• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it I never see evolved Pokemon until after I obtain them via evolution? Caught enough Meowth's to get a Persian but I never saw I Persian before, now all of the sudden I'm seeing a bunch of wild Persians. Makes no sense.

Right? I feel that way too. Makes me wanna just not bother evolving anything and see what happens. I guess there's no point in me having high CP Pokemon right away since I haven't had a single battle yet (I'm level 16)

LucidFlux

Another question, sorry guys, on IV:

If I have a 80% IV pokemon on HP for instance, does that mean his HP will be 80% of the max HP with the max IV? It seems enormous to me, like a 40% IV pokemon could only go up to 40% of its maximum HP (or attack, or defence for that matter)? It sounds like a 'lot'.

Did I get this right?

No, it would only effect the bonus HP gained from IV stats. So the overall percentage difference in max HP will be much lower than the % difference in IVs as most comes from the base stats for a particular pokemon.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Why is it I never see evolved Pokemon until after I obtain them via evolution? Caught enough Meowth's to get a Persian but I never saw a Persian before, now all of the sudden I'm seeing a bunch of wild Persians. Makes no sense.

yeah i always get them to pop up either right before im about to be able to evolve them with candies had 48 candies on a diglett then a dugtrio showed up or after ive already evolved them

edit: during the panel he did say there is a thing that still no one has found so maybe shiny do exist but im hoping its more of a ditto dose exist in the game just no one has figured out how to capture one yet

Now that I think about it I imagine the game mechanics would need to change somewhat since it'd be harder to farm/find the same Pokemon given the doubled roster. Someone on Reddit suggested that instead of the candies be Pokemon-specific that they be type-specific instead. That way there's more fluidity to use the candies elsewhere without needing to find a billion Bulbasaurs to power up/evolve.

Curious to see how they roll this out.
I'm curious too and have a few ideas but I'm sure we'll find out in a few months either way :3

So technically I should have been hoarding high value pokemon since level 1 although it would require a ton of extra stardust and candies to level.

Thanks a bunch!
No worries. And in a perfect world, yes, but the game doesn't explain any of this so it's an unreasonable expectation :3
Best bet is to always check the IVs of pokemon that hatch from eggs as they seem to get a bonus to their IVs that ensures they're almost always good to amazing. Pokemon caught in the wild have totally random IVs, so while they can still sometimes come out with high ones they can also give you absymal ones :p

Another question, sorry guys, on IV:

If I have a 80% IV pokemon on HP for instance, does that mean his HP will be 80% of the max HP with the max IV? It seems enormous to me, like a 40% IV pokemon could only go up to 40% of its maximum HP (or attack, or defence for that matter)? It sounds like a 'lot'.

Did I get this right?
Nope, but it's not the most intuitive system so let me explain :D
the IVs are the bonus added to the base stats and go from 0 to 15. so if you had 80% for HP IVs that'd be +12 (80% of 15 is 12) to the base stamina. The value of the base plus the IV is then multiplied by the pokemon's level (well, it's actually multiplied by a magic number people call the CP scalar but don't worry about it, honestly, this stuff is complicated enough already :p ) to find the pokemon's stats for combat.
So... if you have 0% IV in something you still have the base stat as opposed to having 0 health ;D

LucidFlux

Thanks so much!

How much lower? Is there a way to calculate that?

Thx!

No prob, and that's a good question, surely there must be a calculator out there to determine max hp if you know the IVs/CP. Let me search around real quick.

Edit: Geminosity linked a database below, looks like the range between min and max HP isn't too bad, Vaporeon for instance has min hp of 211 and a max of 217.

Lukemon

Finally found and got my first Lapras! YAY
Shit, only 130CP. BOO
Well, at least it's cheap to level. YAY
Ice Shard/Dragon Pulse? BOO
Wait, near-perfect IVs! YAY
But where will I find that much Lapras Candy? BOO

What a rollercoaster of an afternoon...

Fireblend

Banned
Got a 700+ CP Growlithe (finally!) that the IV raters say is decent, but it's still not worth powering up, right? I'm level 21 and I still should expect finding better ones in the wild as I continue leveling up?

Lukemon

How do I get all the starter Pokemon? Will I just find them all eventually?

Wild catches are vaguely common if you can find areas where water/grass/fire types tend to appear (caught a fair few Squirtles and a couple Wartortles so far - we're near the sea), plus 2k eggs are your friend - if you can dodge the Pidgeys and Caterpies and hit starters, you get a decent Candy boost too.

VoxPop

Finally found and got my first Lapras! YAY
Shit, only 130CP. BOO
Well, at least it's cheap to level. YAY
Ice Shard/Dragon Pulse? BOO
Wait, near-perfect IVs! YAY
But where will I find that much Lapras Candy? BOO

What a rollercoaster of an afternoon...

Haha now that I figured all this out, it's going to be pretty miserable.

The worst thing would be evolving a perfect IV magikarp into a Gyrados with terrible moves :(

great to live right next to 2 pokestops with People sitting on a park bench gifting me free pokemon hahaha :D

at home right now hehe

that pic looks like a smiley face XD
6YySHEG.jpg

Are there any mobile 'map' apps out there that are any good? I still use the Python script but it'd be nice to have something reliable on the go. Hadn't checked for over a week, it seemed like the initial wave of them were shaky at best.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think PokeVision is a lot better now. It seems to be using whatever technique the Python script is because it's showing much more stuff than it used to, more accurately as well. It's till my go-to for poketracking outside of the house.

zoukka

I think PokeVision is a lot better now. It seems to be using whatever technique the Python script is because it's showing much more stuff than it used to, more accurately as well. It's till my go-to for poketracking outside of the house.

Yeah I feel bad for using it, but until Niantic gives a fuck about the internal tracker, I'll keep using pokevision. I mean the internal tracker shows me pokemon that don't exist on the map... fuck that tease.

Down to 7 Pokeballs now in a rural area. Rendered practically unplayable now unless I spend a weeks worth of commutes doing nothing but picking up Pokeballs and never catching anything only to run into the issue again. We have a pub here which I really don't see why it isn't a Pokestop. It would solve so many rural issues to just add pubs as stops.

Se_7_eN

How are people catching anything from their couch? There's literally never anything in my house.

Same... Nothing in or around my apartment complex.

A couple blocks in all directions are gyms and tons of pokestops, but never anything at my place.

Haines

Banned
Made it to level 5.

Game is interesting to do a couple times a week but I couldn't imagine anyone taking this thing serious. It's more like a walking buddy that reminds you how dangerous distractions are in public.

Escargo

Made it to level 5.

Game is interesting to do a couple times a week but I couldn't imagine anyone taking this thing serious. It's more like a walking buddy that reminds you how dangerous distractions are in public.

I guess it depends on where you live? It's no big deal here in the suburbs.

Haly

How are people catching anything from their couch? There's literally never anything in my house.

They're in apartments/offices in dense urban areas.

I think Pokemon Go is a good metaphor for class warfare in a general sense.

The privileged inner-city elite get more pokemon, free pokeballs and items, more gyms; an all around superior experience.

The disenfranchised rural proletariat who, already suffering from a dearth of pokemon, also have to spend money just to get pokeballs, money that goes into making the game better primarily for urbanites.

johnsmith

remember me
They're in apartments/offices in dense urban areas.

I think Pokemon Go is a good metaphor for class warfare in a general sense.

The privileged inner-city elite get more pokemon, free pokeballs and items, more gyms; an all around superior experience.

The disenfranchised rural proletariat who, already suffering from a dearth of pokemon, also have to spend money just to get pokeballs, money that goes into making the game better primarily for urbanites.

Add to this the starter nests in golf courses.

venomenon

250 Magicarp candy to go... This better be worth it. Then again, PoGo finally gives me a reason to hang out at the beach daily after living in a seaside city for years :D

Just a matter of luck, I guess. Living in an urban area surely helps. I can practically farm Pidgeys, Rattatas and Fearows out of my flat.

Speaking of which, do we know to what extent spawns are fixed? It definitely feels like I've been getting way more Fearows in my flat in the last couple of days while getting considerably fewer Weedles. The general spawn rate of Pokemons in this area is pretty constant.

Insaniac

Made it to level 5.

its very interesting when you go to a popular park where you can walk along the trails. A lot of the trail markers are pokestops, and you find a lot of people walking around playing pokemon go.

I don't understand why people are interested in IV's when a min IV pokemon can take down a gym just as easily as a max IV pokemon, and defenders basically see no difference either.

The way battling works, attackers have all the advantages, and a little difference in IV makes no difference at all, at least in my experience.

I can solo every gym I have come across with an 1800 CP Vaporeon, even if they have much higher CP Pokemon defending. That same Vaporeon, or any other Pokemon, can't possibly defend a gym if there is a halfway decent attacker.

The min-maxing of IVs seems pointless to me.

Permanently A

I don't understand why people are interested in IV's when a min IV pokemon can take down a gym just as easily as a max IV pokemon, and defenders basically see no difference either.

The way battling works, attackers have all the advantages, and a little difference in IV makes no difference at all, at least in my experience.

I can solo every gym I have come across with an 1800 CP Vaporeon, even if they have much higher CP Pokemon defending. That same Vaporeon, or any other Pokemon, can't possibly defend a gym if there is a halfway decent attacker.

Totally agreed.

Haly

Have you guys seen hardcore mainline fans go at it? They live for min-maxing. It's almost a religious experience for them.

Firemind

i mean

they're going to add more content down the road

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just got home... shivers down my everything, coughing my lungs out

In bathtub now, soooo warm and cozy i'm so happy

Lunar FC

Have you guys seen hardcore mainline fans go at it? They live for min-maxing. It's almost a religious experience for them.

Their was a guy posting last night about how he doesn't play with friends because that is a waste of time. It was hilarious.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Because there's not much else to the game now, is what I'm guessing. I did some reading up on it yesterday and it doesn't seem to make a big difference, at least not enough for the time it takes imo.

Isn't that for multiplayer where both trainers are on equal footing, and it actually makes a difference in battle? In Go, it's basically "attacker wins" every time, so min-maxing is 100% pointless with the current rule set.

Someone mentioned future features... maybe min-maxing will make a difference there, but that's not a promise and not nearly enough incentive for me to give a shit now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshichan, how do you afford to do this for major game releases? I loved your DSIII stream, btw.

I love that you have no half measures when you love a game, but man it leaves me with some questions.
Ask away buddy, my (loving) gf supports me 100% and I get a kick knowing that I'm doing something that other people are blown away by (be it in a good or even bad way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom