• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say IVs depend on what you're using the Pokemon for. Obviously, defenders will need that max HP and Def while attackers just really need that max ATK. If I can get 2 15 IV Pokes then I'm pretty satisfied.

Glix

Nice sign Lake City PD
CoO4gKnWgAADwnB.jpg

Good on them. That is super, mega awesome of them.

LucaMac

88's pretty good. One thing about IVs is that a lot of people probably don't realise how rare these super IV creatures are :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4uje6l/ivs_the_odds/

So I wouldn't be too down on 88%: you're still in the rare top 22 percentile :D

Oh yes definitely. I aim for 80+ for keepers. Its just that its got quite low CP even after evolution. I'd have had to have invested if it was 100%. Now I'm more reluctant. Especially as getting it to beedrill will eat up a lot of candy that I could be using to level too. Ah sure. I'm rural anyway (in Ireland which magnifies that problem) so not much I can do most of the time except plan ahead.

Muku

Sweet mother of Arceus, what a mid day trip to the park.

Hatched two eggs for a 952 Tauros and a Magmar at 1184 (have Scyther and Magmar... just need Electabuzz now!). Then amongst the other stuff that was useful, I finally caught a Pikachu and Bulbasaur amongst the lures that were up. Pikachu is only a measly 10... but it'll do for the first one.

Edit: Woah, just how much candy of the Pokemon do you get when you hatch it? I guess I've never paid attention. This Magmar is my first and I already have 21 candy... (no complaints, just shocked)

I think my game is bugged or something.

The last 5 pokemon I've tried to catch have broken from the pokeball without shaking once and they all have escaped after the first attempt. I missed a parasect because of this :(

Woah, has anyone used this yet? Seems like a more complete dealio than the IV calculator because it also tells you the best moves for the pokemon, what types it's good against, which specific pokemon it's best and worst against etc.
https://jackhumbert.github.io/poke-rater

Oh yes definitely. I aim for 80+ for keepers. Its just that its got quite low CP even after evolution. I'd have had to have invested if it was 100%. Now I'm more reluctant. Especially as getting it to beedrill will eat up a lot of candy that I could be using to level too. Ah sure. I'm rural anyway (in Ireland which magnifies that problem) so not much I can do most of the time except plan ahead.
Ah, being in the burbs sucks. I visited a friend who lives outside the city center and as far as pokemon go was concerned it was a desolate wasteland devoid of pokestops. On the upside I found my first ever vulpix and tangela there though so it wasn't a complete loss :3

Sweet mother of Arceus, what a mid day trip to the park.

Hatched two eggs for a 952 Tauros and a Magmar at 1184 (have Scyther and Magmar... just need Electabuzz now!). Then amongst the other stuff that was useful, I finally caught a Pikachu and Bulbasaur amongst the lures that were up. Pikachu is only a measly 10... but it'll do for the first one.

Edit: Woah, just how much candy of the Pokemon do you get when you hatch it? I guess I've never paid attention. This Magmar is my first and I already have 21 candy... (no complaints, just shocked)

Apparently you get a random number of candies from 3 to 35 from hatched eggs regardless of distance. I'll need to look into that more to double check it though :eek:

FinKL

I think my game is bugged or something.

The last 5 pokemon I've tried to catch have broken from the pokeball without shaking once and they all have escaped after the first attempt. I missed a parasect because of this :(

Sounds like you're soft banned, usually having the app open in 2 different places or somehow registering your GPS position in one spot and then having it register into another position faster than what is humanly possible.

Teknoman

Probably. I guess after the silly girl got hit by a car going to highway or whatever, whole thing has irked me. Then again tired of folks not taking responsibility for things anymore. But I digress.

True, but there was also that lady who walked dead into a fountain while texting, and just people still making the mistake of texting and driving. People just need to think before they act in general.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/07/25/pokemon-go-sdcc/

Dunno if anyone ever got a recap of what was talked about at the panel at SDCC.

- The game is at about 10℅ of where they want it to be completion wise

- They're working on the 3 step glitch

- PokeStops I'll get more functionality in the future. Players can "customize" them. Perhaps we can have auto egg hatches or rarer Pokemon spawns?

- Lots of undiscovered easter eggs (the naming thing was confirmed i believe but this article left it out)

- the idea of breeding is being tossed around. Perhaps there'll be an introduction of genders for all the existing Pokemon.

- Legendaries won't be released until every country has the game.

I ended up getting so frustrated with the Pokemon Trainer Network logins being down so often (and often when I was finally in a place with Pokestops), I made a Google login based account, and started over from scratch. I put in a request with Niantic to see if I could get the money spent on the PTN account, moved to the Google-based one. They can keep my money, but I'd like to at least get something for having wasted my time with the Poke Trainer Network. If I had known it would have been that bad, I would have made my main account a Google one from the start. The only reason I didn't, is in case there were PTN rewards on the Club side.

Sounds like you're soft banned, usually having the app open in 2 different places or somehow registering your GPS position in one spot and then having it register into another position faster than what is humanly possible.

Well that explains it, I took a trip and used pokemon go as soon as I got off the plane. Thanks.

DeviantBoi

Question: once the point on the arc above the Pokemon reaches the right side, that's it for powering up that specific Pokemon?

Or does it move back to the left once I level up some more?

I have a Valporeon and its already maxed out at around 700 CP. I'm only level 8.

Is there a spreadsheet of optimal move sets for Pokemon? Is there anyway to change movesets after a Pokemon has evolved or has been caught?

Muku

Apparently you get a random number of candies from 3 to 35 from hatched eggs regardless of distance. I'll need to look into that more to double check it though :eek:

Woah, really? If you find anything, would love to hear back. I didn't realize you could get so many for egg hatching.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Each pokemon has a set of initial values assigned to it to determine how strong it can potentially be. Two eevees are not the same. My Drowzee is 95% of the possible power a drowzee could be. He's in the top 5% of Drowzee.

There's no advantage to upgrading a pokemon before evolving it whatsoever. The evolution process won't alter it's level, nor it's IVs and level upgrade cost is based on the level not the species (so all level 1 pokemon take 200 stardust to upgrade no matter what they are, for example) so that won't change either.

I'd actually advise against levelling pokemon before you evolve them, otherwise you could end up wasting a lot of stardust on something that gets a terrible moveset when you evolve it (movesets change when pokemon evolve)

LuncaticHigh already explained the % a bit, but if you have more questions about IVs and perfect % please check out the mega-FAQ that covers them here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4tzcmk/faq_on_ivs_info_megathread/
You can find a link/button to it on the opening post of this thread too if you ever need to consult it in future :3
That said, if it leaves you with any further questions feel free to ask here and we'll answer it best we can :D

Thanks so much! I had no idea. I think I evolved the wrong Eevee last night! Oh well :)

How do you properly calculate the IV for Pokemon that you've evolved? For example I had a Poliwag and evolved him into a Poliwrath. I never powered him up with stardust at any stage, so do I still leave that option blank on the IV calculator?

Here are his numbers...

Poliwag - CP 448 / HP 56 / Dust 2500 and he was said to be 93% to 95%.

Poliwrath - CP 1421 / HP 116 / Dust 2500 93.3%

He also went from an XL to an XS in the process. Does anybody know how that factors in?

I aslo evolved a Gastly into this Haunter. Is he worth evolving into his final form? He has stayed an XL so far.

Haunter - CP 777 / HP 60 / Dust 2500 93.3%

Anyone happen to know why some pokestops give 100 xp and alot more items when you spin them? Haven't been able to note any difference visually.

The Cowboy

I swear, the more I play this the more frustrated I get with it.

I live in a rural area so all I usually get when at home is rats, weedle's and pigdey's - just now a blastoise shows on the nearby list, so I went out to see if I could find it.

I found it and failed to get it as every time I caught it in a ball the game froze up, now it's despawned - so annoying.

Bye blastoise, I would have treated you well :(.

FinKL

Question: once the point on the arc above the Pokemon reaches the right side, that's it for powering up that specific Pokemon?

Or does it move back to the left once I level up some more?

I have a Valporeon and its already maxed out at around 700 CP. I'm only level 8.

The arc is for potential CP, obviously being a higher level means higher potential CP. So every time you level up, the arc will move left as you can "power up" it for more CP. It will definitely be costly to keep powering up low CP mons vs catching them higher in the wild, but there is argument that perfect IVs are worth it.

Anyone happen to know why some pokestops give 100 xp and alot more items when you spin them? Haven't been able to note any difference visually.

I'm pretty sure no stops give 100XP, it just looks like you get 100XP because if you go from stop to stop, the +XP adds up. So 2 stops is +100, 3 is 150 etc.

Items are random I've gotten between 2 and 6 with no pattern.

The_Dama

quick questions

1. Is there a point of battling for gyms besides the 10 golden coins, stardust and the XP? Is there a benefit of capturing 3 or 4 gyms a day?

2. When I evolve, I get 1000XP, if I evolve the same Pokemon again, will I always get 1000XP or does the XP decrease?

3. A new Pokestop is 100XP, if you recapture it, you get 50XP. Does it ever go back to 100XP or will it always be 50XP?

Thanks

Firemind

How do you properly calculate the IV for Pokemon that you've evolved? For example I had a Poliwag and evolved him into a Poliwrath. I never powered him up with stardust at any stage, so do I still leave that option blank on the IV calculator?

Here are his numbers...

He also went from an XL to an XS in the process. Does anybody know how that factors in?

I aslo evolved a Gastly into this Haunter. Is he worth evolving into his final form? He has stayed an XL so far.

Size is only for cosmetics.

If you didn't power it up then yeah leave it blank

Haunter is absolutely worth evolving. Beware that you have a 50% chance to get Shadow Claw. If it has Sucker Punch, then it's most likely suboptimal.

FinKL

quick questions

1. Is there a point of battling for gyms besides the 10 golden coins, stardust and the XP? Is there a benefit of capturing 3 or 4 gyms a day?

2. When I evolve, I get 1000XP, if I evolve the same Pokemon again, will I always get 1000XP or does the XP decrease?

3. A new Pokestop is 100XP, if you recapture it, you get 50XP. Does it ever go back to 100XP or will it always be 50XP?

Thanks
1. Nope, I guess epeen status if that's your thing.
2. 1000XP is from 500 for Evolution, 500 for New Pokemon to Pokedex, subsequent evolves will be 500XP.
3. Hmm I don't know if new Pokestops are 100XP, I swear that some people are hitting 2 stops real quick and see 50XP vs 100XP but I could be wrong then.

Is it common to have a poke ball count issue or am I feeling the pains of the rural area? My local town has a lot of stops but my commute isn't providing enough. I'm thinking I may just need a day to go harvest the town of all the stops since I'm down to 18 now.

The arc is for potential CP, obviously being a higher level means higher potential CP. So every time you level up, the arc will move left as you can "power up" it for more CP. It will definitely be costly to keep powering up low CP mons vs catching them higher in the wild, but there is argument that perfect IVs are worth it.

I'm pretty sure no stops give 100XP, it just looks like you get 100XP because if you go from stop to stop, the +XP adds up. So 2 stops is +100, 3 is 150 etc.

But I didn't hit a stop before it. Was around 5 mins between stops. I've noticed it before as well and I thought it was as you said, but it always gives me 7+ items

FinKL

But I didn't hit a stop before it. Was around 5 mins between stops. I've noticed it before as well and I thought it was as you said, but it always gives me 7+ items

The_Dama commented that new ones give 100XP, this is probably the best explanation, guess I'm still learning things as well

Size is only for cosmetics.

If you didn't power it up then yeah leave it blank

Haunter is absolutely worth evolving. Beware that you have a 50% chance to get Shadow Claw. If it has Sucker Punch, then it's most likely suboptimal.

I have Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball on him right now. Does that have a chance to change when he turns into Gengar?

And thank you for also answering the size question. It's been driving me crazy.

Firemind

I have Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball on him right now. Does that have a chance to change when he turns into Gengar?

And thank you for also answering the size question. It's been driving me crazy.
Moves change after evolution. So it could keep Shadow Claw or it could change to Sucker Punch. Same with the special move. I know. It's super dumb.

Melchior

Not sure if this is completely relevant but a streamer just got "swatted" while streaming pokemon go. Apparently the dude called the police and said two guys were walking around with AKs and gave them the street he was walking on.

quick questions

1. Nope, I guess epeen status if that's your thing..

Incorrect. You can get more than 10 coins per day. It depends on how many gyms you are currently defending. So if you manage to capture 3 or 4 gyms simultaneously and then collect the reward, you will get 30 or 40 coins instead.

Lukemon

It's 10 coins, 500 dust and whatever XP for each Gym you're in when you cash in - if you can get into four then cash in in the Store, you get four times that bonus. Also, stealing back weak Gyms helps others on your team - a fresh Gym has room for two extra Pokemon, meaning they can drop something in and pick up their bonus as well.

Geneijin

Incorrect. You can get more than 10 coins per day. It depends on how many gyms you are currently defending. So if you manage to capture 3 or 4 gyms simultaneously and then collect the reward, you will get 30 or 40 coins instead.
It's 10 coins, 500 dust and whatever XP for each Gym you're in when you cash in - if you can get into four then cash in in the Store, you get four times that bonus. Also, stealing back weak Gyms helps others on your team - a fresh Gym has room for two extra Pokemon, meaning they can drop something in and pick up their bonus as well.
To add: it's capped at 10 gyms, so you can only collect 100 coins at most every 21 hours.

Glix

Caught an Electabuzz right where bill the butcher impaled that kid on the fence!

Then got caught in this storm... HOLY SHIT!

Moves change after evolution. So it could keep Shadow Claw or it could change to Sucker Punch. Same with the special move. I know. It's super dumb.
Gotcha. So you should evolve Pokemon with the best IV even if they have a bad moveset, because there is a chance you could end up with the better moves. Just like you could lose the good moves and end up with bad ones.

Thanks so much! I had no idea. I think I evolved the wrong Eevee last night! Oh well :)
No worries! :D
I wouldn't get too hung up on IVs as ultimately their moveset is more important. It could have the best IVs in town but if you get stuck with a bunch of slow, low-damage attacks then it'll get destroyed by the same creature with worse IVs but a better moveset :3

Here are his numbers...

You can safely ignore the XS/XL size thing, it's purely a cosmetic thing as far as anyone can tell :3
I'm not actually sure what to do if you evolved it without powering it up for the 'powered' selection. If you wanted to be sure though you could put 1 upgrade into it then safely know the answer is 'yes' ;D
93.3% is excellent though, I'd definitely give is a shot :3

Actually, you can get +100xp instead of the usual +50xp if you get 6 or more items from a pokestop (the highest number of items I've seen anyone report to have received from a stop is 9, I've got a stop near me that regularly gives me about 7 items)

quick questions

Thanks
1) when you press the defender reward button you get 10 pokecoins and the stardust for each gym you currently have pokemon in, up to a maximum of 10 gyms (100 pokecoins) so the more you have when you claim, the bigger the reward, hence having 10 gyms before you claim would be great, but good luck holding that many :p

2) you only get 500xp for evolving any pokemon. However, if it evolves into a pokemon you don't have in your pokedex you get an additional +500xp for finding a new species, which you can only obviously get the first time for that species :3 Lucky eggs will double your xp though, including what you get from evolving stuff and even the new species bonus :eek:

3) pokestops only give 50xp normally unless you get 6 or more items from it, in which case the reward is bumped up to 100xp. As far as i'm aware there's no bonus for using a pokestop you've not used before :eek:

Firemind

Gotcha. So you should evolve Pokemon with the best IV even if they have a bad moveset, because there is a chance you could end up with the better moves. Just like you could lose the good moves and end up with bad ones.
Exactly. That's why Vaporeon is so newb friendly. It always comes with Water Gun! Meanwhile, Blastoise is about on the same power level, but it can learn Bite, which significantly lowers its DPS.

Nice sign Lake City PD
CoO4gKnWgAADwnB.jpg
That's a lie, training in groups is the absolute worst.

Waiting for others to catch their Pokemon while you're wasting precious time on your Incense just standing there.

Trying to decide on a route to take.

Others whose GPS functions differently and they can tag Pokestops from further away then you.

And then you've got all the dumb rumors that have hopefully died out by now like:

"Oh, tap the Pokeball if you miss to get it back!"

"If you track a Pokemon and the thing pulses blue, you're headed in the right direction!"

"I saw the silhouette of [insert Pokemon not currently in the game here] the other day!"

Also, for those still using the terrible Pokevision website, this is the best thing I've found so far: https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

Exactly. That's why Vaporeon is so newb friendly. It always comes with Water Gun! Meanwhile, Blastoise is about on the same power level, but it can learn Bite, which significantly lowers its DPS.
Cool, thanks for all the help. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this.

So it looks like my 93.3% Poliwrath w/ Mudshot and Submission who is #35 on the tier list is my best Pokemon. I have higher perfection percentage pokemon, but they don't have the best moves. Same goes for ones with the perfect moveset, but just ok perfection stats.

Waiting for others to catch their Pokemon while you're wasting precious time on your Incense just standing there.

Others whose GPS functions differently and they can tag Pokestops from further away then you.

And then you've got all the dumb rumors that have hopefully died out by now like:

"If you track a Pokemon and the thing pulses blue, you're headed in the right direction!"

"I saw the silhouette of [insert Pokemon not currently in the game here] the other day!"

When groups ask me to go catch Pokémon with them, I usually arrive like a half hour early to get my optimized runs out of my system. Then when the group arrives I slow down a bit.

But yeah, groups are not good for min / maxing. Unless I could get someone to hold onto Pokevision and an IV checker, and someone to hold onto food and water.

batbeg

Also, for those still using the terrible Pokevision website, this is the best thing I've found so far: https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

You uh, sound fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom