has a capture rate of 4%. higher with an ultra ball but still

should feed it razz berries at least

I popped two before I attempted to throw. Didn't know about that rate though. Gf got hers with two great balls with a CP of 881. :S

Feels like the scaling is getting nasty after turning 21. Had a 401 Hitmonlee take 10 great balls and multiple razzes before it ran away.

Fireblend

Banned
Yesterday my gf and I went to one of the most popular parks around here on our way to having lunch with friends:
For some reason there's a TON of Onix there; I could see at least 4 on my radar at pretty much all times. It's hilarious how much this app has made people go out. I regularly ride my bike around that lake on Sundays and now I'm gonna have to find an alternative route. It was full of people, we could barely walk at times.

Then today (holiday here) we decided to go for a walk in the nearby university campus:

Also an insane amount of people. We heard some guys talking about a Gyarados earlier, too bad we missed it =X We ended up walking up and down that strip for almost an hour, and I'm now level 21! haha.

Has anybody caught a pokemon with a really high perfection percentage in the wild? It seems all my high perfection pokemon only come from eggs. I've caught some high CP pokemon with great moves in the wild, but none of them are worth leveling up when you look deeper into their stats.

adamy

Banned
I popped two before I attempted to throw. Didn't know about that rate though. Gf got hers with two great balls with a CP of 881. :S

Feels like the scaling is getting nasty after turning 21. Had a 401 Hitmonlee take 10 great balls and multiple razzes before it ran away.

100cp pidgys breaking out of great balls + berries + shot bonus

No joke

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So I was browsing Craiglist and noticed all the accounts for same. Many are subpar, and these people are asking for hundreds of dollars for them. I don't get what the point of spending money on a almost complete account would accomplish. Just taking over gyms constantly without having many Pokemon to even catch anymore? For this game specifically, I find it odd. Is there really a market for it where people are actually purchasing them, or is it mainly some hopefuls that are trying to reel in some cash?

Well, in an effort to start being less of a "sanctimonious dweeb" I did a bit of research today and...

So I guess give me a day or so to set this up as mobile website and no one will have to 'resort' to cheating.
Wait, so the game internally still knows the step distance to these Pokémon? It just doesn't show the correct image in the app?

Wtf are the devs doing?

Sure would be neat if being a high level were worthwhile.

Instead it causes you to want to stop playing due to how many Pokeballs get wasted on basic Pokémon, without any decent means of which to replenish them.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure a bunch of peeps here have already been doing this but for those who don't know, there's a way to almost guarantee you'll hit the pokemon with your first toss (unless it does an attack animation or evasion animation during it's intro when you throw)

Hope it helps anyone who's going through too many pokeballs or having difficulty with throwing :p

Tried that and this happened

pompidu

I'll admit that the major downside at the moment is that it's difficult to change your location with that app, as it relies on you knowing the exact coordinates of the location you want to scan from. I mostly use it to scan 7 steps around my location, and if anything worthwhile pops up, I'll go run out and get it.

It also has that "mobile" button in the top right corner of the screen, providing you with a web page you can access the app from on your phone.

There's also this android app: https://github.com/BrianEstrada/PokeScanner/releases

I've found that it doesn't scan nearly as quickly, because I think it's using the original Python code, whereas most others jumped onto the updated one. The best part about this one, aside from it being an Android app is that it scans the location the map's currently centered on, so it's easy to just jump to a location you're not at and start scanning.

If there's something better that I don't know about, I'd love to switch to that. Both of the apps I currently use above have their issues.

I'm just not a fan of Pokievision, because it scans like 10 Pokemon nearby, whereas the desktop app has like 50+.

lol, why are you all so judgmental? Why does the fun I get out of something have to conform to your definition of fun?

Thanks, I'll try it out when I get home.

Well, in an effort to start being less of a "sanctimonious dweeb" I did a bit of research today and...

So I guess give me a day or so to set this up as mobile website and no one will have to 'resort' to cheating.

Amazing. And this couldn't work in the actual app because why?

Bravo and thanks in advance

That works for low CP Pokemon or any Pokemon with a green circle. Those with higher cp's or different colored circles need to be caught normally. This won't work for those pokemon.

Darryl

Banned
Downtown Disney seems to be best, followed by Epcot/MGM.. the only issue is the sheer amount of people there. If you're near Lakefront Park, check it out too.. has some crazy variety compared to anywhere else here.

really good spot down the middle of Disney springs

true pokemon masters catch pokemon with curving pokeballs and ar on.
The app never recognizes my throws correctly though.

I throw a curveball, the game throws it straight.

I throw a straight ball, the game curves it.

I land the ball directly in the center, the ball misses.

I miss, and the ball counts as a "great".

Kyuur

Wait, so the game internally still knows the step distance to these Pokémon? It just doesn't show the correct image in the app?

Wtf are the devs doing?

Amazing. And this couldn't work in the actual app because why?

Bravo and thanks in advance

Yeah, I dunno -- it must be making the queries since it still shows Pokemon based on how close they are. Unless they're doing something weird with the distance calculation (doing it server-side instead of just sending the coords with the Pokemon and calculating it based on device gps locally) I can't see how it should add to the server load and be disabled.

I had a funny moment today trying to catch an Eevee.

Mid-throw, I get the attack animation so the ball hits the Eevee but doesn't capture it. Instead of Eevee smacking the ball away, it kinda just bounces on its head. It keeps bouncing and then it triggers the capture animation. It gave me a chuckle.

Red Fire

This would be AMAZING. Please do this. I don't want to cheat so I'm left here catching random pokemon that pop up near me which sucks. This would be perfect.

Has anybody caught a pokemon with a really high perfection percentage in the wild? It seems all my high perfection pokemon only come from eggs. I've caught some high CP pokemon with great moves in the wild, but none of them are worth leveling up when you look deeper into their stats.
Pokemon in the wild have totally random IVs but pokemon from eggs seem to have some kind of bonus to their IVs that insures they'll usually be fairly decent, so perfect IVs from wild pokemon isn't impossible but you're more likely to get high IVs from hatched ones :3

Tried that and this happened
Ooh! The infinite distance glitch! :D Only seen it twice in the whole time I've been playing.
Basically the pokeball has somehow escaped the world and is travelling off into infinity, the gaping blackness that swallows up the world is actually the pokeball's shadow XD
It's nothing too serious though, just restart and you'll be fine :p It barely ever happens at all, you just got somewhat unlucky that it occurred the first time you threw at the start :D

That works for low CP Pokemon or any Pokemon with a green circle. Those with higher cp's or different colored circles need to be caught normally. This won't work for those pokemon.
Well, it's not likely to work on harder pokemon but that doesn't mean it won't: as I like to often say: "random is random". I've captured orange pokes with it by pure chance and you can't check the circle colour in time if you're doing that throw anyhoo :3
I mostly just use it on pokemon I intend to throw in the candy grinder admittedly like pidgeys :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom