• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I played some more today and got a few Pokémon but for some reason they like to pop up just before I cross the road. :|

Also hatched my first egg and got a Vulpix.

This weekend was legit:

Hatched a 1000cp Snorlax from a 10K egg, which I now leveled to 1500

Caught a Kabuto on Cape Cod near the Chatam Lighthouse...although this was semi-depressing because my girlfriend tried to catch it also and it ran away on her :(

Hatched an Electrabuzz from a 10K egg

Hatched a Porygon from a 10K egg

Caught an 800cp Scyther which was down the road

Hit plenty of Pokestops walking downtown where I'm at 80 great balls and 180 pokeballs

Caught a 700cp Dragonite when I got home and was sitting on my couch watching TV. Big guy was hanging out in my kitchen.

Ahhhhh

I hit level 23 a couple days ago and my motivation to keep playing pretty much vanished overnight.

I have no desire to keep leveling past 23, which means I have no desire to catch pidgeys/weedles/anything common.

I can take out any gym in town easily, most of them 100% solo with Vaporeon.

I have no way to control the holding of gyms. I put some crazy Gyarados/Lapras/whatever in there and it gets taken within minutes.

The biggest complaint of all is that there basically aren't ever any new Pokemon any more. I caught everything there is to catch in my relatively busy area, and nothing new ever shows up. The only way to get new Pokemon is through eggs (I only have 5k eggs right now, which are the worst), and through some super coincidence luck finding something in the wild that rarely ever shows up.

Great game while it lasted, but it didn't take long to burn out...

Scotia

Banned
Just caught a Meowth in my bathroom which is crazy seeing as I live in the middle of nowhere and all I get normally is Weedles and Pidgeys.

I still don't understand how the IV / Skillset stuff works.

I have a 1888 Arcanine and 1800 Gyrados but they're pretty shitty.

My weaker Vaporeon and Lapras clean house. The calculators are confusing as hell and I have no clue what I should be looking for.

Can someone explain how I know a pokemons IV before/after I catch them?
You can't tell anything about a pokemon's IVs until you've caught it.
IV calculators work by you opening your pokemon section and tapping on the pokemon you want to check so you can see all of it's visible stats.
You then enter the Species, CP value, HP value and the stardust cost listed on the 'upgrade' button. If you just caught or hatched the pokemon you can safely ignore the 'powered up' section on most calculators.
The whole thing works off the simple fact that CP is a number made by totalling the various stats. It takes HP which is the only clearly labelled one, and works out the level based on the stardust upgrade cost (the cost goes up every few levels)
The reason you'll usually get multiple results though is that there's rarely enough information to pinpoint exactly one set of IVs that could generate that outcome so the list is all the possible combinations of IVs that could have lead to the pokemon you currently have.

BUT.... while IVs are helpful...

IV is less important in combat than a Pokemon's move set. Your Arcanine and Gyarados might just have shitty primary moves.

So, when selecting pokemon the important things in order from most to least is:
* Species (arcanine, gyarados, etc)
* Moveset (most specifically your regular/quick attack. A number of the special attacks are too slow or even too low damage to be useful by comparison)
* IVs
* CP

The reason CP comes last is because you can upgrade your pokemon using stardust so CP can be improved, while Species, Moveset and IVs are outside of your control and can't be made better than whatever the game hands you.
Movesets are the most annoying limitation because they're picked randomly every time you evolve and nobody has identified anything that remotely hints you can tell or influence what they'll be so evolving, while necessary for the increased stats is a candy gambling game with you crossing your fingers that you won't get slow, low-damage moves :s

If you want a straight forward way to find the best moves for a poke, the simplest way is just to find the one with the highest DPS. Click on the pokemon here and look for the DPS on the far right of the move to see which is best (the DPS before that one is the base, the one on the far right is with same type attack bonus added. aka grass pokemon using a grass attack gets extra damage)
There's some nuance to the special moves that isn't inherent in the DPS numbers but a high DPS special move is good enough in most situations so I wouldn't worry about the details too much :3

Thank you so much for the help Gemi!

I'll stick to IV + move set for now, if it's hard to dodge, I'll consider this a 'nice to have' then :) Thx again!
Yup yup. Glad if I helped clear anything up :D

VoxPop

You can't tell anything about a pokemon's IVs until you've caught it.
IV calculators work by you opening your pokemon section and tapping on the pokemon you want to check so you can see all of it's visible stats.
You then enter the Species, CP value, HP value and the stardust cost listed on the 'upgrade' button. If you just caught or hatched the pokemon you can safely ignore the 'powered up' section on most calculators.
The whole thing works off the simple fact that CP is a number made by totalling the various stats. It takes HP which is the only clearly labelled one, and works out the level based on the stardust upgrade cost (the cost goes up every few levels)
The reason you'll usually get multiple results though is that there's rarely enough information to pinpoint exactly one set of IVs that could generate that outcome so the list is all the possible combinations of IVs that could have lead to the pokemon you currently have.

BUT.... while IVs are helpful...

So, when selecting pokemon the important things in order from most to least is:
* Species (arcanine, gyarados, etc)
* Moveset (most specifically your regular/quick attack. A number of the special attacks are too slow or even too low damage to be useful by comparison)
* IVs
* CP

The reason CP comes last is because you can upgrade your pokemon using stardust so CP can be improved, while Species, Moveset and IVs are outside of your control and can't be made better than whatever the game hands you.
Movesets are the most annoying limitation because they're picked randomly every time you evolve and nobody has identified anything that remotely hints you can tell or influence what they'll be so evolving, while necessary for the increased stats is a candy gambling game with you crossing your fingers that you won't get slow, low-damage moves :s

If you want a straight forward way to find the best moves for a poke, the simplest way is just to find the one with the highest DPS. Click on the pokemon here and look for the DPS on the far right of the move to see which is best (the DPS before that one is the base, the one on the far right is with same type attack bonus added. aka grass pokemon using a grass attack gets extra damage)
There's some nuance to the special moves that isn't inherent in the DPS numbers but a high DPS special move is good enough in most situations so I wouldn't worry about the details too much :3

Yup yup. Glad if I helped clear anything up :D

Wow thanks a lot this great useful info :)

edit: also does it matter if i.e

I find a 130 CP magikarp with some room for improvement on the CP scale and evolve it into a gyrados

compared to

finding a 150 magikarp and evolving it into a gyrados with no room for improvement

would it be the same CP if I just leveled up the gyrados after?

or if I find a 100 magikarp at a lower level, would I be able to upgrade it into a 150 magikarp down the line later?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've been on this spot charging my phone outside a church with triple pokestop and lure for 21 hours

Getting tired and cold

LucidFlux

I find a 130 CP magikarp with some room for improvement on the CP scale and evolve it into a gyrados

compared to

finding a 150 magikarp and evolving it into a gyrados with no room for improvement

or if I find a 100 magikarp at a lower level, would I be able to upgrade it into a 150 magikarp down the line later?

The max CP is determined partially by the IVs, so technically that 100 Magikarp may not hit the same CP as the 150 when maxed out if it has very low IVs or It could potentially be better when fully leveled, it would just take more candies and stardust to do it.

Man,

I've been in jury duty all day. There are two pokestops within the courthouse that I can get without moving at all in the Jury Assembly Room.

Someone(s) has been dropping Lures on those stops all day. I've caught so many pokemon it's ridiculous. I woke up this morning at Level 9. Now I'm level 11.

I've been on this spot charging my phone outside a church with triple pokestop and lure for 21 hours

Getting tired and cold

Yoshichan, how do you afford to do this for major game releases? I loved your DSIII stream, btw.

I love that you have no half measures when you love a game, but man it leaves me with some questions.

VoxPop

The max CP is determined partially by the IVs, so technically that 100 Magikarp may not hit the same CP as the 150 when maxed out if it has very low IVs or It could potentially be better when fully leveled, it would just take more candies and stardust to do it.

Ah ic. So basically I should just be storing all the pokemon and checking every single IV if I wanted a potentially killer one before I transfer them.

Mostly with Pokemon that evolve into big bad ones (3 starters, magikarp, growlithes, eevees, etc)?

LucidFlux

Ah ic. So basically I should just be storing all the pokemon and checking every single IV if I wanted a potentially killer one before I transfer them.

Mostly with Pokemon that evolve into big bad ones (3 starters, magikarp, growlithes, eevees, etc)?

Yep you've got it. Granted you'll probably want to set a cut off for what you consider is "good enough" to evolve, like say 80%+ perfect IVs. Hell I just learned about these the other day and discovered my big bad Vaporeon has terrible IVs but it doesn't seem to matter in the current battle system as he steamrolls gyms just fine. That said I'm hoarding Eevee's again =P

for the first time since I started scanning my area I have spotted a wild bulbasaur

not gonna bother running out to get it because I won't make it, but it is nice to know they exist.

now I just need to see a charmander at some point :p

Saw an Ivysaur a couple blocks down from my house, but it had about a minute left before it expired. Had to double take thinking it was something else.

VoxPop

Yep you've got it. Granted you'll probably want to set a cut off for what you consider is "good enough" to evolve, like say 80%+ perfect IVs. Hell I just learned about these the other day and discovered my big bad Vaporeon has terrible IVs but it doesn't seem to matter in the current battle system as he steamrolls gyms just fine. That said I'm hoarding Eevee's again =P

Awesome. Basically a new game for me again :p

How do you know which moves are good and which ones are shit?
Check their DPS (Damage Per Second) in one of the various compendiums floating about. This one for example: https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/
You're interested in the DPS number on the far right as that takes into account stuff like bonuses for the attack element matching the pokemon's element.
There can be more nuance for special attacks but again if it's high DPS its very likely good enough and not worth getting worked up over :3

Wow thanks a lot this great useful info :)

compared to

No worries :D
So a pokemon's maximum CP is determined by 2 things:
a) your trainer level
b) base stats + IVs

Now the first one matters because your pokemon have a 'level' of their own and it cannot be more than your trainer's level + 1.5 (so if you're level 12 your pokemon can be upgraded to 13.5 maximum)
That 'CP Scale' is actually the pokemon's level scaled against the maximum allowed by your trainer level (far left = level 1, far right = your trainer level + 1.5)
One thing that's important to know about evolution is that while it changes the pokemon's species and therefore it's base stats, it does not change it's level so it will be on exactly the same point on the 'CP scale' as before you evolved it.
Now, if this was all there was to it, all pokemon would be the same when fully upgraded but...

Each species have their own base stats that define them (e.g. magikarp all have 40 stamina, 42 attack and 84 defence as their base stats while bulbasaurs have 90 stamina, 126 attack and 126 defence, so a bulbasaur will always have more health, do more damage and take less damage than a magikarp of the same level)

Then on top of this each pokemon have their IVs (Individual Values) which are unique to that pokemon rathr than species (so magikarp 1 will probably have different IVs from magikarp 2) which is a bonus of 0 to 15 points added to each of the 3 stats.
So, for example, a magikarp with 0 for all 3 types of IV would have the base stats mentioned before (40/42/84) whle one with 15 for all IVs would have stats 15 higher (55/57/99).
Most pokemon don't lie at the extremes though so you're more likely to find something like a magikarp with (for example) 5 stamina IV, 10 attack IV and 15 defence IV which makes their stats:
stamina: base 40 + 5 IV = 45 final stamina
attack: base 42 + 10 IV = 52 final attack
defence: base 84 + 15 IV = 99 final defence

These final stats are then multiplied by the level and some other stuff to give the stats that the pokemon actually use in a fight as well as your CP value :3

In a nutshell if you upgraded two gyarados until their 'CP scale's were full, their CP values would not match and the one with the better IV values would have a higher CP than the one with less IVs.

I hope that helps :eek:

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but we don't really know the timetable for the gen 2 rollout right? Has there ever been confirmation that other gens will be introduced?

Heh, again, species and moveset trump IVs. A vaporean's base stats are fantastic (e.g. it has more health than a dragonite!) so even if you had one with 0 in all 3 IVs it'll still destroy most other pokemon, ESPECIALLY as it'll have water gun which is a crazy fast move with good damage and matches vaporeon's typing so it gets the same type attack bonus ( basically an extra 25% damage more than usual)

IVs start to become more important when the species and their movesets are close to equally matched (or completely the same if you were facing off against another vaporean for example) as then whoever has the best IVs will probably win.

Crazyorloco

I hit level 23 a couple days ago and my motivation to keep playing pretty much vanished overnight.

The biggest complaint of all is that there basically aren't ever any new Pokemon any more. I caught everything there is to catch in my relatively busy area, and nothing new ever shows up.

Great game while it lasted, but it didn't take long to burn out...

...you're on level 23. I'm sure that took a long time to get to. Explore new areas, this game has made me look at other parts of new york city I never go to, and that has helped me find new pokemon.

Also, I think the future updates should reinvigorate interest.

Check their DPS (Damage Per Second) in one of the various compendiums floating about. This one for example: https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/

a) your trainer level
b) base stats + IVs

Great info!!!

VoxPop

You're interested in the DPS number on the far right as that takes into account stuff like bonuses for the attack element matching the pokemon's element.
There can be more nuance for special attacks but again if it's high DPS its very likely good enough and not worth getting worked up over :3

a) your trainer level
b) base stats + IVs

Now the first one matters because your pokemon have a 'level' of their own and it cannot be more than your trainer's level + 1.5 (so if you're level 12 your pokemon can be upgraded to 13.5 maximum)
That 'CP Scale' is actually the pokemon's level scaled against the maximum allowed by your trainer level (far left = level 1, far right = your trainer level + 1.5)
One thing that's important to know about evolution is that while it changes the pokemon's species and therefore it's base stats, it does not change it's level so it will be on exactly the same point on the 'CP scale' as before you evolved it.
Now, if this was all there was to it, all pokemon would be the same when fully upgraded but...

Each species have their own base stats that define them (e.g. magikarp all have 40 stamina, 42 attack and 84 defence as their base stats while bulbasaurs have 90 stamina, 126 attack and 126 defence, so a bulbasaur will always have more health, do more damage and take less damage than a magikarp of the same level)

Then on top of this each pokemon have their IVs (Individual Values) which are unique to that pokemon rathr than species (so magikarp 1 will probably have different IVs from magikarp 2) which is a bonus of 0 to 15 points added to each of the 3 stats.
So, for example, a magikarp with 0 for all 3 types of IV would have the base stats mentioned before (40/42/84) whle one with 15 for all IVs would have stats 15 higher (55/57/99).
Most pokemon don't lie at the extremes though so you're more likely to find something like a magikarp with (for example) 5 stamina IV, 10 attack IV and 15 defence IV which makes their stats:
stamina: base 40 + 5 IV = 45 final stamina
attack: base 42 + 10 IV = 52 final attack
defence: base 84 + 15 IV = 99 final defence

These final stats are then multiplied by the level and some other stuff to give the stats that the pokemon actually use in a fight as well as your CP value :3

In a nutshell if you upgraded two gyarados until their 'CP scale's were full, their CP values would not match and the one with the better IV values would have a higher CP than the one with less IVs.

Wow I'm learning a ton today haha.

So say I caught a magikarp at level 12. Would it be capped at 12 or become 18 (+1.5) when I hit level 18?

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but we don't really know the timetable for the gen 2 rollout right? Has there ever been confirmation that other gens will be introduced?
As far as I'm aware Niantic stated they will be adding more generations to the game in future. I keep hearing something about the end of this year but I'd have to dig into it to confirm anything beyond just mere rumours.

Wow I'm learning a ton today haha.

So say I caught a magikarp at level 12. Would it be capped at 12 or become 18 (+1.5) when I hit level 18?
The cap is always based on your current level so as you increase in level the cap also moves up. If you check the level arc / cp scale above a pokemon before and after you level up as a trainer, you'll notice it empties a bit because now it's further from the new level cap :3

LucidFlux

Heh, again, species and moveset trump IVs. A vaporean's base stats are fantastic (e.g. it has more health than a dragonite!) so even if you had one with 0 in all 3 IVs it'll still destroy most other pokemon, ESPECIALLY as it'll have water gun which is a crazy fast move with good damage and matches vaporeon's typing so it gets the same type attack bonus ( basically an extra 25% damage more than usual)

IVs start to become more important when the species and their movesets are close to equally matched (or completely the same if you were facing off against another vaporean for example) as then whoever has the best IVs will probably win.

Oh I agree, that's why I didn't immediately candify my current vaporeon and am working towards a better replacement for down the road. I think my current is somewhere between 24-60% but due to water gun he's perfectly fine for now :)

As far as I'm aware Niantic stated they will be adding more generations to the game in future. I keep hearing something about the end of this year but I'd have to dig into it to confirm anything beyond just mere rumours.

Now that I think about it I imagine the game mechanics would need to change somewhat since it'd be harder to farm/find the same Pokemon given the doubled roster. Someone on Reddit suggested that instead of the candies be Pokemon-specific that they be type-specific instead. That way there's more fluidity to use the candies elsewhere without needing to find a billion Bulbasaurs to power up/evolve.

Curious to see how they roll this out.

VoxPop

The cap is always based on your current level so as you increase in level the cap also moves up. If you check the level arc / cp scale above a pokemon before and after you level up as a trainer, you'll notice it empties a bit because now it's further from the new level cap :3

So technically I should have been hoarding high value pokemon since level 1 although it would require a ton of extra stardust and candies to level.

Thanks a bunch!

Souldscribe said:
Now that I think about it I imagine the game mechanics would need to change somewhat since it'd be harder to farm/find the same Pokemon given the doubled roster. Someone on Reddit suggested that instead of the candies be Pokemon-specific that they be type-specific instead. That way there's more fluidity to use the candies elsewhere without needing to find a billion Bulbasaurs to power up/evolve.

Curious to see how they roll this out.

This would be amazing

Shiggie

My friend found a shiny Magicarp
jxcYKJM.jpg

xkgSh30.jpg

Another question, sorry guys, on IV:

If I have a 80% IV pokemon on HP for instance, does that mean his HP will be 80% of the max HP with the max IV? It seems enormous to me, like a 40% IV pokemon could only go up to 40% of its maximum HP (or attack, or defence for that matter)? It sounds like a 'lot'.

Did I get this right?

Dishwalla

Banned
Why is it I never see evolved Pokemon until after I obtain them via evolution? Caught enough Meowth's to get a Persian but I never saw a Persian before, now all of the sudden I'm seeing a bunch of wild Persians. Makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom