• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I retract my statement of getting bored of this game.

Was together with some friends and this is just hella exciting and fun to play together.

Me and some friends were driving over to get a mate from the airport. (I was the driver and I was NOT playing) but my friends had my phone and their phones out and were screaming every time a new pokemon would appear.

Funny as hell.

Lukemon

How many 10k egg did you guys get so far?
All my friend got like 3 or 4 before lv. 20.
I'm lv. 24 now and only got one 10k egg so far. I'm kinda pissed.

Level 20, only hatched two so far (Scyther/Dratini) and got my third today, which I'll start on tomorrow. Terrified of getting an Onix or a Jynx (hella common here), though - Snorlax please!

Nightbird

Finally reached level 20.

I decided to slow down on any kind of leveling, and solely concentrate on collecting candies and Stardust now in preparation for Gen 2.

I also want a Blastoise and an Arcanine.

Does any android user if there is an app that works as well/better than Pokevision?

The Hermit

tumblr_inline_my4u81fx9T1rtkig4.png

and the answer is...

that was hilarious

My pokestop won't let me spin for balls/items anymore. It's blue, I spin, and it always says "Please wait a little", then turns purple and I get no items. The pokemon show up as normal though.

Not sure if it's worth mentioning but the map in the area is messed up and missing roads. It seems to be overlapping somehow. I don't play much outside so I don't know if it's only my area, or other places as well.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
My maps aren't as complete as they used to be (some roads and stuff have gone missing). As for the stops, check your journal (click on your portrait on the bottom left to access it) and double check to see if you got the items as it'll list any pokestop pickups there :3

For me, the whole idea of IVs and shit like that is something I'd rather not exist. Eventually, the people whose only hobby is Pokémon Go will hold every gym and it'll be a bastard to get them out of it.
Despite studying and explaining the IVs a lot I'm not actually a fan of them either... but they're there so I'm gonna use them :p

that was hilarious
:3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol, wow

So there was an event invite from one of the groups down here today at a local park that is basically a Growlithe nest apparently, figured I'd stop by after work and check it out. First off the growlithes were real
But more importantly there were a gazillion food trucks all lined up along the footpaths which apparently happens every single tuesday. No variety of food was unaccounted for... tons and tons of people out (at least half, conservatively, playing PoGo) kids and dogs everywhere. And the park itself is fucking awesome, it has tons of shade, a lake you can fish in, a playground that's a pokestop, a frisbee golf course...

Just a really lovely way to spend the early evening. And the headline here is that this is a park I have lived within 6 miles or less of my entire life, and never knew this was going on. I'm not sure if I've ever even stepped foot in this park before but even beyond the Growlithes I think I may have a new Tuesday tradition.

Can't say I've ever cared less about whatever flaws a game may have

Scoops

Banned
Been loving this game. I don't even care about the gyms, I just like collecting.

I'm a Level 15 and my Pokedex is at 77 caught and 79 seen. I guess I'm right around the halfway point as far as catching them all goes.

I live in kind of a suburban/rural area so there isn't too much variety of Pokemon out by my home. I've been hatching two eggs a day though on my runs.

Today I evolved into a Nidorina and evolved into Kadabra and Haunter after getting Ghastly and Abra eggs today.

Speaking of Kadabra it seems way underpowered as far as CP goes. Not that I really care.

Speaking of Kadabra it seems way underpowered as far as CP goes.
Any pokemon with a good speed stat got kind of screwed by how Niantic adapted the stats over to pokemon go sadly. Attack speed is now entirely dictated by the attacks themselves (so a snorlax licks at the same speed as a haunter or lickitung) and the weight of speed as a stat in working out other stuff is pretty minimal. That's why electric types get so badly messed up too :p

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm pretty bored at this point. There just really isn't a goal anymore. You grind to 20 (which is a meh experience to do so since anything but pidgeys, weedles, and caterpies are pointless) so you can finally be competitive, then you just crush all the gyms with your easiest to get pokemon (vaporeon) while every other 'mon is just 'okay' at best with battling, so there's no incentive to catch anything anymore. Actually, I don't even bother catching things now. It's not worth my time, either through bulk leveling or just catching for fighting sake. It's too slow to level and not worth the gain, or it will just be worse than vaporeon.

There's really no balance to this game at all and no point to any of the other pokemon other than the collectathon aspect, if you're into that sort of thing. However, then the region and location exclusion is in place so your odds of getting all the available pokemon are basically zero without spoofing. Luckily, that aspect never interested me.

I just can't believe they couldn't make the other pokemon competitive at all, and made the best gym taker one of the easiest pokemon to get. It's just a really disappointing end game scenario.

Oh well, I guess it was an interesting experience.

Scoops

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty bored at this point. There just really isn't a goal anymore. You grind to 20 (which is a meh experience to do so since anything but pidgeys, weedles, and caterpies are pointless) so you can finally be competitive, then you just crush all the gyms with your easiest to get pokemon (vaporeon) while every other 'mon is just 'okay' at best with battling, so there's no incentive to catch anything anymore. Actually, I don't even bother catching things now. It's not worth my time, either through bulk leveling or just catching for fighting sake. It's too slow to level and not worth the gain, or it will just be worse than vaporeon.

There's really no balance to this game at all and no point to any of the other pokemon other than the collectathon aspect, if you're into that sort of thing. However, then the region and location exclusion is in place so your odds of getting all the available pokemon are basically zero without spoofing. Luckily, that aspect never interested me.

I just can't believe they couldn't make the other pokemon competitive at all, and made the best gym taker one of the easiest pokemon to get. It's just a really disappointing end game scenario.

Oh well, I guess it was an interesting experience.

Seems like you care too much about gyms and not enough about just collecting Pokemon for fun.

If you don't like collecting for the fun of it, the game really isn't for you. There just isn't enough to the battle system.

Yeah to me the charm of this game is the collecting part. Even the only motivation the game gives you to fight at gyms is collecting coins which you can use to buy items that will allow you to keep collecting pokemon.

Sure it would be great if they revamped the battle system and added pvp but to me the main incentive is finding and collecting rare pokemon.

J-Roderton

I still don't get the point of these gyms. I make it to one owned by my team and there is only one Pokemon on it. Does that not mean I can put one of mine on it to defend it? The only thing I could do was battle that Pokemon.

hydruxo

Been loving this game. I don't even care about the gyms, I just like collecting.

I'm a Level 15 and my Pokedex is at 77 caught and 79 seen. I guess I'm right around the halfway point as far as catching them all goes.

I live in kind of a suburban/rural area so there isn't too much variety of Pokemon out by my home. I've been hatching two eggs a day though on my runs.

Today I evolved into a Nidorina and evolved into Kadabra and Haunter after getting Ghastly and Abra eggs today.

Speaking of Kadabra it seems way underpowered as far as CP goes. Not that I really care.

I feel the same. The gym stuff doesn't do much for me but I love the thrill of hunting down new Pokemon while I'm out.

Went down to the movie theater today. Only 3 Pokespots (including the theater itself) and 2 Gyms. Walked to the Wal-Mart across the street after Star Trek Beyond. Saw a Magmar on the radar, but a while I gave up on finding it. I did find this later when shopping at Fry's:

Pokemon has always been about collecting. I mean, the damn catch phrase was "Gotta catch 'em all."

But yeah, they really do need to have incentives in finding all the 'mons. These medals are useless. The thrill of finding some new gets old especially when you come across nothing but rats and birds.

It just isn't the same as coming across a new route and getting into X amounts of random battles to find out what's in the grass.

hirokazu

So I decided to give GUI frontend of the Pokémon Go map a go and it seems it's missing/not loading the CSS file or something? All I get is this:
Screen%20Shot%202016-07-27%20at%2012.00.16%20PM.png

Guess it's back to the Python script for the time being.

PokeVision always shows a couple Rhyhorns at the local football stadium, so I might chill down there for a while today until I can evolve a Rhydon.

And then the northern suburbs have a ton of Growlithe so I might go there for an Arcanine :p

Ryck

I need some advice guys I am on level 11 and I have nine Pokémon ready to evolve. Should I use a lucky egg and evolve them all/half/wait till later?

Not sure what to do. I feel like everyone is already 20+ and Im just stuck. :-/

lt519

The collection aspect now that the initial rush is over is relegated to pulling out your phone now and then to see if a rare is around. I've evolved most of what I can in my area and being at level 20 its no longer interesting to walk around and catch everything in sight. The days of hunting are really over for me. I just pull it out now and then or if I am in a completely new locale to check what's there, but I haven't walked around with it out in my hand in 4-5 days now like I was initially when everything was new and fun.

I try to hatch some eggs here and there while golfing, going for walks, etc. They seem to be the most reliable source for new Pokemon now.

If they fix the nearby system I might go hunting again.

I need some advice guys I am on level 11 and I have nine Pokémon ready to evolve. Should I use a lucky egg and evolve them all/half/wait till later?

Yeah you'll get more Lucky Eggs later for leveling, the longer you can hold out and stack evolutions the better, but worst case if all your evolves are new Pokemon, with a Lucky Egg that'll net you 18000. I typically did it when I had around 20 Pokemon to evolve and/or a few eggs about to hatch. I did it right when I had a couple 10km ready to hatch and those both netted me 3k experience.

hirokazu

You want 60-70 Pokémon ready to evolve for maximum use of the Lucky Egg.

Ryck

60-70?!?

Good lord I must be doing something wrong haha.

I have 2 lucky eggs, dunno it thats relevant to anything.

lt519

You want 60-70 Pokémon ready to evolve for maximum use of the Lucky Egg.

That's absurd. If you waited to catch 250 Pidgeys to do that then you are playing the game wrong. I reached level 20 with less than 500 pokemon caught total.

60-70?!?

Good lord I must be doing something wrong haha.

I have 2 lucky eggs, dunno it thats relevant to anything.

You get another lucky egg at level 15 and two more at level 20. Plus they are like $0.99 cents. Use one and evolve your new Pokemon and have some fun instead of hoarding and min/maxing. Save the other if you want to do mass hatching or evolution later.

Geneijin

Don't use one now for short term gains. You'll get to 20 faster if you wait and accumulate resources enough to evolve for the entire duration of the double exp.

hirokazu

That's absurd. If you waited to catch 250 Pidgeys to do that then you are playing the game wrong. I reached level 20 with less than 500 pokemon caught total.
I didn't start using Lucky Egg until level 24, but no, it's not absurd with the amount of commons, which for me is primarily Zubat. I caught well over 100 Zubats by the time I was level 12.

I've caught over 500 Zubats already. Do tell how I'm playing the game wrong and how I'm not having fun with the game.

But if you just want to level up as fast as possible to 20 rather than maximum gain out of Lucky Eggs, that's up to you. The playing field mostly evens out past Level 20 anyway.

Ryck

Thanks guys for the info. Gonna wait till im a bit higher I guess. Any tips for leveling up? I catch about 10 a day and hit about 5-10 stops on average.

Darryl

Banned
Went to Kissimmee Lake Front near Orlando and it was incredible. Caught like 100 uncommon/semi-rare Pokemon over 2 hours. No pidgeys, rattatas, or zubats in sight. Never gonna be able to go back to catching mon in my small town again

lt519

But if you just want to level up as fast as possible to 20 rather than maximum gain out of Lucky Eggs, that's up to you. The playing field mostly evens out past Level 20 anyway.

I mean play however you'd like, but waiting until Level 24 to use a Lucky Egg seems silly when you are given 4 of them to help you up to 20. If you are that hard core about getting to Level 30 or 40 you can just buy another one later for $0.99. If you enjoy the game that much you can support them with a hard earned buck.

The last thing you said is the most important. Honestly none of the leveling past 20 (or 19, or 18, or 17) matters so getting to 20 quickly is the most important thing which can be accomplished faster using Lucky Eggs as you get them (with some evolution stacking of course).

Edit: You aren't wrong, it's just that I find some people get so lost in min/maxing and worrying about if they are doing everything right and by the book they forget to just play and enjoy. The IV nonsense has just made it more exaggerated the last few days and I see people at Level 11 worrying about IV instead of just enjoying the game.

Durden77

Have a 93% perfect Vaporeon. How much do the IVs really matter?

I really can't see them mattering THAT much because gyms basically can always be a win for the attacker if they want to spend the time and items on it. And I don't really see that changing. So while a higher CP Pokemon will be useful for sure, but someone will still bring it down.

https://pokemonnearby.io/ ...
* one and done scan (this one is offline)
* a version of nearby (working currently)
* a radar function (working currently)

"Nearby" version updates footprints as you walk (click on feet to get map if necessary).
radar function is in the link at the bottom of the 'nearby' page, it places nearby pings on a radar type display with N at the top.

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

: end of post that can't be seen by non gaf members.

please don't disseminate outside gaf or too many people start to use at one time and it becomes difficult for everyone.

hYtGgcb.png

xjh1Glq.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom