• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukemon

I don't understand why people are interested in IV's when a min IV pokemon can take down a gym just as easily as a max IV pokemon, and defenders basically see no difference either.

The way battling works, attackers have all the advantages, and a little difference in IV makes no difference at all, at least in my experience.

I can solo every gym I have come across with an 1800 CP Vaporeon, even if they have much higher CP Pokemon defending. That same Vaporeon, or any other Pokemon, can't possibly defend a gym if there is a halfway decent attacker.

The min-maxing of IVs seems pointless to me.

Right now? Yeah, probably, but having thrown away countless 4IV hatches in the main games, it's hard-coded into me to care about IVs, no matter how meaningless it currently is in Go. Not nearly min/maxing to the same degree here (anything over 75-80% is fine right now) but it's a curse I'm going to have to live with.

Right now? Yeah, probably, but having thrown away countless 4IV hatches in the main games, it's hard-coded into me to care about IVs, no matter how meaningless it currently is in Go. Not nearly min/maxing to the same degree here (anything over 75-80% is fine right now) but it's a curse I'm going to have to live with.

I see.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really feel they should have made it harder to take down gyms, or at least easier to defend a gym if you're right there next to it. It's just a non-stop turnstile of attackers and defenders on all the gyms, which in my mind renders them pointless. I mean, wouldn't it be cool to hold a gym for several days, and point to that gym to your friends and say "that gym is mine and hasn't been taken back for days because I worked my ass off to get this really great Pokemon in there." Or to just rule the whole town, at least for a little while?

Complistic

I see.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really feel they should have made it harder to take down gyms, or at least easier to defend a gym if you're right there next to it. It's just a non-stop turnstile of attackers and defenders on all the gyms, which in my mind renders them pointless. I mean, wouldn't it be cool to hold a gym for several days, and point to that gym to your friends and say "that gym is mine and hasn't been taken back for days because I worked my ass off to get this really great Pokemon in there." Or to just rule the whole town, at least for a little while?

How would you go about this and still make attacking fun? I think it's suppose to be a turnstile. That way you can go around and beat gyms.

Lunar FC

Just had to sprint 1/4 mile down my neighborhood to get to this golduck. Costed me all 11 ultra balls to me name but he was worth it. 1106 cp.

joecanada

so are the multiple evolution characters generally better? Like a CP72 gastly I'm assuming is crap all around but also it doesn't evolve...

but what if its an evee? should it have a minimum CP to start ? my eevee only has 43cp

Lukemon

I see.

The system right now favours attackers, that much is obvious. But it's very much a team thing - we clubbed together and buffed the Gym outside my house to level 7 or so and it survived three full days, and one down the road has been buffed to max level by another team, making it actually quite scary. Turns people off attacking, as it will be both tough and item-thirsty unless you're overleveled. I agree that the balance is off right now, but working with people on the same team helps to a degree.

How would you go about this and still make attacking fun? I think it's suppose to be a turnstile. That way you can go around and beat gyms.

First idea is an active defense system. So if I'm there at a gym I own, I should be able to heal the gym as fast as the attackers can damage it as long as I have the right Pokemon. As it is, the best you can heal is about 500 prestige per battle, while the attackers take down 2000-3000 per battle.

Next idea is just flat out make it harder to take down gyms that have more powerful Pokemon than you. I shouldn't be able to take down a gym with a 2300+ Snorlax with my little 1800 Vaporeon. That Snorlax is a boss and shouldn't be taken down so easily.

As it is, attacking is not fun at all, so I guess maybe our perspectives of "fun" is very different. It's why I prefer challenging video games over easy video games, as do most of us, I think...

Qwark

I see.

Is that an unpopular opinion? Maybe it's just because I'm in a very busy part of town, but defending a gym is worthless. Anybody can take down any level gym very quickly, and there's nothing myself or my team can do to stop it. The gym system is extremely flawed imo, I only do it for coins at this point.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Uh... What does it mean if all the Pokéstops in NYC are missing?

the-day-before-yesterday.jpg

Qwark

This is my first time hearing anything like this specifically about golf courses. It's interesting to hear though. My city golf course is an Electabuzz nest.

The only golf course I tried out so far was a Hitmonlee nest. Seems strange that golf courses are so variably consistent.

Ask away buddy, my (loving) gf supports me 100% and I get a kick knowing that I'm doing something that other people are blown away by (be it in a good or even bad way).

That's awesome. I don't think I've ever had a SO who is as enthusiastic about games as I am.

What's your long term Pokémon Go outing setup? Almost a full day outside seems like an endurance test more than anything.

wanders

Ive been thinking how trades will work. Like trading your high CP pokemon to someone who has a lower trainer level? I guess we have to wait to find out

How many 10k egg did you guys get so far?
All my friend got like 3 or 4 before lv. 20.
I'm lv. 24 now and only got one 10k egg so far. I'm kinda pissed.

Acinixys

The only golf course I tried out so far was a Hitmonlee nest. Seems strange that golf courses are so variably consistent.

Ive found two spots in my city that constantly spawn rares

Ive seen Kadabra, Nidoqueen and king, Aerodactyl, Omanyte, Gravler and Vulpix consistently spawn there

Im going to cycle there tomorrow and see if I can get anything good

Going to be at least a 40+ km round trip

My body is ready

Kal

I still don't understand how you are all catching high CP pokemons - the best I got was a 550 CP Gloom (I'm level 14).

Is that an unpopular opinion? Maybe it's just because I'm in a very busy part of town, but defending a gym is worthless. Anybody can take down any level gym very quickly, and there's nothing myself or my team can do to stop it. The gym system is extremely flawed imo, I only do it for coins at this point.

Yeah it is unpopular, unfortunately, and unlikely to change. The argument is always "then how would lower level trainers ever take gyms then?" and the answer I have is "they won't".

I hit level 23 a couple days ago and my motivation to keep playing pretty much vanished overnight.

I have no desire to keep leveling past 23, which means I have no desire to catch pidgeys/weedles/anything common.

I can take out any gym in town easily, most of them 100% solo with Vaporeon.

I have no way to control the holding of gyms. I put some crazy Gyarados/Lapras/whatever in there and it gets taken within minutes.

The biggest complaint of all is that there basically aren't ever any new Pokemon any more. I caught everything there is to catch in my relatively busy area, and nothing new ever shows up. The only way to get new Pokemon is through eggs (I only have 5k eggs right now, which are the worst), and through some super coincidence luck finding something in the wild that rarely ever shows up.

Great game while it lasted, but it didn't take long to burn out...

I hit 23 and my enthusiasm is still the same! You need to go outside you're daily spots! I just went to my local beach and caught a bunch of new Pokemon and Pokemon that are not native to my local area!!!

If you live somewhere where you can catch lots of Lapras candies then yes. That's nearly a perfect Lapras

I don't, it hatched from a 10km egg with 29 candy. So it sounds like IV matters the most when something is fully evolved, but what matters the most when trying to choose a Pokemon to evolve? CP?

Ayumi

My pokestop won't let me spin for balls/items anymore. It's blue, I spin, and it always says "Please wait a little", then turns purple and I get no items. The pokemon show up as normal though.

Not sure if it's worth mentioning but the map in the area is messed up and missing roads. It seems to be overlapping somehow. I don't play much outside so I don't know if it's only my area, or other places as well.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

PSFan

Level 15 and I just got my second 10k egg now.

I still don't understand how you are all catching high CP pokemons - the best I got was a 550 CP Gloom (I'm level 14).

I got my first 4 digit CP pokemon today. I was working at my worktable with the app open and 1136 Snorlax popped right in front of me. Threw a berry then a great ball and he was caught lol.

Isn't that for multiplayer where both trainers are on equal footing, and it actually makes a difference in battle? In Go, it's basically "attacker wins" every time, so min-maxing is 100% pointless with the current rule set.

Someone mentioned future features... maybe min-maxing will make a difference there, but that's not a promise and not nearly enough incentive for me to give a shit now.

For me, the whole idea of IVs and shit like that is something I'd rather not exist. Eventually, the people whose only hobby is Pokémon Go will hold every gym and it'll be a bastard to get them out of it.

Permanently A

I don't, it hatched from a 10km egg with 29 candy. So it sounds like IV matters the most when something is fully evolved, but what matters the most when trying to choose a Pokemon to evolve? CP?

Hang onto that Lapras since it will be primo when trading gets introduced.

CP matters the most when evolving yeah, because the dot on the CP arc stays the same for the evolved mon.

Sealtest

Would a 420 Squirtle be worth evolving to blastoise or should I wait? im currently 18 and sitting at around 130 candies.

Lukemon

Would a 420 Squirtle be worth evolving to blastoise or should I wait? im currently 18 and sitting at around 130 candies.

I'm 20 and have a 501 (great IVs fwiw) and a 463, both still a way off max CP. I'd probably hold off, unless you don't see them often... which, with 130 candy, I assume isn't the case.

Sealtest

I'm 20 and have a 501 (great IVs fwiw) and a 463, both still a way off max CP. I'd probably hold off, unless you don't see them often... which, with 130 candy, I assume isn't the case.

The corner from my house seems to spawn anything between 2-3 every few hours so getting them isn't that hard.

But i'd trade that spawn for a sandshrew spawn anyday :(

LucidFlux

About to hit 23 myself and am just now working on my first 10k. I'm sure I would have gotten more but my 9 egg slots are full most the time so I'm sure I've missed picking up another 10k somewhere along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom