• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
So I decided to step out one last time before hitting the sack and a Snorlax was at a stop sign near my house.

gfBPXB6.jpg

dmr87

Don't know if it's a "nest" but we have a Scyther spawning in the same place all the time, I've caught 3 or 4 but I know that he's been up more times than that.

shira

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/214e1ef67c0544b088a39d3b012a16d3/gunman-gets-shot-pokemon-go-player-he-tried-rob said:
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A gunman and his underage driver tried to rob a group of people playing the popular Pokemon Go game, triggering a shootout after one of the players pulled out his own weapon at a Las Vegas park that has become a hot spot for virtual creature hunting.

Las Vegas police spokeswoman Laura Meltzer said the shooting left a Pokemon player and the would-be armed robber hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries. Charges are expected against both that suspect and the juvenile who was driving the SUV.

Shortly after 4 a.m., a group of six people were at a public park east of downtown playing the popular smartphone game, which sends players to physical locations to "catch" virtual Pokemon characters.

Stay safe and don't catch Magikarps at 4AM

shandy706

Dont #$$! with Pokemon Go players. We're strapped. LOL

Seriously though, someone please guide me on how to use one of those Pokemon Apps like Pokevision. I'm on Android and I'm not having any luck launching/getting this stuff running :(.

So how do I get pokevision working on android?

Dont #$$! with Pokemon Go players. We're strapped. LOL

Seriously though, someone please guide me on how to use one of those Pokemon Apps like Pokevision. I'm on Android and I'm not having any luck launching/getting this stuff running :(.

Should just be a simple case of going to https://pokevision.com/ in your browser, moving the location to where you are and clicking the red 'scan' button at the bottom. If you have any trouble though let us know in here and I'm sure I or someone else can probably suggest a few things :3

Have the next two days off work, and considering spending one of them getting a Dragonite.

2 hour drive to a Dratini hotspot, 2 hours to catch enough, then 2 hours drive back.

Maybe......

shandy706

Should just be a simple case of going to https://pokevision.com/ in your browser, moving the location to where you are and clicking the red 'scan' button at the bottom. If you have any trouble though let us know in here and I'm sure I or someone else can probably suggest a few things :3

Haha, figured this out a second ago. I was guided to a download page the last few times. This browser thing is really cool :)

Thanks!

Ok, question: let's imagine I am looking for 'near perfect pokemons only' (I want to create a team of 6+ fighters to take and keep gyms as much as I can).

I know about IV, but after looking for info and with experience, it seems to me the move set is actually even more important than the IV (even in the long run) in terms of pure efficiency.

So, right now I have a tentacruel for instance, 95.6 IV, with a 15 fast attack and a 60 charged attack. Can I consider it 'near perfect' since it has the best move set and a very IV? Should I look into even more than IV + move set as KPI? Thx in advance gaf.

I haven't had a chance to check it out myself but I figure it's worth warning everyone that word from some who've been filling up their pokeballs at them that for whatever reason they tend to have bad IVs. So they're great for just grinding out candy but if you want an actual good IV one, the nests might not be the best source (eggs are almost always the best way to get good IVs but nigh on impossible to influence so it's more like a lottery :p )

Was it around any specific geographical features that you remember? Maybe a dump or sewage facility? Or do you remember what kind of pokemon were around it? There seem to be definite pokemon "biomes" where certain ones are always together.

I caught one outside a breast screning clinic.

Haha, figured this out a second ago. I was guided to a download page the last few times. This browser thing is really cool :)

Thanks!
No worries! Glad you got it working! :D

Ok, question: let's imagine I am looking for 'near perfect pokemons only' (I want to create a team of 6+ fighters to take and keep gyms as much as I can).

I know about IV, but after looking for info and with experience, it seems to me the move set is actually even more important than the IV (even in the long run) in terms of pure efficiency.

So, right now I have a tentacruel for instance, 95.6 IV, with a 15 fast attack and a 60 charged attack. Can I consider it 'near perfect' since it has the best move set and a very IV? Should I look into even more than IV + move set as KPI? Thx in advance gaf.
The general order of importance seems to be pokemon > skillset > IVs > CP (CP comes last because you can just pump stardust into something to make it's CP higher while the 3 before it are fixed and cannot be influenced)
Your chances of finding a specific perfect IV mon AND not get screwed by the random moves when it evolves are near non-existant so it's best to go with the best you can find and 95.6 is REALLY good, you'll probably not see a better one. I generally try and keep any pokemon that hit 80% or better as the majority will be well below that. Also, if that tentacruel has blizzard it'll be a nightmare as a gym defender as it's literally impossible to avoid (the damage window is larger than the dodge window so at best all anyone can do is reduce the damage they take from it XD )

GulAtiCa

Found this rampaging through my neighborhood this morning! I actually already had a high CP hatch from a 5k egg, so this will be turned into extra candies. The funny thing is that I saw there were 10 minutes left, so I quickly got ready for work and ran out the door and drove to where it was. I got there just in time.

Waldini

PokeGAF ... some questions;

- Do stronger Pokemon (Snorlax, Charizard, Blastoise) show up after you've caught other
Pokemon?

- How do these gyms work? I took one over, got kicked out and received nothing? Do I have to stand close?

... I live in The Netherlands and I've never seen a big Pokemon pop up. Hell, I've only seen one Pikachu EVER and that's it.

CRA5H

I just started reading up on IV and it's really interesting and puts less focus on catching the high cp ones. One thing I'm still a little confused about is when you end up with multiple results. From what I understand, the only way to narrow down your results is to power it up?

It seems like I have a Charmander that could potentially by 100% but has 8 other combinations. Do I power this up to determine it's IV or should I wait to evolve it first?

Question for the group,

I'm level 18, with a Vaporeon who has a CP of 1465, HP of 153, attacks are 10 and 60. Also checked the IV calculator and it was 82.2%. I have a little over 20k stardust and its 2200 per upgrade.

My question is I have heard a lot of people tell me to not use a ton of stardust, is my Vaporeon someone to keep investing in or no?

Aomber

Holy shit NYC is fantastic for this game. Just caught some crazy Pokemon I never could find in my tiny suburb - wild dewgong, seaking, electabuzz etc

jennetics

- How do these gyms work? I took one over, got kicked out and received nothing? Do I have to stand close?

Don't know about the other questions but I'll answer this one.

Once you defeat a gym leader and the gym becomes grayish in color, you can leave a pokemon there to "guard" it. If there are multiple people with you that are on your team, you all can leave your pokemon and guard the gym for as long as possible.

Once you've left your pokemon at a particular gym, be sure to immediately go to the SHOP icon in the app. Once in the shop section, you'll see a shield icon in the upper-right hand corner of the screen. It should have a number 1 on it (meaning, you have one gift to receive). Click the shield icon and receive your gift. This is for leaving your pokemon at that gym.

You don't have to stand close by to the gym to defend it. Once another team of players decide to take on your gym, your pokemon will automatically defend it. If your pokemon is defeated, however, it'll automatically be sent back to your inventory with 1 HP.

I think that's about it? Hopefully that made sense.

jennetics

Question for the group,

I'm level 18, with a Vaporeon who has a CP of 1465, HP of 153, attacks are 10 and 60. Also checked the IV calculator and it was 82.2%. I have a little over 20k stardust and its 2200 per upgrade.

My question is I have heard a lot of people tell me to not use a ton of stardust, is my Vaporeon someone to keep investing in or no?

I'd recommend keeping it til you find a better one. There's always a better one...

- Do stronger Pokemon (Snorlax, Charizard, Blastoise) show up after you've caught other
Pokemon?

... I live in The Netherlands and I've never seen a big Pokemon pop up. Hell, I've only seen one Pikachu EVER and that's it.
- Aside from the ones that appear due to Incense (noted by a pink swirling cloud around their feet), all pokemon are global so nothing personal to you will change what spawns. It's simply geographical. If you're asking if capturing stuff in an area changes what spawns there... I don't think anyone's found any evidence of it (I've seen some ask though) There's some theories that the simple number of people in an area may change what spawns but I'm not sure that's been proven so I'd consider it a rumour/myth for now.

- Every time a pokemon in a gym is defeated by an enemy team, the gym's 'prestige' drops. If it drops enough then the gym loses a level and the lowest CP pokemon gets booted out. If the last pokemon in a gym is kicked out then it becomes neutral and anybody (not just the team who cleaned it out) can stick a pokemon in to claim it.
You can attack your own team's gyms to reinforce them and increase their prestige. Also, putting pokemon into empty gym slots also increases prestige. If it gains enough prestige to go up a level a new empty slot for anyone in the owning team becomes available, so check gyms to make sure they have a number of pokemon equal to their level, otherwise there's some empty slots you can probably help fill in with your own mons :3
As far as rewards go, you gain xp for every mon you defeated in the gym and if you have mons in gyms, you can go into the shop and click the shield on the top right to claim a 'defender reward', but be warned that once you hit the button you won't be able to claim a reward again for 21 hours (a timer shows up on the button to let you know when you can press it again) The reward you gain is based on how many pokemon you have in gyms (the number will be displayed on the shield button I just mentioned) up to a maximum of 10 gyms. The reward is 10 pokecoins and 5000 stardust x gyms.

I just started reading up on IV and it's really interesting and puts less focus on catching the high cp ones. One thing I'm still a little confused about is when you end up with multiple results. From what I understand, the only way to narrow down your results is to power it up?

It seems like I have a Charmander that could potentially by 100% but has 8 other combinations. Do I power this up to determine it's IV or should I wait to evolve it first?
On the online IV calc, you can refine the results by putting the stats in, evolving it, putting in the new stats and hitting the 'refine' button if you want to save on stardust. You may still need an upgrade or two to bring it down to one beyond that but hopefully the evolution will narrow the range down to an acceptable level / narrow enough range that you know the ballpark area of where it's going to be.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Has anybody seen a wild grimer? At this point that seems like the rarest pokemon around here. I've never heard of anybody catching a wild one, or seen any muks in gyms.

There are a bunch of Grimers in my neighborhood, enough for me to evolve him already.

Red Fire

When your great balls start curving like crazy, just try to hold your finger on the screen a little longer than usual while drawing a straight line. Works well for me.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
When your great balls start curving like crazy, just try to hold your finger on the screen a little longer than usual while drawing a straight line. Works well for me.

No, you just leave that g-damn pokemon alone. The curves can drive me crazy.

ehhh, I'm prone to leave my guys alone. Unless you're about to hit the max CP available, I'd probably leave it where it is and wait and see if I get a stronger Eevee. Just my take though, you do you :)

Thanks, I'm almost at max cp right now. Advice is much appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry, posted in wrong thread!

Pokemon Go related though: any Chicago Uptown Team Mystic players PM me - I wanna go on domination campaigns!

Golf courses make for the strangest spawns. There's one about 30 mins from my house that spawns lickitungs like crazy. 1 to 3 spawns every time I scan there.

I also discovered a somewhat consistent hitmonchan spawn at an intersection near my house. Just gotta get the timing right.

I know some people don't like the maps/scanners, but it has saved the game for me. Seeing a rare pokemon on the nearby list and knowing its a total shot in the dark to find it takes all the fun out. I get a kick out of trying to beat the clock to get something cool up the road.

Right now my biggest gripe is gym sniping. The other day i was at a gym that is accessible from the Wendy's parking lot nearby. It was my team's gym and I was building prestige to put one of my own on. As I'm taking down the final pokemon, a car pulls up next to me and the guy drops his own pokemon on the gym before i could get back to the map and then takes off. I didn't have the time to burn building it up another level and had to leave empty handed.

Not sure how Niantic could approach that though. Maybe a 1 minute window for the most recent gym challenger to place a pokemon before it opens to everyone? It just sucks putting work into a gym only for someone to just drive by it on you.

domlolz

Banned
I will go out on a limb here and say it probably has to do with whatever religious affiliation the media associates with. Trying to fit Pokémon Go into their agenda because it deals with evolution and stuff like that. Plus it's popular, so it's instant clicks.

...no

if anything its a generational divide

...no

if anything its a generational divide
Reading the comments on some of the articles is ill advised. Lots of people going "lol, they should stop wasting their time staring like zombies into their phones while playing a kid's game and go get a life" Probably posted by people who then go to zone out in front of the TV for a few hours. The irony is so thick you could take it down the blacksmiths and get it forged into a sull set of plate armour with stuff to spare :p

ironmang

Trying to find a Magikarp worth evolving is annoying. Best one I've found is 84-85%. Too bad the first 2/3 or so I transferred not knowing about IV stats and such. At this point I'll probably evolve the first one I see over 90%.

Trying to find a Magikarp worth evolving is annoying. Best one I've found is 84-85%. Too bad the first 2/3 or so I transferred not knowing about IV stats and such. At this point I'll probably evolve the first one I see over 90%.
...and then have it evolve into a useless moveset ;D

Pokemon go is a cruel mistress sometimes :p

Opened PokeVision to a Snorlax a few minutes from my house with less than a minute on the clock.

I wish I remained ignorant ;_;
Heh, I did the same with a Magmar. It was about 3 minutes away with 24 seconds left on the clock. I've never seen one before and will probably never see one again XD

GulAtiCa

Ran outside for a high CP Dratini (449). I'm now soaked. lol. Though, it's high CP. It looks like my mid-range Dragonair (470) has slightly better IV stats. So not sure which I'll keep. I'll keep both for now, and decide if I come across 100 candies (18 right now).

My 10k egg hatched into an Eevee! :( On the positive side, it's a high CP Eevee. 563 CP. With about 60% Avg IVs (min 50, high 82), so not bad. Got enough to evolve to Eevees now.

Has anyone gotten Niantic to move their account from PTC to Google? I read a few people put in tickets but there wasn't any followup as to whether it was successful. Guessing they are busy with other things

Kind of bummed I used so much stardust to power up my higher CP mons only to find out they're mid-range IVs after powering them up to test the ranges, but such is life.

This game is just begging to be min/maxed though, as they give out so few resources for the amount of "work" put in.

Which I understand why they do that, but at the same time I'll probably find a 1k or so Grass, Electric and Fighting type to round out my Gym team and then stop worrying about CP / IVs until I've got the resources again to start checking / evolving.

Going from 15 to almost 19 off the lucky egg was great, but it took a ton of my candies to get there. Now I'm out of them and stardust so I'm back to square one in the cycle but with better Pokémon overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom